Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• I agree it would be a win win for me. This is all new to me and I really appreciate all the great advise I've been given here. Thanks for that info on the frame replacement, I will definitley check out their experience. Well tomorrows the day....wish me luck :)
  • Ok had the inspection done today on my 03 Taco, everything went well. Normal surface rust and is scheduled for rust proofing/undercoating on 9-29-11 and I get a rental. Thanks to all of you for the great advice...Love my Tacoma :shades:
  • Toyota just bought my 1999 Tacoma for $16,200. Driving a 2011 4Runner now. End of story.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Good for you, enjoy!
  • Nice, I got 12k for my 99. This is my last post. I am tired of hearing people reply about thier paranoia that Toyota is up to something. Toyo makes a great product, but they used an inferior frame and are making it right. Where or who else would pay 12-16k for a 12y/o truck. Thanks Toyo i am enjoying my newer(but still old) 4runner on you dime after driving my 99 for 6 years.
  • I just took my 2002 Tacaoma to the dealer for the rust inspection. The frame needs to be replacedl. The cost is covered by the recall BUT I'm responsible for any parts that break when they are removed. I call Toyota and they refuse to cover any broken parts. Seems a bit odd that I need to pay for anything related to the rusted frame
    That's total bulls***, I just had mine replaced two months ago and if they damaged an item they removed, then they replaced it, no charge. That being said, if they discover a worn out part or something they feel should be replaced while they are doing the job and it's not related to the frame rust then it's there obligation to ask you if you want this item replaced at your cost or reinstalled as it was before.
  • I'm okay with paying for a part that needs to be replaced just not something that was damaged during the frame replacement. What dealership did you have the work done at ?
  • Just picked up my tacoma from the dealer after having the under coating applied to the frame. Everything went good and it looks great. They told me that it would be covered until 12/2018 for any more rust. I was confused about the time length of coverage and the dealer explained that it starts from 15yrs. from the purchase new date. So I get 7yrs...better than nothing. Can anyone tell me what was the original length of time for the rust corrosion when tacomas were purchased new? I'm guessing 3yr/36,000
  • Does anyone know where I can get the tailgate emblem (TOYOTA) for my 03 Tacoma? They are individual letters. I actually need the Y & O.
    Thanks
  • How did you get them to look at the truck after the warranty enhancement period has ended? I took mine to the dealer and they wouldn't even look at it. When I called the corporate offices they just basically said tough luck!!
  • dennisnydennisny Posts: 12
    edited October 2011
    I knew that I had bad rust on my 1999 Tacoma. I called Toyota and they started a case number for me, I told them what dealer I wanted to go to and Toyota made all the arangements for me to bring it in, as well as giving me a loaner for the three weeks it took to process my buy back check. Perhaps the extended rust program has ended.>>>. IT IS NOT A RECALL!!! Call Toyota again. Hope this helps. Good luck. (any good mechanic should be able to spot frame rust mine was big enough to put all of your fingers through)
    Warranty enhancement period couldn't possibly have ended when the trucks are guaranteed 15 years after first put into service. Therefore, yours is a 2002 guaranteed to 2017. Out of many, many post I have read on various threads and blogs you are the first one to ever get hassled by Toyota that I have heard of. Sorry !
  • I just purchased my 03 from a private owner's wife who's husband passed away in Jan. of this year. I heard about the rust problems with the frame. So I called Toyota and they said," call a dealer to set up an appt. to have the frame checked". I set up an appt. with Kenny Ross of Pa. They checked the frame for free and the frame checked out for normal rust. So I had to make another appt. for the rust coating and 2 weeks later it's all under coated and I got a free rental for the day. I also have the remainder of the 15yr extended warranty which will take me to 12/2018. I'm still a little confused on that, I would think that the 15yr warranty wouldn't start until the under coating was applied. But it is what it is.....
    I also registered on this website as the new owner of this Tacoma https://auth2.toyota.com/owners
    So my advise to you is keep after Toyota and maybe check with another dealer. Good Luck
  • mkubicmkubic Posts: 1
    I know you said it was your last post. Was your truck listed as an $8,000 value on KKB? I have a 98 valued at 5,240.00 on KBB. Looking at a 2005+ Tacoma and want to see what others were getting for there truck, compared to KKB prices.

If you would not mind sharing your trucks stats and when you turned it in I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • tazzarotazzaro Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    I bought my 2001 Taco 4x4 back in July 07. Took a 12 hour Jerry Springer bus trip to the closest Taco that was for sale, figured it was worth it having a Toyota. Truck was great, no major problems. I recently moved from MN to So Cali and looked under the truck and noticed the back of my frame had MAJOR rust issues where the leaf spring attaches to it. Big holes in the frame and areas missing that were about 1-1/2 feet long.

I took my truck to the dealer the next day, did not feel safe driving it. When their mechanic went to put it on the lift to inspect it he said he couldn't lift the truck without it breaking in half. He then showed me how the frame was already starting to buckle because the top of the bed was almost touching the cab. They took it off the road right there.

One month later, they finally figured out that they were going to replace the frame and gave me a loaner. Then today, 5 days later, I get a call from the dealer who said that Toyota has denied the repair of my truck. They said the offer expired. I mentioned that it was a 15 year warranty extension but the Service Manager said that because I did not bring the truck in to have it sprayed, and Toyota claims to have sent me 5 letters, that the warranty was not good anymore. I called the Toyota 1800 number he gave me and opened a claim.

From a post earlier in this thread, it appears that there was a Oct 31, 2010 deadline to have the 01-04s brought in to have inspected. I missed that date, obviously, but feel Toyota should still live up to their warranty since the rust on my truck had to have taken longer than 9 months.

So upset right now I can't see straight. :mad: What can I do or say to Toyota to get them to make this repair or offer a buyback?
    "From a post earlier in this thread, it appears that there was a Oct 31, 2010 deadline to have the 01-04s brought in to have inspected. I missed that date"

Not true, just had my 2004 Taco reframed in August 2011, dealer could not have been more accomodating and did a wonderful job at no cost ( $11,000 job) to me. It's like having a new truck. Truck has 160,000 miles on it and I was the second owner. The frame was never inspected or had any rust application whatsoever before I took it in. I had no paperwork or any notifications from Toyota, I just decided to take it in one day after reading about the frame problems.
  • I purchased my 03 on 9-10-11 and had it undercoated on 9-29-11. They gave me no hassle at all. I did hear that the expiration date was determined on the state that you live in. I live in Pa where the salt is terrible on you're vehicle. I would call Toyota 1-800-331-4331 and ask them if this is true. Sorry
  • I just talked to a customer service rep from Toyota who said that I had until March 31, 2011 to have the vehicle inspected to be eligible for the warranty. It didn't matter whether or not the frame rust was so bad that it had been ongoing long before that. She said Toyota is very firm about the date, even refusing to honor the warranty if the date is missed by one day.

I don't know what my options are at this point other than have my insurance company total it out.
  • 150% of whatever the KBB says, in excellent condition. I used the KBB app on my iPhone, added in all the extras (like SR5 & power windows), and it was right on %150. I had a 1999 Tacoma, xta cab V6 4X4 Power Cruise Alloy wheels. 54k miles in perfect condition, but the condition is not important. Good Luck. D.
  • Can anyone tell me if they know what the inspection process is for the corrosion on the truck frame. I took my 1998 Toyota truck in for inspection yesterday and the mechanic at dealership did a visual inspection and passed it. They wanted to coat the frame and give me a rental car and I said no I needed to do more research first. I am a level II NDT in the aerospace world and I know a little about corrosion on metal. I went home and called another dealer in the area and the parts manager told me the inspection process should be done with a hammer if there is no visual holes present. The mechanic at the dealership I took my truck to only inspected it visually and said it passed due to there were not any holes in the frame. The entire frame is corroded. I cant believe Toytota is passing these frames that look like this. We have owned every Toyota made and my husband and I purchased this truck new. I want to hear from you and tell me about your experiences.
  • tcincytcincy Posts: 28
    I had my '99 Tacoma and my brother had his '98 Tacoma both inspected.
    The Service Mgr. of Kerry Toyota, Covington, Ky., stated one of two things must be present to be eligible for buyback:

1. Any hole - even a pin - sized hole, anywhere through the frame;
    2. A substantial amount of "surface" rust on the frame.

They said all Tacomas would be given a 15-yr. retroactive warranty on frame, meaning, a '98 would be extended to 2013. So according to that, you have another 2 years to let the frame experience more rust.

I don't know about the coating on top of rust already there. I would take it to another dealer and not say anything about having been to the first one.

Hope this helps.
  • I have to agree with the other post with only one exception, every time you take the truck to a dealer to have any kind of work/inspection it shows up at Toyota with that vin#. You can check this out by going to this site https://auth2.toyota.com/owners and register as the owner with that vin#. I registered on that site after I bought mine and could see everything that was done to my truck from the previous owner. When I took my 03 in for the rust inspection, they checked it out and did the rust/corrosion treatment and now I have it covered for anymore corrosion until 2018. I just purchased this vehicle a month ago from a private out of state owner. I would also have you're husband crawl under the truck and start tapping lightly with a hammer and check it out for him self. Also check this website http://tacoma-upgrade.com Good Luck
    Sounds like a know brainer, let Toyota put the new frame on, It's like having a new truck at no cost to you.
    This totally weird, I have never heard of any arbitrary date set for reparing this rust problem. In fact your the only one that I heard of that had any problems with Toyota at all either buying back or reframiong their Tacomas. Call them back and tell them that your going to sue their A**es off if your when your out on the road and your wheels fall off.
    OMG! Don't worry about the process, tell them to buy it back for 150% of KBB excellent value like they are every other 1999 and earlier Tacoma.
  • I own a 95 tacoma. Am I still eligible for the recall? Where can I find out other information on recalls for the 95 tacoma. I am the 3rd owner. Does that matter at all?
  • Hello, Check with your local Toyota Dealership you may still be covered.
    Not a recall. As far as I know they're still buying them back at 150% of KBB"Excellent value". Doesn't matter if your the third, fourth or fifth owner!