Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• I hate to tell you this otto8. I found out the company that supplies frames for Toyota's trucks and it's Dana Corporation. I believe its main office is somewhere in Ohio. :lemon:
  • How do you post a pic here?
  • You have to put your photo on a hosting site and then post the link to that photo here.
  • ern3ern3 Posts: 2
    I am in the process of turning in my 99 tacoma because of the frame. But, as I am looking at other vehicles, I don't see any I want to own. Does any one know if the Toyota frame problem has been fixed? If I buy a 2007 or 2008 tacoma, will I eventually have the same problem????
  • otto8otto8 Posts: 116
    yEA .......M ade by Dana in mexico along with the beds, springs and
    a host of other parts. 45% or LESS US and Canadian part contents.
    tundra too!

Anyhoo......With toyotas NEW tacoma plant in BC MEXICO you
    wouldn't want to guess what will happen down the road?

SHAFTA hard at work to benefit the USA and Canada!
  • Well, I hope the HELL toyota has some quality control measures going on down there. This is the best way to lose customers.....Ask the BIG 3. They seem to have learned that it's not a good idea to keep screwing your customers. Kudos to the big 3 for trying. Lets hope toyota does the same. At least they have stepped up for this problem. Now I am worried about the 2001 s and above.
  • releaserelease Posts: 8
    Can someone tell me definitively whether or not they allow you to leave with your truck if it fails inspection. Most of the posts here imply that if it fails they cease it on the spot but when I went to toyota, the person I spoke with said he thought that it was my choice whether or not they kept it. also, does anyone who has gotten an offer letter know which of the KBB prices they were offered 150% of?
  • Mine failed, but not so bad that I couldn't drive it. You can drive it. Now, if they deem it too bad (cracked frame, etc.) then they will keep it. Too Unsafe. As far a KBB, I am still waiting.
  • tlampstlamps Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Tacoma with some heavy rust on the frame. I had my truck inspected last week at a local service shop and the mechanic told me about the frame problems and that Toyota may buy it back. I don't really want to lose my truck, but I don't want it falling apart driving down the road. My 2000 only has $61k miles on it.
    I have an appointment with the dealer on Thursday, when I called the service tech said this was a new process and he was not sure how it worked? This will be interesting.
  • releaserelease Posts: 8
    Scheduled my appointment today. The woman at the desk told me that I can keep the truck even if it fails and the KBB price that she said is quoted is the "retail" which is the highest of the 3 prices. we'll see.
  • pdavepdave Posts: 1
    I wouldn't recommend buying another Toyota. If you check around on the Internet, there are newer Toyotas with frame rust problems. Toyota's frame is a "box" frame which means water gets trapped in the frame during the winter causing rust, especially if you live in an area where salt is used for snow. The US "big three" trucks use an "open frame" and water can't get trapped inside.
  • I just took mine in to the dealer during my lunch. It took me 2 weeks to get the appointment. They allowed me to take my truck (98 Tacoma 4X4 Extracab, 100,000 miles, Northern New England) home since they deemed it safe to drive (1 hole, low in the frame). The service deprtment has started "the process" and I should here from Toyota within 1-2 weeks. I am hoping they will buy it back. I am sure the resale value on these has dropped significantly. Has anyone heard of Toyota fixing the frame and not offering the buyback? Thats what I am afraid of.

I know of from 5-7 trucks that have been taken back by Toyota (3 of these trucks belong to co-workers), most similar stories (150% of KBB retail/excellent, sometimes they confiscate the truck and sometimes they don't. When they confiscate it they offer a rental car. The process takes about a month.
  • I received a message from ISB (I am guessing a company that is taking care of this for Toyota) that I need to fax them a copy of the registration for my Tacoma.
    I'll keep you posted as things progress.

:D
  • 71pro71pro Posts: 2
    I work for a dealer and I have to say TOYOTA has definatly stepped up for this problem they are in fact paying 150% of Kelly Blue book Excellant condition any on can find this info at kbb.com and enter all the info about your truck and the milage and its the highest value. And yes most of the trucks we have seen we have kept do to the extent of the frame rot and the fact that if these trucks are hit they ARE going to fold up. so for the protection of the customer we/toyota is paying for the rentals. My dealer unfortunatly is booking a month out to perform the inspections do to the paper work involved after the customer has left in there truck or rental. and yes even if its a small hole we are still reporting it and I believe toyota is buying them back because it will only get worse. this is not a RECALL because not every truck is involved but may be in the next few years thats why its a Warrenty extension for 15 years from the date of first use of the vehicle..
  • Ok, let me get this straight...If my truck is worth kkb price of 5730.00, then I am assuming that my truck will go for 8595.00. Am I doing that right? :confuse:
  • So, say I do get a deal from Toyota. Should I buy another one? I have herd of 2001s and up having the same problems. Do these trucks get bought back in a few years also. This really SUCKS.
  • mttoptvmttoptv Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Tacoma with 155,000 miles. I went for a regular inspection on march 28th and was told it would not pass inspection. On April 1st I took the offer to buy a new 2008 tacoma. i was told in 2-3 weeks I would be getting an offer on my old truck. I got the offer today for $12,975.00. it said in the offer letter I will be getting payment in 7- 10 days. when I brought the new truck I received a $1000.00 rebate on the spot. I will also be getting a $1000.00 rebate because I brought a new truck. I brought my 1999 tacoma for $20,000. new august of 1999. this whole deal seems like I bought a lottery ticket. to get a brand new truck for $7000.00 seems unreal. The truck I got is a tacoma 4x4 access cab standard 4 cylinder. i have no complaints. my ex-wife had the same truck I had and hers pass the inspection (sorry about that)
  • Ok Folks it has taken me 2 weeks, but I have CONFIRMED with TOYOTA CORP< 2 local Dealers and ISG (Impartial Services Group, LLC ) who will be the " third party" coordinating the vehicle transfers.

1. ALL Tacoma's will be considered in EXCELLENT Condition.
    2. All Tacoma's will valued using KBB RETAIL VALUE
    3. MILEAGE IS Considered :confuse:
    4. ONLY Manufacturer options will be considered in the "VALUE", so all the extra tonneau covers, bed liners running boards etc you installed after market, will not be considered to increase the value.
    5. ISG (Impartial Services Group, LLC based out of Texas, they have Independent Contractors that work for them, so if your Transfer Rep/liaison seems like an idiot COMPLAIN, they only get paid when they complete an assignment and that assignment is YOU! ) ISG will be the liaison between you and Toyota. ISG will
    assist in paying off any Liens you may have on your Truck.
    6. Once all the paperwork is completed, approx 3-5 days, you should receive an offer letter from Toyota in the mail within 10 days, the offer $$$ is NON NEGOTIABLE, it is what it is! I was told specifically there is no negotiating. :mad:
    7. If it should take more than 30 days, you may request more time on your "loaner vehicle" at Toyotas expense.
    8. The frame must be perforated, meaning have "actual holes". IF it does not Dealers will NOT necessarily give you anything in writing that you " passed the frame rot test". Your VIN will be added into the Toyota data base. I suggest you detail as much as you can when you go for the inspection, names, dates time etc and keep in a safe place, as you will be warranteed 15 years from the day of inspection, and probably will eventually qualify for the buy-back program at some future date. :(
  • On some of the other forms it has been reported that ISB has been dragging their feet. In less than 2 weeks my truck has lost 110.00 in value. Make sure that you print out the KBB price when you do the search. Some people have lost big $$$ as some of this goes on for weeks. Always something. :mad:

Don't take "NO" for an answer if they hassle you about this. I am waiting and you can be dam sure I will bring this up. My dealer never sent in my reg. and I had to fax it to ISB. I am still waiting and its been already 2 weeks. :mad: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    I have a 97 Taco that goes into the dealer at 1030 this morning for a frame inspection. I'm hoping it fails. I have my eye on a nice double cab 4x4 in race track blue.