Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica GT - Troubleshooting

ecoichecoich Posts: 1
Not sure if anyone out there can help me out with this or not, but I'm trying to understand what's happened to my 2001 Celica GT the last couple of days.

Here's the rundown,
I noticed the car needed an oil change, so yesterday, against my better judgement, I went to one of those franchise oil-change places.

So last night, about 8-10 hours after I'd had my oil changed, by oil light goes on! It's intermittent at first, but within minutes it's on permanently. Shorly after this, the engine cuts out entirely, my battery and check engine lights go on, my RPM's drop to zero and I lose my power steering. I pull over turn the ignition off, give it a sec and start it up again, it turns over as it normally would and runs pretty much as usual, but still with the oil light on, I begin to drive, and in another minute the exact same thing, no jerking, no jumping, just the engine cuts out. The only consistency I notice is that it seems to occur when I'm changing gears, at the point where my clutch is all the way down.

After a while of repeating this cycle, I finally get it home, pop the hood and check the oil, it seems to be fine. There's a slight smell of burning but nothing overwhelming, and definitely no smoke coming off the engine.

I know I'll end up taking it to the service center where they'll tell me what's wrong, but I'd like to get at least some idea as to what it could be. I prefer to be somewhat informed.

Anyone out there know enough about these cars to throw any hypotheses out?

Thanks.

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Maybe it went into limp-home mode? That would happen if the computer detected a major emissions meltdown - maybe the bozos left the old oil filter gasket on there and the leaking oil ran back along the engine screwing up sensor readouts for the computer?

Either way, don't EVER restart your engine (or continue driving in the first place) with the oil light on! That is just begging for a major repair bill.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• lesteralestera Posts: 1
    Well i bought this old used car and i really love it, but my problem is that when i place it in 5th gear it pops out. It only does it in 5th not 1st or 3rd. there is pressure that pushes the gear out not slippage. What my problem? can anyone help me. To give you more insight my cousin who is a mechanic thought it might be a spring loose. it was not. I am not really mecahnicaly inclined. i just know that after five months of holding it in gear on the highway it getting old
  • hey i have this lilttle problem, ive been fixing it from ground up but the car seems to shake when turned on, im not sure what it is...so any suggestions please let me know thanx
  • 1. Timing problem
    2. Runs on 3 cylinders
    3. Spark plug wire is shorting out
    4. Engine mounts are lose ...........
  • I have a 2001 Toyota Celica. Since September there has been a clunking sound when driving in low gear and also whilst changing gear. I took it to my Toyota dealer and a mechanic who has driven the car heard the noise himself but says he cannot find anything wrong. Basically I have been told that there is nothing about to fall off, nothing loose so they can't do anything about it. Has anyone else had a similar problem???
  • I have a 95 Celica GT and your problem sounds exactly like what was happening to mine. Believe it or not, the sound was from a loose rear brake caliper. I had it in the shop for front end work and mentioned it to my mechanic and he solved the problem. It might be the same for you.
  • I have a 95 Celica GT and the oil light came on this morning. I checked the oil and to my surprise there was no oil on the dip stick. I added 4.5QTS of oil. Now I have the usual couple of small oil spots in my driveway but by no means enough to account for 4 QTS. The car doesn't burn oil either. Has anyone heard of this with Celicas? I'm wondering if something isn't wrong inside the engine. I drove to work with no problems.
  • i guess i'm the only one here that has NO problem with their car, i bought it certified used and for the past 7 years it has given me no problems .
  • it is a jan. 2000 celica, i guess it was one of the first cars out before they started to figure out that was too good so on later cars they started to put sub standard parts on them i guess. 'cause i hear alot of horror storys about these cars.
  • I'm not finding fault with my car. I love it. I bought it used, it wasn't certified and that made me a little uneasy but all in all it's a good car. I think the previous owner sold it so that they didn't have to put the money into the front end. :sick: They kind of let it go and I had to have wheel bearings replaced all four, a new axle.
  • A classic dumb move, courtesy of a good friend who I'm trying to help: He hooked the battery up backwards, and was actually able to get the car to run (he claims). Now, with the battery hooked up correctly, the cluster, daytime running lights, radio, turn signals, and some other things do not work. The car will start and run, but it will not shift out of park because of the interlock. The headlights will work if turned on with the control stalk.
    I've checked all the fuses, and they are good.
    Are there any circuit breakers or fusible links in the vehicle, somewhere other than in the fuse centers under hood and under dash?
  • 1st diag the dealership told me it was my MAF SENSOR, so I put some fuel injector cleaner in the fuel line...light goes off. Then it's back on after about 300 miles take it back in to the dealership to get the fuel injectors replaced then they tells me diag code P0420 my Catalytic Converter. What is the actual problem?

Now the engine light will not go off and when I first start the car up in the morning it spits out a cloud of smoke and there is some black ash type material (just a little bit) that comes out of the tail pipes also...but only when I first start it up. I can drive it all day no problem but the light doesn't go off which makes me think it's not the fuel injectors....any advise...I need help trouble shooting this issue. :sick:
  • mctcmctc Posts: 4
    I just rebuilt my engine and all my electrical are hooked up correctly and my vacuum lines are all in place according to the diag. When my engine is running it has a high pitch squeal and I cannot figure out what it is. It sounds like it is coming from under the intake manifold it is EFI. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • Hi Celica girl,

You did not say what model and what year. All models that use premium gas should run on premium gas only. If not, a lot of the sensors and the catalytic converter will malfunction.

Buy an engine scanner in eBay for about $30. Switch off the check engine light.

Rescan your engine. If a sensor failure keeps coming back, replace that sensor.

If the catalytic converter fault keeps coming back, time to replace the converter.

Toyota's engines are very simple and logical. Use your head and dont be scared. You will find the problems with some thinking. The dealers' mechanics use the same scanner and may not be as smart as you.
  • jmb8jmb8 Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Toyota Celica GT.

Its has a ruff idle when in park, when it first gets going it has a rough start off. But seems to run fine once on the road.

I did have an engine light come on, but the code tells me its a normal code.

I did add some fuel cleaner and a fuel injector cleaner to see if its helps but nothing has helped.

Any advice.
  • I'm sure I'll get several resounding answers on this issue, but here's my problem: I have a 2000 Celica GT with 104,000 miles on it. It's never had any problems and has always had regular maintenance. Within the past year, it started consuming oil at an incredible rate. I'm dumping at least 2 quarts a month into it. There's no noticeable change in the exhaust, though, nor any other problems/symptoms of any kind. I mentioned this to my regular mechanic, and he said, "Eh, the car's 8 years old, it has 100k miles on it, it's just using more oil. Cars use more oil as they age."

That was a year ago. Yesterday I mentioned it to a good friend of mine who immediately said to trade the car in as quickly as possible, before the engine goes. He had the same 1.8L in his MR2, and by 50k miles the car was burning through oil like nothing and eventually had a bad engine mount. Luckily, his car was under warranty. Mine is not. He said Toyota knows about the problem and corrected it in 2002, but ignores prior issues.

I've tried to do :confuse: research online and this oil consumption issue is apparently well known on the 2000-01 GTs? One website even said there was a recall for this problem in the UK?

So I just need some advice on how serious this is, how likely my car is develop it (or is already developing it), and what to do with the car. I don't want to sell the car - I bought a Toyota planning to have it for 200k+ miles. But if I'm facing an inevitable major engine problem that'll drop it's value from $5000 to $200, I'd rather trade it in now.

What do you all think?

Oh, side question - I'm thinking of replacing it with a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe. Any opinions on that car?

Thanks!!
  • does any one know if a manual transmission needs to be split to replace the output shaft bearing??
  • celica861celica861 Posts: 1
    i recently bought a 1986 celica gt it began to over heat i replaced radiator(which did have a crack) water pump (which was leaking ) and then thermostat it still over heats did i blow a head? and what other options do i have besides engine swap?
  • sezza217sezza217 Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,
    I own a 1990 Toyota Celica, which i love to bits!! No real big work done on it as of yet but was planning on starting to spend some money on it very soon. Only problem being I recently had a collision and people have been telling me once it is fixed I should try to get rid of it. :cry:
    The crash not being my fault (someone ran a red light and hit me) has resulted in the car having damage to the front left passenger side of the car and thats all i know as of yet. I was hit at about 80kms/hr.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what I should do with it once it is fixed and or if once it is fixed it will be the same as before the collision?

Any thoughts would be much appreacited
  • I have a 1990 Toyota Celica GT-S w/ Electric Windows & Sun Roof quit working the other day, anyone have any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot this situation?