Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Imanoj, basically you can consider ANY paint/interior protection package from a dealer as a wad of crud designed primarily to seperate you from a few hundred bucks. Long ago Honda dealers here used to "offer" a paint and interior protection package which basically consisted of Scotchgard and a silicon polymer wax job. It cost them about $20 including labor. However, the charge was $400. Pretty good margins, there. This , BTW, was in 1988, so that was a slightly bigger chunk of change then than now.

TC, I'm disappointed to hear about the "dated" look of the '99; since it's my wife's car, I'll let you tell her. Me, I've got a case of OC/NC ("old codger/new car) tooling around in my 01 GS and so am immune to such accusations for now. No sludge in hers yet, Gimpyrx, tho I've been keeping an eye on the board (and her dipstick....I mean, her car's dipstick). Keep us informed; over on the sludge board, there is much hollering about Toyota/Lexus trying to duck the warranty issue on this one. Very troubling.

GS3, I agree with the chorus above; get the new HL, at least if the Lexus dealer won't come off several thousand on the 99.....they've got plenty of 01s nailed to the floor currently and 29K is a bit much, esp for such a dated looking vehicle. ;)

Actually, I'm feeling a little dated myself so I think I'll go take my medicine now.........
  • tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    If I had a GS430 to tool around in, you could call my dog outdated and I wouldn't care. ;-)

A very jealous TC
    It's Friday, so I have to gloat. Was on the Garden State Parkway this morning when I saw one of those hideous AzzSchmecks in my rearview mirror. I could tell he was trying to catch up. So I kept upping the speed. I eventually got bored, floored the gas and left him in the dust. hehehe. The thing was so ugly I just had to get away to keep from damaging my eyes.

Eventually they'll figure out that 185hp is underpowered for vehicle that weighs over 2 tons. Maybe not.
  • Hello,

Comparing the engine specs for the Highlander and the RX 300, they appear to be identical. Yet, the RX 300 requires premium fuel, while the Highlander only requires regular. Could someone tell me the reason for this? Are the compression ratios different, for example?

Thanks.
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    My 2000 RX300 FWD manual says to select 87 and above. It does not say premium fuel has to be selected, but only for improved performance.
    Who told you that the RX requires premium fuel? They are wrong. The manual says that premium fuel can be a good thing, but 87 octane or higher is required.
  • Straight from the Edmunds site:

Lexus RX 300
    Mechanical Features
    Engine:
    3.0L displacement
    Double overhead cam (DOHC)
    V6 cylinder configuration
    Gas engine
    24 valves
    variable valve timing
    220 hp @ 5800 rpm
    222 ft-lbs. @ 4400 rpm
    premium unleaded fuel

Toyota Highlander
    Mechanical Features
    Engine:
    3.0L displacement
    Double overhead cam (DOHC)
    V6 cylinder configuration
    Gas engine
    24 valves
    variable valve timing
    220 hp @ 5800 rpm
    222 ft-lbs. @ 4400 rpm
    regular unleaded fuel
    ...Edmunds is wrong. And they've been wrong on many so called "factual data." I've pressed their editors on this but never get more than a form letter response. There's no fact checking, especially on the rebates and incentives. They simply buy their "data" from a third party and assume it's correct.
  • I purchased my RX-300 since the manual said it was dingy-towable. Mine started shifting rough after only 1500 miles of being towed. ( Like the manual said I started the engine every 200 miles). I had only 7000 miles on my 2001. My dealership said they could not find any problem with the transmission after having it for 10 days. Guess what, I have heard of several other people having transmission problems after towing and now the current issue of Motorhome magazine has several letters from people with the same problems. The magazine states that the 2002 owners manual will say the RX-300 is not dingy-towable. I like my new X5 4.4i much better!!!
  • kmhkmh Posts: 143
    I wanted to followup on my experience with Dent Wizards in San Antonio.

In a word: INCREDIBLE!

I was astounded by the before and after of the work. If anyone is still uncertain or on the fence, I hope this will help. The work they did on my '99 RX was for a quarter-sized door ding from an inconsiderate moron... Dent Wizards has allowed me to forgive (for now). :-)

Thanks to everyone who offered their recommendations and advice!

Before:

After:

One word: WOW!

Very nice.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,956
    Maybe the editors got this info from lexuscanada.... Some sites say 92 octane is recommended. Maybe you can scan your owner's manual and email that to the eds. Lexus just signed an ad deal here, so maybe their ads will explain all :-)

Edmunds does most of its own data providing now too, btw.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• ravlravl Posts: 129
    Until they produced the '01s. I liked the '01s until they produced the Silversport. Have I mentioned how much I love my black Silversport? ;)
    I see you 'regular' Rexus drivers jockn' my SS.... ;))
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    Please tell me what dingy-towable means.
    There is big difference between recommended and required. Some high compression engines (I think MB) do in fact require premium or the warranty will be voided due to extended use of non-premium.

When I was shopping for a car earlier in the year, I found numerous discrepancies regarding incentives and rebates on Edmunds. When I emailed the eds, I was told the data on this was bought from a third party and wasn't "manually" verified. I guess if you could take the time to verify the data, then why buy it to begin with?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,956
    Well, tell 'em again or email me the stuff and I'll try to get someone's attention.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    FWIW, I noticed several errors on their site too. Filled out the form and submitted and NEVER got a reply!....
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Just went to Lexus to buy replacement A/C filters.
    $90 for two, one for the Rx and one for the GS. Asked my saleman howcum and he says filter material is expensive because it traps pollen.

Not sure but I think my furnace filter is the same material, maybe exactly the same, $8 for a 24x30" filter....

Off to home depot and borrow Mom's sissors.
  • Thanks everyone for their input thus far... we're going to go look at 2 more certified RXs as well as a 2001 black Highlander. The more I see the HL, the more I like it.

A few of you have mentioned you think $29K is too high for a certified, 28,000 mile RX300 AWD. That's down from the $30,000 they originally offered (from $33,000)... what do you think is a fair price?
  • trmgatrmga Posts: 50
    My 4 wheel drive RX is about 6 months old with 9K miles on it. Have done lots of travelling up and down east coast without any problem. This week I drove from eastern Va to the mountainous areas of western Va. On a long, uphill stretch of I-64 approaching Staunton, VA I started to notice a strange smell as I started up into the mountainous terrain on the interstate. Was travelling about 60 to 70 mph and riding up a rather steep incline for about 5-6 miles. The smell was similar to the unpleasant odor you get when you pass a ladies beauty shop where someone is getting a permanent. Smell disappeared when I started down other side of mountain. Reappeared on another long, uphill stretch. Never had this kind of smell before in any car. Wondering if any of you have ever experienced this and if anyone has any idea what might be causing it. Transmission fluid, viscous fluid, etc.? Hoping I can get some ideas here before I take it to the dealership weenies. Thanks in advance for any ideas on this one.