Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prius and filling the tank

12346»

Comments

• How can you tell if the mileage is great if there is no way to accurately check it? Sometimes it will take a fill up, and other times not even close.Can we trust the trip computer? :confuse:
  • I don't mind beating up on Toyota M C but the guys at Toyota Bighorn Motor in Glenwood Springs, CO have always been perfect to me and all their other customers I've talked with. They deserve an A+ and have since I first dealt with them in 2004.
    If anyone has the right email to complain to TMC or the proper federal agency, I'll send in my complaint. There might be a news outlet that will pick up and run with the story due to all the other problems. Now is the time.
  • The computer is going to be accurate within a percent or so--so yeah, I am certain when I owned my prius I got great mileage. When you can go 550 miles on a tank, as I have, you can presume the mileage is good:)

I am not picking on a dealer, just mis-information. The bladder design is not an intregal part of the prius being a prius. A tank like any other PZEV would still allow it to do and be everything a prius is and stands for.
  • I have a fully loaded Prius 2004 and love it. I was one of the first people in Syracuse, NY to have one. The gas tank capacity however has been an ongoing problem especially on a trip. A few months ago it started to accept less and less gasoline on a fill up. It is now accepting less than 5 gallons when the fuel gauge says it is nearly empty ( no boxes lit up and or the last one blinking). This is worse now that it is winter, but I have a feeling that it will be progressive over time. Since it is not practible to stop every 100 - 200 miles for gas I guess I will be asking the dealer to fix it. I don't know what will be offered. Has anyone had work on this problem done at a Toyota Dealer and did it fix the problem? and how much did it cost?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,632
    How many miles are on your car? I wonder if this repair would be covered under either the emissions components warranty or the "hybrid components" warranty.
  • Within 1 month of purchasing my Prius in 2008 my tank was so bad they had to put in a new bladder. It needed to be ordered because none were in stock. Got my car back within a few days. Because the car was new there was no charge.
  • Maybe this is too obvious,but I have to ask.Have you tried to pump the gas slower?Seems to work for me.This requires to manually hold the handle rather than using the notch.
  • lk7lk7 Posts: 2
    I have and there is no discernible difference. Car usually needs be be filled around 230 miles to the tankful. Maybe a trip to a good dealer?
  • Definitely,and if that doesn't help,I would go to another one.
  • The gas tank is the one item that does bother me. You can't fill the tank completely. The fill will stop about 2.5 gallons short of a full tank. Considering the fact that it already has a bladder( to allow for expansion), this did bug me in the beginning. I found a way around it and my mileage is more consistant now. I was also told the the new generation has a different style gas tank. i don't know if this is true. I will note one item that is not brought up is that my odometer and gps speeds don't match. My car reads 1.5 - 2 Miles per hour faster than gps. Did any one else see this?
  • My gauge will show 419 miles before needing gas, I fill up, actually overflow, get into car and the gauge still shows 419 miles before needing gas, It never returns back to 600 miles to fillup. Help please
  • leedpleedp Posts: 2
    Hi Serge. Have you had any success with Toyota Canada regarding your Prius fuel tank problem? I live in Brampton, ON and have a 2004 Prius. Around 2008 I noticed my tank not holding as much fuel and harder to fill completely.
    Having an extended warranty I thought if it became a real issue it would get repaired under warranty. Finally by 2011, it was only filling to 35 liters. When taken to Toyota garage, I was told that it needed a new filler neck and a combustion meter computer for a cost of almost $2000! I contacted Toyota about my extended warranty coverage and they claim that this is not part of the fuel system coverage. I have requested Transport Canada to examine this as a safety related defect. I cannot understand how the fuel system can have a defect and yet Toyota can try to ignore it as a potentially very serious safety issue. Please let me know of your cars' and their status.
  • leedpleedp Posts: 2
    Have you had any success with Toyota Canada regarding your Prius fuel tank problem? I live in Brampton, ON and have a 2004 Prius. Around 2008 I noticed my tank not holding as much fuel and harder to fill completely. Having an extended warranty I thought if it became a real issue it would get repaired under warranty. Finally by 2011, it was only filling to 35 liters. When taken to Toyota garage, I was told that it needed a new filler neck and a combustion meter computer for a cost of almost $2000! I contacted Toyota about my extended warranty coverage and they claim that this is not part of the fuel system coverage. I have requested Transport Canada to examine this as a safety related defect. I cannot understand how the fuel system can have a defect and yet Toyota can try to ignore it as a potentially very serious safety issue. Please let me know of your car and it's status.
12346»