Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prius Owners w/50K - What We Think Now

Comments

• rick294rick294 Posts: 77
    I understand that the early Priuses (2003 and older) did have some problems here and there. For brokers, check the Yellow Pages under Automobile or Automotive - Brokers. Priuses, right now, are seen as gold-plated. It might pay to put out the money to get it repaired and then sell it. Last year, Priuses were popular, but this year (after gas crossed the $4 line) they are in huge demand. You didn't state what you paid for the car, but whatever it was, it likely would have been that much more this year. My suggestion would be to skip the extended warranty, get it fixed to your satisfaction and sell it. You'll have no problem selling it, I'm sure. Charge enough to get all your money back that you've put into it. Buy another small Toyota product (Echo, Yaris, Corolla) that get good gas mileage and make a deposit and put your name on a new Prius waiting list. You can always step out of the line if you want to. I understand the 2010 Prius is to arrive in January, 2009. Good luck.
  • Thank you very much for your suggestions. I bought the car for $17,000, thinking that the freeway stickers were worth 2K or 3K. Now I owe $14K and the car is not shown as being worth more than about $12K at best, but it has these problems which, until fixed, would make it worth less. At the moment I am bummed, but I am looking at the options and will figure out the best way to go. Thanks again.
  • bubkisbubkis Posts: 10
    Sarahdance,
    My suggestion would be to fix-er up now and sell ASAP if you're uncomfortable with the car. There is no better time to sell a Prius than when Gas prices are around $4/gal. Prius's no matter what yr, have never been in such high demand... Call a dealer and find out how long the wait list is for a new one. Last I checked in our area it was 3-4 months.
  • stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    Get rid of a 2001 Prius. It is vastly inferior to the 2004-2008.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    A reporter with a large financial magazine would like to speak with hybrid owners and their experiences. If you are a hybrid owner, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Wednesday, August 6th.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• So glad to share the good news that my '04 Prius is running well after a 6K trip out west. We hit the Highplains of the Dakotas, the vast mountains of Montana (Bear Tooth was amazing @ 11,000 ft) The Prius handled the climbs like a trooper. Milage was between 44-47mpgs most of the time. We went on to Glacier Nat. Parks and again not a single problem. Lastly, we went thru Bonnaville Salt Flats in Utah and the temps were over 104 degrees. I managed over 520 mile tanks of gas multiple times b/4 the last blip blinked. I TRUST THIS CAR! That's a fact! Your friend that started this site. Railroadjames ;)
  • rick294rick294 Posts: 77
    Groan...I'm sitting here in my cubicle at work being forced to read about someone's wonderful trip. There oughta be a law... :shades:
  • THERE IS......The Law Of Retirement! Gotta Love It! Railroadjames ;)
  • Actually well over 90K miles on the '04 Prius. A few dings and a chipped tail-light lens (compliments of a huge S.U.V.and the usual wear & tear. 2nd set of tires and only an additional "wheel alignment" (very much needed). 2 head light bulbs and a couple of chips on the windshield. Oh! Slightly dirty uphostery (never get beige again). I still think the "blue"' is the best color of choice. Best dang car ever and I've had over 50. Everybody notice how many more there are out there now?
  • t_wrxt_wrx Posts: 3
    I have an '06 with only 31k miles. Excellent car - a few paint chips courtesy of the 5 AM gravel trucks leaking stones onto the road surface. I cut a sidewall on a piece of road debris and replaced all of the tires with 205-60-15 Bridgestone Potenzas - GREAT improvement in ride and handling! Air filter and wipers are the only other changes. Great car.

Gripes: the back-up beeper (why is it on the inside?), having to start the car to open & close windows, overly complex controls (hard to see in bright sunlight, hard to hit the right "touch" spots on bumpy roads or in traffic), headlights are almost impossible to replace if you have big hands ... that's about it.

Hint: ultrabright bulbs will not last in a Prius.

Al in all ... best vehicle I've ever owned for reliability, utility, and economy.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    as in HID and non HID?
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    Gripes: the back-up beeper (why is it on the inside?),

Why don't you just disable it? The instructions to do so are all over the internet.
  • Actually I'm right at 95K and feeling pretty darn happy to own a car that has been the best thing since super glue & duct tape. I have great memories of many cars in my past but I also recall leaky oil pans, blown trannys, poor mileage, power windows that went bad, and blown motors. All of these things and a bunch of annoying quirks long before I had 60 K miles. The Prius should be the poster child for how to engineer, develope, & deliver the goods. There are those who say I'm a bit giddy and that may be true and why not? This is a remarkable car that does it better (overall) than any other car in my past (50 plus cars). Thank you Toyota!
  • I have a Toyota Sienna with 80K miles on it that still runs like new. My 17 year old daughter is driving now so we are going to get another car. She will drive the old van, primarily (sorry) and I will get a new car that I will drive mostly but she will drive occasionally. I need a reliable safe car and will be driving up to three kids to school which is about 30 minutes away. Is the Prius safe enough (it is so small) for teens to be driving and to put other people's children in? Or should I go with the CRV? How does the Prius do in the snow? Do you need snow tires in New England? Thanks so much.
  • My inlaws have an 07 Prius in Colorado. It gets parked at the first snow the car is so bad. I would not drive one in the snow.
  • I have an 04 Prius in Upstate New York and I'd rather drive it in the snow with Blizzaks than a top-heavy, flat-footed 4-wheel drive any day. (But if and when I finally do get stuck due to heavy snow drifts, I'll get a 4WD hybrid Highlander!!). The clearance is a problem, but the electric motor torque is fantastic for slowly pulling yourself out. Nothing beat the continuously variable transmission. AND I CAN TOW TOO! (not covered under warranty anymore).

You'll feel the hit of less traction and slush on your MPG more than a vehicle that doesn't have a fuel-usage display because you see it all the dang time.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Others in CO and MN, NY, N England drive their Prius' all winter long without significant problems. Using snow tires is just common sense. I
  • I've never had a problem with my '04 Prius except I bought a new set of tires at 38k milez. I'll buy another Prius when this one hitz maybe 10 yeerz old.
    I've gotten 51.1 to 51.4 for the 50k; My frenz with Prius's only get ~47 mpg.

When the CA EPA has ethanol put in the gasoline to cut cold weather polution--maybe 10 weeks a year or so, I can always tell 'cause my mileage drops to 46 to 49. (The CA EPA web site says the oil companiez can put up to 10% ethanol in the fuel if they feel like it. The ethanol refinerz must have overproduction with the recession; are they selling it to Big Oil at cut rates, and Big Oil iz putting the full 10% in my gas?)

If I turn off the power quickly, half the time I turn on the wipers. I don't know the drill about the little 12v battery. To chek it requires a lot of opening of various doorz, starting with the hatchback. Itz 4 yeerz old, now, I guess I should replace it, altho its nevr given any troubl.

The car bringz more road noise into the cabin than I'm used to. Its wind noise may be less than our '00 Camry.

The plug in Prius coming out when, in '10, will drive around town on battery only for how many, about 120 milez? My '04 pollutes vastly less than what %, 96% of US carz? I wont get the plug in until my '04 startz gettin shabbyt. When will that be, after 150k milez?
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    Dude, your spellchecker missed one. Tires is spelt tirez.
  • ;) That'z what I like......A journalizt with a zenze of humor! ;)