Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• Talk directly to your local Toyota Service Dept. You can find the actual chart used by Toyota Techs online. Just do some research and you will find lots of information. Good luck.
  • Also,Is there any requirement as to how long you have to own it.I am supposed to be contacted in the morning about having my truck looked at but was just wondering.I bought the truck a couple months ago.
  • cassbcassb Posts: 8
    "I was going to replace the brakes on my 99 tacoma today and noticed that my frame is rusted through(about 6 inches long and 2 inches wide)on the boxed part beside of the gas tank.Does this qualify for a buy back or replacement of my frame. "

Yes, that was the same place my own truck was rusted through. They should buy it back from you.
  • You should be good with the '99 Tacoma being bought back. They are supposedly honoring the warranty extension on trucks that fall under 15 years from their original sale date, so 2012-1999 = 13 years. Toyota also told me that as long as the truck is currently registered and you have the title in your name, there is no problem with how long (or how short) you have owned the truck for.

The number to call is 800-331-4331. Get them to open a case for you. Have your VIN# handy. They should ask you where you want to take the truck for the inspection, and the rest should be smooth. I had a totally smooth transaction just last month on my 2000 Tacoma. They gave me a loaner for almost 30 days. As soon as you turn the title over to them, they will want the loaner back.

Don't take no for an answer. It's worth pursuing for sure. A 1999 Tacoma will be a buy-back, not a frame replacement. Good luck and let us know how you do. Dave
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    They wouldn't replace the frame, there are no frames available for the 1999 and before Tacomas. They only replace the 2000 to 2004 Tacoma frames as these frames are still being made.
  • drinkthisdrinkthis Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    1995-1999 are buybacks.
    Details of my story: Went to dealer for oil change of 97 Taco reg cab manual 4x4 in Aug 2011. They inspected frame and were able to perforate with a hammer and punch while on a lift (note: i had been to same dealer in 09 and it passed then). They said it rusts from inside of frame due to poor inner coating and weak spot isn't detected until it pushes through. I was told it's unsafe to drive but they let me drive it home anyway after signing off on the dealer inspection. They said i could keep it until exactly 15 years after the first in service date which in my case would be July 14, 2012. I turned it in last month and the dealership provided a free loaner (my insurance) until I received a check. When i turned in the vehicle i was called within a week by an IBG rep (buyback contractor) who had me email or fax a copy of title, lien release if any. After the title was found to be clean and not salvaged (a disqualifier for the program) they offered $8700 (= 1.5x blubook for excellent condition, but happens to be exactly what i paid 12 years ago!) and gave three days to sign the acceptance form provided. Then a field agent called within a week to schedule the sign off etc. The agent said that Toyota has become picky lately and wants all original equipment to be present, for example, they let me take my brand new tires off and put on junk tires but the alloy rims had to stay. Also, any damage is ok as long as the car is drivable and whole and the title is clean. If any original equipment is missing even a CD player they will discount the offer and delay the process unless it's reported up front. Once everything is in order, the field agents are given about a week or so to close the deal or they have to send the paperwork and check back to HQ and you have to start the process over again.
    I just collected my check.
  • I have a 02 Tacoma. I really love my truck, and up till a couple of days ago I loved Toyota in general. I noticed that my frame has developed a rust hole the size of a golf ball on the pass side above the rear spring hanger. I have had many friends who have had their entire frame replaced due to this, but when I called my local Toyota dealer they told me that the deadline was in December. They also said that since I did not have the frame sprayed with some kind of special coating that I was just [non-permissible content removed] out of luck, but if I would have had this done prior to the rust they would have replaced the frame. The problem is that I have only owned this Tacoma for about 6 months and I never received any kind of notice or anything telling me about this. I have contacted Toyota support and they told me the same thing, too bad. Everyone I have talked to has said that their issue was resolved. I plan to keep calling Toyota and voicing my opinion that this is raw deal. I have alwaysed bragged on Toyota in the past but never again. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions or comments please let me know. Thanks in advance.
  • oxi04oxi04 Posts: 10
    I own an 04 Taco, bought new in Sept 04. I just received a letter on 12/31/12 and it said they were just sending letters on 01-04 Tacos( in NY state). Have a friend who also bought an 04 new and he got a letter in Mid January. don't know what state you are in but my letter said if I had sold the veh I could contact Toyota and they would update their records and try to find the new owner, or something like that. Stick with it, keep calling Toyota until you get someone who actually knows the whole story.
  • wg8170wg8170 Posts: 1
    Is there any way you could provide me a copy of of that letter? I really need to get my frame inspected, but I have heard the deadline was Dec. 31, 2011. I would love to have something from Toyota in hand when I talk to the dealership.
  • eallmaneallman Posts: 16
    I do not see a way to post or attach documents, nor a way to private message you. I found the following documents online:

Frame Warranty Policy
    Letter to Owners
    Frame Recall Notice to Dealers
    Frame Inspection Chart

I found all of this on the Internet. Just be specific with your search engine.

Good luck.
  • dennisnydennisny Posts: 12
    When my mechanic told me I had perforation, I called Toyota and Toyota set up an appointment with a dealer of my choice. That happened to my 1999 Tacoma, in September of 2011. Toyota bought my truck back, and just a few weeks ago I received the letter stating that the warranty extension was in place until March 2012 (I no longer have the letter). If you know that you have rust perforation, you may want to try calling Toyota before going to a dealer. It worked for me. Remember this is not a recall. Good Luck.
  • jlindbergjlindberg Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Hi folks. Hoping you may be able to provide some helpful info. I own a 2001 Toyota Tacoma with 200,000 miles on it (purchased in Minnesota). I recently moved to Germany for the US Army and, when faced with German vehicle inspection, found that the frame of my truck is rusted to the point that you can poke holes in it. I know that there was a recall notice on this and I've read some of the experiences other folks have had. I hadn't been aware of the recall (I move a lot because of my job and never found out about it). Well, I called Toyota this week and complained about the frame issue. I was told that my vehicle is not covered because I live in Germany now (on a US Army base), even though the car was purchased in the US and resided there for eleven years. I was also told that my truck wasn't covered because I never elected for "rust protection" spray. Does this sound right, or am I getting screwed? If it weren't for the frame issue, the truck is in great shape and could drive another 100,000 miles. I'm not sure what the next step is.

Thanks for any guidance,
    Jamie
  • I agree, talk to Toyota Corporate directly before you try dealing with the dealership. The dealership is just the middle-man for the frame test and loaner car if you are eligible.
  • drinkthisdrinkthis Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    The dealers have been asked by Toyota corporate to cooperate with the process but can be misinformed and do not control this process.

To get info have your vin handy and call the
    Toyota Customer Care 1-888-270-9371
    Mon - Fri 5 am to 6 pm and Sat. 7 am to 4 pm PT.

To open a case call the
    Toyota Customer experience 1-800-331-4331
    They will assign a case number and an agent from their Truck Team will call back with instructions.

I've noticed that Toyota has been reissuing frame inspection deadlines varying by state. Toyota customer care has confirmed that the latest deadline for all the affected states is 12/31/12 (even though there were previous deadline letters for 3/31/10 and 12/31/11 for various states). This deadline issue affects vehicles registered only in the following states: CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, Ml, MN, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI, WV and WashDC.

Also i was told that if you buy a used vehicle to call one of the numbers above to register yourself in the database as the new owner. Also if you are the 2nd owner the warranty transfers without issue but if you are the 3rd owner or above that it requires a phone call. I think this has to do with making sure the title is clean.
  • aj42187aj42187 Posts: 1
    they opted to replace frame for the cost of $12,000?? Did they ask you how much your looking for a buy out?
  • don_ncdon_nc Posts: 6
    Thinking of getting a 03/04 Tacoma in North Carolina (Raleigh to Charlotte more specifically) and curious how severe the rust issue is in this region. Is it only in Northern states that get frequent road salting during winter months ?

Thanks
    Don
  • rustcityrustcity Posts: 4
    I was told I’m out of luck because they put a deadline on the recall 12/31/11. I was never notified!
    I was told they had a deadline on the call back 12/31/11 and I was [non-permissible content removed] out of luck....and there is nothing that they can do. I have a 2003 Tacoma and was never notified. Consider yourself lucky. What state do you live in? I’m in RI
    I have a 2003 and took it in for inspection and exhausted hanging.....Found rust everywhere. spare tire gone, hole in gas tank, hole in the bed, gas tank support arm almost completely gone on one side and frame rust every where. I was told of the same deadline and then told it didn’t matter because mine was not recalled because I DID have the under-coating spray! So I’m also [non-permissible content removed] out of luck! I call but can’t talk to a person.....what number are you calling?
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    Easy on the language, please...

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator