Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• I picked up my Tacoma last week. It is perfect. No lean and rides perfectly. Although the dealer did try to get me to buy a $414 muffler which was not needed. I got the truck inspected the next day. But, overall my truck is back and should provide additional years of service. Aside from the frame, I have not had a single problem.
    I did write Toyota USA president a letter,but, to date. I have not received a reply.
  • After getting my 02 Tacoma back in August the new frame is bent. Two body shops verified the bent frame. The dealership still giving me the run around on getting a second new frame.
    I have lost all respect for the toyota brand.
  • I dropped off my 2001 Tacoma at Toyota of Runnemede for frame inspection on Friday morning, December 18. I was told the inspection and application of the corrosion-resistant treatment would be a 2 day service.

I asked about a loaner and was told that if I had full coverage on my truck, they would be able to provide a loaner at no charge, so far so good.

I got a call at approximately 4 PM from the service agent telling me to go ahead and hold on to the loaner as my truck had perforations in the frame. I was surprised...my truck is in very good to excellent condition. He informed me that they would be submitting pictures of my truck's frame to Toyota along with my proof of ownership, VIN and other pertinent information.

I asked the service agent what the next course of action was. He told me that once they submitted all my information to Toyota they would wait for authorization to replace the frame. I expressed concern but was told this was a good thing, the truck would be like new and they should have authorization by Wednesday the 22nd.

I began doing research online and stumbled upon this forum...lots of good information. I read every post on all 104 pages, that should give you some indication of my level of concern. I now feel better informed and what I can (should) expect from my dealer...thanks to all of you.

Well today is the 22nd and I did not hear from the service agent at Toyota of Runnemede. I am off on Friday (Christmas Eve), I intend to pay them a visit and hopefully get some more information...I'll keep you posted.
  • Good luck. I have a 2001 Prerunner with 98,000 miles that they swapped out the frame back in May and it took 2 weeks once they received the frame to install. While it is true that now I have a new frame along with all the brake lines, bolts and other hardware I am beginning to feel other problems may be lurking. My trans stated slipping a couple months back and now my check engine light just went on. I am not a happy camper at this point. I wish they would have taken the money it was going to cost to swap the frame (that can't be cheap), give me a loaner for 2 weeks, pay me blue book value and just give me a good deal on a new truck. Now I have a 10 year old truck that, I feel, is starting to fall apart. My feelings for Toyota have definately soured.
  • I'm with you...my 01 Tacoma had the frame replaced back in the summer. They had it for 1 month in which they placed me in a loaner. My truck had 112k miles and I would had preferred cash or a nice deal on a Tacoma. Toyota never approached me with either option. I didn't feel too good about everything. I sold the truck and I don't miss it at all. Not sure if I would buy another Tacoma, I would hate to go through this all over again.
  • ratb33ratb33 Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Unfortunately, when this recall first took place the dealer I went to to check out my 1995 4WD Tacoma told me it was a lifetime warranty or there was no deadline and that is the way I took it. I just recently was about to purchase new tires and thought I would get my frame checked just in case. Sure enough at the right rear spring shackle there was complete deteriation. I then went to a different local Toyota dealer to tell them about the problem and this is where I found out my truck had 15 years for the first driver. That dealer did a check and I expired last July/August. I sent a complaint into Toyota and they promptly answered me, but basically threw it on the original dealer who said "lifetime warranty" or "no deadline." So, now I'm debating on fighting this as I've been told the truck is useless. Toyota doesn't want to take responsibility and I have free attorneys at my disposal through my work. I moved so frequently, that if they even tried to send me a letter about the recall it probably went to an old address. Makes me sick, because I always said that I would always own a Toyota truck, but now I doubt that I do after this. It's not like the frame just started rusting, it propably would not have passed an inspection 2 years ago...
  • I own a 04 tacoma sr5 trd ext cab. I take very good care of my vehicles and I have always been impressed with Toyota's reliability, durability, and gas economy. I heard about the frame issues and looked over my frame every oil change. During last fall (oct '10) I was looking the frame over and noticed around my leaf spring brackets that rust was showing. Then all along my welds on the frame. So I immediately took it to the Toyota Dealer (Andy's Toyota, Portsmouth, Ohio). They looked it over and said, it was the best frame they had seen. All they wanted to do was some prevenative maintenance. So they gave me a corolla loaner and a 5 days later I had a repainted and treated frame. They sprayed some type of gell inside of the frame and sent me on my way. It's now winter (feb '11) and the paint is peeling off in certain places. I have not seen any rust yet but I'm keeping a close eye.
    Has anyone got a buy back on a 04 Tacoma?
    What are my options from here?
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    Because the frame for your truck is still in production as a repair/replacement component, you will not get a buy-back offer. Once your truck develops full rust perforation (aka, a hole) in the frame, your truck will be eligible for frame replacement.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• After a runaround from a dealership in Virgina, and move across the country to Colorado, finally getting a new frame installed on my 02 Tacoma this week. To my surprise, I get a call this morning telling me I'm looking at $850 worth of parts which are rusted to the old frame and can't be moved over, and not covered in the grab bag of what Toyota is offers along with the new frame. Free frame replacement my butt! Knew there was going to be a catch in here somewhere...

Anyone here run into the same problem and been able to convince Toyota to pay for parts that wouldn't have had to have been replaced had the frame-swap never had to have been done?

An added nice touch to this story is that the dealership I'm at now (Colorado) showed me that there was no perforation on my frame until a guy with a hammer at the first dealership (in Virginia) whacked a hole in it in checking for perforation! The truck has run great its whole life (~180 K), but this fiasco has soured me on Toyota and its ability to cohesively manage a recall.
  • kps2kps2 Posts: 2
    Same deal for me on an 02 Tacoma frame I had replaced in 2009. I had abotu $700 worth of items I had to pay for that weren't covered. I got no where with them. I still have my truck as a second vehicle, but I've moved on from Toyota. Bought a land rover. Yeah..I know about Land Rovers....but at least Land Rover doesn't claim to be top quality!
  • I had the same issue, Toyota dealer wanted me to pay over $800 in parts. I was able to pay only half after calling Toyota Corp. They were willing to help in covering the remaining balance. After getting my frame replaced, I decided to sell the truck after 6 months.
  • tcincytcincy Posts: 28
    If anything is completely rusted through, rendering the Toyota useless, and they give you no assistance, then I would use the help of a free attorney at work.
    They've "gone the distance" for thousands of owners who had negligible rust on the frame, and tens or hundreds of thousands of owners who have the acceleration recall done.

"Tacoma told me it was a lifetime warranty or there was no deadline and that is the way I took it.

If they aren't willing to follow up on what they told you then its just another case of "Talk is cheap" and "Actions speak louder than words".
  • I just wanted to provide the final update on my vehicle, 2001 Tacoma 4X4 extended cab.

I received a call on Wednesday, February 9th from the Service Manager at Toyota of Runnemede telling me that my frame was in and the work would begin the next day.

I went online that night to shop for replacement shocks and struts to go along with the new leaf springs and lower control arms that Toyota was supplying with the new frame. I settled on a set of the KYB gas-adjust monotubes from Tire Rack at cost of $213 for the set.

Shocks arrived Feb 11, Friday morning, I delivered them to the dealer that afternoon. I was told it would take 24 hours to do the swap but I was still shocked to see the mechanic had about half the work completed.

Mechanic recommended I replace my drive belts because of dry rot, the gas tank strap locking pin because of rust and the O2 sensor gasket and bolts also because of rust. I approved the additional parts and labor which came to $315.21.

The truck was ready for pick up on Monday, February 14. I picked it up the next day. I must say that I am very pleased with the result. The truck is tight, doesn't make the crashing sounds over bumps that it used to and also handles 100% better than before. My total cash outlay was a little over $528 and I feel that it was money well spent. All the items replaced that were not included in the frame replacement were going to need replacing anyway, so I have trouble understanding other posts in this forum complaining about the additional costs over the frame replacement.

I wish you all the best of luck with your frame swap and hope you are as pleased with the end result as I am. My truck has 113,000 miles on it now and I feel like I will hold onto it for an additional 113,000.

Peace
  • gld375gld375 Posts: 1
    My 2000 Tacoma just failed the frame inspection and i was told Toyota is replacing these as well. Has anyone recently had a 2000 done?
  • plzen28plzen28 Posts: 1
    hi, dropped my 01 Tacoma at dealer service in NJ, waiting for Toyota answer how they want to deal with this, have the same problem with rusted frame around the rear leaf spring mount, the mount is already broken off the frame, my question is, they checked my VIN and it's not on the list for recall, I'm i going to get the new frame too? is everyone hear with the Tacoma on the recall list? they acting like there is nothing they can do for me without Toyota's decision. please advice
  • naptownbluenaptownblue Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Glad I stumbled across this info - I never received a letter from Toyota. I took it to the dealer today, my VIN matches the recall range, they told me to bring it back tomorrow and they'll set me up with a rental and get the buy-back process going. Check out these pics - '99 Tacoma driven on the salty streets of Indy for the past 13 years:

Based on KBB "excellent" condition and the 1.5x payback, I'm looking at 10-11k for this 'ole Tacoma I've been driving since 1998. Very impressed with Toyota!
  • framerotframerot Posts: 4
    My 03 was sprayed last summer when it passed the Hammer Test. Just looked under it and the stuff is falling off in places that had heavy rust. Anyone else seeing this? Will get a pic up as soon as I can.
    edited April 2011
    Pic taken today and was applied 6 months ago

link title
    Can someone tell me how to post pics on here, seem to be having trouble????