Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Beetle Engine Problems

Comments

• Bummer. I got rid of my VW and got a Rav4. German cars are a blast to drive but when something goes wrong, $$$! The funnest car I ever had was a 1973 BMW 2002, but it always needed something repaired....Maybe your daughter needs to get a p/t job to help with the bills?
    good luck! :confuse:
  • adeeadee Posts: 1
    I have recently bought a 02 1.6 Beetle. After the MOT was done the Traction light came on (triangle with arrow around it) and the Engine Check light is also on. I have heard that if you overfill the oil the ECL will come on. Is this true? I am taking it tomorrow so would like to get some idea of what could be the issue before I go. If anyone can help with both light issues that will be great!
  • My daughter's 2004 NBC has had numerous problems, of course out of warranty, and Volkswagen never has the parts. Now the oil pressure warning light is coming on at low RPMs, has oil, is this a common problem? We no there are two oil pressure sensors of course they only have one in stock. Any ideas, disgusted in Alabama.
  • I have a 2001 Beetle, and the EPC light has gone on no less than 8 times in the last 6 months. Whenever it goes on, I can't go above 30 MPH. I've taken it to the dealer every time, and they fix it long enough for me to drive it home and have the same problem a few days later. Now the dealer's had it for 2 weeks and have finally admitted that they don't know what's wrong with it.

Has anyone else had this problem?
  • My 07 Beetle has been stalling at high speeds. I have been on the freeway going 55+ mph and my car suddenly tries to stop as if it's not getting fuel. Once, it completely stopped running, I pulled over and it immediately started again. Other times it will just act as if it will stop and doesn't. Has anyone had this problem?? Cause?
  • I know i'm not much of a car guy, but i took the cover off the engine to see if i can replace the spark plugs and i can't figure out how to get to them. Is there a special tool i need? How does the dealership replace the plugs? I hope they don't have to take the manifold off to get to it, that would be a pain in the [non-permissible content removed].

Thanks,

Charlie
  • Yes! It started for me around 70K miles? happens typically when the tank is around a 1/4 full or so. did anyone know the cause?
  • edale528edale528 Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 VW New Beetle TDI and will soon be moving from Austin, Texas to Montana. I'm trying to decide if keeping the Beetle is smart, or if I need to go with something with AWD. Also, my little beetle has been a little touchy about starting in cold weather. Can anyone tell me how these lovely little cars handle really bad winter weather? (Way below freezing, icy roads, blizzards, packed snow roads, etc). Thanks!
  • edale528edale528 Posts: 2
    Can anyone hazard a guess as to why my 2002 New Beetle TDI won't start? I replaced the battery because it started the other day after a jump, but that didn't do the trick. Now it has been at the mechanic's all week and he still hasn't figured out what is wrong. He is concerned that it may be the Fuel Injection Pump, but really wants to find something else because that pump is so expensive. Any ideas? The car goes lublublublublublub but just won't make that extra step to turn over. I did run Biodiesel in it last summer, but stopped when it started to get cold. Thanks!
  • rparrisrparris Posts: 2
    I used to blame my car's electrical issues on being a first year car. I have a 98 beetle and it seems to have some similar issues to others that I've read about. My car has been stalling lately; when it tries to start it turns over but then idles until it shuts off. Also, another day it wouldn't even turn all the way over. After I walked home and then my husband came home and drove me to check out the car, it started.
    Our local mechanic can read the codes; he's reset the codes and then the car doesn't stall any more. That happened last week, the car was fine for a few days and then it wouldn't start again. This has happened several months ago; the mechanic resets the codes and it's fine for a while. I need to find out why the codes are screwing up though. This isn't rocket science. Either something electronic needs to be replaced or.....
    Also my engine light is on all the time, but the car is fine; I just make sure it always has the proper amount of fluids. Thanks for any advice!
  • rparrisrparris Posts: 2
    Did you ever figure out what was causing the stalling?
  • sylvia61sylvia61 Posts: 5
    DONT FEEL BAD ABOUT ALL THE PROBLEMS AND HIGH CHARGES IT COSTS TO FIX OR NOT FIX THEM.MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT HAS BEEN ON FOR A YEAR NOW.I HAD A OXYGEN SENSOR PUT IN MINE LAST YEAR, AND THE LIGHT STILL CAME ON. I HAD IT CHECKED AGAIN 2 WEEKS AGO, AND 3 MORE CODES CAME UP AS TO THE PROBLEM.THESE WERE ELECTRCAL PROBLEMS. MINE HAS TO BE INSPECTED NEXT MONTH,AND IF I CAN GET IT INSPECTED WITH THE LIGH T ON I AM.IF NOT I WILL GET THE LIGHT CODED OUT AND HAVE IT INSPECTED RIGHT THEN.THE HECK WITH PAYING THEM HIGH REPAIR COSTS EVERY YEAR BEFORE INSPECTION.IF I COULD I WOULD GET RID OF MINE.THE COST TO HAVE THEM WORKED ON IS REDICULOS.I PUT A PIECE OF BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE OVER THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT , AND DROVE ON.I HATE THE THING, AND DO NOT TRUST IT. :sick:
  • rhonagrhonag Posts: 1
    we have had much the same problem for over a year. we did have the spark plugs changed, but to no avail. the sputtering has gotten worst. we are truly not sure if we should change the turbo all together, because this has been suggested, or if changing the catalytic converter is wiser. the mechanics really do not seem to know what comes first or what to do first. :confuse:
  • mbeck75mbeck75 Posts: 4
    I have an '02 New Beetle Turbo S. It was doing the same thing at high speeds. Several took a look at it but none could find the problem. I replaced the fuel filter twice since two dealerships said that was the issue ... it did have that code, but this did not fix the issue. I went on like this for well over a year. It had started smoking - black smoke - pretty bad when it would spit and sputter. I'd been told that the turbo had gone out causing it to do this at high speeds. It would nearly give you whiplash when it would start this mess! Finally a mechanic decided to do a smoke test and found a $10 hose that was completely buried under the hood and completely shredded on the concealed side. He replaced it and the car has been great since! Hope this helps!
  • shookbradshookbrad Posts: 1
    Does any one know what the sequence is for retreving the check engine light service codes. I remember on another vehicle I had to put the car in reverse and turn the key on 7 times and put the car in Park and the ck engine light would blink out the service codes.
    I am looking for the sequence the VW Beetle uses for this and what the service codes are. Mine is a 2002 turbo.
    Thanks in advance.
    Brad
  • luvbuggluvbugg Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2001 NEW BEETLE AND MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. I TOOK IT TO THE MECHANIC AND IT HAD A CODE THAT SAID THERE WAS A BAD CONNECTION TO THE BATTERY. HE FIXED IT. NO MORE CODES BUT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS STILL ON. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTONS???? THANKS!!! :confuse:
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,810
    One of the more common causes of a check engine light is a gas cap that isn't sealing properly. You might want to start your check there. Since it's a 2001 it's possible you might need to replace it. Since it's not giving you a code, that seems a likely possibility

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• I have a 99 Beetle GLS 2.0L gas engine. Car has been great for 9 years and 63,000 miles! Replaced the water pump last year - covered by the power train warranty (10 years/100,000 miles.) Dodged an $800.00 bullet there. No other problems - just routine maintenance, brake pads, etc. From what I've read from other owners, I guess I've been lucky. I love the car, especially with gas prices as they are now. I have a 2007 4Runner that gets used on an as-needed basis only.

My problem? After removing & replacing CD changer to free a stuck CD, I inadvertently shorted the radio circuit. The "Fuse Card" inside the fuse box door doesn't indicate which is the radio fuse, so I pulled each fuse and found all were okay. Discovered there is also a fuse on the back of the radio (of course the manual doesn't tell you - they want you to go to the dealer.) I borrowed the radio removal tools from a friend's auto body shop, removed the radio & found the 10 amp fuse was blown. Had to remove the three plug-in connectors for the radio wiring to get the fuse out. Replaced the fuse & connectors & all was fine (I thought.) Went to start the car & it turned over but didn't start. I immediately thought of the fuses and found I inadvertently put fuse #29 in slot #30. Put it back into #29 and the car started & runs fine, but the check engine light is on. What the f...! Can't get to a shop to check the codes for a few days. Any ideas anyone?

Also, since replacing the radio fuse, it works okay but no longer shuts off automatically when the key is removed from the ignition. Also, the CD changer won't recognize discs. It goes through the magazine check but won't play - says "Disc Error" even using commercially made discs. I've read that solving one problem creates others but I haven't had that experience - until now. Weird! Any advice will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Punchbuggy-yellow (A.K.A. Happyvolvo.)
  • sylvia61sylvia61 Posts: 5
    well guys and gals, i have told you all the problems ive had with my vw.after 4 diagnostic checks, the stupid vw dealer said the computer was messed up and neede replaced.they were charging 1475.00, to replace it.i found a import shop that was near by and they are replacing it with a used one for 370.00 to 500.00.the check engine light has been on for a year now. couldnt get it inspected til this light was out.somewhere along all the problems the dealer has crashed my computer, but wont take the blame.even vw of america wont help with it.so everybody who owns one, you are on a repair trail that never wants to stop.so if you have a good dependable auto, hang on to it.these new vw are not a cheap car to own. :sick: <a href=" :sick:
  • hoot81hoot81 Posts: 1
    We recently bought a used 2000 VW Beetle.
    After driving it a couple of times it overheated. It melted and blew 2 plugs out near the motor and that let water spray out onto to motor.
    The mechanic replaced the timing belt and the water pump.
    I drove it a couple of days and it overheated again.
    I knew the folks we bought it off of and they said they hadnt had any problems with it. It hadnt been driven since winter. Now after owning it 2 months we have only got to drive it about a week tops. Its overheating again. I have a thermostat ordered from VW and we will replace it this week. The fan is running fine. Any ideas what else it may be.
    I am so aggrivated.
    We also had to replace the a/c compressor. We bought a used one and it was fine until one of the lines blew. This is the only used part we have put on it. The compressor is fine but the line is going to cost 272 plus labor..