Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prius Owners w/50K - What We Think Now

Comments

• Looks can be and are deceiving. Please check it out again and get back to me. I'm curious what you think then. By the way, I am amazed how small the Prius looks on the outside and yet amazes me on the inside. Also I drive yr round and in N.W. Indiana we get hammered by some serious winter (lake effect) stormes. I find the Prius to track reasonably well in snow & ice. Gas mileage drops to 39-42 mpg's tho. Thats to be expected I think.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,052
    completely impressed with the hdrm & legroom

The smallest Toyota that I have checked out with good rear headroom and legroom is the Sequoia. The new CrewMax is great in back. You can ride in back of the Prius or Camry. I would not ask my adult friends to do that. That is me and I think as much of my passengers comfort as my own. I will not try to save a dollars worth of gas and squeeze a friend into the back seat of an econobox.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Please tell me you did not just call the Camry and Prius "econoboxes?"

Let me know, because if you did mean that, then I have further comments.....
    If my head touches the headliner or knees touch the seat in front it is an ECONOBOX to me. You can make lame arguments, it will not change the facts.

PS
    I almost always have to put the drivers seat as far back as it will go in newer vehicles. I am just over 6 foot. Yes our LS400 is too small in my opinion.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Well, that's just (deleted). So basically, you are saying any car smaller than a fullsize is an econobox? I'm sure LOTS of people agree with THAT statement. (whatever.)

You can call any car you want an econobox, but that does not change the fact that it is not one.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    ...would the Camry be called a small car, let alone an econobox!

I'm under average height for a male, but in my opinion, there's still plenty of room in the Camry's back seat, certainly for two average-sized adults. It will also work for 3.

The Prius has comparable head and legroom to the Camry (my son has an '06), surprisingly enough. It's only in width that it's narrower, but 3 slender adults will still fit. (I realize not too many people are "slender" any more!)
  • I am always amazed when people are critical about hybrids for various reasons but especially interior room. I'll say it again ....Sit in it front and back then tell me what you think not what you guess is the answer. I think the Prius has considerably more room than many cars catagoricaly larger. I've yet to hear someone who has ridden in the back seat not be impressed with both legroom & headroom. Grant you...The seating is not ideal for 5 but 4 is practical unless they're kids then it is 5. By the way..I've heard a few naysayers imply that the Prius is not a great longhaul touring car. Well, my wife and I have done three 3k trips with no complaints. Funny thing is..I like Honda cars but find their seats often are too firm for me.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,813
    "Looks can be and are deceiving. Please check it out again and get back to me. I'm curious what you think then. "

Will do when I'm in the market, which won't be for a couple of years. And if Honda gets CARB diesels approved, I won't be shopping for a Prius...
  • As you pointed out that your height is about the same as mine (just undere 6 ft) I already can tell that you'd be fine in front and/or back of a Prius. As to the Honda/Diesel, I'll be interested too. I've owned about 4 Hondas including the original 2 cylinder 600 series that was as small a car as they come with its' 10" rims. It got a healthly 48 mpgs on a trip to Disneyworld.
    "As you pointed out that your height is about the same as mine (just undere 6 ft) I already can tell that you'd be fine in front and/or back of a Prius."

I think you must be referring to someone else's post, I never posted my height.

But you should consider that some people have long legs, and some people have long torsos. It isn't just the height, it is the height while sitting...
    My wife is only 5' 8" tall. We were looking at SUVs. Her head touched the headliner in the 4Runner. It has 2" more headroom than the Camry and more than the Prius. You cannot expect someone to drive a car with their head touching the roof. We have just about settled on the Sequoia that seems to have enough room for people to drive and ride in it. It has much more headroom than the specs show.
    "We have just about settled on the Sequoia that seems to have enough room for people to drive and ride in it. It has much more headroom than the specs show."

You might want to glance at the Taurus X. It has a lot of usable headroom, even in the 3rd row. It also has command seating like an SUV, but with normal entry - you don't climb up into it. And it will beat the heck out of a Sequioa for MPG.
    I think I saw one. I will check it out. I like the looks. I don't think I will care for an SUV that is not BOF. I want to get a good one before the automakers buckle under to the government. So far the Sequoia 4X4 has what I want in a mature model. I would buy a 2006 Denali if I could find a super clean low mileage certified unit. I do not like what GM has done to the new SUVs. I am surprised the Taurus X gets only 15 MPG in town. That is the same as the much heavier Sequoia.
  • stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    I'm 6'2" and have driven my 2004 Prius without ever hitting the roof. The legroom on the passenger side is sometimes tight but my wife drove us 1,500 miles from Aspen to Custer, SD and I was fine space wise. Got a flat for the first time in any car I've owned. I just replaced all four tires after about 25,000 miles. That was my mistake in waiting. My only real complaint is driving up a long, steep, straight mountain pass. The battery poops out after five minutes and you can't go faster than 65mph (60 if there's deep snow on the road. My Highlander Hybrid does not have that problem. A turbo on the Prius would be the perfect solution.
  • I'm somewhat stymied by the usual naysayers that insist room is lacking in the 2nd Gen. Prius. Pointing out all the pluses I'm surprized that people simply don't go out and take one for a test drive and see why it's such a great car. There's a good deal of room compared to so many other cars. Of course I understand there are many who are over 6'2" tall and some need a vehicle that can tow boats, etc and carry more than 5 people. All I'm saying is that for a large portion of one's daily driving needs the Prius delivers. What's not to like when you fillup less often and go 2-3 times as far on a tank? What's smarter than that? :shades:
    I'm 6'2" and have driven my 2004 Prius without ever hitting the roof.

I sat in a new Prius while they were waxing our new Sequoia. The Prius does have better headroom than the Camry XLE that I also sat in. They both seem very small when compared to the Sequoia. I will take the latter and spend a few bucks more for gas. I got a wonderful discount because of all you folks worried about the price of gas. They are having a hard time selling the big ones and you can get ONE great deal. How about $10k off MSRP on a maxed out limited 4X4 Sequoia. I have not gotten to drive it. The wife put the first 26 miles home. I think she likes the NAV.
  • Seriously..Sounds like a 4X4 I'd buy if I was looking for MORE room & MORE comfort. After 4 plus yrs with the Prius and 66 K miles I feel I've sacrificed little if anything with the Prius My son I just bought a Chrysler Pacifico and I must admit its darn nice. I hope it is reliable unlike some of Chrysler products. Again I'll say ..enjoy your Sequoia if that's your choice. It is a great car!
    The difference between you an me is about 12k miles per year. So I imagine my gas bill will be about the same as yours. My gas last year did not match my water bill here in So. California. My GMC hybrid got about 16 MPG over the 25 months and 12k miles I owned it. If the Sequoia does that well we will be happy as it is much better suited to traveling with another couple. We got the 2nd row captain seats with DVD NAV and rear entertainment. It is pretty nice for a Toyota :shades:
    "I am surprised the Taurus X gets only 15 MPG in town. That is the same as the much heavier Sequoia."

I don't know about the Sequoia, but the MPG forum for the Taurus is reporting about 18 city / 27 Highway, though that may have been for a FWD. A lot depends on the heaviness of foot.

But I didn't realize that you wanted body on frame - the T-Rex doesn't meet that criteria. However I don't think the Government will outlaw BOF - It will be economics that does the job (if it happens).
  • Getting back to the topic of hybrids with serious miles, I thought it might be nice to include a story about a self employed taxi driver with an '05 Prius that has over 235K miles and how it managed 45.5 mpg's. He claimed that passengers often were surprized at the roominess of the car and how smooth the transmission seemed. His one gripe was the interior that showed significant dirt but was easy to wash off for the most part.
  • I'm always surprised that hybrid SUV's fail to get a significant improved milage over conventional SUV's per the additional cost factor of Hybrids. My '04 Prius is closing in on 80K and I'm still amazed that it has been literally a problem free car. Several friends have joined the "bandwagon" and I'm pleased to say, they too are happy buyers also. I've owned over 50 automobiles thru the yrs and the Prius is, without a doubt, the most impressive vehical I've ever come across. I look forward to the 3rd Generation Prius and hope that it will achieve the same quality standards that I've come to expect from Toyota.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Along with railroadjames I too have to confirm that the vehicle has been flawless. Day in and day out it just does what it's supposed to do.

Tires replaced at 50,000 mi exactly
    Tires rotated every 10K ( 7 times ) @ $29 each rotation
    14th oil change just done ( all free )
    Windshield replaced from 2 rocks and a 'deer attack'
    'deer attack ' and 'lady attack' repaired under insurance

Total cost of maintenance/operation through 70000 miles
    4 new tires $380
    7 rotations $200
    Fuel: 70000 mi @ 47.9 mpg = ~1400 gal x $2.50 Avg/gal = ~$3500
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    Surely only six rotations unless you rotated them at 50,000 miles and then scrapped them.
    Good point but since Toyota 'recommends' a 5000 mi interval I did my first at 5000 but then at 10000 swithched to 10K intervals. 10K is about once a quarter for me.
  • I have gone over nearly 53K this week I have an 05 prius I bought used in 06. it had 10K on it then. I have had it about a about a year and a half and have had no major issues with it. I drive 86 miles round trip to go to work daily on the highway and have recently started going 5 miles under the speedlimit. I am averaging from 48 to 50 depending on the weather conditions. I have noticed that in colder weather my milage does go down a bit. I have replaced 1 set of tires and my breaks are still in good shape. I do a lot of coasting whenever I can. I live in Arizona and have taken a long trip to Abilene and Dallas Texas last year and it ran great. Although going uphill to Texas did cut my milage down some with my car fully loaded with stuff I made it up on my way back down to Arizona. It was a comfortable ride all the way. I keep up with the regular maintanince and it still runs like a dream. I'm hopeing to make it last to about 300K.
  • little_pogilittle_pogi Posts: 148
    My 04 have gone past 110k miles. I am averaging 45 mpg which is better than the 43 mpg I was getting when I hit the 60k mark. A major repair was done on my fuel tank. I hit a large rock that ruptured the tank. Thanks to the bladder design of the fuel tank, gasoline did not spill and create a fire hazard. The engine check light did turn on due to the loss of pressure inside the fuel tank. The whole tank needed to be replaced.

I recently check the linings of my brakes. The front brake pad shows a 50% wear and the rear brake shoes showed more significant wear. I estimate that I may need a a brake shoe replacement at the 120K mark.

All rubber components on the car still looks good. Axle and steering boots, brake hoses, suspension bushings, coolant hoses, belts, etc.

The original Goodyear Integrity tires lasted 50K. The Goodyear Assurance I put in might still get me past the 115K miles. One rear shock absorber has some wetness in it. Fluid may be starting to leak slightly. Generally the shocks still in excellent shape.

One concern I have is the ICE timing mechanism. My local dealer says I do not have to replace it. I assume the Prius engine uses a timing chain. Anybody out there can confirm this?
    Yes all Prius', as well as all 4c Toyota's from 2003 onward, use timing chains iso timing belts.

All V6s beginning with the GR family of engines also use chains iso belts
    All the new V8's beginning with the UR family of engines will use chains iso belts.

As of today the only vehicles being made that use timing belts are the 3.3L V6 Solaras, the 3.3L hybrid Highlanders and the 4.7L V8's in the 4R, Sequoia and Tundra's.
  • m2mazda6m2mazda6 Posts: 20
    I have some questions, I keep my cars a long time, just sold our 93 Buick had 114700 miles on it and am looking at the Prius,will be takeing a trip to Fl. once or twice a year from Mi., what kind of expenes can I expect say after 5yrs, how long does the battery go for and what does it cost to replace it.Say after 10yr does it start nickle & dime you. I do take good care of my cars, What are regular maintance expences on this type of car.
    Thanks for your help
  • stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    I have a 2004 since 2004. It's great and I recommend it highly. Great mileage (45-50), no other problems. Watch out for deep snow if you don't have snow tires.
  • You ask alot about, down the road, issues. I can atest to the great satisfaction that the Toyota Prius gives me and it is of the highest accolades. I've owned over 50 cars and rank the Prius as the most dependable, thrifty, and most of all, the most inovative and smart car to come along in yrs. 77K miles and 4 plus yrs of total satisfaction. About the battery....in some ways, time will tell but...with a warrantee of 10yrs and everybody seemingly trouble free with them, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find any complaints. Remember this! Toyota says that even if a problem occurs, only the cell that malfunctions need be replaced. This means that $$ costs are reasonable as opposed to total battery replacement costing approx. $3,200.00. (but going down lately). As to maintanance...Same as any other car for the most part. Brakes seem to last forever.(no kidding) As to 10 plus yrs down the road....I'll let you know when I get there. (and I plan on just that). I've driven from near Chicago to Atlanta Ga (720miles) and fill up once each way. Lastly, I've gone 546 miles on a single tank twice.
    P.S. Prius: Car of The FutureToday!