Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• There is a pretty disgusting AP article that talks about all the money Toyota saved by stalling and weaseling with the Feds regarding a lengthy list of major problems with their vehicles. The frame rust issue is mentioned, along with floor mats, unintended acceleration, etc. I have driven nothing but Toyota trucks for something like 25 years, but now I wonder if the company deserves such loyalty.
  • My 98 Tacoma ext cab 4x4 with 115K is on its way down the road. Brought it in for the 3rd time in 18 months, Toyota finally put a whole the size of a 50 cent piece in the passenger side rear, by the front spring mount. The whole frame is weak, they did dent it in many spots though.

In my estimation, the buyback and getting a new truck are two separate deals. The local Toyota dealer seems to think they are one and the same. Lowest price on a new Taco was 1000 under sticker, no loyalty or any other discounts. Granted I got 1.5 KBB Retail (11,100), but I should be getting ready for the next 100K, not spending 28,800 for a new one. They also assumed I didn't want a rental car and said my vehicle was "safe to drive". On the bright side, it helped with the decision that I won't be buying another Toyota product, as this mentality is the same as what got them in trouble.

Thinking that if I am spending 28K on a new Tacoma, might as well get a new FULL SIZE GM, Ford, Dodge or Nissan instead. Less money, nearly the same MPG and none of the bad vibes from Toyota.

My truck was bulletproof, although I am thinking that it was indeed a better vehicle when it was new than the new 2010's are now.......

Experience with the buyback was good, inspected last Wednesday, offer and acceptance Thursday, phone call on Sunday, check will be in my hand on Saturday, a little over a week.

Best of luck with everyone's Frame Rot Issues, I don't think I am going to walk away from Toyota, I am going to run away....Not cause of the recalls, but because they are overpriced and not willing to deal in the least.

Jake
  • I'm quite skeptical about this rustproofing "fix". I just received my letter here in Mass to bring my truck in by the end of October to have the rustproofing applied. Apparently Mass finally gave them permission to do the coating.

Does anyone have any information on what they do exactly? Do they actually spray this rustproofing inside the boxed section of frame, as that's where the problem is, as the frame is rusting from the inside out? If they are spraying the inside the enclosed box section of the frame, how are they getting those loose rust flakes out that are built up on the bottom of the boxed section? Do they give the frame a thorough cleaning before applying the coating or do they just encapsulate the salt soaked rust and rust flakes? I'm trying to figure out how much frame prep I need to do before getting this coating, as let's face it, noone cares more about my frame than the guy who owns it. Plus Toyota has alot on their plate going well into the forseeable future. I'm wondering if I should plan on them skimping on frame prep.

This thick coating that they are spraying on the frame, won't that plug the weep holes in the bottom of the frame? My thought is this is just another not well thought out "fix" from Toyota. What I think is going to happen is the inside of the boxed section of frame won't get coated properly due to poor accessibility, salt and water will get in there, nothing will drain properly because the weep holes are plugged by the thick coating, so the interior of the boxed section will always contain moisture. It's common sense that this weep hole plugging coating will just make matters worse. But unfortunately, I have to have my frame coated to qualify for the 15 year extended warranty. I'd just as soon do what I have been doing all along, meaning cleaning and painting the frame each spring, trying to keep the oxygen away from it.
  • 2002 Tacoma with 90,000 miles on it...

A photo is worth a thousand words....

Photobucket
  • Wow, your 2002 was much worse than my 98 which they bought back over the weekend!!!! And the owner of the dealer said that they fixed it in 2000 when I asked about what was different in the new trucks. I knew they were replacing frames on those trucks.

My current problem is what to buy next? I originally wanted another Tacoma, and was planning on new, but they were not giving me anything extra for buying another one, especially with the difficulties they are having.

I have to wonder, what did they do different on the 2005+ Tacoma that will keep me from having the same problem again? Good luck with your frame rust ventures!!
    Jake
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    Please keep inserted photos to 640 pixels wide - the page structure of the forums is such that it will not realign to accommodate oversize pictures.

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• mykidosmykidos Posts: 2
    I'm looking at purchasing a 1999 Tocoma PreRunner(120,000 miles). Now I'm reading all these issues about the frames rusting. My question is IF I buy it and there are rust issues will they replace the frame if I'm not the original owner? Any HELP is appreciated.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    edited March 2010
    are you kidding me? even if they pay me, I would not risk owning a vehicle with potential rust issue...
  • "I'm looking at purchasing a 1999 Tocoma PreRunner(120,000 miles). Now I'm reading all these issues about the frames rusting. My question is IF I buy it and there are rust issues will they replace the frame if I'm not the original owner? Any HELP"

Yes, Toyota does cover the frame for 15 years whether or not you're
    the original owner. But you still might not be happy with the coverage.

I'm in the process of trying to get my frame done. The dealer is waiting
    on Toyota to ship my frame now. Its been 9 days & counting. They will
    NOT cover the loss of my trailer hitch!
  • mykidosmykidos Posts: 2
    That's kinda my thought at this point, but I'm having it check out anyway tomorrow and see what my mechanic says.
    A 1999 Tacoma would not get its frame replaced - that only applies to 2001-2004 models. The 1999 would be repurchased and scrapped, and as an owner after the program was announced, you would only be entitled to a repurchase price equal to what you paid for the truck. This was done to keep people from buying Tacomas from unsuspecting owners and rolling them over for the cash... those who own 1995-2000 trucks at the time the program was announced are entitled to 15 x the KBB Excellent value of the truck.

• kyle119kyle119 Posts: 1
    bruce41 - How bad was your frame? I just discovered my 2001 Tacoma frame has 2 fist size holes in it. I took it straight to the dealer and they took pictures and went through all the paperwork and sent it on up to Toyota to make a decision. They put me back in the truck until they heard something from Toyota. Did they offer you both a frame replacement or a buy back? I really hope they offer a buyback.
  • guzziv8guzziv8 Posts: 3
    Very informative site, thank you in advance to anyone with info. I bought a 2000 Tacoma Xcab in Jan of 2009 from a KIA dealership which was sold as a certified used vehicle so I was clearly not buying to take advantage of the buyback. In fact I was not aware of any such problems. The truck had 36,000 miles on it and was in excellent condition. Fast forward a year and 2 months and the crossmembers are almost completely rotted off and there are quite a large number of rot spots on the frame. This frame appeared in excellent condition when I purchased it. It's going in on Mon for an inspection but I gather the best I can hope for is a purchase price buyout? Which KBB price is used if it's used? Retail, Private Sale or Trade in? The one good thing is I think I overpayed for the truck. I really thought it would last me 200,000 miles.
  • doubleusndoubleusn Posts: 20
    After owning 3 Tacomas in a row, I just sold my 09 TRD DCab.

1998 4x4 V6 SR5 XCab = Blew both rear axle seals twice.
    2002 4x4 V6 SR5 DCab = Axle seals, timing belt went early, frame replacement.
    2009 4x4 V6 TRD DCab = Build quality not what it use to be, tranny issue, rear leafs, and now Toyota's many recalls.

In the end I think I gave it the 'old college try' but Toyota's quality is not what it use to be. In the old days the bed would rot out, but everything else was bulletproof. The $$ for these is no longer justified given the ever slipping quality, thus so many other vehicles are to know be considered.

Toyota got too big too fast and quality and value slipped terribly.

Cheers
    -wsn
    As an owner after the program was announced (March 2008), all you will get is what you paid for it... make sure you have the original purchase receipt. The 1.5x KBB-Excellent offer is only for those who owned the truck when the program was announced.

• Well I got my rusted frame replacement operation
    done @ the Toyota dealership. Just as I thought,
    there are plenty of things they didn't get right or
    do very well. You just can't tear apart a truck like
    that & have it as good factory built.

So the week I got mine back, I sold it. I understand
    some folks think owning a rebuilt is a great thing -
    and others like me want nothing to do with it.

I wish everyone the best with this issue. :sick:
  • pbfj2010pbfj2010 Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Anyone contacted TOYOTA with a 99 that passed test and still got Toyota to buy back. My frame rot is significant compared to other 99's but no holes. Utah-CO truck. I'm going to take it into other dealers for second and 3rd opinions and find out what they know.
    My angle is why should I risk my family in a truck with an issue that may come up down the road and what if I'm too late in inspecting it.
  • I HAVE A 98 TACO WITH 80 K MILES MINE PASSED RUST INSPECTION ABOUT ONE YEAR AGO BUT NOW I AM SEEING RUST BUT ITS NOT THROUGH ( NO HOLES) YET IT WAS ALLWAYS IN THE GARAGE NOW IT OUT SIDE WHY BECAUSE I PUT MY WIFES LEXUS IN THE GARAGE THE LAST FEW YEARS THEY GAVE ME A EXTENTED 10 YEARS MORE ON THE FRAME.I ALL SO HAVE A SOFT WARE PROBLEM WITH THE LEXUS ES TRANSMISSION SOFT WARE THE SHIFTING IS CRAZY ..BEEN COMPLANING SINCE IT WAS NEW.THEY ARE NOT PURSUITING PERFECTION ON THERE LEXUS OR TOYOTA PRODUCTS..I KEEP TELLING THEM IT SOFE WARE THEY KEEP TELLING ME ITS DRIVE BY WIRE.. AND THATS THE NATURE OF THE BEAST LIVE WITH IT..I DID SEARCH AND GUESS WHAT THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF DRIVERS COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS MODEL TRANSMISSION SHIFTING WE MUST ALL BE NUT AND CRAZY IN THERE EYES..NOW THERE PAYING WITH THE RUNAWAY BRAKE PROBLEM..ALSO ( DRIVE BY WIRE).HAY THEY SOLD MORE VEHICLES THAN ANY OF THE BIG THREE THIS LAST QUARTER...JUST LOOK UP( LEXUS ES330 TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS)
  • guzziv8guzziv8 Posts: 3
    "As an owner after the program was announced (March 2008), all you will get is what you paid for it... make sure you have the original purchase receipt. The 1.5x KBB-Excellent offer is only for those who owned the truck when the program was announced." ...... As it turns out this is not true, at least in my case. My truck failed the test and I just received my offer and it's 1.5x KBB value. I have owned it 1 year and 4 months. The dealership manager said there are safeguards in place to prevent people trying to take advantage of the program but he did not go into detail. The representative I was assigned was very nice and it has gone smoothly so far. Sad to see my truck go and I am going to look at Toyota Tacomas mainly because of how this experience has gone.
    That's certainly counter to what we have been told previously... the only scenario that would make sense is if the owner at the time the program was announced had the truck inspected and it was cleared by Toyota to stay on the road. By any chance, did you have a Carfax report on the truck when you purchased it? That mighyt show if the truck had been inspected.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host.