Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica GT - Troubleshooting

Comments

• :sick: What could be causing my car not to start? :cry: Currently my starter,battery, alternator, ignition connections grounds are good so what could be the problem could it be a certain relay fuse or which one? They have been checked and also my timing belt was checked but it has been difficult trying to determine what is the problem. It seems electrical but I am so confused and I do not want to loose my celica they I have been keeping up with the maintenance promptly. Could someone possibly give me advise on how to go about resolving my celicas starting problem or maybe a part or what can fix my starting problem? :cry:
    Thank you,
    Deb :confuse:
  • My 1996 Celica did the same a couple of years ago. Would start sometime and would go totally dead on me. The dealer asked me to change the battery, which I did. Worked for a week (probably the new battery did the trick)... then stopped again. Once I got stranded in a rest area on the highway; the car wouldn't start. Well, I had to try a non-technical method... (normally not recommended). No, I did not push it. Fortunately, I was parked on a slope, so I shifted into neutral and let the car pick up some momentum, (in reverse, of course). With the ignition on, I engaged the reverse gear. The car started up. I reached home. Had a restless night, with multiple nightmares... First thing in the morning, went to Advance Auto, got a new STARTER, and replaced it myself (hour and half). The car starts like new till this day, not-withstanding its age (and miles:194,000).
  • Took my Toyota to our Mechanic, he found that the wire broke at the door hinge, door locks & Windows are working again
  • :sick: With my 1994 Celica going dead I have been having restless nights with nightmares.Not withstanding its age( and miles 145,540). And I have always taken care of preventive care of my Celica. It is very heartwrenching :cry: . After your informative response because you could relate with my situation it seems that I may the same problem that you had with your 1996 Celica. I have not wasted anytime and I spoke to a 23 yr Toyota experience Master Tech Mechanic and he told me about the headlight test to do. I made sure the connections to the battery and the engine grounds are good. I made sure the battery is fully charged. I turned the headlights on and try to start the car. The lights stayed brite except when I attempted to start the car the lights dimmed way down. That mechanic told me about the contacts in the starter are known to go bad. Also my Toyota advisor told me about the need for a new starter(mind you my current starter is over 8 years old) So I have to think positive about it. Well today Wed. 10:00am A toytota recommeded tow truck company will be taking the celica to the toyota dealer for repair. I will keep you informed of my situation.
    I greatly appreciate your helpful inforrmation which helped me sleep well last night.
    Thank you,
    D.A.
  • The car runs and starts great, however after it warms up it wont start for 15-20 minutes. After it starts again it runs great again.

Any Ideas?
  • Hello,
    Well after my 1994 starting issue problem it happened to be the ECU (computer)so I had it replaced and it starts and runs good. I was told it may have been the distrubutor. I do not know much but I had to get it diagnosed at the toyota and they replaced the ECU (computer).
    I would suggest maybe get a diagnose at Advance discount store since it starts or the dealer.

Take Care,
    Deb
  • hi
    i just purchased a 2001 toyota celica gt and a couple months ago i noticed my trunk light wasn't working so of course i changed the bulb and still nothing and just today i changed it again figuring it was a bad bulb but still nothing and i checked the fuse panels and cant find a fuse designated for the trunk all my other systems are working that i can tell. i know sometimes they tie the fuse with more than one system can you please help
    thanks
    ben :cry:
  • I have a 2002 Toyota Celica GT with 100,000 miles on it. Since last week, the check engine light has been turned ON.

I checked the GAS cap & its closed well as hinted within the manual.

I went to FIRESTONE to see what could be the issue. They were charging $100 to run the diagnosis alone.

The car has been in perfect shape with no issues so far. I would like to know what could be the possible issues & where can I go to get them solved ?
  • I AM HAVING A LOT OF THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH A 2001 CELICA I JUST GOT. ITS NOT SMOKING, AND NO LEAKS. BUT MY OIL IS GOING SOMEWHERE. I HAVE HAD THE CAR NOT EVEN A MONTH AND ALREADY I HAVE PUT 4 QTS OF OIL IN IT. THE CAR LOT I GOT IT FROM HAD JUST CHANGED THE OIL. I LOVE THIS CAR. THE GAS MILEAGE IS AWESOME BUT THE USE OF OIL IS AWFUL. THE CAR HANDLES GREAT. I DON'T GET THE OIL PROBLEM . IF YOU OR ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

CHARMON1972
  • I have had the exact same problem. Car runs great. I get 30 city and 37 highway miles... what more can one ask of a non-hybrid. But it drinks oil like Craig Ferguson in an Irish Pub. Hey, may be that is the Secret of my car. It mixes oil and burns it up in just the right ratio... keeps the engine running smooth, no smoke, no leaks, occasionally when idling, you can "smell" the burning oil. I am not letting anyone open up a good working machine to change the gaskets. Hey, I just have to add a quart every Sunday. And if I travel long distance (I drive from Baltimore to New York and back the same day, on a tankful of gas, and have some left over), I just top of the oil when I park it. Don't worry, it passes Emissions Test too. I have changed the spark plugs after 40,000 miles. Unless the engine just falls apart by itself (in 20 years or so), I would just stick to routine maintenance and keep driving. Hi-ho Silver, away!
  • I have been having the same problem with oil as CHARMON1972 and it is aggravating to keeping having to put oil in my Celica. There is no smoke and all the fluids are not taking on oil...so is it ok for her to be drinking that much oil? The problem became noticed after I did an oil change, and drove 9 hours out to where I go to college. Any ideas as to what is going on or proof that it is ok for her to drinking that much oil?
    Thanks,
    Rogue22
  • As I said before, I still have to put in a quart of oil every sunday. I have got 204,000 miles on the Celica. I drive to my two jobs every day, 100 miles a day. Once a month I drive from West of Baltimore to New York. I repeat: I get 30 miles a gallon normal, and more on the highway. What more proof anyone needs... Celica is a great car. Maybe it should be linked with the Bunny that "Goes On and On and On..." ;)
    My friends want me to get rid of it or take to to a mechainic to get the "problem" fixed... Yeah, like I went to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned, and he loosened them up so bad, I have to keep going every four to six months or al the teeth are going to come off. Man, I regret the day I set foot in a dentist's office... just so I could use the insurance money. But that is another story...
  • diazcruzdiazcruz Posts: 2
    I have seen this problem with several brands fof cars, increase oil compsuption and no smoking or leake. Check the radiator water for trails of oil and the oil cap for signs of water. white wax ( sign of contamination of oil due to water). If you find either of the signs or both then your problem most likely is the head gasket.
  • diazcruzdiazcruz Posts: 2
    In most cars you need to bleed the system in order to remove the air form the lines or it will overheat regrdless the new parts. Need to to turn the heater on while filling the radiator in order to bleed the air out. In sone cars there is a bleeding screw either on top of the radiator or close to the thermostad housing. Hope this helps
  • bionictonybionictony Posts: 2
    The oil consumption problem is on early models of the toyota 1zz-fe engines. anywhere from 98-02. The toyota corollas and geo prism has this problem also. it is a piston and piston ring problem. It's the way they were designed early on. the only way is to either replace the entire engine with one from a 2003+ corolla or replace with newer piston rings and pistons.
  • 01celica01celica Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Celica GT and it seems to be using 1 quart every 500-700 miles. On the hwy it seems to consumer more when driving over 75 MPH. In town, the car consumes less oil. It has the 1zz-fe engine. I've owned it since 75,000 miles and it now has 99,000. I have black oil specs on my bumper so I know it is coming out but it doesn't smoke or leak. At 80,000 miles I had the catalytic converter replaced under warranty. I get 31 MPG in town and 34 on the highway. I will seafoam the engine sometime this summer and see if consumption changes. I've used high mileage oil and that may last slightly longer but not much if any. I figure I need fewer oil changes since I replenish so much oil. I figure I will just keep keep adding oil. My guess is I will need to replace another catalytic converter after 75,000 more miles and the O2 sensors. The cost of that service at the dealer was $350. When gas prices go up, I have no problem trading the good mileage for a little extra oil use. Thanks for yet another confirmation that others have this problem.
  • jkonjkon Posts: 3
    I am looking for a 2003 Celica GTS service manual. Can anyone help please?

Thanks.
  • hello, i had a family member drive my 86 celica from california to montana it made it half way and the top of the radiator blew up. it had no problem water was full no warning at all. i check every thing water pump thermostat cant seem to find any thing wrong. if anyone has any ideas please let me know thanks
  • lugenlugen Posts: 2
    It started in the last few weeks where I press hard on the bake and it feels like something gives. The car stops, but it is weird, I am thinking the ABS is acting up, but no lights etc. If I shut the car off and coast and stop it feels fine.

Any ideas out there?

TIA
  • worthy1worthy1 Posts: 1
    1992 Cleica GT. Just replaced Alternator. Just porior to replacing noticed low beam worked OK but high beam and fog lamps while on low beam stopped working. Figured replacing alternator which was bad would also fix. Well it didn't. Checked No.2 fuze block and headligh relay. Seem OK. Any ideas?

Worthy1