Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tires, tires, tires

1241242243244245247»

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 50,525
    Interesting, I never had a shop do more than offer to tow me in. Back in the 70s I canoed with my mechanic and he never charged me for three Volvo tows. Then his wife ran off with her dentist and he lost the service station. :'(

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 3,507
    stever said:

Interesting, I never had a shop do more than offer to tow me in.

The things we did (and still do to a degree) for the customers when there was loyalty to us is a list way to long to print out. The study, training and investment in the tooling that went way above and beyond the average shop was nothing more than an extension of that same commitment. This is where "you get what you pay for" rings right back at consumerism. By taking away the meager profits that we built our lives with, the perks were the first things to go with them.
    edited August 11
    Got your robotic tire changing machine on order yet? I'm sure that Snap-On will be happy to finance a Quadriga ATC 1000 for you.

Hm, since I'm probably not taking this van to Newfoundland, maybe I should cheap out on some "town" tires. A set of 4 Falken Sincera Touring 94T SN211 are on sale for $240.00. I'm hoping to dial the miles back on this one to ~5,000 a year "soon".

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 34,488
    stever said:

Got your robotic tire changing machine on order yet? I'm sure that Snap-On will be happy to finance a Quadriga ATC 1000 for you.

Hm, since I'm probably not taking this van to Newfoundland, maybe I should cheap out on some "town" tires. A set of 4 Falken Sincera Touring 94T SN211 are on sale for $240.00.

I've had two sets of Falkens. One set on my Saturn ION wore out pretty quickly; the other set are what's on my Elantra GT at the moment and seem to be wearing well.

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 3,507
    Six months same as cash. http://subaruretailersolutions.com/equipment/index.php?c=400&s=401

You would have to change a lot of tires when you are only grossing ten to twenty dollars profit per tire. (if that)
    edited August 11
    The Falkens get lousy tread life reviews, so even at $60 a tire, it's probably cheaper to buy better.

Besides, they are out of stock everywhere. :D

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 6,824

andres3 said:

Tire Rack is the best thing to ever happen for the consumer with tires. Before them, the industry was a black hole of little information, maximum prices, and minimum quality.

The pluses for Tire Rack and everything else internet based didn't come without some cost. I remember a time when if one of the regular customers who was getting ready to go to work went out to their car and found a flat tire they could call us and we would come up with some kind of a solution for them. When they became Tire Racks customer instead of ours, they forfeited that.

andres3 said:

Tire Rack is the best thing to ever happen for the consumer with tires. Before them, the industry was a black hole of little information, maximum prices, and minimum quality.

The pluses for Tire Rack and everything else internet based didn't come without some cost. I remember a time when if one of the regular customers who was getting ready to go to work went out to their car and found a flat tire they could call us and we would come up with some kind of a solution for them. When they became Tire Racks customer instead of ours, they forfeited that.

That is very true, the after-care with Tire Rack if there is a problem down the road with a tire (literally) is lacking. Can't help but have issues when your seller is 2/3 of a nation away from you. However, a great manufacturer (like Continental) will frown upon another local tire service center frowning at you for not having bought the tires from them.

This happened to me at Discount/America's Tires, they frowned at me for buying them from Tire Rack and weren't helpful. I told Continental what happened and they took action. Since they sell Continental tires, they MUST SERVICE them at discount Tire for warranty issues, regardless of where they were bought, at least in Continental's view (and the consumer). Discount Tire did a quick turnaround as I'm sure they didn't want all their tire orders cancelled. I got my warranty pro-rated service. They stood behind the defected product. The tire shop makes money too, I had to pay the pro-ration and installation.
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 8,942
    My local tire store is an Authorized Installer for Tire Rack, but they can usually come close to matching Tire Rack's price once you adjust for shipping and the fact that they charge for mounting and balancing Tire Rack tires but not tires that you buy from them. I usually pay the relatively minor price differential since the shop provides excellent service.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2004 X3 2.5i Son's: 2009 328i

I've bought a lot from Costco lately because they've beat Tire Rack on both price AND service. Also, shipping costs have skyrocketed far faster than inflation. It used to be that the sales taxes saved (I know; not according to the State, but let's be real), was enough to cover the shipping cost and more. Now it's the other way around; better off paying the 8% CA sales tax.
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
    If Costco wasn't an hour away I'd likely go that route. My guess is that their tires are fresher, but maybe not if they all come from the same distribution warehouse.

edited August 11
    stever said:

If Costco wasn't an hour away I'd likely go that route. My guess is that their tires are fresher, but maybe not if they all come from the same distribution warehouse.

Buy a sports car, then your tires will be even fresher. You have to special order any "max" performance tire and above from Costco. They only carry the everyday pedestrian tires in store stock.
    edited August 11
    hm, everydaypedestrian.com is available. That could be a perfect vanity domain for me. I could blog about minivans and chambray shirts and chinos. (No offense to the BestBuy crowd).

Speaking of freshness, how old is too old for new tires? Would you sacrifice a year for every 10% off? Therefore, would you buy 2011 tires if they were half off?
    Opinions vary; seems like six years is the most common rule of thumb. But if the tires were properly stored for 5 years, they still may be okay for another five installed on your car. Or so I've read.

The last set I got were a year old, and I figured that was good enough.

Good question....

• capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 838
    andres3 said:

Speaking of freshness, how old is too old for new tires? Would you sacrifice a year for every 10% off? Therefore, would you buy 2011 tires if they were half off?

I think you will find that 3 year old tires are treated by everyone in the industry as the same as fresh from the factory. Beyond 3 years, you might find some discounts.
    Got new tires and got a bit of a weird look when I asked how fresh they were. All four are 4815s, made in the US. Pretty fresh.

That means my tires were made during Thanksgiving week last year. I hope the folks laying up the tires weren't half asleep on L-tryptophan. :)

• slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 653
    stever said:

Got new tires and got a bit of a weird look when I asked how fresh they were. All four are 4815s, made in the US. Pretty fresh.

That means my tires were made during Thanksgiving week last year. I hope the folks laying up the tires weren't half asleep on L-tryptophan. :)

produced on Black Friday?

ZZZZzzzzzzz.....

:D
    edited August 24
    I do have a leak in the left front - Michigan alloys. :)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 52,340
    You bought NEW tires?!!

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

edited August 24
    It was a bit far to drive to Juárez on the old ones for a nice used set. :)

On the plus side, the value of the minivan just doubled.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 46,839

You bought NEW tires?!!

I think @stever 's account has been hacked!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs