Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3 hesitation on acceleration

Comments

• kesnowkesnow Posts: 20
    I don't know if there's one newer than the V30. I've given up on BMW, so I haven't been back to see if there's one that is improved.
  • BaitBait Posts: 12
    We've done all the updates. Here's the problem. BMW knows my lease is about up. This has been going on for over a year. They want the the problem, i.e. me, just to go away so they're doing what car companies do best....jerking me around. Unfortunately (or fortunately) my lease is about up. I've been driving this car with "problems" for two thirds of the lease. I never wanted more from them but what I already have. All I wanted was another vehicle rolled into the same lease terms...no more, no less. Unfortunately, there's something in the DNA of car companies that doesn't allow them to act like reasonable human beings when it comes to dealing with their customers once you get beyond the nice smiles you see on the show room floor. I thought it would be different buying a Premium car. I've found out they're all the same. I could have bought a Yugo and received this (or better) treatment. All they car about is me paying on time and the check not bouncing.
    Has anyone looking into the lawsuit option with the intent of trying to make it Class Action at some point?

I'm also looking at the option of putting a sign on the side of my car and driving the streets in front of the dealership. I know the dealers are independent, but I really don't care anymore.
    RE: My 2007 X3 Transmission problems.

I'll keep this short. Mine has almost gotten me in numerous accidents. Dealers have told me there's a problem with mine and other X3s (hell, we all know there's a problem). BMWNA says ***the vehicle is operating as designed***. I've done this there way for over a year only to be told (again) ***the vehicle is operating as designed***. I finally wised up last week and hired a lawyer. If you're having these problems get yourself legal help now!
  • To the poster that got a lawyer. Good thinking. It is the only way this will be resolved. And there is a HUGE amount of precedence by BMWNA swapping out these vehicles for manual transmissions at owners request or buying them back. To the person(s) that have waited all this time and then whine that nothing has been done the onus is on you. I got a lemon lawyer and this was resolved a long time ago. Document everything e mails, phone calls, updates, everything. Good Luck to those who got smart and got rid of their 07 AT.
  • Hi, joining late, but I have a problem with the front differencial on my '06 X3, automatic. I.e. It needs to be replaced. The car only has 12K miles on it. Is this the same type of issue as a "transmission" issue??
  • Hi, I know u wrote this awhile ago but I just bought a used 04 X3 2.5 8 months ago. I noticed the hesitation but rarely. Your post caught my attention because I wonder if it is a combination of ur post and the post from cincyart. Since u work for BMW is there any truth to his post that BMW programmed the trani's to start off in 2nd gear in drive mode and the hesitation is due to a soft depress of the gas pedal. If so I have noticed my hesitation comming out of my street on a slight uphill grade only about 3 times and when leaving two gastations, one of which it has happened twice. So this brings me to ur theroy that it is ethanol and/or low grade fuel. I have alos put low grade fuel in just to see the diff and did feel a lower performance at start. So those two gas stations that I had the hesitation from right out of the parking lot tells me the x3 is very picky about ethanol and low grade fuel. I guess we can deduct that thi would certainly potentiate the already obvious hesitation issue. I was worried it was a fuel system issue like fuel filter, clogged injector or something else. As long as it isn't something that is going to eventually break all togeather or cause damage to something else I'm ok with it, as I mostly drive in Sport Drive anyway. Thank you all for info.
  • Hi, has anyone else had a prob with their electric window, my L rear made a loud pop when rolling it up. It will roll down but not up and will stop about an inch from top. I have to manually push it the rest of way. I am not under warranty anymore and usually do own work if not too much. Any ideas?
  • kesnowkesnow Posts: 20
    I have some info for you....the 04 X3 DOES NOT have the same transmission as the 07-08. It is a 5speed. We have 6speeds. Mine starts in 1st gear unless I push the gear lever to w/s. Never burn cheap, low octane gas. You are confusing the ECU if you switch back and forth and this may cause your hesitation. Trust me, we aren't talking about hesitation, we are talking about NOTHING happening when you press the accelerator, mostly at the most inopportune time......like when your life is on the line.....hope this helps
  • We bought 2007 328i; very similar power train as the X3, it now at 12K miles, it has been to the BMW shop 3X almost three weeks total days in the shop... problem - stalling and hesitation... they have not figure it our yet... BMW is the ultimate piece of junk driving machineI 'll never buy one.. EVER, I will not even take it even BMW will give it to me free... Stalling almost create a big accident on while making a turn on multi lane road.. it is so scary.. I bought a cheap Japanese car about the same time, put 66K miles in less than 2 years. NEVER BEEN TO THE SHOP...STILL RUNNING LIKE NEW..
    I urge you don't buy the BMW, your buying yourself a head ache., big time... I need a SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFE CAR and DEPENDABLE... CAR.. BUT people buy BMW because they need a bigger halo...

Our BMW still in the dealer, called us, coordinator said,, we can't duplicate the problem.. the've been saying that for a whole week...

I buy a Chinese bike before buying another BMW...............
  • I so agree with you! This is my second X3, BMW bought back the first one - 2004 model.... mine was in shop almost a month, I don't have that problem now but the gas mileage is worse now... never again... expensive headache ....
  • Thank you, I will make sure i keep high octane in it now, I also think the ethanol hurts it too. There are some stations that don't use ethanol that I use when I can.
    I haven't had it happen for months now, so not worried. When you mentioned that the 07 has a six speed trany and starts out in first now makes me wonder if thats what they did to eliminate the hesitation in drive mode from starting in 2nd gear? but you still have a problem. If I remember rite someone has a post explaining that when your foot comes off the accelerator the x models are supposed to shunt fuel to save gas, I wouldn't doubt since the vehicle seems to run on more software than it should that the system could could be shunting more fuel in your vehicle, not an expert but something to look into.
  • On my 98 M3, there are 2 plastic clips that ride in tracks at the bottom of the scissor-like mechanism that drives the window up and down. Not too hard to change, but you have to deal with the door panel and air bag if it has one. Disconnect the battery, store bag up, etc. READ THE REPAIR MANUAL FOR AIRBAG PROCEDURES!!!!
    My problem was traced to extra force because of shoddily-glued felt strips in the guide channels on either side of the window (inside the door). Some contact cement and some bad words and that was straightened out.... Have fun! (the pop sounds like the plastic clip breaking or the metal arm popping out of it.)
  • This transmission issue is a very interesting problem. It seems to be that the transmission screws up in the learning (your driving style) process. Some people don’t seem to have the issue, others do. The curious thing is that after they re-load software, the car is OK for a while. Then its learning seems to get confused and this is where the trouble shows up. After reading it, I would be very careful buying one until I knew they had it fixed. Of course you could drive in manual/auto mode and not have the problem. It smacks of a nasty (buried in the code somewhere with a pretty dangerous, as the posts describe, stalling for a few seconds in front of oncoming traffic), failure mode) software bug. What BMW needs to do is upload the ‘learning’ from a bunch of complaint vehicles and use that information to track the problem down. This exercise will learn (punny) the ISO-compliant software developer losers, who trade common sense for regulatory compliance, some lessons in software development. This will mean sending said developers to the field with the tools to suck this information out of the cars (or training the update computers to do it), take it back to the lab, compare it with the virgin 'learn', apply the very well documented driver input that causes the problem, and fix the damn thing. Of course, they might have built the code on a MS Windows operating system which stalls when someone puts a CD in while they're trying to accelerate. Maybe its the communication bus hanging up? Who knows?
  • :lemon: Uncle Fester... as a software developer I recommended they "black box" my car and they declined. It only seemed logical that they could take the event logs from my car and cross reference them to a vehicle they thought operated correctly.That would mean they would have to admit there was a problem and thereby open themselves to a class action law suit. Easier for them to stall or buy people off. What they don't realize is by practicing this technique they lose 5 potential buyers for every PO'd owner who will bad mouth them like me until they formally fix and acknowledge the issue. :lemon:
  • billmvbillmv Posts: 145
    daddyman.....I have the same issue. Are you in California, by any chance? If so, I'd like to get the contact info for your attorney. Name and firm would do. No sense reinventing the wheel. I'd rather have a guy who's been down the BMW trail with the 07 X3 tranny issue before.

Even if you're not in CA, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks.
  • I am thinking about a new '09 X3 but after extensive research I'm concerned the auto tramission hesitation problem has not been adequately addressed. My salesperson assures me the problem described in the '07 and '08 Steptronic transmission has been corrected and the new '09 transmissions are problem free. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks for the help.
  • Rule #1 Never trust a salesperson
    Rule #2 See rule #1

I'm tempted to add a #3 don't trust BMW because they really distinguished themselves by never acknowledging the issue or ever fully fixing it for affected drivers.

My best advice for you is to thoroughly test drive it. Politely ask the salesperson to remain silent if it's distracting and be sure you get more than a once-around-the-block chance to see how it handles. You would principally notice it has a hesitation in acceleration when starting from a dead stop or a very rough 'herky jerky' sensation when accelerating from low speeds. Mine also is noticable when slowing down to lower speeds then suddenly accelerating, as if you were preparing to stop for a red light then it turned green before you made it to the intersection.

Best of luck, it's still a great car but you don't want to be surprised.
  • MLB6MLB6 Posts: 12
    I heard from another forum that the '09s are not immune. A thorough test drive won't help either. That's because the flaw could be with the transmission adaptation. So the problems would surface 2 weeks later. Buy a manual transmission or look elsewhere, like GLK or Q5. But, who can afford the X3 nowadays? with low resale value, and high monthly payment...
    What I have learned from my experience is the following. (and by the way, the other poster is right. You may not experience the AT problem until after you have it...not necessarily during a test drive. I didn't)

Now, back to my point. If your X3 has this problem you will not only be risking an accident, you'll be mad as hell that you're paying for something that's not the way it should be. As mad as you'll be over that it's nothing compared to what you'll feel after being tossed overboard by BMWNA once they tell you the vehicle is operating as designed when they know full well it's got a problem. All the forums on the web, the NHTSA site as well as local dealers who will admit there's a problem can be found with little effort.

I've never seen a company put so much effort into driving people away from a brand. My opinion is to either have an attorney on retainer or go with someone else.