Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tires, tires, tires

Comments

• micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I, on the other hand, had bad luck with BF Goodrich. Two sets of tires, two separate cars, one set came, brand new, with a pull to the left that couldn't be diagnosed or fixed, but went away when I change brands of tires after a lot of frustration. A second set developed a "radial pull" in a single tire after about 10,000 miles of driving.

I don't condemn BG Goodrich - just bad luck. But since my luck and BF Goodrich don't blend well, I'll stay away from them just to be safe.

On the other hand I have had great luck with Goodyear tires.

So what's my point? With hundreds of thousands of customers, and an internet where people can complain and isolated incidents get blown out of proportion, it's unfair to blast a company - Consumer Reports tabulates complaints and incidents, and sometimes statistical patterns emerge and sometimes they don't - in the short run I should stay away from BF Goodrich and you should stay away from Goodyear, but it doesn't mean we wouldn't be perfectly happy with the brand that has been bad luck for the other.
    This month CR tests several sport sedans, one that comes with summer tires. While summer tires work well in summer, this test confirmed that summer tires work very, very poorly in winter, and winter only tires (not "all season" tires) work very, very well in winter. Who needs four wheel drive when winter tires are available:

From Consumer Reports, May 2006:

In winter conditions, we tested our [rear wheel drive, European sedan] with its original Continental [summer only] tires and also with Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires in acceleration and braking. With winter tires the [rear wheel drive, European sedan] took 123 feet to accelerate from 5 to 20 mph, and just over 44 feet to brake from 20 to 0 mph. With the summer tires the [rear wheel drive, European sedan] struggled to crawl up to speed. It took 223 feet to accelerate and 81 feet to stop.
  • autowriteautowrite Posts: 226
    The next time I purchase tires they will be Michelin Symmetry 225/60T16 98T. The only other well-known tires with the 98T rating are the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 and the Yokohama AVID TRZ. Although some Honda and Tire dealers recommend that I could go down to a 97T or 97S it's not recommended by Honda, Michelin or Consumer Reports. I have read the reader reviews on Edmunds (thanks Edmunds readers) and customer reviews on 1010Tires.com, TireRack.com and odyclub.com. I also spoke with a tire dealer in Waterloo, Ontario who had Yokohama tires on his Odyssey and they rode too hard.
  • pdc2pdc2 Posts: 15
    Am I glad to have asked about changing the tire size. Thank you all for the enlightenment. (There is always the off chance that some tire sales person thought I was an knowlegeable guy and let me choose what I want; then it would be fun trying to sell the Escape to another knowledgeable guy like myself).

From the web links, found 2 tires available here:
    Goodyear Fortera silent armor 104T OWL US$160 Discount Tire (Can.$199-25, in Calgary)
    Firestone Destination LE US$81 TireRack
    (Can.$175 in Calgary).

Since both have very many good reviews by vehicle owners, I would go for the Goodyear tires. Just a little puzzled by the huge difference in prices in the US.

Thanks again.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    If you're in Calgary, you might want to check out Nokian WR tires at Kal Tire. They work great in rain and snow/ice and don't wear any more than summer tires in summer. 100,000 km treadwear warrenty. I have them on a Pathfinder and wouldn't recommend anything else.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    My neighbor has an '02 Mazda Protege DX (base model), with the original tires (at almost 55k miles-ha!), which of course need to be replaced. I was surprised to learn this car came with 195/55/15s from the factory, kinda sporty for such a basic ride; the '01s and previous had 14" rims. Anyway, if she stays with this size, it's looking like replacements are going to be around $500 for the set, at least retail, for anything 'brand name' including installation and all the fees. Kinda steep for a grocery getter, IMO.

So I have two questions: can anyone recommend a better (cheaper) way to purchase tires, other than our local dealers (Just Tires, Firestone, GoodYear, Sears, etc.)? How detrimental would changing the aspect ratio be (to say a 60 or 65)? In checking Just Tires site, for example, the difference in price between 195/55/15s and and 195/65/15s is pretty alarming (like 40% lower, plus a choice of 4 versus 14 varieties, for the latter). Am I to assume this will cause a ~20% error in the speedometer calibration, among other potential problems?

For the record, we're in Chicago, so something 'all-season' would be best. We really don't get that much snow any more, and it's pretty flat here, so nothing too serious.
    Go to the Tyre Bible for a size calculator to compare your options. You can go up to 20mmm wider with MOST cars but you need to watch the diameter carefully. Tirerack.com also has one buried somewhere on their website. 195/65 's aren't an option, you'll have clearance (diameter) issues. Unfortunately 205/55's, an option that would probably fit fine, are also expensive. I recommend buying from the Tirerack in your required size - 195/55-15, but choose an H rated tire; most tires in that size are V or W rated and ride really, really badly (do you have H or V rated on the car now - probably H rated). I had V rated tires once and they were awful. Tirerack can also tell you what sizes will fit, they actually measure clearances.

Get them installed at a Walmart - much cheaper than any Tirerack "approved" installer I have ever used (about $12 per wheel vs. $20 or more per wheel).
    I was thinking I'd get something from TireRack and bring them to one of my local non-corporate (ethnic) installers, usually it runs $5-10 a tire.

Didn't realize I'd have clearance issues with the 65-series, thanks for the tip. That makes sense, especially since Proteges used to ride on 14" tires, and the body didn't change any from 01-02 when they made the change.

Any recommendations on brand or variety? I saw some Kumis, I think, on tirerack for like $58 each, they looked OK. Anyone have an opinion of Dunlops, in general?
    You don't seem to have a lot of choices if you want to stick with H rated tires (most of the ones TR lists are V or W rated). I have owned Kumhos, two sets, in the past and thought they were good tires. I have heard the ASX tires aren't as harsh as some V/W rated tires, but I have no personal experience. The Traction T/A's, I owned in that exact size, and they were terrible.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,160
    In the 195/65/15 HR size, despite almost majority vilification of the GY LS-H's, I have been haing good long wearing luck.

I got some Toyo TPT's on good luck with Toyo Proxes T1S's, but as you know the Proxes are MAX ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE and I have yet to put on the TPT's, since the GY LS-H 's look good to go to 100-130k miles. I might just change them out just because I am curios about the TPT's. I also have heard good things on the ASX Kumho's, but other than a very short test drive (nice tires by the way) they are known not to wear too long.

I have 185/70/14 S (less than H rated) Dunlops SP 20FE's on a Honda Civic and believe me their 31/32 rating is well earned?!!! In their case, thank God for Firestone's, which have a strangle hold on last place!! :( :)
    I just checked out TireRack, the two most promising (low price, decent ratings) were Sumitomo HTR+ and Dunlop SP31s. Also, Sears has Kumho ECSTA ASXs on sale right now, though not exactly cheap ($82 each plus disposal, installation, blah blah bhal), and they're V rated. Seems the majority of 55 series tires I've seen are V rated, actually. Ruking, I take it you're less than happy with your Dunlops as well? Care to elaborate?
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    ...is they never have any low priced tires available. I guess they consider every one of their tires to be premium so they should carry a premium pricetag. I have to laugh every time I read where someone has replaced their Goodyear tires with something like a Kumho $30 tire (or something equivilant) and the replacement tires ends doing everything much better than did the Goodyears. I have done this many times myself and have found it to be true. I will never buy another set of Goodyears.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,160
    Sure, be happy to. The OEM Dunlops on the Honda Civic (185/70/14) given the current wear rate, is projected to last a MAX of 50-60k miles!! Now I realize that some folks would consider this good. However this is in stark contrast to the 100k-130k that I project on the GY LS-H's. They are stable at higher speeds (had them up to 90/95 cruising). They are not the most responsive of tires.

So to solve your size and immediate problem the Sumitomo HTR's would be one of my choices given your 195/55/15 universe. This is in consideration of price, need for all seasons. I would also have the ASX's on my choice list, but given your price points it would seem the Sumitomos come closer to them.
  • vppcvppc Posts: 58
    Hi, guys!

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus SES w/almost 109,000 miles. I just bought about 2,000 miles ago some Bridgestone Turanza LS-T tires! I LOVE THEM! Smooth, reasonably quiet, awesome wet traction and wet braking, great handling, and 80,000 mile rating! I bought them OTD with lifetime rotation, lifetime balancing, free flat repairs, and tire replacement program just $490. I also got a FREE XM Satellite Radio tuner for the car ($79 value)!

The tires' true colors shined after about 1,000 miles. I love them and I recommend them!

- Alex
    Go to Sears and they will not only pricematch, but give you an additional 10% OFF!

Wal-Mart has the BF Goodrich Traction T/A V for $88.82 each. If you go to Sears, they would do it for $79.94 each. But, you have to go to a Sears in a town that has Wal-Mart also, it HAS TO BE LOCAL. Stores are very nitpicky on price match, so it may or may not be worth it to you.

Just know that they will pricematch, but if it fails, Wal-Mart has the tires for $88.82 each, so you are looking at $394.32 including protection plan and w/o tax.

Another option is go to a ma/pa shop and they can order you some off-brand or Cooper labeled tire and would be a little cheaper, but Wal-Mart is generally more convenient and open on Sundays.

Good Luck!
    - Alex

P.S. The tires above are 60,000 mile and rate well!
    The City of Chicago, believe it or not, does not have a Wal-Mart yet. Not one. There is one in Evanston (~10 miles away or so), so it's not the biggest pain, but I'd have to save some money for it to be worth the hassle (10 miles in the Chicago area can often take 45 minutes in traffic). I will check around, though. If they have a nice selection and good prices, then it could be worth checking out. I (and my neighbor, the tires are for her ride) thank all of you for your input and assistance!
  • dwray47dwray47 Posts: 1
    Hello, I just joined and I sure could use some advice or help. I have a new 2006 Ford F150 Supercrew 2WD. The truck currently has BF Goodrich tires size 265-60-18. These tires feel every bump and crack in the road and are driving me crazy with the bumpy ride. I will not go into all the trouble I have had gone through to have these tires checked but after two two forced road balance, I had them checked on a spin balancer. Well they were out some and one had a flat spot in it. Ford is going to buy me a set of new tires. I wanted the Michelin 18 inch tire but they will not produce these again until 2007. I do not know why but they have stopped producing them as of now. I need someone to tell me what would be a good riding tire that does not bounce. Should I go with a different set of Goodrich Long Trail TA Radials?? How about the Yokohama or the Bridgestone HP. I pull a 20 Ft deck boat and a 26 FT TT Lite weight with my truck. Ford is going to replace the tires but I need some help trying to figure out what is the best tire out there in the 265-60-18 size. I know the Tire Rack reviews has the Yokohama rated #1 in the 18 inch tire. Any suggestions?? Looking for a good smooth ride and not much noise and something that will tow.
    Thanks
    Dwray47
    Hi, there!

It's me again. I checked out Discount Tire Co. and see there are NUMEROUS stores in the Chicago area. Here are two prices I got for you:

(1) Hankook 45,000 mile V-rated tire: $318.12 tax and all

(2) Yokohama 70,000 mile H-rated tire: $445.92 tax and all

** Includes FREE ROTATION, LIFETIME BALANCING

Tire replacement is $10-$11 each depending on tire.

How about that?

- Alex

www.discounttire.com
    I will soon be replacing the the Goodyears on my Corolla because I simply can't stand these tires. I usually buy my tires from the Tire Rack as I can usually get the tires I'm looking for at the lowest price by doing so. I take my vehilces to an automotive service center on an Air Force base that only charges me $8 per tire to mount and balance.

I have narrowed my choices down to the Kumho AS 795's and the Bridgestone LS-T's. I have a set of the 795's on my Tercel (which now belongs to my daughter) and I am very happy with these tires. The vast majority of customer reviews for both of these tires on the Tire Rack's web site are good so I don't think I'd be disappointed with either. However, I'm wondering if the Bridgestones are worth the higher price. The LS-T's can currently be had for $55.50 each (including a $50 rebate for a set of four), but they normally sell for $68. The 795's sell for only $36. The only real difference is the Kumho's are a 70K mile tire, whereas the Bridgestones are an 80K tire. Would it be worth spending the extra $76 (if purchased while the rebate is still offered) or $88 for the Bridgestones to get the extra 10K mileage rating? I know Bridgestone makes excellent tires, I just don't know if they're better than the Kumhos, or at least better enough to justify the difference in price.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    big al, I'm surprised Walmart matched tireracks price on those tires. Doesn't Walmart having shipping charges on its tires as well?

A lot of tire dealerships will say $100 a tire. Then say the price includes FREE mounting, balancing and valve stems. Which makes comparison/price matching shopping difficulty.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 843
    Walmart on shipping (I looked up Michelin Cross Terrain for my Envoy)

Item can only be shipped to a store, not to an address. There is no-cost shipping to a Wal-Mart Tire & Lube Express. Pay for the tires at the store.

$9.76 plus tax for installation, new valve stem, lifetime rotation & balance and road hazard coverage (full replacement first 25%, prorated after that.)
    Bottgers,

I really couldn't tell you about the Kumho's, but I can tell you that the LS-T is an excellent choice. Besides the longer mileage, they have the UNI-T w/AQ-II technology which in lamens terms, the tread is an advanced design that allows superb wet and dry traction throughout the LIFE of the tire.

Here are some real life examples: with the LS-T's, I was able to floor it from a stop AND slam my brakes to a stop, and DID NOT SLIDE! I can drive on curvy roads like they are dry pavement. The ride is smooooooth and corner well. Not to mention Firestone can offer the Tire Replacement program in which if a tire is defected or damaged beyond repair and the tread is 3/32 or higher, they will replace the tire FREE - only costing you an additional purchase of the protection plan. I opted for this, because the regular price for my tire size (215/60/16) was $110.99! And the protection plan is only around $10 per tire.

Firestone also offers 90 Days Same As Cash on their credit card you can apply for - and oil changes only cost $17.49 for SYNTHETIC BLEND if you use the card.

You can also purchase a LIFETIME ALIGNMENT PLAN for $99 if you haggle with the salesman. I did and it has paid for itself MANY TIMES.

Firestone also does courtesy inspections in which they top off fluids and look for any problems while working on the car. They offer a COMPLETE inspection for $19.99 (give or take), but sometimes have coupons for FREE complete inspections.

If you sign-up online at www.mastercareusa.com, you can have e-mail coupons that can save you further.

I have Firestone for random things for two years now and have no complaints. Know that you are getting GREAT service at reasonable prices.

As for the tires, pay more and get more. You WILL be getting a TOP OF THE LINE tire and notice it for 80,000 miles to come.

Peace,
    - Alex
    I do appreciate your input, foregoing the Firestone commercial of course. I have little doubt the LS-T is a very good tire. However, there's no indication it's a better tire than the 795. The numbers on the comparison chart on the tirerack.com for these tires are almost identical in every catagory, with the 795 having better numbers in snow traction. Compared to the Big-O store brand tires the 795's replaced on my daughter's Tercel, the 795's are quieter, smoother riding, and they seem to provide better wet and dry traction. There hasn't been enough miles put on these tires yet to determine how well they're going to wear. I personally haven't yet seen enough information to show me the LS-T is worth the extra money compared to the 795's. I'm afraid I'm going to have to see more than "top of the line" to justify the higher price. Because one tire carries a more premium price than another doesn't automatically make it the better tire. Goodyear has been proving that for years.

Like I said in an ealier post, I'll be buying my tires from the Tire Rack, so none of the Firestone stuff will be an option for me. I'm sure the TR has similar protection programs available if I decide I want one.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,942
    Dunno - doing their taxes? It's still too early here to change over to summer tires; the studs can stay on until the end of the month, so that can't be the excuse.

If you're bored, imagedrive on over and see me!

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• wamba2000wamba2000 Posts: 146
    We're all still here, thinking about summer driving.
    Question: I recently purchased 4 Yokohama Avid TRZ tires for my Honda Element. I noticed yesterday in a well-lit spoot that these tires have directional indications build into the sidewall and that 3 of the 4 are installed incorrectly (the inward facing side is facing outward.) They've been driven about 400 miles. I will be taking the vehicle back to the tire shop today to have it corrected.

Should I have any concerns about damage from driving with them improperly installed? FYI The markings for the inward and outward sides are not very prominent---you'd have to look closely to see them.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 845
    like rotation (directional tires).
    You have asymetric tires that have "outside" and "inside".
    I would talk to whomever is in charge and ask them how do they rate themselves as "professional tire installer" after such "faux pas".

Krzys

PS The only damage could be to the pride and busines of the shop. I would not use their services anymore.
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Posts: 365
    I found that Sears has a sale on Goodyear Assurance tires, so I was wondering how Sears rates for installation and overall experience. Anyone have any experiences with Sears?
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,220
    I bought a set of Pilots for my Jetta when Sears had them on sale. They were very professional and did a good job, but did try to sell me an alignment (which I declined). I got the lifetime balance and rotation, but if memory serves, I never returned to have that done, because I traded the car soon thereafter.

Indeed, it seems to be a pattern for me that I trade a car in shortly after purchasing a new set of high-end tires. :)
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Posts: 146
    Thanks, all, for the good advice. Let me explain what happened when I took the car in.

The shop manager and helper were quite surprised, obviously didn't know the Yokohama product they sell very well at all. In their defense, I didn't notice the markings either; you really have to know to look for them.

I also talked with them about mounting the tires using the yellow dot that is painted by the manufacturer to be at the valve stem. THe yellow dot is the "lightest" part of the tire, and should be aligned with the valve stem to minimize the need for wore weights when balancing (I read this on the Yoko website.) They say they had never heard of this.

Bottom line, the tires are now all right side out, they were all re-mounted and balanced with the yellow dot by the valve stem. AND....they gave me a free oil change coupon to be used whenever for my inconvenience. They also said they would use the yellow dot suggestion and talk with their rep about any other tips for mounting.

The AVID TRZ is an awesome tire. Great grip, quiet and handles well so far. Since I have an 80,000 mile warranty and the tires need to be rotated vevery 5,000 miles, I will be back at this shop a few times....