Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prius and filling the tank

124»

Comments

• I love my 2004 Prius despite several annoying issues, but the gas tank issue is really serious and more than annoying. It is probably caused by the bladder in the gas tank which can't possibly add anything really important especially at the great innonvienience it causes. My Prius was OK the first three winters and then the problem surfaced. Very bad
  • Why buy? to lower one's carbon footprint? To save fossil fuels. To drive an otherwise great car. I just got back from a trip and found my tank "filled" from half way after 2.2 gallons.... all the while I was constantly clicking the gas nozzle on b/c it kept shutting off as if full. I drove away and the gauge read the same. 15 miles later, the same thing, 15 miles farther and the darned thing overflowed but it finally read full.
  • I have a 2008 Toyota Prius I purchased new about 21 months ago and have driven 21,000 miles. The gas gage has never worked correctly and the mileage goes from 33 to 50mpg but mostly around 39 mpg in winter. The worst problem is not being able to fill up the tank. It will not allow the tank to fill at many gas pumps. It is the bladder problem that has been posted here. I have an appointment with the dealer Tuesday as I told them I am tired of them telling me this is not a problem. When you can't fill up your gas tank - it is a big problem.

The impression I get from the posts is that people are willing to put up with this because of the other good things about the Prius. I can't believe I paid over $22,000 for a vehicle that has a serious problem like this and the manufacturer thinks it is not a problem. I want my money back!
  • stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    I would like to remove or puncture the bladder as it causes more serious problems than it solves. Any clues where to start?
  • I don't like to pile on but this may be a good time to raise the Prius gas tank issue with Toyota, Washington, the press or others.
    I have a friend that is a reporter at Bloomberg.com that I can contact.
    Does anyone have any thoughts, one way or another?
  • I'm surprised how little people are complaining about this issue. There are just a few things I hate about this car. The bladder gas tank is number one on my list. I can never fill up the tank and I don't get the advertised total miles achievable. If they advertise an 11.5 gallon tank I should be able to add that amount approximately if I'm completely empty. What gives??? This was another engineering blunder by Toyota.
  • My 2007 did the same thing.Only filled the tank about .75%
  • Since the fill ups are consistently inconsistent,how does one check the accuracy of the trip computer MPG and for that matter what your actual fuel consumption is.
    If you fill the tank very slowly,might that cause an overfill and damage something?
  • Hello Steve.....

You do make a good point about the tank on the prius. the bladder is one of
    the many systems in the veh that allows it to be a partial zero emission
    designation. no void in the tank= no fuel vapors (into the atmosphere or
    having to burn them on decelleration as do most veh's).

plastics are not developed that allow full flexibility when at our winter
    temps, and protection during those
    100+F days of summer. (we would not want your
    fuel tank to pop like a water balloon in the Mohave) & there are sensors
    that would light up the dash if the badder would rupture.

as all products will, there will be advances in technology sooner than
    later. i.e. batteries and computors.
    but i would not look for a major change in the tank designs as of yet.

thank you for your input,
    Don Nisbet, Bighorn Toyota, Glenwood Springs, CO
  • That may be true, but misleading... As the THC is a PZEV, and does NOT use a bladder. Nor do any of the other PZEV's. It is an engeniring blunder that TMC has ignored and does not care to address. The bladder is terrible, period. I owned and drove a Prius for 2 years, and hated the fuel system. Great mileage, terrible fuel system. Don't be a fanboy and sugarcoat it.
  • How can you tell if the mileage is great if there is no way to accurately check it? Sometimes it will take a fill up, and other times not even close.Can we trust the trip computer? :confuse:
  • I don't mind beating up on Toyota M C but the guys at Toyota Bighorn Motor in Glenwood Springs, CO have always been perfect to me and all their other customers I've talked with. They deserve an A+ and have since I first dealt with them in 2004.
    If anyone has the right email to complain to TMC or the proper federal agency, I'll send in my complaint. There might be a news outlet that will pick up and run with the story due to all the other problems. Now is the time.
  • The computer is going to be accurate within a percent or so--so yeah, I am certain when I owned my prius I got great mileage. When you can go 550 miles on a tank, as I have, you can presume the mileage is good:)

I am not picking on a dealer, just mis-information. The bladder design is not an intregal part of the prius being a prius. A tank like any other PZEV would still allow it to do and be everything a prius is and stands for.
  • I have a fully loaded Prius 2004 and love it. I was one of the first people in Syracuse, NY to have one. The gas tank capacity however has been an ongoing problem especially on a trip. A few months ago it started to accept less and less gasoline on a fill up. It is now accepting less than 5 gallons when the fuel gauge says it is nearly empty ( no boxes lit up and or the last one blinking). This is worse now that it is winter, but I have a feeling that it will be progressive over time. Since it is not practible to stop every 100 - 200 miles for gas I guess I will be asking the dealer to fix it. I don't know what will be offered. Has anyone had work on this problem done at a Toyota Dealer and did it fix the problem? and how much did it cost?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,738
    How many miles are on your car? I wonder if this repair would be covered under either the emissions components warranty or the "hybrid components" warranty.
  • Within 1 month of purchasing my Prius in 2008 my tank was so bad they had to put in a new bladder. It needed to be ordered because none were in stock. Got my car back within a few days. Because the car was new there was no charge.
  • Maybe this is too obvious,but I have to ask.Have you tried to pump the gas slower?Seems to work for me.This requires to manually hold the handle rather than using the notch.
  • lk7lk7 Posts: 2
    I have and there is no discernible difference. Car usually needs be be filled around 230 miles to the tankful. Maybe a trip to a good dealer?
  • Definitely,and if that doesn't help,I would go to another one.
  • The gas tank is the one item that does bother me. You can't fill the tank completely. The fill will stop about 2.5 gallons short of a full tank. Considering the fact that it already has a bladder( to allow for expansion), this did bug me in the beginning. I found a way around it and my mileage is more consistant now. I was also told the the new generation has a different style gas tank. i don't know if this is true. I will note one item that is not brought up is that my odometer and gps speeds don't match. My car reads 1.5 - 2 Miles per hour faster than gps. Did any one else see this?
  • My gauge will show 419 miles before needing gas, I fill up, actually overflow, get into car and the gauge still shows 419 miles before needing gas, It never returns back to 600 miles to fillup. Help please
  • leedpleedp Posts: 2
    Hi Serge. Have you had any success with Toyota Canada regarding your Prius fuel tank problem? I live in Brampton, ON and have a 2004 Prius. Around 2008 I noticed my tank not holding as much fuel and harder to fill completely.
    Having an extended warranty I thought if it became a real issue it would get repaired under warranty. Finally by 2011, it was only filling to 35 liters. When taken to Toyota garage, I was told that it needed a new filler neck and a combustion meter computer for a cost of almost $2000! I contacted Toyota about my extended warranty coverage and they claim that this is not part of the fuel system coverage. I have requested Transport Canada to examine this as a safety related defect. I cannot understand how the fuel system can have a defect and yet Toyota can try to ignore it as a potentially very serious safety issue. Please let me know of your cars' and their status.
  • leedpleedp Posts: 2
    Have you had any success with Toyota Canada regarding your Prius fuel tank problem? I live in Brampton, ON and have a 2004 Prius. Around 2008 I noticed my tank not holding as much fuel and harder to fill completely. Having an extended warranty I thought if it became a real issue it would get repaired under warranty. Finally by 2011, it was only filling to 35 liters. When taken to Toyota garage, I was told that it needed a new filler neck and a combustion meter computer for a cost of almost $2000! I contacted Toyota about my extended warranty coverage and they claim that this is not part of the fuel system coverage. I have requested Transport Canada to examine this as a safety related defect. I cannot understand how the fuel system can have a defect and yet Toyota can try to ignore it as a potentially very serious safety issue. Please let me know of your car and it's status.
124»