Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• jmack05jmack05 Posts: 6
    Is there any kind of significant percentage that have passed? From my browsing, not really unless the vehicle never saw the outside world.
  • tcincytcincy Posts: 28
    jmack:

The first thing is to find out if the Toyota program for Tacoma frame rust program is still in effect.

Back when I sold them my 1999 Tacoma - in Sept. 2008, they were qualifying rusted Tacomas under two circumstances:

1. Surface rust had to be, in their estimation, in excess of their "standards".
    At the time their standards were they didn't want very much surface rust
    on any Tacoma frame.

My Tacoma qualified - but my brother and I agreed (and the Service Mgr.
    agreed) there was not "a ton" of surface rust. Yes, after 9 years there
    was some, but it wasn't a concern the frame would rust through. But it
    qualified.

2. If there is / was even a pinhole-sized rust through hole - no matter how small - anywhere on the frame - the Tacoma qualified.

You might ask what the qualifying factors are NOW as compared to back in 2007-2009.

Good Luck.
    Thanks, esp tcincy
    Got bulletin in mail back in April/May. I'm thinking Toyoya is wanting to wash their hands of this mess esp with 96-00 trucks sooner rather than later, at least that's what I'm hearing, very few if any trucks are 'passing.' I'm fine with it because I have no choice anyway. Took creeper/maglite under truck today, lots of 'bubbly' rust over rear 2/3 of frame, usually not a big deal, but in this circumstance, I can see where it is probably going to end up. Whatever, will be fine either way, as long as they 'take care of their customer.'
  • I have a 1998 Toyota Tacoma and I am taking it to the dealership because I received a letter from Toyota. I live in Virginia where they put a lot of salt on the roads in Winter. The letter states if they find rust perforation that they will repurchase the vehicle. If not, they will do the rust corrosion treatment. So I am going this week to see what they say. I will be glad when this is over and I wish they would buy the truck for a decent price if it is going to rust down in the road.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    You'll get 150% of Kelly "Excellent" BlueBook value if rust perforation is found.
    You are correct, 2001 and after get the new frame.
    Correction on this post, 2000 on up, get the new frame if rust perforation is found.
    I'm confused, hearing no buy backs on 2000 on up, buy backs on 2000 on up; frame replacing on 2000 or 2001 on up? Bulletin letter states either buy back or anti-corrosive treatment. Plus, I'm hearing very little on the anti-corrosive treatment actually happening.
  • Well, I shall find out this week. Never expected this to happen to my truck. Joyce
    Truck went in this morning, passed frame test, going next week for anti-corrosive treatment, will have truck for 2-3 days, get free loaner. Service manager said very few 00s are passing, but I'm probably better off since my trucks buyback would have been between $11000-$12000. Not much out there at that level, since used prices are a bit elevated esp on [non-permissible content removed] vehicles. Keep in mind replaced timing belt, shocks, cats, and tires in last 2-3 years, glad I'm keeping truck.
  • Well, as long as you are satisfied. You know a person does not have any control over this situation that they are put into. And, you have to trust Toyota that they tell you the truth about the true condition of your truck. I just hope that if they do not buy my truck that I don't find out later that it did have a rust problem (or was very susceptible to rust) and I was not told about it. Because, you know, these Toyota Tacoma SR5 trucks cost a lot of money to buy at least a lot to me. Joyce
    Agree 100% with you. Unsure how consistent dealers are from one to other, but, I use a dealer about a half hour away because I have had poor service from the local one. I trust them, when I got home I got under truck and could see all the places they scraped and hammered, made me feel better. Prices are out of sight on any of these Japanese pickups, even used. Good Luck to you. Anxious to see the job they do with this anti-corrosion deal. Josh
  • Well, I called and made my appointment for Tuesday, Sept 6. They told me to bring my truck and plan to leave it and come back the next day and pick it up. I said to them you mean I have to leave it just to have it inspected and come back the next day? Yes, she said. Now, I ask you how hard is it to put this truck on a rack and check it out. Makes me wonder if they are just planning in advance to apply the corrosion resistant spray to my truck's frame. I might need to call another place and check their procedure. Joyce
  • Hi, I have a 1999 Tacoma with 54,000 miles in perfect condition. That is until my mechanic found extensive rust. Toyota has my truck, they gave me a loaner. Dealer says they will either replace the frame or buy back. It may take two weeks to get an answer.

From reading other posts, it seams the buy back is more likely. That's fine with me. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
    Dealer should know that they are not going to replace the frame on a "99". You'll get 150% of Kelly Bluebook Excellent value. This sounds good but on a truck as prestine as yours sounds, I might have wished that they reframed the truck. But you have no option. I had my 2004 reframed and the dealer did an excellent job. I kept it 3 weeks and then sold it. It was like having a brand new truck, but I just didn't need it any longer.
  • Thanks for sharing your experience. I just purchased a 2011 4Runner, so I really need the "buy back". I'm sure I could have kept my Tacoma for many more years, but I could never expect to get %150. Enjoy the weekend. D.
  • Ck w/the service manager. No 1 else knows beans. Mine said @ 30 min. to rack it, inspect it....& another 20min for the paperwork. In & out in less than an hr. Good luck....,john
    Interesting! I thought they were required to at least spray the truck to prevent further rust even if there isn't any, it if it passed inspection. You should for sure ask for this if they don't offer it.
  • Well, went to Shelor Motor Mile, Christiansburg, VA and left my 1998 Toyota Tacoma over night for the inspection. They found no rust perforation. They did the rust corrosion treatment and wanted to keep it 24 hours. After the vehicle was there for a few hours, I received another call that there was a crack in the manifold exhaust and it would cost me $518. Since this is not the place that services my vehicle (no longer under warranty), I declined the repair work. I will have it checked somewhere else and repaired by my service man. That way I will know if I truly have this problem and I already know I can save at least $150.
  • Hello,
    I'm a newbie to the tacoma world. I just purchased a 2003 Tacoma extracab 4x4 and I read some of the blogs about the frame rusting and toyota replacing the frame or buying the truck back. Could some steer me in the right direction to have my vehicle checked out for this? Not sure if the owner had it done or not he passed away in Jan. 2011 and I found a letter in the glove box for this problem. The underneath is all rusty but nothing serious. The wife said the vehicle has sat outside since her husband pasted away. The vehicle only has 52,000 miles on it and I really like this truck. Help!
    Thanks, :confuse:
  • You need to call Toyota, have your VIN ready. They will check to see if you qualify for the rust program. 800-331-4331. Good luck.
    No, you do not need to call Toyota. All you do is go to your nearest or most proficient Toyota dealer and they will bring your truck up there computer immediately by using your vin number. This will enable them to tell you on the spot if the rust inspection or rust proofing was completed by the previous owner. If not, they will schedule the inspection for you at that time. If it passes fine, if not they will schedule your truck for a reframe at no cost to you. This is good for any subsequent owners of the truck, you do not have to be the original owner for this service. There are no buy backs for the 2003 Tacoma's. My dealer reframed my 2004 Tacoma at a cost of $11,000.00 to Toyota no questions asked and they did a tremendous job. It was like getting a new half of a truck. Good Luck and keep us informed!
  • If your Toyota dealer passes it. Take it back EVERY 12mo. . Mine passed 1 1/2 ago then failed completely last Fri.
  • Good job Irv. Gotta love those dealers though...huh? You can save $300 if you go online & request quotes for the manifold. just Google...used auto parts & fill out the request. All you really need is the yr. & engine size. You'll receive quotes from all over. Some crazy high....some not. Some downright cheap. Honestly though, unless you notice a drop in power, or hear a ticking that's getting louder....,I wouldn't sweat it. My '97 had the same cracked mani. yours does since i bought it 3 yrs ago. You can see it. But it never got any worse & affected nothing. Mine just failed last fri. & they offered me the buyback for my Taco. Yes, I'm taking it. It passed last spring so in 16mo., mine fell apart. Let them treat it...,say "thank you"& be sure to have it inspected again in 366 days. You have 15 yrs from the manufacture date. Their "treatment" will not stop the deterioration of your frame IF.....it has already begun. It eats the frame from the inside out so most can't see it. I would never have known if i hadn't gotten out my little hammer & gone a "tappin'" on my frame. I encourage all 1995-1999 owners do the same ,AND TAKE IT BACK every 366 days till your 15yrs is up. CUDOS to Toyota for doing this though.....bc they did not have to. My daughters '97 Isuzu Rodeos' frame rusted & broke in half 2 yrs ago. She got zip.
    I encourage all 1995-1999 owners do the same ,AND TAKE IT BACK every 366 days till your 15yrs is up.

I'll go you one better, I suggest every Tacoma owner 2004 and earlier have the frame inspection performed every year until the warranty expires (15 years), until it fails.
  • I was told by the Toyota dealership that when I accepted the rust corrosion treatment (undercoating) it ended my warranty even though my 15 year warranty should not expire until 9-10-12. I don't know if this is true or not but that is what they told me when I was there at the end of Aug. I doubt if they would have volunteered this information but I asked them about when my warranty would expire and this is what they told me. I think there is a lot going on with this program that people don't know about.
    Joyce
    edited September 2011
    "Should a customer's vehicle experience this condition, they will be requested to present it to any Toyota dealer for inspection. Upon confirmation of rust perforation, Toyota will, at its option, buy back or repair the vehicle. If it is determined that no rust perforation is present, the extended warranty will be in effect for 15 years from original sale."

Above is an excerpt directly from Toyota explaining the warranty, your dealer is wrong or just misleading you.

Don't know how you could say there is a lot "going on" about this program that people don't know about? All you have to do is search "tacoma rust" and there are hundreds of websites that explain the details of this problem and solutions very plainly. It almost sounds like your trying to blame Toyota for something when in reality they have gone above and beyond what they would have had to to remedy this situation for Tacoma owners. Sure they sold a defective truck, but they wouldn't have had to spend millions of dollars to make the customer whole buying back and reframing Tacomas at a very expensive cost to them. Would Ford or Chevy do this? I think not! Okay, some might say that Fords or Chevys don't rust, no but they don't last as long and are not as usually dependable as a Toyota either.
  • Well I called toyota today and my 03 is covered under the frame rust problem. They advised me to call a dealer and have the frame checked. I called Kenny Ross of Moon Twp,Pa and have an appt. for wednesday. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all is ok and if not they put a new frame on. I would hate to get rid of this truck since I've only owned it for less than a week! I will keep posting my results. ;)
    edited September 2011
    Either way why would you get rid of it? If it passes you don't have a rust issue, if it fails, you get a new frame? Sounds like a win-win proposition to me. The best bit of advice I could give to you is make sure the dealer is well qualified to do a frame replacement if your truck should need it. All dealerships have sent two techs. to school to learn how to do this extensive frame replacement, but the job depends on the individuals who perform the 40 hour replacement job. Ask how many they have done. My experience was wonderful from my local dealer (Krause Toyota) in Allentown, PA. But I have also heard some horror stories from other dealereships where this replacement has gone horribly wrong for some Tacoma owners. I even heard of the cabs being put back on the frame 4" higher on one side than the other. Ask how many frame replacements they have performed before entrusting your truck to them.