Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• mrbill1957mrbill1957 Posts: 815
    What I find interesting/puzzling about this whole buy back, is nobody has reported that Toyota hasn't chosen the other option of repairing the truck. So many people have said their truck is in great condition (except for the frame) so I wonder why they don't replace frames on the trucks with high buy-back prices? I would think the cost of a frame and installation would be alot cheaper.

I haven't seen any posts of first year Tacomas having rotted frames. I have an 95 Tacoma, I live in Wisconsin where the roads are coated with salt in the winter. I crawled under the truck and checked it from front to back, no rust thru so far. I even tapped on any area that had a little surface rust, and everything sounded solid. I was kind of hoping there was holes.

I still have the brochure for the 95's. A statement in there says:

"Tacoma's tough anti-corrosive steel frame resists rusting"

I find it strange that they may have not followed thru with that design on later models?

Mrbill
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    You really can't replace just the frame... that's the equivalent of replacing someone's skeleton, but keeping all the original skin, organs, muscles, etc. - just doesn't work that way. As these trucks are body-on-frame design instead of unibody, you would have to completely disassemble the truck, then reassemble it onto a new frame - that would take longer than just building a new truck in a factory. And repairing a rusted frame requires just as much time, since the unrepaired portions would have to be similarly treated to prevent the same problems from occurring again.

It's far less expensive for Toyota to buy the trucks back and recycle them.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• bsully32bsully32 Posts: 1
    I am in the process of getting the buy back . I have noticed several people saying how long it takes. I would guess to imagine it should take roughly 30 days. Can someone answer this for me? I hadnt received my title for my Taco yet. So i called the bank and explained to them I never received the title. They tell me that i have a late fee which occured over 5 yrs i owned my truck. They cant tell me what month out of 60 was late becuase i advised them i have all my receipts, What ever. Ok now could i just let toyota deal with it and they take out of the amount they owe me or do i have to pay it? I guess it would be like if i had a loan out on it right? let me know thanks and good luck to all with the process.
  • redneck80redneck80 Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 1998 TACOMA WITH 140,000 MILES ON IT AND WENT THRU AN INSPECTION AT A LOCAL DEALERSHIP A FEW WEEKS AGO. THEY HIT ON THE FRAME FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS AND SAID IT WAS FINE. SO I BROUGHT IT BACK HOME AND I WENT OVER THE FRAME AND FOUND A HOLE UNDER THE DRIVER SIDE DOOR ON THE INNER SIDE OF THE FRAME. PLUS ONE WAS ABOVE THE SHACKLES. TOYOTA TOLD ME TO TAKE IT TO A SECOND DEALERSHIP FOR A SECOND OPINION. MY QUESTION IS DOES THE RUST HOLE HAVE TO BE THRU BOTH SIDES OF THE FRAME,CAUSE MINE IS THRU ONE SIDE AND IS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A 50 CENT PIECE. DO YOU THINK IT WILL PASS OR FAIL? REST OF THE TRUCK IS IN EXCELLENT SHAPE. THANKS
  • hpaircrafthpaircraft Posts: 1
    I think that Tacoma frames are made at Dana's Parish Structural Products plant in Stoctkon, CA. They are trucked 63 miles in 15-frame truckloads to the NUMMI plant in Fremont.
  • releaserelease Posts: 8
    I failed my inspection on April 24 and just got a call yesterday from the transfer agent who I will meet with on Wednesday, so yes the process does take about the full 30 days.
  • wendwend Posts: 3
    I hear you. Brought mine in(1998 Tacoma, 118,000 mi.) 4 weeks ago. It failed, I left with it (thank God!) due to there being no rentals available. One week later they offer me a rental and I find out from Toyota they hadn't even processed my claim yet! A total of 2 1/2 weeks later I get an offer-not a good one either. Barely 150%kbb retail in excellent cond.(which is what they are going by). I have only owned mine for 3 years and during this time I have put a 2in. body lift kit, 4 in. suspension lift, fiberglass rear panel (I took off the bumper), 33" Micky Thompson's, polished aluminum rims, new air intake system (chrome) for more gas mileage and power, customized detail work along the body and across the tailgate and tonneau cover. I also recently put in 2 new sensors and a new windshield. When I refused the offer ISB (hired by Toyota) told me -"sorry, call Toyota.We don't cover aftermarket parts." I called Toyota, they said they would call me back in three days. That was 5 days ago. I called them today and the person in charge of my case was in a meeting. Still haven't received a call back. That's a long 8 hour meeting!!!
  • wendwend Posts: 3
    Anyone care to share info.?
    Brought mine in(1998 Tacoma, 118,000 mi.) 4 weeks ago. It failed, I left with it (thank God!) due to there being no rentals available. One week later they offer me a rental and I find out from Toyota they hadn't even processed my claim yet! A total of 2 1/2 weeks later I get an offer-not a good one either. Barely 150%kbb retail in excellent cond.(which is what they are going by). I have only owned mine for 3 years and during this time I have put a 2in. body lift kit, 4 in. suspension lift, fiberglass rear panel (I took off the bumper), 33" Micky Thompson's, polished aluminum rims, new air intake system (chrome) for more gas mileage and power, customized detail work along the body and across the tailgate and tonneau cover. I also recently put in 2 new sensors and a new windshield. When I refused the offer ISB (hired by Toyota) told me -"sorry, call Toyota.We don't cover aftermarket parts." I called Toyota, they said they would call me back in three days. That was 5 days ago. I called them today and the person in charge of my case was in a meeting. Still haven't received a call back. That's a long 8 hour meeting!!!
  • hockeyeasthockeyeast Posts: 43
    Mine was in the exact same spot and it failed. Take it to another dealer asap!!!!
  • ddurrantddurrant Posts: 1
    Completed my by-back of my 2000 Tacoma today. Took three weeks start to finish. Very efficient - got $15000 plus $1000 because i ordered a new Tacoma. Should have it next week. Pretty impressed with the way Toyota handled this.
  • jachjach Posts: 1
    I just found out about this TAC problem,I traded my TAC last yr for a new FJ,got very low trade-in value for it because of the rot.
    This was never documented by the dealer,now i've contacted Toyota and they say that i have no case,too bad i'm a twenty yr customer,it's all that we drive in my family.
    This won't be the case if they dodge this claim.
    Does anyone have any idea's about how to get them to honor my claim
    I have told them that i live in Mass and of course i would get frame rot.

JACH
  • dutchlundydutchlundy Posts: 1
    I just got wind of all this. I have an 02' what am I looking for? what is the official wording etc. that I must bring to my dealer? please give me the details and process.

thanks,
    Dutch
  • kowitzkowitz Posts: 7
    >I have an 02' what am I looking for?

Well, you can look for perforation on the frame, but I believe the customer service campaign for rust perforation is for model years '95-00, so they won't inspect / buyback your '02 under this program.

I'm not sure if the warranty extension announced covers all Tacomas or only those in the model years for the program.
  • kimberly66kimberly66 Posts: 1
    We're about to purchase, from toyota dealer, a cert. preowned 2004 tacoma, double cab, 2x4, 4cyl, 47k miles. Is there any concerns, recall on this? Will it worth it to purchase an extended warranty, bumper to bumper, 3years for $1000?
  • mattz88mattz88 Posts: 9
    Hello

For anyone that is getting a hard time from Toyota in terms of the Toyota Tacoma Frames rusting out please try this website The Center for Auto Safety It has alot of valuable information on it and you can file a complaint if you wish. Another website is Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA) | U.S. Department of Transportation file a complaint and they will start investigating your complaint. Hopefully this can help alot get many of these defective vehicles off the road and correct corporate irresponsibility.
    Thanks
    http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/TOYOTA_TACOMA_comments_and_complaints_202-2- - 109-4.html
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/slideshow/news/15876993/detail.html
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/15879699/detail.html
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/15877183/detail.html
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/toyota-offers-to-buy-back-rusty-tacom- - as/
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/16192222/detail.html
  • j81j81 Posts: 7
    Welcome to Toyota!
  • j81j81 Posts: 7
    CERTIFIED, That word always cracks me up. The guy that did our certified vehicles worked at McDonald's before coming to our dealership. 9 out of 10 of our "Certified" vehicles come from the auction and were prior rental cars. But seriously, I personally wouldn't but the truck. Yes, Toyota makes a great engine. However be prepared to repair the following as I SOLD many, many of oxygen sensors, air fuel ratio sensors, both inner tie rods, front wheels bearings, inner & outer seals, snap rings, rear axle seals and rear shoes, steering rack grommet, steering rack, p/s pump, catalytic converter, front turn signal (moisture) front & rear bumpers (if not chromed, clear coat peels of and rusts) manifold, since it's a 4cyl. That's all I can think of right off the top of my head. Oh, yeah, we did have several double cabs leak water at the windshield.
  • What other American manufacturer would stand behind their vehicles like Toyota does?

Ever hear of any of the big three buying back the junks they produced? I doubt it, and I'm speaking from experience.
  • gr8rotarygr8rotary Posts: 7
    Tylorkitty, After several followup phone calls (by me) I finally received my offer letter today, exactly 2 weeks after they took my truck. For my '99 regular cab 4x4, 185,000 miles, they offered me $12,075. Actually a little bit more than my calculations. I will quickly fax my acceptance and try to close this deal. I have a new Nissan Frontier waiting for me.
    Good luck with your buyout.
  • agne53agne53 Posts: 1
    About three weeks ago I purchased a 2000 Tacoma without any knowledge of the frame rot issue and buy back program. I had been researching trucks for over a year and had not heard anything about issues with frames. Obviously I'm now concerend about what I just purchased. The truck has lived most of its life in Southwest Ohio. I have looked at the frame at different times since I found out about the problem but I have not found any holes just surface rust at all of the major welds. I still have not done a real extensive look or used a hammer on the frame yet. I plan on taking the truck into my dealer here in Kentucky and was wondering what would happen if it fails. Would I qualify for the 150% buy back or what? If it passes the inspection should I look to get it undercoated? If so what product? company would you recommend I am in the greater Louisville area.