Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death of the body-on-frame SUV?

124»

Comments

• jim314jim314 Posts: 491
    Bob,

Very interesting info about the results of your T-bone crash. . . It's very surprising that your airbag did not deploy. Even more amazing that the woman in the Grand Am walked away--truly miraculous outcome for her and you.

Jim
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Sorry HOST, but with the forum with the title, "Death of the body-on-frame SUV?" I would think there would be some leway in the discussion, especially since I don't see hardly anyone here talking about the death of body-on-frame SUVs too much, just people talking about why they want to keep theirs.

And I don't see how I can "force" people to think one way or another just by posting here...I don't think my words here have that much power ;)

But posting an opposing view in this forum is like going to an NRA forum and posting the obvious truth that if there were no guns available, then there would be no deaths from guns...but no politics right :surprise:
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    With upcoming CAFE regs I can see BOF SUVs going away except for maybe a Suburban and/or Expedition EL. I imagine Ford and GM probably will keep current designs around a while. While I'd hate to see the Expe and Suburban go away, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd just get a pickup to tow my toys.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,683
    um, stay away from the head on into the wall.
    my bof after meeting a wrong way driver
  • hoss416hoss416 Posts: 1
    Bob,

This might upset you but I have a 3/4 Ton Diesel P/U and a SUV. I just sold my VW to pick up the SUV too! Why would I want to do this, for a couple of reasons. While we are a pain for you to see around the added height gives us the ability to see further down the road to avoid danger, if you are at a proper following distance you too should be able to react in a timely manner. On week ends I like to spend time with my family and friends, when we go out it is nice to fill the eight seats in my SUV and take one vehicle over two, thus reducing the amount of vehicles on the road. Finally I enjoy being able to pick up my furniture, mattresses, and other bulky items myself and avoid the delivery trucks, which are much more difficult to see around and get far worse mileage than either my P/U or my SUV.
  • I challenge the auto makers to develop a 50-mpg or plug-in electric with fast-charge battery counterpart to our work-horse SUVs! I have a 1990 4WD, 6-cyl, automatic, Isuzu Trooper that I have used twice to move across California and back, evacuate twice to escape wildfires, enjoy desert jeep trails for hikes not accessible to 2WD, low-slung cars, haul picnic, beach, tail-gate party, gardening and home repair supplies, cat and dog in carriers, and of course passengers. This has been the best car ever, because it's comfortable enough for road trips and provides good visibility, off-pavement and load-carrying capacities. I save gas now by living close to work and consolidating errands but would like to do more traveling again. I'm considering cash for clunkers and wish there were a fuel-efficient or electric alternative. Instead of demonizing SUV owners, challenge the auto makers to design an environmentally friendly replacement; and I don't mean SUV cross-overs or hybrid station wagons weighed down with a 3rd-row seat.
    What model SUV did you buy?
  • I have to occasionally haul full sheets of Plywood. I occasionally pull travel trailers and utility trailers. And I regularly have 6 or more people sitting in my 2008 Expedition. When we have a group going out to dinner, we take 1 car instead of 3. I am also getting a little over 15 MPG around town, and 20-21 on the highway.

I have a tax client with a diesel Excursion. Combining their families, they have 6 kids. Seems like a no brainer to me. She is the neighborhood sports drive, so I seldom see it without at least a half dozen people in it.

Another client was bragging about trading in his 2 year old Suburban on a new Honda Civic and how he was saving $75 per month on gas. It was his wife that mentioned that their car payment is $150 higher each month because the trade-in amount was lower than their balance due. And they regularly have to rent a pickup for $100+ to take the boat to the lake for the weekend, and take the car because the truck doesn't seat enough people.
  • Well it happened. I was involved in a minor accident. Yes it was the first accident I have been involved in that was my fault in over 30 years of driving. I was turning left at an intersection in my 2008 Expedition (full box frame vehicle) and collided with a 2008 Honda CRV (unibody). I was doing less than 10 miles per hour. The other vehicle had slowed down and was probably doing less than 20 mph. Both of us turned to avoid the accident. Airbags did not deploy in either vehicle and no one was hurt. The Expedition is approximately 2,500 pounds heavier than the Honda. Naturally the Expedition came out better. The radiator, engine and transmission on the Honda was turned completely off axis and was shoved into the Honda's firewall. The Honda went through the Expedition's cosmetic pieces like the fender and bumper cover but once it hit the Expedition's frame, the Honda didn't go any further. The Honda would not move and had to be winched onto a flat bed wrecker and hauled off. I drove the Expedition for a week until I had time to get it into the body shop. I'm not sure if the Honda was totaled or not but I would not be surprised if it was as it had some major damage not only to the body/unibody but also to the entire drive-train of the Honda. The main thing here is that nobody was injured. Had the same collision happened at higher speeds, it wouldn't have been pretty for the Honda. Again, thank God nobody was hurt.
    It's good that vehicles are getting smaller and safer in general so when accidents do occur the outcome will be better for all involved.
  • thunderchildthunderchild Posts: 18
    edited May 2010
    I have 3 vehicles at my disposal. 2k3 Dodge Durango, 2k4 Chevy Tahoe, 2k9 Subaru Outback. I use my Outback to drive to and from work most days due to the fact that it sips fuel. My Durango used to be my daily driver until gas hit $4.00 a gallon. I kept my truck though due to the fact that my wife and I love driving trucks. On the weekends the Outback is in the garage and I am in my Durango for everything. My wife drives the Tahoe as her daily. I do this because I do like the Outback, and it is as small of a vehicle I will ever own. When we go on vacation, we can have nothing less than the hauling capabilities of the trucks. When she is doing her Real Estate she needs the size to carry customers and all her gear. I will have these until they reach 300,000 miles. The Durango is at 165,780 as of this morning. The Tahoe is at 100,000 and the Outback is at 50,000 as of yesterday. I am meticulous about my maintenance. They all run great. When They reach 300,000 I will then assess there future life and if it looks good I am going to push for 500,000. I like body on frame tough, dependable, easy to work on trucks!!!
    Even though we have a Ford Freestyle, for our family of 4, our Honda Fit can handle most of our vacation needs. It can hold 4 big suitcases behind the second row and our kids have plenty of space in the back. I guess for families of six that need to tow a boat I can see the need something big. It cost us $15K for the Fit brand new, so not only our we saving at the pump, but also on the initial purchase. And the reliability of the Fit is among the best.
  • vrmvrm Posts: 303
    Need a new thread for the all new 2011 Durango. Thanks.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,504
    Here you go:

2011 Dodge Durango

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

The graphic pretty much says it all.

15 Emerging Dynamics Defining 2011 (AutoObserver)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"Redesigned front ends mean that SUVs and pickup trucks pose far less of a deadly risk to people in cars and minivans than before, according to a study released on Wednesday by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

More compatible designs mean that "SUVs aren't the safety concern they once were," the study said."

Redesigned SUVs Mean Crashes Aren't As Deadly, Says IIHS (Inside Line)

• And I'm happy the redesign in 2013 (model year 2014) will remain to be body on frame!!!! :D
  • gf2020gf2020 North of BostonPosts: 45
    What vehicle are you referring too?
    A reporter would like to speak to someone who recently bought a used large truck or large SUV. If you have purchased a used large truck or SUV in the past 6 months, and you are willing to discuss your decision with a reporter, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 1 p.m. Pacific/ 4 p.m. Eastern Wednesday, April 18, 2012 with your daytime contact information.

124»