Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• cal4cal4 Posts: 14
    The MPG went down 2-3 MPG and the price of Tacoma trucks when up 5.1% for 2009. But toyota is giving you a 1K coupon for a new one. Who is this favoring!?
  • what are they really doing with all the trucks, i seen car car carrier loaded with old tacoma going north on 75 in ky into ohio
  • tmiller159tmiller159 Posts: 25
    They are taking them to a salvage yard and crushing them. Not one part is being saved. Even the dealers are unable to obtain good used parts from them. Very sad. Reminds me of the EV1 electric cars that GM crushed because they were "too good" and had to go. A little worse though because there was nothing wrong with them.
  • divwiddivwid Posts: 10
    Dear cal4---Thanks for your input. Feel a little better now. Guess I will need to just "bite the bullet", take it into the local dealership here in S. Ontario and face what comes. Checked into Canadian Black Book for truck's value. Do feel better having done some homework and like this site too. Love my truck! But what will be will be! Females alone have to get some you know whats when dealing with the city dealerships. I am a small town girl---farm-raised, but this is hard on the nerves!! Thanks for your input. Keep the messages coming and I will for sure keep all you Taco. guys and gals informed of my experience. Hoping my wheels will come home with me. Gas prices insane here but would like to keep my Tacoma until I run it into the ground. Gently used, lady-driven, only 96,000 kms. (65,000 miles??) and 8 years old. Such a shame to see it in a scrap yard if it comes to that. Thanks guys!!
  • 2001taco2001taco Posts: 14
    Well we finally heard from Toyota on our 2001 . Book value and not a penny more is what we will be receiving ...I guess they really wanted to make sure I NEVER buy another toyota!
  • ldent1ldent1 Posts: 5
    If I received a letter does this mean I have a VIN# that is part of the buy back? I am taking mine in next week, because of the letter I received, to the dealership where I bought it 11 years ago brand new. It is a 1997 with 73,000 miles on it because I have a car and a truck. I am not seeing many 1997's that have been bought back. I have mixed emotions about this buy back because I cannot replace it but I would be a fool not to accept 150% of what it is worth on a 11 year old vehicle. Mine is in great shape and there are things that I would take off if they buy it back.
    I have the same truck with 73,000 miles and in great condition. I take mine in next week so I am curious what you received.
    What kind of truck was this 98? I have a 97 4X4 Extended Cab with 73,000 miles on it. Just wondered how fair this buyout was.
  • bigandybigandy Posts: 70
    Anyone have any idea what kind of percentage of pre-2004 Tacomas are passing the Toyota inspections? Thinking about buying something in the 2000-2003 range and would like to have some idea of what I might be getting into. I'm in California and I would have to think that most of the trucks around here are ok, but that's why I'm asking.
  • hockeyeasthockeyeast Posts: 43
    I received almost 9000.00 for my 96 4WD std. cab w/156,000 miles. That was fair!
    New payment suxs though.
  • heywood1heywood1 Posts: 839
    The buyback money is not intended to to put owners in a new truck 'free and clear.' It's meant to provide owners with enough money to replace a vehicle with a similiar one at the retail price point, and cover tax, title, fees, and (maybe) aggravation. And, remember, Toyota is valuing all vehicles as being in 'Excellent' condition. I seriously doubt the majority of these 7-12 year-old trucks actually are.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    Which just emphasizes the point. If you had a 98 Tacoma with 6-digit mileage and it was sent to the crusher,
    A) you likely won't find another 98 Tacoma that the buyback cash would cover
    B) you won't trust another Tacoma of that vintage
    C) you aren't likely to buy another brand truck of that age and mileage because you won't know its history

So that leaves you in the position of spending money on a new/newer vehicle that this buyback won't necessarily cover. Now you're making payments again (and seeing higher insurance premiums) when that 98 Tacoma was costing you very little to own.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• modman2modman2 Posts: 2
    TOOK MY 98 TACOMO EXTRA CAB 86,000 MILES ON IT IN FOR INSPECTION JULY 1, IT FAILED RECEIVED LETTER JULY 10 TOYOTA GIVING ME $14,400 FOR IT, LETTER OF APPROVAL WAS SENT FAXED BACK JULY11.
    Admittedly, used Tacomas aren't for sale on every street corner. In general, though, I think this buyback program is more than fair for most people in most situations.

BTW: I am the owner of a 2001 Tacoma that was taken off the street by my dealer just last week, due to hole in the frame you can put your hand through. Vehicle only has 38,000 miles, and from what I read here, I probably WON'T be getting 1.5x value like '95-'00 owners with 6-digit odometers.

But even if I receive only 1.0x retail value (not including $1,000 new vehicle credit many in this forum are getting), it's still more than I could have ever sold it for privately or received in trade. Also, its condition was not 'Excellent.'

I went ahead a bought new '08 Access Cab 4x4, even though my case hasn't been settled yet. I'm betting that being an agreeable, loyal customer will serve me better than being complaintive and angry. Picked up the truck this morning. New Tacoma is like a Lexus compared to the '01. Love it.
  • f3wf3w Posts: 1
    Everyone mostly seems satisfied with their offer, has anyone contacted a lawyer or product liability type? Has anyone haggled for more money?

2000 Tacoma TRD extended cab 100k mi, excellent shape, dealer serviced;
    offer: $15.9k + 1k incentive to buy another Toyota
    Dear bigandy---As stated in one of my previous messages, I called my dealership here in Southern Ontario a few weeks ago regarding how many of the trucks are being pulled off the road. My recall letter concerns Tacomas 1995-2000 with a small no. that are supposedly shaowing frame perforation. Dealership here said that they had seen 10 Tacos so far and that 4 had been pulled off the road. We in this area of course deal with road salt for several months every year. Not a huge sample of what may be going on across N. America but just letting you know of my info. so far. My truck goes in to be inspected next week. Time to face the music. I have a 2000 Tacoma-65,000 miles?--96,000 kms. Letter says will receive 1.5 Canadian Black Book value. That will place it at approx. 15,000-16,000 dollars Canadian. Perhaps it pass inspection. Will keep you guys posted.
    I have a 1997 Tacoma 4X4 Extended cab with 73,000 miles and it passed inspection yesterday. There must have been 15 or 20 of them on the lot that had failed. It was truly sad and mine was in better shape than any of them so I was really glad it passed. I cannot replace my truck with what I want so I would prefer just to keep what I have knowing I have taken care of it. The dealorship said 90% are failing inspection so I really thought there was no hope in bringing it home. It is home and it is mine and it is paid for. I will have it inspected once a year in the spring after the winter salt for 4 more years. The money was good but having my truck is better!
  • cal4cal4 Posts: 14
    What are people paying for new 2008-2009 Tacoma's in relation to MSRP? If the trucks went up 5.1% this year. The Toyota Corp. gives a 1K check to get into a new one but that doesn't mean much if the dealers are sticking to the window sticker price.

As to the disscussion on how may trucks are failing inspection. Some dealer's must be grading harder than others. Our Canton Ohio dealer is flunking every one that comes in as far as I can tell then selling most all of them a new vehical..
    Here in western PA, I paid $22,750 ($23,750 minus $1,000 rebate) + tax for '08 Access Cab 4x4 V6 Auto base model. Only options were sliding rear window and mats/door sills. MSRP was $25,139. Dealer had to locate due to color. Could have had one on the lot for $200 less. I probably could have trolled the internet for a dozen quotes and saved a few hundred more, but my dealer has been helpful with the frame issue on my '01. Inspection is tomorrow.
    Dear Ident1--Have now spoken to 3 local Toyota dealerships in the Southern Ontario area. Road salt an issue here every winter. The stats. here are as follows according to the "service person" that I spoke to at each dealership. Toyotatown-London, ON-10 Tacos in (4 pulled off road), Competition Toyota-also in London, ON (20 Tacos in (4 pulled off road), Exeter Toyota-Exeter, ON (8 or 9 Tacos in (4 pulled off road) Also, Exeter Toyota allowed pulled Taco owners to take trucks home and remove anything of value such as newer set of tires, etc. etc.. Not sure if that affects the Canadian Black Book Value they received however they could return truck after they had "stripped truck" My truck goes for inspection tomorrow. Will update then via this site. My truck has 96,000 kms.--65,000?? miles. What a pain in the butt this situation is! DIVWID--Lady Taco owner in S. Ontario