Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Electrical System Problems

Comments

• snipeinc86snipeinc86 Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Hi I'm having the same problem on my Tl '05. I'm wondering if I need exactly the part number with same year car??? Thank you ****** I'm talking about HFL part (module)
  • omarmdomarmd Posts: 2
    Also Acura TL 2005 and same problem. Started by the HFL going into booting and nonworking mode. Then the first "Original Battery" died and after a few jump starts we went to sears and replaced it. Surprise the HFL started working again but we didn't use it as the quality if the conversation on it has always been poor. 6 months later the Sears battery died! went back to sears and the battery was BAD so it was changed under their warranty. Then a couple of months later that battery also died! went to the Dealership this time and oops the Cables to the battery are bad $200 replacement. A week later the Battery is dead again and back to the dealership and now the battery is BAD and can't handle the new cables!!!! another $100 for a new battery (number 4 in total). We asked about the HFL they claim it's not the source of the problem (I am convinced it is). We asked them to keep it for a couple of days and then test it again before they give it back to us. I will buy one of those battery meters that you can use in the ashtray plug to monitor the battery while it's parked.
    ACURA should own up to this error and stop costing people hundreds of dollars and just replace there HFL (We already paid $400 in total which is what the HFL replacements costs)! In addition to the time wasted jump starting the Car!!!!
    If the battery dies again I will just follow the manual and remove the HFL! this is disgusting
  • whoodywhoody Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    I am now on my 4th battery in one year. 3 months ago I took it in and they spent several days examining the electrical system which they thought was draining the battery. $300 later they thought they solved the problem. Today it would not start again---put in 4th new battery. I drive car at least 6 out of 7 days----they think I don't drive enough miles to keep it charged and want to put on a battery tickler if it happens again. The problem usually surfaces after I have not driven it for 24 hrs. Also, my bluetooth stopped working about a year ago. They think maybe the bluetooth is causing the problem and say cannot disconnect it as it is part of a bigger system???
  • I just picked up a 06 tl for my wife and it has the same problem with the battery dying. I put in a new battery and it died within a few days of not being driven. I am a auto tech by trade and after noting that the conections ,grounds and charging system are all working properly I googled the symptems and found many forums discussing the hfl problem. checked the overhead with car off and sure enough it was warm. my hfl is still working properly just apparently not shutting off. I think rather then spend $400 on a new hfl unit I will try something different. I am going to source the hot wire in the plug going to the hfl and divert it through a on off toggle switch. I will get back to you guys as to if this works without disturbing any other functions , if so I will just tell my wife to always throw the switch when she is going to be out of the car for a extended period.
  • mythatchermythatcher Posts: 1
    Hey tim635csi,

How did it go? sounds like it should be a good option.
  • gmejia3064gmejia3064 Posts: 1
    Hey, I was wondering how Acura helped you at the 800-382-2238 number? I am having the same battery draining problem and I've had my car for less than 4 years!
  • omarmdomarmd Posts: 2
    Thank you for your post and your link. I disengaged the HFL and the car had no more problems starting at all. Even if unused for 2weeks! The dealership should have done this for us or at least not charged us $300 between battery and cable changes. Thanks again.
  • I have the same situation. What was the outcome?
  • Ever figure out what this issue was on the overheating, idling up? This began happening to my 2003 TL (currently has about 145,000 mi on it) about a year ago. The dealer can't figure it out as it has yet to "malfunction" when he has it.
  • i had a 2008 tl type s... after many batteies, and 2 months in the shop.. m,uch accura diagnostics... they couldn't find anything

i heard a motor running after the engine was shut off... i told the service people... a relay in the aC WASN'T SHUTTING OFF... the running motor drained the battery... many batteries...

after they changed the relay.. all was good.

for battery issues... listen for motors not shutting off... ask them to check the ac relays...

good luck

w
  • my drivers side turn signal will not blink,replaced bulb socket and wire connector,still no go,any ideas,,, Thanks Jeff
    PS it is the front one
  • Good evening!

I have a friend... who happens to be a woman... who made the mistake of purchasing a 2007 Acura TL that she can't afford to maintain AND make car payments on. Unfortunately she is experiencing the dreaded HFL battery drain. She's mentioned that the bluetooth "Hands Free Link" is currently active and that's what seems to cause the problem.

I've seen reference to a number of similar issues and was most interested to hear from "tim635csi" about the specific details of how the HFL was disconnected from the circuitry.

While I don't have a lot of experience with what I refer to as "electronic cars" (like the TL)... I do have lots of experience with more traditional electrical systems and have restored a few cars in my day.

I'm not afraid to jump in and give it a try... either disconnecting it or replacing it but I'd like to learn of the details and/or read links to details about disconnecting the HFL. Your input would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

JT (aka jt_the_brat)
  • After a bit more time with google and my laptop... I found this post elsewhere on one of the forums. I'm going to give it a try and will let you know of my results. Happy Holidays everyone!

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f58/hfl-disconnect-battery-drain-98206/
  • hpokohpoko Posts: 1
    With all the problems with HFL and dead batteries in TLs----mine died 3 times, 3 batteries in 5 years----I was wondering if I did not hook up my phone to my new hfl, will the hfl still draw on my car's battery?
  • kurtc1kurtc1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 TL and the battery went totally dead 3 times within the first 2,5 years. The third time I had a new battery installed (at my expense) and within 6 months, the car wouldn't start. It has very low mileage (17M) and I'm told that I need to drive it more. I did note in the recent issue of Consumer Reports on used cars that the 08 TL is rated poorly on "electrical"....but not the same models for 04 - 07 which are pretty much the same car. The electrical system was tested by the dealership and the second battery installer and passed their tests. Every time I go for service at the Acura dealer, they tell me my battery did not pass their tests and should be replaced. I have added a "battery tender" so I'll see how that works out.
  • Is your bluetooth working?....if its not or your not using it unplug it from the power, this may be your problem I know it was in my 05 Acura TL..Good Luck
  • Hi, I have the same problem then you. Do you found the problem?
    If yes, what kind of problem is it!!

Thank you
    Jeff
  • I noticed nobody replied to this but I wanted to see if u had any luck fixing it. I am a 2008 with nav and everything. I am having the same problems and then some, my vsa and abs lights are stuck on too. The rear window goes down whenever the driver door is closed so I pulled the fuse, the alarm goes off in the middle of the night randomly so I pulled the horn fuse, the abs and vsa lights stay on all the time and my blinker freaks out and doesn't blink. I'm convinced when uhaul installed the light cable for my hitch they shorted out the electrical system somehow. Please tell me you figured it out and it was cheap.
  • '05 TL: When the key is inserted into the ignition, the overhead light comes on. When the car is started, the dash warning of an open door (right/rear) lights up. When the driver's seatbelt is buckled, these both go off. Now, the battery is drained everytime the car is left over night or all day without being started. Any ideas? I've heard that these are common recurring problems. Does Acura cover the cost of whatever repair is necessary?