Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• drive95tdrive95t Posts: 2
    I just had my '95 Tacoma inspected at the Toyota Dealer and they didn't find any problems. They think the rust problems are more prevalent in the upper east states
    where there is more salt used on the streets. I have 2 more years left on the "rust warranty" so I will have my truck looked at again before that expires.
  • drive95tdrive95t Posts: 2
    Yeah, get another opinion, or call Toyota at 1-888-270-9371 (customer service)
    and tell them how it looks and see what they say.
  • My husband just heard of the "recall" yesterday. We had to have a spot on our frame patched because of a hole last June, else we wouldn't have passed inspection. We're taking her (the truck) in for a Toyota "official" inspection over the weekend. It's sad to think I'm not going to have this vehicle when she rolls over 300,000 ... right now we're at 249,244 - and she runs like a top!

:shades:
    >^,,^<
  • My Taco's frame ( 96' extended cab 4x4 ) was in very bad shape, the rest of the truck looks like new! I brought it in for inspection and they deemed it unsafe. They kept the truck and gave me a rental, a small suv (they couldn't give me a truck). After not hearing anything for a week, I contacted toyota which got the ball rolling on my case.It has been two weeks now and I haven't heard how much or when I'll be getting a check. Although I am greatfull Toyota is stepping up, I'm am not happy about very poor quality of the frame on this truck and how long it is taking for the buy back from Toyota. If you bring one in for inspection and it fails, be prepared to be without a truck for a while!
  • Does anyone have a copy of the letter they would share. I'm being told although the frame is bad they won't cover the truck because I have a reconstructed title. The only problem with this truck is the deterioration of the frame. I would really like to see what the letter says. Please help.
  • race1949race1949 Posts: 1
    if you rec a copy of the letter can you forward it to me. i have a 1997 witht he same issue. rear springs are ready to come off the frame and a hole threw the frame.
  • I am supposed to get a letter in the mail in a bout a week. I'll, try to get you a copy when I do
  • I have a copy of the letter. I just received it today. I was shocked but not surprised. I had my frame welded last year as it would not pass inspection. Every year I tried to scrape the rust and make it look half way decent. This year there are a few more "spots" i could put a screw driver through. I always thought there was way more rust and breakdown then there should have been. Huge flakes etc. Even when you tap the frame in a few places it doesn't sound right. Almost a "thin" sound. I will take my 96 to the dealer Monday. The truck has 156,00 miles on her. Other than the frame it runs like its new and looks great. I am really disappointed that I might lose her. It has been a great truck! I will keep you posted.
  • tjv1tjv1 Posts: 3
    Mine is the same way. Is there any way you could send a copy of the LETTER to my email address @ sweeethemi@aol.com I am the 3rd owner of mine and have not recieved mine yet. Thanks TJV from Maine
  • http://www.showstop.org/images/truck/rust_warranty/warranty-policy.pdf

Click on the link above or paste into your browser

Also google...tacoma frame rust. Something along that line will work. There is becoming alot of information out there now.

I will scan the letter and send it along to you.
  • The link was very helpful.
    Thanks for your help. I will read warranty policy tonight. My Tac has huge holes on the inner underside if vehicle's frame.
    ALSO>>>I was wondering if one could buy another one, register it then turn it in for the Program. My neighbor's bother in law has a Tac for sale and I saw the rusty frame. He wants it out of his yard and I was going to tell him about the program but seeing he would of sold the truck to anyone, i feel its fair game! Will a newly registered Tac still qualify for the 150% buyback program? DO YOU OR ANYONE KNOW??? Thanks again, TJV from Maine.
    Thanks for your help. I will read warranty policy tonight. My Tac has huge holes on the inner underside if vehicle's frame.
    ALSO>>>I was wondering if one could buy another one, register it then turn it in for the Program. My neighbor's bother in law has a Tac for sale and I saw the rusty frame. He wants it out of his yard and I was going to tell him about the program but seeing he would of sold the truck to anyone, i feel its fair game! Will a newly registered Tac still qualify for the 150% buyback program? DO YOU OR ANYONE KNOW??? Thanks again, TJV from Maine.
  • I just drove down to my dealer this afternoon, just to look around. I was amazed at the # of trucks already sitting there. I wish I had my camera. Some of the frames were cracked or completly rusted. One truck had a notice in the window that it was now the property of Toyota Motor Corp. I think this is going to be a huge problem for them. I can't imagine how much this is going to cost toyota. So, maybe I'll get screwed for taking care of my truck (although it was welded last year in 4 spots,wouldn't pass inspection), I wash it alot in the winter. At the very least, the trucks trade in value just hit rock bottom. Who will want one now, even if the frame isn't so bad. I will be down at my dealership early tomorrow and I will keep everyone posted on here as to how it went. We should all do the same, as I am sure some people will be very unhappy :cry: and some will be very happy. :)
  • I'm heading into Portland (Maine) Toyota today for an inspection. The woman I spoke with on Monday said that of the 80 or so that she's seen come in, maybe one or two have passed inspection. She said to make sure I had cleaned out all the personal items in the truck before we brought it in. It's a '96 with 249K miles, some cosmetic rust spots on the body/bumper, but we did have to have the frame repaired last year - that's how I got to get into the dealership so quickly - I'm guessing now that the word is out, Toyota doesn't want to have any further liability if the vehicle falls apart and causes more damage. Also, we've replaced several springs before last year (maybe 2006 & 2005), so who knows what will happen and what part of the Kelly Blue Book they are looking at (suggested retail value for a Tacoma, the trade in value or the private sale value) but I'm hoping to be compensated somewhere between $4,000 and $9,000 - my husband said one of the guys that he works with told his brother about it (brother being Tacoma owner) and brother was given $12,000 for a 96 ... so either I drive WAY too much or that guy didn't drive at all and the truck was in show room condition!

Will let you know how it goes :shades:
  • Mine failed and I guess I wasn't too surprised. Really sucks. Like many here, my truck still runs great and the body isn't all that bad. Haven't herd anything from toyota yet. I am sure it will take longer as more and more trucks come in and fail. I was at the dealership when a girl brought her tacoma in and they had to let her have a loner as hers was so bad. The body of the truck was perfect. They put a letter on the window stating that the truck was now owned by Toyota Motor Corp. Took pictures and all. If I get a chance I'll take a few pics of the "pile" of tacomas building up at my dealership. I'll keep everyone here updated. :surprise:
  • Any info about this pic? This was still on the road??

Why would it break up? :confuse:
  • I NEED HELP WITH A SCENARIO:I OWN A 2000 TACOMA 4X4 SR5 EXTENDED CAB WITH 160K. I HAVE A LOAN OUT FOR 6K ON IT. I LIVE IN NH.
    I TAKE MY TRUCK TO BE INSPECTED, THEY QUALIFY IT FOR THE BUY BACK, THEY TAKE POSSESSION. I GET MY LOANER.
    WHAT HAPPENS? I CANNOT GIVE THEM THE TITLE, THE BANK HAS IT? IF I CALL THE BANK THEY WILL NOT RELEASE TITLE UNLESS THE LOAN IS PAID OFF? NOW WHAT? I JUST GOT LAYED OFF, I DO NOT HAVE 6K TO PAY OFF THE LOAN??? WHAT HAPPENS???
  • I am sure the bank would understand whats going on. They would have to get their money first, I suppose. The rest would be yours. call your bank.
  • Thats what I mean, in the scenario I would have no truck and no money. How do I know Toyota will not say, that its my problem to get the title to them, leaving me screwed, if I do not supply the Title then I cannot complete my part of the Buy Back. I do not see anyone saying they surrndered their truck, and Toyota paid off the lien holder and gave the customer the rest of the $$. I am CONFIDENT that the Bank will want the loan paid off when they find out I do not have possession PLUS I carry FULL Liability Vehicle Insuarance as well. Why pay for full coverage insurance on a truck I no longer have? see the issues? I called Toyota, they could NOT answer my quuestions, which leads me to believe, in that scenario I WOULD be screwed, and have to come up with the 6k to get the Title released so Toyota coud process my claim in the Buy back program. ** has anyone out here surendered their truck and had their lien holder paid to get the title????
  • otto8otto8 Posts: 116
    Kitty........Its simple.............toyo will send any buyback money directly
    to your finance org. to release the title to them. If you owe more than that
    YOU prob. will have to come up with the CASH difference for them to
    release the title.
    You may have a problem................

As far as your insurance .....Just cancel your policy. Your insurance
    company will refund you any unearned premium amount you may have.
  • HI, I'm not worried about me owing more than what they will give me, I Owe 6k, the buy back will be around 15k. What I am worried about is surrending the vehicle, and Toyota wants the title and I HAVE TO PAY THE LOAN OFF 6k BEFORE I CAN GIVE THE TITLE TO THEM, I a NOT working. I have not see one post of anyone saying that Toyota will pay a lien holder in order to get the title once they take possession of a vehicle.

PS I cannot just cancel my insurance, as long as I have a loan out I am required to have full covergare or it would be default on the loan.
  • Took in my 1998 Tac with 103,000 this morning and it failed the frame inspection. Dealer said that Toyota would contact me in 7 to 10 days. It's been a great truck, I hate to lose it.

Will post updates when I get them.
  • Holy Crap!!!! :surprise:

Nice Post!
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    It should be treated by your bank the same as a dealer trade-in. Toyota will satisfy the loan and pay you the difference. Same as if you trade in a vehicle that is worth more than the loan... the dealer pays off the loan to get the title and pays you the difference.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • mehuntermehunter Posts: 2
    Was just wondering if any 2002 crew cabs were recalled???? :confuse:
  • Toyota is giving me just under $10,000 for my truck (96' extended cab 4x4). It has been 3 weeks since I brought my truck in for inspection. A meeting has been set up for next week to sign over the truck to them and receive the check. Everyone I have dealt with has been very helpfull and they actually return my calls! But be prepared to be without a truck for about a month if you bring yours in for inspection.
  • otto8otto8 Posts: 116
    Heres a close up shot of one of those quality mexican made frames: