Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Thought you liked their AWD better - and remember, Lexus could be advertising untruths about the improvements to the RX330 AWD...
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    While like the new 4runner, the XC90 appears to have a really good AWD system, I just can't adjust myslef to the Volvo "look". And other than the AWD system, the 4runner is just another big, bulky, and heavy fuel guzzling Explorer.

Didn't help that when I went in to look at the XC90 the salesman I encountered was more arrogant than most MB sales people.

And at that time I hadn't learned of Lexus' plans to scrap the always flaccid VC in favor of the ML AWD engine torque distribution system in the new RX330.

I really do like the looks of the RXxxx over ANY of the others and while I often denigrate Lexus for their earlier motto, "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" I must admit that I have more faith, OVERALL, in Lexus than any other automotive manufactuer. Well, maybe more like equal to Porsche, but restricted to its 911/996.

Except for Lexus' dealer service shops/policy, the're the ABSOLUTE PITS!
    I am quite concerned about the level of aggressiveness or non, for the firmware in the VSC/Trac ECU with regards its actual AWD capability. But if its not agressive enough then there will be a business opportunity to disassmble the code and rewrite it so its more agressive.

What they may need, eventually, is a AWD "mode" switch. To switch between an X5 AGGRESSIVE mode for actual adverse roadbed conditions, and the "soft" mode that Lexus seems to favor, at least for the soccer mom RX "minivan" series.

It bothers me still that when it would have been so very simple, and less expensive, to make the RX300 a true AWD vehicle at the onset, Lexus didn't bother. I suspect they must have had a reason for that and sincerely I hope that same reason doesn't carry over into the design specification of the RX330 AWD ecu firmware.
  • outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    Went to a Toyota dealer last week to have the 15k service done to our '01 RX300. I walked in with my wife (and Lexus maint book in hand). I asked the service guy how much is the 15k service is. He quoted me $295 + tax. Our eyes bugged out.

So we asked him what that included. He was on and on, rattling off all kinds of crap, including getting a transmission flush, which he said is highly recommended since we have AWD and live in the Northeast.

I asked him why that wasn't in the manual. He said the manual was written "for the entire country, from Alaska to Florida" and "since we have severe temperature changes, it's recommended". So I asked him why they didn't put a "transmission flush" in the "optional" service for "severe duty". He didn't have an answer, except he highly recommends it.

In the end, we told him to do exactly what Lexus/Toyota engineers recommend in the book. So he photocopied the book and attached it to the work order.

Final price? $93 and change.

Don't get suckered into buying "recommended" services. Just follow the book and all warranty items will be honored.

-Craig
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I went to have my 15K done at my Infiniti dealer in December. When I asked them what it costs, they said $200. I asked what that included. Ii let them do all of what was on the list except rotate the tires. I can do that easy enough. There were some things they did that the manual didn't call out but they were minor in cost and I figured it wasn't a big deal. I am surprised about the difference from Lexus ($500-600) to Infiniti ($200) dealerships.
    My 01 C4 is getting 15k (at 10K/18 months) service as we "speak" and the cost is $75, oil(12 qts) and filter, modil 1.

Other than normal wear or failed items, until you reach 90k, no Lexus (actually most modern day passenger vehicles) should need more servicing than oil, filter and pollen filter each 7500 miles, and an engine air filter every 15k miles.
  • hightoptennyrxhightoptennyrx Member Posts: 23
    I too agree that a Lexus shouldn't really require more than oil and air/pollen filters during the first 90K. At 39K, my 2001 RX 300's brake fluid is as clean as it was when I bought it. It would be a waste of money and environmental resources to change it today.

I have the oil changed at the Toyota dealer for $25 and, after being ripped off for a $150 15K service, only visit the Lexus dealer for warranty service or when I have an hour to kill for a free car wash, Krispy Kremes, good coffee, and use of their phone!
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    So we asked him what that included. He was on and on, rattling off all kinds of crap, including getting a transmission flush, which he said is highly recommended since we have AWD and live in the Northeast.

My dealer explained to me that I really needed to do that because I have AWD and live in the Southeast... =:-0

Anyway, brace yourself for the 30k, which was supposed to cost $450 or $475! The list of useless line items was always topped by the $10 engine cleaning solvent, which I found out was a $1.29 bottle of STP gasoline additive. Watch out, major fraud alert!
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    My 30k service cost about $100. by my local guy (not Lexus). I just gave him a list straight from the manual. This included cooling system service and brake fluid change and Quaker State Synthetic blend. I only use the dealer for warranty work.
  • ch05ech05e Member Posts: 12
    With new suvs from Cadillac,Nissan,Infiniti,and Volkswagon, I wonder what chance the Rx330 has at winning the Motor Trend SUV of the year. As we all know it won it back in '99, but after a recent car and driver test of mid-lux suvs, Volkswagon topped the GX. Does the RX have any chance? Any thoughts?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Does the RX have any chance? Any thoughts?

Every major competitor has a chance, so long as their manufacturer is willing to "participate" in the joint marketing campaign with Motor Trend. If Lexus wants the RX330 to participate MORE than the others ...
  • khcc1khcc1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 01 LX470....got a quote from my Lexus dealer for the 30k service.....they wanted $1,100!! I called my nearest Toyota dealership and asked if they could do my service. They told me that since mechanically it was the same as the Land Cruiser they could perform the service...and the cost was only $385! What a difference. No wonder Lexus dealers try to be so nice to their customers...they rip you off with the maintenance. I will only be back to my dealer for warranty repairs.
    Lexus is quoting $1100 to make the Toyota quote of $385 look good, kick back time?

Here in our area, Lexus of Bellevue and Toyota of Kirkland are under the same ownership.

If you look, seriously, at the suggested 30k maintenance schedule in you owners manual would the suggested services add up to $100.00?

I would bet not!
  • borg1of2borg1of2 Member Posts: 90
    When I have priced around service on my RX I have found that my Lexus dealer is always about $100 higher then other mechanic shops. Since the only difference between the mechanic shop and Lexus is that Lexus washes the car for you, I call it the $100 car wash.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    from the closest Lexus dealer is $380. I said please base the service on owner's manual not on many other dealer recommended items. They explained blah blah ... that I didn't even want to take notes. Last word they said "it ($380 service)is still recommended".
    I may try Toyota, or do my own oil change.
  • khcc1khcc1 Member Posts: 7
    The dealer is Lexus of Louisville (KY) and I used Greentree Toyota in Southern Indiana...which are different owners. I priced out the service on the internet and the cost was around $150 for the recommended service manual items. I called around and the Toyota dealer I took it to was the cheapest in my area...they all must pad it here.

The Lexus dealer wasn't going to do anything differnt than the Toyota that I took it to except the car wash as I had them give me a point by point list. Guess this Lexus offers a $700 car wash!!
    Look, you own the car, and it's your money the dealer wants to earn.

Tell the Lexus service writer you want ONLY those things defined by the factory in the owners manual as recommended for your mileage and/or time period, NO EXTRAS.

I'd have the service writer write it down on the service order in just that manner and don't sign it until it's written to YOUR satisfaction.
  • edev31edev31 Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone have any information on the availabilty of the new RX330? I know Lexus said April 2003,and then I've heard mid-March. Has a specific date been announced?

BTW- I really miss the exclusively RX330 forum. I looked forward to the latest info on the RX330. Does anyone think it will be brought back? Host??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    er, I guess you missed the conversation a few weeks back? Consensus seems to be to combine them....

albell Jan 6, 2003 2:56pm

Steve, Host
    Maybe three?

The silent majority really is silent, but in this case silence is NOT golden.

Personally I would vote for individual thread for each model year.

As it is now RX newcomers must "thread" their way through almost 7000 posts in order to become current on their model year. Seems onerous and having had to do that myself it is!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The silent majority really is silent, but in this case silence is NOT golden.

Silence cannot be construed as either support or opposition! Else, the Bull Moose Party could have assumed power based on the silence of the majority! :-)

tidester, host
  • esswebessweb Member Posts: 51
    Consensus seems to be to combine them....

Did I miss the voting process? Sienna's future forum is still on, like many others. I don't really care about the current dated RX300, but now I am forced to know about the $100 car wash.

I will try to check around and find out the 330 production date. One thing for sure, I will be placing my order as soon as I can because I don't want one that is built in N.A. I am wondering if there is a way to specify that if the RX is dual source from Japan and Canada at the same time.
    essweb - that topic was discussed comprehensively on the old RX300 forum - you'll have to go back there and search.

And there's a part of the VIN code that will tell you where your new RX330 was manufactured.
    The idea is to move the new model discussions out of Future Vehicles when they hit the showroom. Doesn't necessarily mean that topics will get combined as this one did.

Jeff, this is the "old" RX 300 discussion. Unless you're thinking of something else? I put a link up to the Japan-made vehicles here:

steve_ Jan 7, 2003 10:43am

Steve, Host
    Dealers are supposed to have them in showrooms by April. If you want to place an order now contact John Bode of Lexus of Oxnard.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Does anyone believe that the new RX330 will be significantly better than the current RX? I've read a few reviews and it seems that they've made some improvements, but it's not a huge leap forward.

The main reason I ask is b/c of the fact that I should be able to get a RX300 for around invoice (and possibly low financing) as compared to MSRP for when the 330 hits.
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    How improved is the new RX can be very subjective. I'm in the group that believes the new RX is a positive step - not leap - forward for the segment. Things like powerlift gate, adjustable suspension, laser-guided cruise control, five speed tranny, etc. make this a more improved RX. Does it make the RX300 bad - no way. The RX300 continues to be the best selling Lexus even now. If you can get an '03 RX300 at invoice - that's a pretty sweet deal. It really depends if you're a type of person who wants bragging rights to have the latest and greatest. I personally like good deals, though the new features are tempting.
    Is getting a decent AWD system and, I hope, clearance at the rear for snowchains.
    I did miss the early January discussions. I don't know how, since I've been following the RX330 posts since October!

Although my opinion is mute, I agree with essweb. I don't care to sift through posts on $100 car washes and service prices of the current RX300. I just want the info the new RX330.
    No offense to anyone!
    lol, obviously you've become very good at skimming over posts that don't interest you. Keep it up :-)

How about a nice 330 review? (Autoweek)

Steve, Host
  • esswebessweb Member Posts: 51
    It is not the Toyota way to do things dramatic for model change (except in the case of Sienna, it HAS to beat Honda). That is part of the reason why Toyota/Lexus has great quality.
    The new RX has
    bigger engine – barely enough considering the competitions,
    more room – still not enough room for a third row seat,
    more standard features like curtain airbags – considering the Kias are doing that.

It would not provide innovation technologies like the Benz and BMWs, well unless Honda or Nissan is doing it.

To me as a consumer, that is exactly why I need the greatest and latest from Lexus or Toyota: I will get all I can get. On a more positive note, at least you can be almost certain that those technologies will work on a Toyota. That is especially true when it comes to safety items like the curtain airbag, you don’t want to be the one who cause the OEM to recall its entire fleet.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    essweb, Lexus not provide innovation like Benz?

I think the new RX330 has some nice new innovations like active headlights, air suspension, rear camera, knee airbags.
    Nice review on the new RX from Autoweek. Thanks for the link! I appreciate it! Town Hall has been really helpful to me in sorting out which new SUV to buy.

I went from the Nissan Murano board straight to the Lexus RX330 board when the Murano disappointed me after months of anticipation. I have a feeling the Lexus will not disappoint!
  • borg1of2borg1of2 Member Posts: 90
    Well it appears that I have offended with my post about the $100 car wash. When I read through the previous RX330 threads there were discussions about maintenance costs on that forum. Does the new RX 330 have a new maintenance feature that won't require any mainenance?

I do think that maintenance and all aspects of the RX 300 or 330 are relavant and that combining the threads was appropriate.

As for me, I like the new features of the RX, but question if I should have to pay MSRP for them because Lexus says its a hot vehichle and that is what they want to sell them for. However, I don't know if I would get a 03 RX 300 since its basically the same as what I have in my 99, even if I could get it at invoice, which I think you can. I am in the mood for something different and can't decide between the RX and the GX.

Off to wash my RX, thanks for reading.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    I doubt you've offended anyone with the $100 carwash posts; the theme of "Lexus service depts that do excess services at outlandish rates" is common and recurrent here (and on other Lexus boards). It does seem to get up just about everyone's nose!! Since it is known that Lexus of NA takes at least a casual interest in these forums (ref: sludge problems), maybe there will eventually be some corporate discouragement of this practice. Breathholding not recommended until that time, however.

As far as whether you should have to pay MSRP: you don't. But the 330 WILL be feeding some pent up demand, and there will be a long line of those customers who will pay sticker as a result. Once that demand is satisfied, you can expect to deal, but not before!!

I believe this has something to do with a not yet outmoded economic priniciple regarding supply and demand. (Around my house, that means I supply what SHE demands!)
  • rsmwalkerrsmwalker Member Posts: 5
    I found a Lexus website in the UAE that details the new colors -- the leather choices differ from the style offered in North America, but the exterior colors choices likely represent the same offered in NA. Very comprehensive site (No Navigation offered in UAE).

http://www.lexusuae.com/rx330/content/rx330.html
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    Obviously there is no history on the new 330 yet, and while there are many improvements, the shared experiences and knowledge of 300 owner's will more than offset the perceived inconvenience of those troubled by scrolling through posts that don't apply to their particular concern. We all gotta do that!

You will most certainly find lots of similarities between both models....including expensive car washes. Also many of us 300 owner's will be looking to move up one day. Keep the models together,

I suspect that when the 330 hits the showroom floor, 300 leftovers will be going for "cost" with some interesting incentives.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    This may not be as significant an issue as some think. I recall buying a new 1971 Chevrolet Impala that was assembled in, I believe; Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Much better workmanship than the crap that was being put together across the river in Detroit back in those days. With that said, I believe Toyota's quality control standards will prevail. Most likely the major drive train components will still come from Japan anyway.

Pete
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    If I remember right, a few years back one news (either from TV or San Jose Mercury news, don't remember) said Toyota top manager (CEO or President) spoke to the public that the Camrys assembled in Japan have different quality from those assembled in US...
    Others say don't buy a car assembled on Monday (warning up day) or Friday (hurry home day).
  • ladydi3ladydi3 Member Posts: 2
    I too live in the NE and had the 15K done by the local Toyota dealer for appro $80. Shortly after, I had the engine light and VSC light come on and went to the Lexus dealer to have it checked. They gave me the same song and dance about the Trans fluid needing to be changed, pulled the dip stick out to show me the color which he said was suppose to be pinkish and mine was alittle brown. He said it would have cost $380 for the correct 15K service as the car is in a cold climate, hence rough service ect. ect. yada, yada, .I told him I want only what the owner's manual specifies and then he wants to charge me for the check engine light next time??? Don't get taken, go by the Manual!
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    OnlineTires was down for a while but is back up again. I ordered 5 of these 235/70/16 for $70 ea and $70 shipping (from LA to Seattle). He said the shipping was on the higher side because the tires were heavier than most.

Compared to $107 from TireRack and $115 from Costco (130+Tax-installation-discount), this is a very good deal!

I have 4 Goodyear Integrity's with about 40-60% tread left. Any suggestions on what to do with those?
    ...put them back on before you return the vehicle if your Michelins are worn out by then.

That's what I'm doing. My Integritys have about 200 miles on them and they've been plastic bagged and sitting in an outside shed for 2 years now - just waiting for their "Welcome Home" party at my Lexus dealer.

I think you'll see the RX330s come into dealerships with Michelins as standard if the recent auto shows are a precursor. About time.
  • buckeyedonbuckeyedon Member Posts: 46
    Costco currently offers set of 4 Michelin tire set for $60 off Costco price. I'm not associated with either entity...just believe it's a good offer for someone who wants new set of tires.
  • lil4xlil4x Member Posts: 15
    With nearly 35k on my Michelins, I had hoped to move the barely worn CTs to a new RX330 when the lease runs out 4/1. Now it looks like I won't be able to fit the old CTs since the 300's 16" tires won't fit the 330's 17" or 18" rims. Another victory for planned obscelence!
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    The MSRP of a 2003 RX300 AWD is $36,925. The 2004 may be comparable in price. I see where the new Infiniti FX35 AWD has a MSRP of $36,245. Two questions: Will the Infiniti be the better snow and ice car since the bias is more towards RWD? Does anyone think the 18 by 8 rims will hurt the ride too much?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    If a smooth ride is what you're after, I would get the RX330. If precision steering and handling are more important, and you prefer a firmer ride with less body lean when taking corners, you should take a good look at the Infiniti. This is based on the reports I've read in Car & Driver and the reviews here. It would be interesting to drive the RX330 with 18 inch wheels and tires, along with the air suspension option, back-to-back with the FX35. Equipped this way the RX330 should be an attractive alternative - it should provide much better performance than the current RX300 model it replaces. I personally do like the looks of the Lexus better, but I have to admit that the rather incredible performance (for an SUV) of the FX45 is very intriguing.
  • dpounddpound Member Posts: 4
    Getting a new 5-sp auto and a smaller turning circle would probably be sufficient justification to go for the 330 over the 300.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I gotta give Lexus credit. They corrected most of the problems with the 300, especially the turning radius. I don't suppose I had anything to do with it, but in one of the surveys they sent me I suggested that a height adjustable suspension would be nice. I think this is a great feature of the 330, along with the rest of the features of the sport package. Unfortunately, I think they screwed up the styling. I don't know if I can get used to it. I'm sure that the outward view toward the rear corners is a major problem, too, compared to the 300. Gain some, lose some.
  • 2003ml3202003ml320 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I'm going to write the check and pick up a Mercedes Benz 2003 ML320 next Monday noon. I just found out the 2003 RX300 carsdirect price is just $400 over invoice (expires 2/3/2003) which will give me a really good price compared to ML320. Is there any dealer incentive going on RX300?

Thanks. I definately will call Lexus dealer Monday morning and any information will help.

Jeff
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Lexus has 500 dealer cash and 3.99% financing right now