Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• Update:

Got my offer from Tiffany today.

KBB on my truck was $10,405 as of earlier this week. That was with the aftermarket tires that I was told to remove, and did. I'm sure the KBB was probably in the high $9k's.

They offered me $14,910. I'm happy with the offer and will be accepting. So far, other than a voucher, I received everything a normal '95-'00 owner did even though I have a 2001. Full rental, good service from Toyota of Keene, 150% offer, etc.

I know some of you have had issues getting a good offer for your 2001+ trucks, but the only thing I did is explain my honest concerns and feelings about the whole situation to Tiffany. I was a bit long winded, but being in SoCal, I wasn't sure if they knew the situation with trying to buy another used Tacoma and the inflated prices due to the recall. I explained the market up here in New England, how I wish I could just keep my truck and how happy I was with it before this happened. Previous to this, I was a diehard Toyota fan that recommended them to anyone.

This keeps me a happy Toyota customer. It was about a month since day 1 of my ordeal until I got my offer. Can't complain with the timeframe either.

Thank you, Toyota. I wish all of you guys the same luck and help as I received.
  • my concerns are the same as yours..
    i love my truck.. the thing runs like a champ.. ive been super anal with maintenance as I am with all my stuff. i did all my oil changes at or earlier than 3k with full syn mobil 1
    I also have been preaching toyota to everyone i know for a long time !!..

im going to try to make an appt tomorrow to get mine checked.
  • What options do you have on your truck? Mine is a basic 01, 4wd, extended cab, 4 cyl 5 sp. My KBB now is about $ 8800. KBB on Oct 7 was about 10,000.
    Thanks
  • rcoolercoole Posts: 10
    Good for you man!! I knew that Toyota would eventually see that they had a problem beyond the 2000's. I had a 2000 that failed and wound up with an 09 at a very difficult to refuse price!
  • Mine is a '01 4wd V6 Extended Cab 5 speed TRD package with 137k.
  • wow.. so they owe me more then.

mine is a extra cab (extended) SR5 v6 auto 4x4 with step bars, alloy rims, rhino bed liner and a bed cover.
    I just put in a new exhaust this year, timing belt, water pump..
    has a remote start.

i cant beleive yours is 8800 now and 2 months ago it was 10G.
    i dont know how or if I can actually get older KBB reports.
  • no rental.
    they failed the truck...
    I love it..
    1st they thought it was in the 95 - 00 range.. so they said I cant take the truck
    and I have to take a rental.. they said if I did not take the rental then I cant get the rental at a later date because toyota does not want to be responsible for anything
    that could happen if I took the truck. I said I have to take the truck as I have stuff to take from it. I said I doubt toyota is going to pay for my remote starter so I am taking it out. I then said that my truck is an 01 and they said "ohh well then they are not doing rentals for 01 owners because its not in the 95 - 00 window".
    so I guess what that must mean is, toyota is 100% positive that premature frame failure that can cause personal injury and/or death, will not happen if your tacoma is an 01 or newer.

so now I wait for the call..
  • tcincytcincy Posts: 28
    mcalautt: They can't force you to leave your truck. All they did was inspect it - it belongs to you. I had a service tech tell me the same thing. When I raised HELL with the Area Service Mgr., he said the service tech didn't know what he was talking about. He stated: "You have three choices: (1) You can leave it here take everything out of it and begin driving a rental for 30 days; (2) You can take the truck with you and AFTER ISG contacts you about meeting them with the truck, the keys and title, and they pay you, you can leave it at that time, THEN get a 30 day rental; (3) You can take your truck and drive on your merry way and you don't even have to take part in the buyback program.

I chose 2. I drove my truck for about 3-1/2 weeks while waiting on ISG, I scouted other purchases, then turned in my truck to ISG when I got paid, THEN I drove a loaner car for 30 days until I bought another vehicle.

Tim / Abbeyr4@aol.com
  • classic
    I was offered no rental and was told that because I have a 2001.
  • After my initial offer of 11,100 I kind of complained a lot about the KBB value and asked when they established it. When they called me back about it they said they had increased the offer to 13,200. this is 150% of their KBB value which I still think is low. They didn't give any specific reason for increasing the offer.
    Truck is basic 01 4wd extra cab SR5 4cyl 5sp
  • If you got 150% for your 2001 and newer Tacoma, could you please post

- your truck's miles, trim, and basic info
    -date of the offer
    - your first name
    - your city and state
    - the name of the representative you spoke to

I'm building a case to get 150% for mine and it would help me a great deal to have some corroboration about the new deals. Thanks a ton!!!!!
  • It is important that those of you with 2001 and newer Tacoma's with serious frame rust follow the correct procedure to get satisfaction for your complaints. You must file a formal complaint with the NHTSA as a minimum, like those of us with 95-2000 model year trucks did. When I did this a year ago October 07, I came here and asked people with similar complaints to do the same. By March 08, there were 3000+ formal complaints filed with NHTSA. The NHTSA has more horsepower to deal with these issues than any of you do alone so do it right and follow the path to success. It takes time and patience to get results but you will be rewarded for doing so. Go here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm and get started now.
  • you think I should file the complaint now ?

or wait to see if I get low balled.

i took my truck in fri.. so far no call yet from toyota.
  • I dont know if this is a poor joke or not because I know the guy there...

He claims toyota has now extended the wauranty from 01 to 04.
    sounds good right ?
    he also claims that toyota is going to pay to have them put my truck on a new frame!.

Let me tell all of you who dont know how the auto business works.. THIS IS NOT AN OPTION... your truck will never be the same.. it will rattle, things will break that normally wouldnt.. its a MASSIVE job, a job I would only recommend if you were building a rock climber or something to beat on in the mud.. not your daily driver.
    99% of all dealers pay thier techs flate rate. so that means they will be told that a job pays 2 hours for example and the tech would need to get that job done in 2 hours or less to make money.. so.. rush the job and get it done in 1.5 hours and u still get paid the 2 hours... so can you imagine the scope of this with replacing a frame? There wouldnt even be enough room to do this type of job in most shops.. its not a typical job..
    I told them NO.. and he is going to relay the info...

stand by.
  • How can the dealer install a new frame without giving you a salvage title on your truck? That's got to be a load of BS. To do all that they would need to pull the engine, remove the body piece by peice (the truck is not of unibody construction) and then put it all together. Besides, does the dealership have the time and staff to handle a full frame-off restoration? As far as the other question goes - YES FILE WITH THE NHTSA RIGHT AWAY. Send a CC to the Federal trade commission, your attorney general, and your state consumer protection board. If your dealer told you the warruntee was extended - P-L-E-A-S-E GET THIS IN WRITING AND POST IT/ EMAIL IT/ SCAN IT IN SO THE REST OF US CAN SEE!!!!! Thanks!
  • I heard the same thing today from a person I've talked to who works at a Toyota dealership as a service technician. The field service manager came into their shop to explain to them how the procedure will work.

They are expected to do the job in 60 man hours.

VERY glad my offer came last week from Tiffany, I would have no confidence in a truck rebuilt with a new frame after 140k miles. Just imagine how many snapped bolts there will be.....just on the shackles!
  • the frame replacement stunt is true. Kevin, the case manager at toyota, called me last night.. he wasnt really nice.. wouldnt let me ask many questions and I got the feeling he was getting annoyed when I did.
    he said they are now looking into "repairing" 01 to 04 by replacing the frame.
    I said i dont understand because toyota has bought back all 95-00 and a few 01.
    he claims that is because a different vendor manufactured the frames for 95 - 00 and that is why they are having the problem.. I said, clearly that cant be because 01 have rot in the same exact place.. He continued to repeat that they are going to review the case and call me back by monday to determine if my truck is going to get a frame replacement..
    He claims they are doing this because they have frames for 01 and up but not 00 back.
    i dont believe that for a second.. I didnt tell him last night that im not accepting a new frame because I suppose there is a possibility that they can still offer to buy the truck however i doubt it..
  • Our 1997 Toyota Tocoma failed the frame inspection on 12/9/08. We are waiting to hear from Toyota now, they assured us that it wouldn't take long as it would have before. Question: Did anyone recieve a 1099 with the buy back that you would have to claim on your taxes as income? We are going to use all of it, plus some cash to buy another vehicle (no payments!) If that is the case, we shall need to keep some money back to pay taxes when we file taxes. Lessens the amount of approx. money we have to buy another truck...... Help!!!!!!
  • For those of you that have been through this Toyota Frame inspection buy back what is the deal with a rental vehicle? I took my 2000 Tacoma in for inspection on Friday, it failed but they said I could drive it. However, the Sales Rep I spoke with before I left said that I probably shouldn't. I am waiting to be contacted by ISG now. Also, has anyone been successful in recouping any money spent on warranties that were purchased for the vehicles that failed the inspection? Any information would be greatly appreciated.