Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• vdragonvdragon Posts: 12
    I have a 2003 that's been in CA (Orange County to San Francisco) it's whole life. I called and had the Dealer check my VIN and he says my truck is not on the recall list. I'll have to check the frame myself. It sounds like this is mainly affecting trucks in the snowy areas that use salt on the roads. That sucks...

But I hope my frame is OK.
  • Great letter. Very informative and well written. Have you heard back from anyone yet? I have an '01 that's sitting in the shop right now. They did give me a loaner but I want my truck back. They've already made it very clear there will be no buyback. I just wonder how long and how much bs until my truck's back to where I want it.
  • It has been 5 weeks now and no information on when the frames may be available. As others have noted the Corp reps are useless, they have no information and repeat the same corporate BS. Case manager (Kevin of other postings) refuses to provide the letter or provide a higher authority to talk to. Unbelievable. They're deliberately stonewalling us. To top it off my buddy Kevin tells me the local dealer is the one who would have the info and my local dealer tells me they get all the info from corporate. Dealer has no idea what parts to order, what part numbers will be needed, when they may get parts, etc. Absolutely atrocious responses from Toyota corp and their lackeys. Dealer now has 4 Tacoma's sitting there with same issue.

I'm going to try contacting local papers and TV stations but am not holding out much hope.
  • I called Toyota Canada and am not happy. I spoke with a female Toyota employee and she started off her conversation with "we've told you over and over again, your 2001 Tacoma is not covered under this campaign".

The reason she said "over and over" is because I emailed them 3 times regarding this issue because they never answered my question, so I replied until they answered. She said regardless of what is happening in the US, Toyota Canada does not have a program for 2001-2004 Tacomas. She was extremely rude, all I called for was because I wanted to know if the frame replacement in the US applied in Canada.

Oh well, theres really not much to do but wait. I don't plan on keeping a truck that had the frame replaced, so hopefully they buy it back and I can purchase a new Tacoma, if not, I don't know what to do.

Grammy
  • well she sucks and so does her attitude.
    If I were you, I wouldnt buy a new tacoma or any toyota for that matter after being treated the way people have been and to think thats just in this forum.
    I fought with Keven and he was pretty much reading from a Q card. it was pointless.
    so i told him I will never buy a toyota again and he said "thats your decision to make"
    So tomorrow it looks like I will be getting a honda element.
    I wanted the ridgeline ( which is awesome) but the gas mileage is bad :(..
  • Same bs I heard. Sounds almost word for word. Still waiting to hear ANYTHING. No one has a clue what is going to happen let alone when. Its been 2 weeks and the dealership still knows nothing. Kevin just reads from a card and won't tell me anything. I'm getting real disgusted with Toyota and it looks like Nissan here I'm come.
  • Nissan or honda ..
    u cant lose..
    I just missed a 2007 honda element AGHHHHH
    it was awesome but they would not meet me on the price..
    major bummer .. :(....

look at consumer reports for honda and nissan if your looking for a truck again.
    the ridgeline is awesome and got excellent ratings.Get this,
    nissan makes thier NISMO frontier.. and I heard that Suzuki is going to sell
    the exact same truck and with suzuki you get a longer factory warranty.
    Worth looking into because its literally the NISMO with suzuki badges.
    my buddy has a NISMO and loves it.
  • Toyota :lemon: dissed me and now I drive a Nissan. To hell with them!!!
  • Yeah, bought my wife an '05 Nissan Xterra Off Road. Absolutely love it. It would run circles around my 3.4L taco. I really like the '03 and up Frontiers, and I did see the new Suzukis in a quad mag. Not real crazy with the bed on the Honda though. The bedsides are too high for my liking. My dealer told me to just tell him what year/make/model/mileage and he'll find it for me. Just wondering what I'll get for my truck though.
  • cman23cman23 Posts: 3
    I recently posted some info regarding the frame replacement, the kit will consist of new brake lines,parking brake cable, front control arms and rear leaf springs. There are a few other items, but it is unclear exactly what they are, I would imagine hardware. Hopefully this is beneficial to some of you. The frames are being provided by DANA corp in KY, which should be available very shortly.
  • Thanks for the info.

For clarity, do we know...

1) When was the last year this frame model was used in tacomas? (1995 - 2004?)
    2) Are the 2005 and newer ones using a different design?
    3) Is Dana the supplier of the original bad frames, or just the replacement ones?
    4) Who makes the frames for 2005 - 2009 model run?

Thanks
    -wsn
  • I too have a 2001 Tacoma with a rusted frame. The dealer now has my truck and gave another vehicle for my use while the frame is replaced. I don't understand all of the noise people are making about the problem. We all bought Tacomas because of their quality and Toyota's reputation. I read where many of the trucks have several hundred thousands of miles and the only problem has been the frame. Toyota has stepped up to the plate and agrees to repair them. It is an inconvenience but I am sure Toyota will do a quality repair just as they do in manufacturing the vehicle in the first place. Just imagine if there were a similar problem with a truck made by an American manufacturer. We would all be getting zip! So let's give Toyota a chance to repair these trucks. It is understandable that people would want a new truck for free but it is not realistic. There are tens of thousands of trucks that will require repair at a tremendous cost to Toyota. Have patience --- life is too short!
  • I speak for only myself, but Toyota's lack of communication in this matter is what bothers me the most. I asked for a reasonable time frame that the work would be done in, what parts would be replaced, and the going forward warranty. I asked for it in writing, multiple times. Toyota Corp said "no". I think my requests were very fair given the work being undertaken. Toyota was also very arrogant when I made these inquiry's about 'My' truck.

Again everybody has their own things that work for them, but Toyota's lack of communication (still no letter yet) and arogant attitude is what upset me.

As far as the loaner goes. Some people want 'their' trucks. This is not a 3 day deal, it will be many months. Also Toyota offers no insurance on their rental, that burden is also on you.

Toyota has also known about this for some time but has chosen 'saving face' in the media over alerting people asap as they are maybe riding around with loved ones in a potentialy structually unsafe (in crash) truck.

Again to each their own, but while it may work for you, the outlined points above, in my opinion, justify people's anger.

-wsn
  • My thoughts exactly. I've been driving around in my truck with my 15mo. old daughter everyday! Believe me, I appreciate the loaner and my dealership has been pretty good but they still don't know anything yet either. Toyota corp. has been the worst though. They won't tell me anything and expect me to thank them when this was their (or whoever they sub'd the frames out to) fault. And I still haven't gotten a letter.
  • ya thats exactly the attittude they have..
    that is an excellent way to put it..
    They act as if they are doing us a favor. My rep (kevin) kept saying this was a good will decision for me because I have an 01 but got into the buyback program.
    He kept saying it as if to shut me up because I was lucky to be getting a check instead of the frame. He kept saying how the "program" my truck fell into does not offer a buyback only a frame replacement. So I asked, Kevo, what would your answer be if we were having this conversation 6 months ago when there wasnt a "program" for the 01-04 trucks?. I got no answer.
  • theiglutheiglu Posts: 10
    I had my truck taken away on Nov 5th.

I'm scheduled to get my check for my 2001 TRD in less than two hours.
  • I would like to say this forum was very helpful for me and this is obviously a huge problem for toyota.. By reading this forum and gathering information it was at least fun to get service writers back peddling. What a friggin nightmare I have a 01 tacoma and to me toytota is nuts to put a new frame in vehicles worth about six grand.My truck was rear ended and needs 2 grand worth of work and I told the body shop to hold off,since I can drive it and wait to see what my frame status is..He told me the frame was changed in 01 and that explains the 98 to 2000 buy back they can't get them as someone posted. The retail price of a frame I was told is 3 grand,to me it would make sense for toyota to make some kind of offer to owners,if they would buy a new truck. I am also waiting for my letter and a call back from the dealer for a appointment.The frame warranty I believe he said is for fifteen years and the 01 to 04 trucks have just been added as a potential problem,last month I was told the 01 is fine. .Oh and that this is not a recall I guess just a huge blunder.Living in new jersey I feel it's not a question of if the frame will rust out it's just how soon. No wonder the beds are now made of plastic they probably would make the whole truck out of plastic if they could.
  • your 01 will rot out if its in or around new england.
    it isnt a recall, im not sure how toyota got away with this not being a recall but they did. Maybe because they call it a "buy back" program and they "extend" the warranty on the frames.
    In my experience, it didnt seem to matter if you were going to buy another toyota.
    I had initially said that to the boston rep that came to look at my truck at the dealership and then when ISG called me with an offer I declined because I thought I should have got a little more. My case manager called me and basically said I was lucky and that this was a "good will" buy back.
    As I mentioned before, he claims " we are not in the business of buying trucks back".
    so that made my decision simple.
    I wont ever give my money to toyota again.
    As I said before, they act as if we are lucky they are even doing anything.
    Also, think of this... Toyota had a 3rd party company manufacture these frames so you can only assume toyota is going after them as well so toyota will be compensated in some way so its not totally out of pocket for them.
  • tcincytcincy Posts: 28
    You were right to hold off on the body shop work. If it's that bad they will cover it, if it's not covered now it will be. the "frame being changed in 01" sounds kind of fishy. so if it was, it shows the old one was bad and Toyota should replace it too.

My case:

My Tacoma was a 1999. I took it in for inspection in August, 2008.
    I was told the program covered 1995-2000 Tacomas.
    My Truck had enough rust that made it eligible for buyback.
    But I didn't leave it at the dealer -even though one service guy tried to get me leave it - telling me it was a "safety" issue and it was dangerous. I told him I drove it to the dealer, I'm taking it and driving it while I wheel and deal with the Tacoma ISG Rep. They don't have any choice - it's your truck. You have the right to take it.
    I FIRST drove it as much as I wanted;.

AFTER I settled with the Tacoma ISG rep, and he paid me, THEN I took Tacoma's loaner for 30 days. That way I took my time looking for a new vehicle.

How the extended 15 year warranty works:

My brother took in his 1998 at the same time I took in my 1999.
    It didn't qualify for buyback - not enough rust. However, Dealer said Tacoma will extend, immediately the entire frame warranty for ALL TACOMAS, for
    15 (fifteen) years from the date it was purchased new.
    He bought his in December 98, so he can breing it back, once a year, until December 2013 and have it checked for rust, and if enough rust shows up on it, that is eligible for buyback. I don't see how they can't extend the warranty for 2001's, 2002's 2003's etc. if rust remains a problem.
    I would sit and wait and drive it sparingly and try to drive something else old until it's resolved. I wouldn't spend $ 2,000 or $ 3,000 on it until I found out about Toyota covering it ean,ezn1o
  • Like I said you and others writing in this forum have been very informative and I thank you again. I really think the economy is playing into this problem maybe if toyota didn't decide to be kings of the big truck market and get into NASCAR at the worst time possible,they would have some cake for us. I really do believe at some point down the road they will figure this is nuts and make offers to us. I also think they have to look at this case by case. My 01 bare bones 4wd for example versus a loaded 04 has to come into play What about the bare bone 2wd trucks that are eight years old it just does not make sense. I am no mechanic but I know you built the vehicle around the frame and when most older vehicles get frame damage they are totaled. Could you imagine what this job would cost out of warranty at a buck twenty an hour and with a parts markup? They wanted 500 to install shocks I purchased. A point nobody is bringing up is how this effects the mechanics at toyota and the dealerships. They have to tie up A mechanics to do warranty frame work. Warranty work is always a loser for them as we speak toyota probably can't even put a exact time on this job. Along with those rusted frames are a lot of rusted bolts.They will have a lot of happy workers, lets see warranty frame job or cash brake job or tuneup. In my earlier post it was reputable body shop that told me they changed the frame in 01 ,the shop looked it up on the computer. I was all ready to get it fixed and then I came across this forum and told him to postpone the job till I get a answer. The sad part of this whole thing is the trucks on the outside look great. Back in the day the tacomas had all the rust problems with the wheel wells and beds. They fixed that and this time you can't notice the problem. A lot of people will get screwed,who buy them used and don't know of the problem. I cannot do that and will go down with the ship.Either they show me the money or it will be a old truck with a new frame. Maybe they made these frames out of the old rusted out trucks?