Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tires, tires, tires

Comments

• rs_pettyrs_petty Posts: 423
    My experience with wholesale clubs and Walmart have been the guy doing the installing isn't trained or well supervised. I've had wheels butchered with errant impact guns, multiple trips to the balance machine, and poor service. I found a local shop from the installer list in tirerack and have used him for the last 2 sets of tires. In both cases 1st job was done right. I paid about $60 for the set of 4 which, IMHO was well spent.
  • wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581
    Yes, From coast to coast where there is a service facility in their store that does tires.

As last poster mentions, employees working in those centers come and go.

I had tires replaced last week. Installer did not secure one of the wheel covers on passenger side very well. I found it almost half off when I got home. Lucky me.

When doing business with any installer, have them inspect the vehicle before installation (noting existing situation of condidtion).

After installation, go inspect your car before you pay. If there is a new scratch, dent, or broken wheel cover or anything of this nature, then let the clerk know. You'll have the power..
  • Hi, all...my first post ever. I'm the happy owner of a 2004 Volvo S60-R w/all the premium/upgrade packages except ground FX, which looked to be just cladding, after all. I'm a few weeks away from swapping off the Blizzaks for new summer tires and wondered if anyone out there has any info to suggest that I should look beyond the Pirellis that came stock with the car, which were Z-rated P-Zero Rosso, 18x8 (235/40). I have no complaint with the Pirellis, but since there are other tires out there I thought I'd check on other folks' experiences with different brands. Although I'm not married to them, I've been getting my tires for years at Tire Rack, and within my parameters there (on their website, I mean), the options appear to be Dunlop, Conti, Michelin Pilot, Bridgestone Potenza, and of course the Pirellis. If I could pick up a bit more grippiness on wet, I'd be even happier, and would trade down to a V-rating for that, if necessary. Not counting their "closeout" sales on a couple of different Continentals, the price spread is only about $50 per tire, so in the overall scheme of things that's not an important factor for us. Volvo Racing's new theme is our goal: Safety Fast!
    Thanks in advance for any insights and experiences you can share.
    Tom in Albany, NY
    (I'll post this in both the "Volvo S60" and the "Tires" discussions.)
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    I think so far Dunlop SP9000 is still the best wettest grip among all the summer performance tire. with 280 thread rating. I replaced the stock tire with SP9000 and can drive very steady in the heavy rain. Also the ride is not so harsh as other summer performance tires. Right now they are on sale in Tirerack.
  • I had some Goodyear's put on by Walmart several years ago. The install was quick, the extra road hazard was reasonable. But when I went back to have the free rotation done they were always busy and had a few hour waiting time. I purchased a road hazard warranty from a Goodyear store on some Aquatreads, blew one out in a snowstorm. The damaged tire had about 15k on it, wife brought it to the Goodyear's store, they charged me $65.00 for the replacement which included charges for mounting, balancing, and another new valve stem. The valve stem BS ticked me off. I find it better to go to a local tire only store, they get any tire you want and send you to a local shop to have them installed. They charge about $10.00 more than the tire rack on the average but include the install and with a cash payment no tax.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Lost 15 lbs. of air since Friday nite and the car pulled to the right. Found a screw in the outer 1/3 near the side wall and not really sure if it can be patched. I do have a road hazard policy on the tire and if they have to replace it, I'll still have to pay something. All the tires have about 20k miles on them and am not quite sure what happens when you only put 1 new tire on with the same tread (hopefully). Will the car ride the same with a brand new 1 and the 3 older tires? And if they can't get a matching tire, what happens then, as there would be 2 different treads on the same axle.

The Sandman :confuse:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,740
    Make sure they put a patch on the inside to prevent air leaking past the plug.

If it's where I picture, I have had repairs done for nails there.

This message has been approved.

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    If it's in the tread, chances are they can patch it, and you can still use it. If not, then I'd recommend getting TWO new tires, whether or not it's covered by road hazard. I wouldn't recommend putting two different types of tread, or riding with 1 new and 3 older tires.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 837
    It depends on the tread depth or remaining life. I have some Michelin X LTs from Walmart. They have about 55K miles and still have quite a bit of depth before hitting the wear bars. Say, maybe 70-80 K before they are worn out. I would probably say you are okay with 1 new one and the 3 older ones if there in not too much wear. On the other hand, if they are over halfway down to the wear bars, I would consider replacing both on that axle. This can be checked with a depth guage. Find out the original tread depth when new and then the remaining. This is usually how they check to see how much to pro-rate on a replacment if necessary under a warranty or road hazard. Any tire shop will have one of these.

IF you have an AWD vehicle or even a 4 wheel drive of some types ( Isuzu TOD for example), it is not a good idea to have tires with different diameters since the sensors can be confused by the different rotational speeds.. I don't think you have this issue since you did not say you had a AWD.

Also, if they shop sayes they can't get the same tire, I would push for them to replace at least the 2 on the same axle. After all, they did sell you the insurance against just this happening. At worst I would consider paying for the % of the other tire used but not feel that I should have to pay any of the additional mounting, etc. since they cannot completely fulfill their obligations. I could have an issue with Wal-Mart on my Michelins... I don't see that they sell these Select LT radial X series any more...so, if I did need one replaced it would be interesting to see if they could dig one up or try to 'convert' me to something else like the Michelin Cross Terrain that I think they are selling now.
  • Hi
    I own a 2005 Chevy Express 3500. I'm interested in changing out the steel 16 x 6.5 rims with chrome centers for the 16 inch Polished aluminum rims that are available on the 2500HD LT model pickups. Can I make the swap?
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Posts: 365
    Would your advice also go for Sams Club? Also, what about ordering tires that are not offered on the shelf? IE GY Tripletreds through Wal mart or Sams?
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Thanks a lot for the insider's view! Douglas is owned by one of the larger tire makers - Goodyear I believe...
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,049
    You need a scorecard to keep track of tires. Douglas is a house brand of Kelly-Springfield.

Kelly-Springfield is a division of -- yep, you're right on the money -- Goodyear Tire and Rubber.

I quit searching around after a minute so I don't know if the brands still line up that way. :shades:

Steve, Host
    Connor has always been a great supporter over at his own message board at Edmunds. My wife got a new car - a PT Cruiser - the base model with steel wheels and wheelcovers - but as luck would have it, Tire Rack now offers some very inexpensive, and very light, aluminum wheels as replacements. For much less than it would have cost at the dealer, we are going to have upgraded wheels and slightly better (Bridgestone 950) tires.

I went against the contemporary movement to larger wheels. Since we were replacing wheels anyway, I could have upgraded to 16" wheels and gotten a lot wider tread, too; but when I compared weights, I finally realized that up-sizing has a real weight penalty. As a former bicycle rider, I've never forgotten the rule of thumb that weight at the wheel rim affects acceleration much more than weight on the frame - that old centrifugal force issue. So we stuck with 15" wheels. That will give us the best protection on badly surfaced roads, too.

Thanks Connor!
    The real question is, how much technology sharing goes on, and does Goodyear keep a tight rein on Douglas quality control? In the "very old" days companies would run separate plants with the prior work force, including designers - the conglomerate approach. In the "recent old" days, companies would only keep the brand, and consolidate design and manufacturing in their own plants (so that Douglas and Goodyear and Kelly Springfield might all march off the same manufacturing line). These days, who knows? A totally separate division, or a brand?

BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin; Continental bought Barum (?) tires in the country formerly known as East Germany. I suspect those brands are more the conglomerate approach.

Who manufactures Dayton? Bridgeston? They even include some Bridgestone branded technology (Uni Q?) in their promotional materials?
    Anybody have experience with Kumho A/S 795 Tires?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,049
    Yep, Dayton is now a Bridgestone brand. Interesting comments about the conglomerate approach. I suppose it's also possible that Goodyear could contract with, say, UniRoyal to make some tires.

You can look up the factory where your tires were made with the DOT code on the tires.

Steve, Host
  • golicgolic Posts: 714
    I have found that everyone was willing to "match" prices on tires. When I was shopping tires I picked a few and looked up prices on the TireRack. If I went to a shop, and said Tire Rack has them cheaper they offered to match.

And to my absolute surprise, I was at my Honda Service Center for something unrelated and while waitng was talking to a service center guy. After he tried to sell my the symmetry's I said I was looking at GYs or Yokohama's and he told me he could special order any tire and would match the Tire Rack in price.

Costco, has a different approach. And this could be why the WalMart guy was always able to beat Costco.

It is ONE single price that includes everything, vavle stems, balancing, and all that other typical add-on stuff. Plus they will give you "free rotations" and service oriented things.

I am not one who will go out of my way to get the tires rotated. My tires get rotated because i am there for an oil change or other service issue. So those special perks really never do anything for me.
  • tireguytireguy Posts: 193
    Normally I wouldn't recommend downgrading the speed rating. But I think in this case the manufacturer put those tires on for appearance, not for high-performance. Sixty-series tires are most commonly designed for medium performance vehicles, and given an H rating. I think you would be happy with a T rated tire on a Mazda MPV. If you're an overly aggressive driver, just know that it might handle a little less crisp as you dive into that exit ramp at twice the posted speed. If you're a normal, conservative driver, sit back and enjoy the extended tire life.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 837
    Hum... Wal-Mart and Sam's both have the one price mount/balance/lifetime rotation/road hazard package for about $10 a tire. My experience at Walmart has been that if you go in on the weekend or other busy time for oil change AND tire service, it takes 3 times as long since you have to get in line for both. I used to get up early and be there 30 minutes before the auto service opened to be first in line. Now I pay a few buck more to get one of the oil change chains to change my oil, usually on the way home from work when I catch them with a coupon and not busy. I still take my tires to Walmart for the lifetime rotation and BALANCE. Now I try to get by there during the week on the way to work and not kill 2-3 hours early Saturday or Sunday at Walmart to get that done.