Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Your wife is smart ;-)
    Her idea was the first thing I would try too. When I get a chance I'll take a crack at the DVD player. I've been too busy with the technology at my PAYING job to tinker much yet with the car.

Good tire rotation actually does switch the sides and is quite common, like this:

FR -> RL
    RL -> FL
    FL -> RR
    RR -> FR

If you draw out the above placement scheme and follow it, you'll see that every tire eventually touches all four corners, yet the front and rear pairs stay together. As long as the rims are balanced (little lead weights), this rotation will ensure pretty even tire wear.

The only time you don't want to do the above rotation is when you have unidirectional tires and rims. These are wheel combinations that are suppose to spin in only one directional due to tread pattern and rim aerodynamic characteristics. I actually had this on a sports car I owned many years ago. You had to keep the tires on the same side of the car and could only move them from front to rear, rear to front.

TC
  • Options
    Looks like I'm in the market for a Lexus Handheld Tester.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Agreed.

The defrost/floor mode works especially well to keep the windshield above dewpoint and prevent further formation of moisture condensation once the windshield has been thoroughly defogged.

My only disaggreement with your method is that in this mode most of the airflow is still routed to the floor with a much lesser amount going to the windshield. But I certainly don't question that your method works.

It snowed here on the eastside of seattle last night and by the time I had cleaned most of the snow from the hood and windshield I was a bit damp myself. The temperature was down in the 30's, below where the compressor would have worked in any case. I didn't really have any trouble defogging the front windshield with heat and airflow but as I drove to work the side windshields fogged over quite heavily. I ended up slightly lowering a rear passenger window in order to clear up my side windows.

Even with the blower on high (if anybody dares ask me if I'm sure the system was not in recirculate I will do everything in my power to make your next SUV a hyundai) I would have thought much of the humid air would have been FORCED out the outflow vents where-ever they are in the RX300.

In my 92 LS I added 12V muffin fans, two in each quarter panel, in the trunk to aid in exhausting cabin air when any defrost mode, front or rear, is active.
  • Options
    JOFOJOFO Member Posts: 14
    I am getting ready to purchase the rx300. The only thing I hate are the wheels. They look so pewny next to my 4runner 265s. I also hope that upgrading to wider wheels may help with stability. Has anyone upgraded to bigger wheels (like the Gewalt Spoke 18 inch)? What are the biggest tires/rims combination that I can put on the car without any modifications?

Any owners out there concerned about the "tippiness" or rollover potential about the RX300?

Thanks for your responses.
  • Options
    JOFOJOFO Member Posts: 14
    one more question for you rx300 owners.
    has anyone added foglights to your rx?
    was it difficult to wire? where did you
    anchor it? brands?

Thx.
  • Options
    sybelesybele Member Posts: 42
    Hi Johnl5, my 99RX is an AWD without Nak. It is burnished gold, with only 17.5K. I really love this SUV which by the way is free of any rattle sounds. Since I bought it, its only been back to the dealer for routine maintenance.

The only reason I'am considering the '01 or '02 is VSC. My son will be born in July and the latter improves the safety of this vehicle. However, I don't think paying almost 10K to get it is a good deal.

Advice will be appreciated.
  • Options
    adpcsadpcs Member Posts: 59
    Hi,

I am trying to sell my '99 RX w/ 53000 miles in Houston. It is a 2wd with all options except Nakamichi. I have bought a new 2001, but do not want to trade it to the dealer. I am asking $26,900. Please e-mail me if anyone would like further details.

Thanks.
  • Options
    There is a restriction on upgrading the wheels on the RX because of the proximmaty of the rear strut to the wheel rim. Not many wheels above 16" will work. I have been looking around for 17" but have had no luck even there. I really like the ATP SPA 17x8 2-pc wheel.

I would not go above 17" if I were you. The RX suspension seems to have just about the right feel of solidity, not like the softly sprung Jeep that quickly transitions into solidity.

I agree with you about needing a wider wheelbase, that certainly wouldn't hurt the road feel at all.
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    The mystery of the DVD for the Navi has been solved. Gain access through the cargo mat/wheel cover. Remove the plastic tray that holds the lug wrench and then remove the jack. Very important to remove the jack. You will see why. Then slide the little door latch that is on the front of the ECU to open. When you do that, another button is revealed that has a little "up" arrow on it. Turn ignition switch to accessory, push this little "up" arrow button and the DVD is ejected. To reinstall, just slide the disk back into the openning and it will take it automatically and then you close the door and you are back in business. BTW, when you have the door open with power on, you get a message on the screen to close the door. Just one technoid to another.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The Friday's Freeways chat is starting in under an hour's time (5-6pm Pacific). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/freewaychat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Ok, now that you got the disc out, the next experiment is... what happens if you put a movie DVD in there?!

I tried the diag screen sequence but couldn't get it to go. The engine was running in park while I tried it though, I'll try it next time EXACTLY the way you outlined and see what happens.

When you pushed the phantom buttons, did you get audible feedback?
  • Options
    gtmustanggtmustang Member Posts: 41
    The RX300 which I owned had transmission problems. It would make a grinding noise when I shifted from Park to Drive, or from Park to Reverse and vice versa. It also made vibrations and grinding noises when I would drive this car on the road and highway. Lexus tried to solve the problem but they claimed that this was normal. Then one night, the transmission broke down, leaving me stranded in a rainstorm at 2:30AM in the morning. I was really pissed at this point. I had to get the car towed to the Lexus dealer and after they looked at it, they told me that my transmission was gone. The gears were no good. They didn't want to fix it for me and told me that I had to pay for it. I still had my warranty that was still good, but the Lexus dealer still insisted that they didn't want to cover the transmission. I ended up hiring an attorney who called Lexus Corporate offices and cleared up the matter with them.
    Finally Lexus offered to put a brand new transmission in after 3 weeks of aggravation.
    When I got my RX300 back from repairs, I started having more problems with it. This time around, the engine was overheating badly. I would travel for 6 miles or so and the engine would overheat. I took it in for service again at Lexus and they changed some computer module. When I got my car back, it didn't overheat anymore but there was some sort of clanking noise coming from the engine compartment. I took it back to Lexus and they checked out and diagnosed the problem as having bad heads and valves. They told me that the heads and valves in the engine were gone. I called my attorney one more time because I knew that Lexus would not want to fix this under the warranty again. After talking to my attorney once again, Lexus finally ended up putting a Brand new engine in the car.
    By this time I was very disgusted of the bad quality and the hassles which I went thru with Lexus and their service department at the dealership. That's when I decided that I would sell this peice of JUNK and try to find something else which would not give me any problems and which was better quality.
    I did lots of research and found that the Hyundai Santa Fe was the highest quality SUV that equalled the luxury ride and all the options which the RX300 had. But for $20,000.00 LESS! When I sold my RX300, I went out and bought the Santa Fe LX 4WD. I have not had any problems with the Hyundai Santa Fe and this car is built with excellent quality and it has all the options and luxury features that the Lexus RX300 has for HALF the Price.
    I just want to tell those here who said in earlier postings who beleive that I am a salesman of some sort who is trying to "sell" the Santa Fe to Lexus customers & owners, that I AM NOT A SALESMAN. I am just an SUV owner who got Screwed and Burnt by a company called LEXUS who astronomically overprices a vehicle which turned out to be nothing but problems and nightmares for me. Overall, a Piece of Junk.
    As for the safety and resale value of the Hyundai Santa Fe, it has a good safety writeup and its resale value will eventually stay high because of the "High demand" for it. I don't know where you are getting your facts and information, but this particular SUV that Hyundai makes got a good rating for crash tests and safety ratings.
    Ever since I have bought this vehicle, I have gotten to know many people who owned the Lexus RX300 and the Mercedes SUV who have also had problems with these vehicles and who turned around and sold them and bought the Santa Fe 4WD. They have had no problems owning the Santa Fe. As for me trading in this vehicle, I intend to keep it and drive it for 200,000 miles before I get rid of it.
    I beleive that within the next few years Hyundai will be equal to the competition which is Lexus and Toyota. As a matter of fact, they ARE close to being equal right now with the competition. How? Well, Hyundai has been building high quality vehicles now since the early nineties. For the past 10 years, Hyundai has not put down their owners like Lexus and other competitors, and Hyundai "HONORS" their warranty unlike other car companies. This is a proven fact. To you people here who beleive that Hyundai might be an inferior car company, there is a "high consumer satisfaction and demand" for Hyundai cars and SUV's and millions of Americans are turning away from the overpriced Lexus and Mercedes SUV and buying the Santa Fe which has equal quality, workmanship and engineering as the higher overpriced cars without the overpriced sticker price.
    Most of these shrewd buyers don't really care about having a little less horsepower in the Santa Fe if this SUV has the high quality engineering like it does.
    And as for the person who put down Porsche in an earlier posting, you don't know what you are talking about. Porsche cars are made with the utmost quality and most of them are built by hand. The Germans were the ones who invented much of the automotive technology which other car companies like Lexus now use on their vehicles. You should not snap your gums when you don't know what you are talking about. I just thought that you should know this.
    Again, I just want to make myself clear that I am not any type of salesman or anything like that. I just am on a crusade to "EDUCATE" people who currently own or who are thinking of going out to purchase the Lexus RX300 SUV. I don't want them to go thru the bad experiences and hassles which I went thru with Lexus with this particular vehicle. Most of all, I don't want them to get screwed by a car company which does not put their money where their mouth is. I think as consumers, we need to make sure that car companies like LEXUS don't take advantage of highly educated people like us who want to make big purchases like buying a Luxury SUV.
    I hope that everyone here understands that it is not right for any individual to get screwed and to get their money taken by a company that doesn't warrant the service and quality of their product. For those who beleive the opposite, well, maybe you are the ones who should take a course in business and become more savvy consumers. Wake Up!
  • Options
    First, every car company can make a still born off of the assembly line. You got one. That's a shame. But it's also the exception as proven by JD Power and Consumer Reports at a minimum.

The Santa Fe does NOT have every feature the RX300 or other high-end SUVs have. You know it and I know it. And please save me the "kit-car" approach of buying aftermarket stuff to make the Santa Fe close to what a luxury SUV is. Most of us aren't in high school and don't the time to "tinker" with a car to make it what we wanted all along.

Your statement "but this particular SUV that Hyundai makes got a good rating for crash tests and safety ratings." PROVE IT. IIHS? NHTSA? CR?

We talk facts here, since most Lexus buyers are "educated". It's obvious you have an axe to grind because you got a lemon. If you are so happy with your Hyundai, great, get on with your life. No one here got suckered into buying a Lexus. I test drove every SUV out there for the last 2 months before I bought my RX, INCLUDING the Santa Fe.

Now go away before we start posting in the Santa Fe forums everytime a Hyundai owner has a problem.
  • Options
    Hey, I didn't put porsche down at all!

Not too many years ago porsche was having a great deal of trouble figuring out how to stay in THEIR market and make money doing it. They dropped the 968, the 928 and the 911 Targa and were still losing money and market share. (Do you think maybe the Japanese cut them some slack by dropping the 300ZX? I do!) THen they asked the Japanese HOW TO DO THAT and they were TOLD. Look at Porsche about 7 years ago and look at them now! See the difference?

Owner of two seafoam green 1978 911SC Targas.

Now, Porsche is bringing out the Cayenne SUV. You want to talk OVER-PRICED! I think the HUGE engine in an SUV will be a BIG mistake (anybody for an LX470? GOD!). I sincerely hope Porsche survives this mistake but I truly have my doubts.

Speaking of pricing, Lexus is as guilty as is hyundai in this regard. THe 1990 LS400 was intentionally priced below market value so they could make a huge inroad into the market. IT worked!

Let's wait a few years and see if that isn't exactly what hyundai is doing, becuase they MUST in order to quickly build market share!
  • Options
    It's not even worth the time, but... why haven't you addressed any of my previous points? Hmmm? Where's those safety results? Where's the feature comparison

As to problems, here's my short sampling:

Vibration and quality control
    toeouch "Hyundai Santa Fe - Topic consolidation" Dec 8, 2000 12:54pm

Vibration again and replacing the rear and front shaft
    icom "Hyundai Santa Fe - Topic consolidation" Dec 24, 2000 10:06am

problems w/locks
    jericho_ave "Hyundai Santa Fe - Topic consolidation" Dec 29, 2000 6:56am
    doverly "Hyundai Santa Fe - Topic consolidation" Dec 31, 2000 7:24am

Not one, but TWO new engines put in car
    lchatt55 "Hyundai Santa Fe - Topic consolidation" Jan 21, 2001 3:30pm

Another engine blown
    abberdabber "Hyundai Santa Fe - Topic consolidation" Jan 22, 2001 4:59am

Does this make the Santa Fe a bad vehicle? No, every product made in the world has to have some defects, it's just the law of statistics. But it once again proves one of your points are wrong.

The more you talk, the more I believe you actually don't even own one since you really don't have a lot of facts.
  • Options
    hayabusahayabusa Member Posts: 26
    You know what's missing on the RX300? A power liftgate. A few days after my mom used her RX300 ('99) she asked me if there wasn't any button to automatically POP UP the liftgate. She thaught something like that was standard (somewhere in June of '98). She found it hard to close the liftgate everytime she went shopping. When the new minivans from Chrysler came out and I heard about the power liftgate I thaught "YEAH RIGHT, WHAT A JOKE, WHO'S GONNA BUY THAT". But a few weeks ago I REALLY saw someone using it. It is amazingly handy. I know a lot of women (MOMS) drive RX 300's and hate closing or opening the liftgate. SO I HOPE SOME ENGINEER AT LEXUS READS THIS AND MAKES THIS STANDARD IF NOT AN OPTION IN THE NEAR FUTURE.
  • Options
    While the occasional off-topic posts are normal and tolerated, let's get back to discussing the Lexus RX300.

Thanks!

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    jct520jct520 Member Posts: 4
    Any suggestions on towing an RX300 behind a motorhome. Towbars? Braking System?
  • Options
    rustygrustyg Member Posts: 2
    Chicagoland buyer for an RX300. Went to McGrath Lexus. Seemed nice but of course quoted a price that is not really a good deal now that I am looking at tons of info on the WEB. I am usually the world's worst auto shopper. My buying and strategizing usually looks something like "I'll take the pretty blue one over there, how much is it?" I have not been a wise auto shopper clearly. Now that I am determined to mend my ways I can't seem to see the forest through the trees with all the info from pricelin.com/edmunds.com/ bulletin boards.... oh my god I want to go back to being naive again.
    So the bottom-line question for ANYONE is what is an honest/good price for the RX300 in Chicagoland?
    With my option requests the invoice total is $37,642...MSRP $$42,941. So what do I offer? $1000 over invoice? $1500?
    I was initially quoted $39,806 with the premium package WITHOUT the Nav and maybe the cargo mat. From what I have read so far that sucks! This makes me slightly prejudiced against the dealer/salesman for wanting to take me for a couple thousand dollars. I guess it is unrealistic for them to offer to make less money because I haven't done MY homework.
    Please someone give me some hard $ numbers on what you all paid for your RX.
    I really appreciate this venue for ideas, information and bantering.
  • Options
    bobfloydbobfloyd Member Posts: 32
    I appeal to all who, by arguing with gtmustang, encourage him to perpetuate his self-centered, uninteresting diatribe. Let it go! Maybe he will then let us get back to our normal discussions of the RX 300.
  • Options
    rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    Our RX was evaluated by a factory engineer yesterday and he concluded that "the noise is within normal limits". This is unadulterated BS because both my wife and I agree that the noise was not there until about 6 months ago. The engine rumbles and reverberates when idling in gear. The noise is very irritating especially when the radio is off and you are trying to carry on a conversation.

We are very disappointed because the quiet nature of this vehicle is one of the major reasons we traded our JGC for a Lexus. I don't know what else to do. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. It's going to be a long 5 years making the payments every month. Otherwise we really love the vehicle and don't want to lose $5k by trading it although I have considered it.

Thanks for listening.
  • Options
    Most of the off-topic posts on the Hyundai Sante Fe have been removed. This is the Lexus RX300 and continued discussions (at length) on both vehicles do not belong in here.

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    Did you really mean $40,941 MSRP and $39,806 for a premium package w/o Nav. Like I said before to someone else. Run don't walk to another dealer. From the prices you quoted, sounds like the dealer is trying to unload a early 01 model that does not have the value package. The value package was a selection of options grouped together and then discounted $1500. Does the sticker have a $1500 discount at the botton? I got an 01 with nav for less than you were given for 01 w/o nav. Let this dealer rot with that vehicle, unless he comes down a lot more. The nav was a difference of $2000 option. Check back a few hundred post and see what other premiun packages sold for. I think you should be able to snag one a lot cheaper than this.
  • Options
    Randall, there really is a very simple way of solving this to both your satisfaction and the Lexus rep. We used this technique recently.

I take it your vehicle is an '01 model, correct? Simply take it and ask that both your vehicle and at least two other '01 models on the dealer lot be listened to under similar driving conditions. If your vehicle sounds so much more different than at least two other vehicles, then they can't deny that there is something wrong.

I'm very picky, and I could hear a slight ticking noise in our RX when EVERYTHING was off except the engine. Strange thing is you can't hear it from the outside (dead quiet) or under the hood. But when we took it two different Lexus dealers and compared it to other cars on the lot, sure enough, the noise was there. Found out it was the fuel injectors clicking on and off, and that it is slightly louder in the '01 model than previous models according the lead service guy. He said, "think that is bad, listen to the ES300."

But the bottom line is that I'm really sensitive to stuff like this and that there was nothing really wrong with our vehicle as compared to the intended design. I'm satisfied because I did a "double-blind" test and went to two different dealers (without telling them I did) and got the same exact explanation and results.

Other than that, our RX is perfect in every way. The service and attention has been outstanding.

Please let us know if you pursue this further and what the outcome is.

TC
  • Options
    kingscreekkingscreek Member Posts: 37
    I had to run by the dealership yesterday. I asked the sales manager if he had heard anything about a third seat being added in the 2002. I told him that the service manager at the other dealership had told me about the possibility of this happening. He seemed rather shocked to hear it and seemed to agree with you that 2002 would be too soon. He had heard something about the tires being changed and he had even heard an idea tossed around that they would bring out a new car that would be between the RX and the LX that would have a longer base and a third seat.

So as usual, it is all a matter of speculation for everyone. He did say that Lexus is planning on doing a lot of work to one of the sedans this year for 2002 (I can't remember which one -- it seems as though he said the IS30), and that they usually change only one car in a year. I guess we will all have to wait and see.

By the way, did you happen to read the February, 2001 issue of Car And Driver? They were describing the new convertible that Lexus introduced - the SC430. The chief engineer at Lexus, Yasushi Nakagawa, sent his design team to the Cote d'Azur in the French Riviera to soak up the sights and sounds. He then pulled them into a meeting right there and had them draw up plans for this car between espressos and biere pression (draft beer). I think that is a great story.

On another topic, would it be possible for the RX to have the ability to have a single cd slot on the dash and also have the multiple holder elsewhere? It would be nice to have both.

I was impressed to hear that you tried most of the other cars that you were interested in before you purchased the RX. Do you find the front seats in the RX to be a little less comfortable than some of the other cars? Of course, this may be a matter of personal taste, but I would prefer a seat that was a little softer -- not as much as the Jeep, but perhaps more like the Volvo. I have only had my RX for five months and the seats are better now, so perhaps they have to break in a little.
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    I recently found an old magazine "Open Road Set 98' It was probably the first comparison between the RX & ML the db rating (interior noise) was listed as follows idle in neutral 44dba, max first gear 79dba, at 70mph 74dba. Although this data is dated I posted it because at the worst this is what the tech should have gotten, newer models probably have increased sound deading materials thus these ratings could be lower for 00', 01' models, did you ask the tech what his reading was and what is considered by lexus as acceptable +, - dbs, and did he perform tests at idle, driving the car, etc. Also Lexus spec may be different than above listed. I'm also extremely picky about the noise in my cars, Each auto loosens up a bit after use and some noise is to be expected. The RX is quieter than an ES and my friends Acura TL.

Also:C&D has on its web site spy photos of the 2002 Camry. What I think will happen is that Lexus will build a new RX for later in the 2002 or 03 model year probably a bit bigger, with a third row more HP, etc. Continue to build the highlander of of its current platform (This will make mainy RX owners including myself happy) And there was talk a few years ago about building a vehicle slotted between the RX & LX off of the GS platform.
  • Options
    I'm almost 100% positive that the 2002 RX will not have a third seat. Unless they stretch the body there is simple no room. The Toyota Highlander is a precursor for the RX redesign since it is slightly longer. Also, the next redesigned RX will be built in North America, they simply don't have the factory ready yet for the 2002MY. MotorTrend even pushes the redesign out to MY2004 http://www.motortrend.com/future/2004.html

This article confirms that we won't see the new RX until at least the fall of 2003 http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/000405-1.htm

I am not happy with 1st and 2nd year North American builds of luxury SUVs. Look at all the '99 and '00 problems with the ML320s. Look at the problems with the X5. I believe the redesigned RX will appear in MY2004, and I for one wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. I refuse to be a guinea pig while they work out all the kinks on the assembly line. I'm a born and bred American, but I'm also an engineer, and the difference between the quality of North American workers and Japanese is very apparent to me. I've seen too much evidence from electrical to mechanical assemblies. The only saving grace is that they will probably avoid union workers which I despise (like MB does with the ML).

Want to see the 2002 IS300 SportCross?

http://www.elitelexus.com/Sportcross.html

And here's the rest of the 2002's

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2002/v2kmfr20.html

I didn't read the Feb C & D yet, but I like the way you described the "design process." Now that's my type of engineering ;-)

I would love to have a single slot CD in the dash! Lexus' idea of "in-dash" CD changer is like Bill Clinton's definition of sexual relations, a bit of a stretch. I don't think an aftermarket CD player in the dash is possible, it's not like these cars are DIN-type builds where you can just slap in any old aftermarket stereo, everything is too well integrated. But anything is possible if you want to pay somebody enough money to slap something in maybe under the gear shifter or in the center console area. But it would look kludgy in my opinion.

I really did try just about every mid-size SUV out there, which my wife hated since I dragged her around for 2 months (I wanted it to be both our decision). The JGC Limited's leather seats are extremely soft and comfy, aren't they. But I've read that the softness of those seats are a detriment on long hauls and you will eventually sink into those seats after they are broken in. The Pathfinder LE's leather seats are very supportive and firm, but I hear they will break in eventually a little bit, which should make them just right. These were the two vehicles on our "short-list" before I got introduced to the RX300, and the rest as they say is history. I actually had a order in for a loaded JGC Limited, thank god I didn't get that POS. Ever read the horror stories over in the JGCL forum? It's a joke that Chrysler stays in business.

I finally took our RX for my first "office" ride, which is 140 miles round trip. Yes, I drive this everyday. I will openly admit that I wasn't totally comfortable, but, that is due to me trying to find my sweet spot in terms of seat position. I'm close and I think it'll take one or two more rides to get it. I agree with you, I would like a tad more softness, but I believe the seats will break in due to wear/miles and the warmer weather in the summer. You don't want a too soft seat to begin with since it'll be like mush once it breaks in. I guess if I had to complain it would be that I'm 5'11" with long legs and I would like a slightly longer seat cushion. But the saving grace is the lumbar adjustment, my lower back feels great. It's amazing how much you "notice" this area of your body as you get older <g>.

TC

• Options
    garyk211garyk211 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know of a after market rear facing third seat for the rx300
  • Options
    baruppertbaruppert Member Posts: 1
    Although I live in Maryland (not chicago), here is the deal I got on the RX300 with the Premium Package. The only things I didn't get were the cargo net and the Nav. System.

I went through Autobytel and Len Stoler Lexus in Owings Mills contacted me the next day. The monthly lease price they quoted me was within $20.

The invoice price was somewhere over $37,000 the MSRP was $42,600 and I got it for $38,600.

My Lease for 4 years ended up being $595 a month (with good but not fantastic credit). I paid the first month's payment, $500 security dep. and the taxes which were a little over $2000. (I "may" have been able to bargain out the $500 SD but I figure if I go over the 60,000 miles this will pay for it). The residual value after 4yrs. was somewhere over $22k which I thought might be a little on the low side judging by the resale prices I've seen the last couple days. hmmm... maybe I'll find a buyer when I take it back and pocket the extra cash!

I went to another Dealer in Annapolis and they came back with a Lease price of over $850. (granted that didn't include the $2000 down, but what does that account for..... maybe $50?!)I also found several used 1999 and 2000's for over $37,000.

Needless to say I was very pleased with the deal and the Sales Rep.(Ken Buehler... no relation to Ferris)who handled our transaction. Pleasant courteous and professional. I felt absolutely no pressure, although I am sure he knew I was leaving with it :) You can Email him at Lexusdeals@aol.com

If you are looking to pay just over invoice good luck to you. The RX300 is one helluva SUV and I am sure they know it..... if nothing else, judging by the sales and my last 2 days with it.

All-in-all I think I got a great deal. I may have been able to squeeze another $500 out them but I kinda doubt it. Either way, when I got there we went through about 15 minutes of chit-chat and paperwork, I picked an RX300(I origianlly wanted the White Gold Crystal but switched to the Vapor Blue. Awesome color, especially in the sun) we drove around for a while and he explained how to use everything. We put in the paper work, went to lunch, came back and signed the papers or should I say paper, the Lease was only one page..simple and easy to read. Buying the RX300 was exactly what it was supposed to be...FUN! I don't have any worries for the next 4 years (other than the payment) damn near everything is under warranty, if it breaks down they'll come get me, take the car back to the shop and if it can't be fixed quickly I get a loaner... I'm sure I'll be able to manages a day or two with an ES300.

If Lexus delivers what it promises I am sure my next car will be a Lexus as well.

The only problem I foresee is keeping my wife in her RAV4 and out of my RX300!
  • Options
    Actually '98 was the 1st year for the M-class. While it is true that '98 and '99 MLs did have their problems, the '99.5 and '00 models have been relatively troublefree. My ML was in the 2nd batch of '00 MLs to come off the factory floor, and I've only had very minor problems (ex. glovebox lid rattle, door lock squeaks; all of which have been fixed). None drive/powertrain related.

I agree with you that that it is highly unlikely that the RX will have a 3rd row seat. There is just simply not enough room back there for one (the short wheelbase is the main problem).

Hope you're enjoying the RX!

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    My mistake on the MY ML320's, but you know what I mean ;-). The new MLs are fine vehicles from all I've read and talked to folks, but you and I both know they were NOT up to normal MB standards when they first came out. Since the MY2004 RX300 will be Lexus' first vehicle produced outside of Japan, I don't have a good feeling about this. I would love to be wrong about this, time will tell.

Read about that guy you smacked up his Highlander driving it home from the dealer? From his accident description, I really think VSC would have prevented him from losing total control. I can't believe folks are so short sighted when it comes to safety and saving a few bucks. I'm glad the guy is alright, but you and I both know it could have turned out different.

I sleep so much better knowing my wife and son are in the RX.
  • Options
    I followed your directions exactly this time and was able to get the systems screen to go into diagnostic mode the first time!

The most interesting menu was the navigation system menu. I like the one screen where you see the actual data from the three different satellites, and then the resultant triangulation data to show your computed lattitude and longitude.

Also, there was a microphone voice command test screen. Did you see this? It seems the function was disabled, but apparently it's used to see if some kind of voice recognition system can understand a yes or no command. Does any model Lexus actually have voice recognition that you know of???

Very interesting...
  • Options
    cali5cali5 Member Posts: 15
    I've had my 2001 RX300 for only two weeks now. I have noticed that when I shift it into reverse the engine is noisier than when in drive. I am wondering if this is normal.
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Tony the highlander is not what the future RX will be built off of it is the current RX platform just slightly stretched.

Also for Drew and yourself the ML and JGC are built in the same factory on the exact same assembly line I remember seeing a write up in US Today, have you noticed that all the related problems for both vehicles have cleared up around the same time.

barupport: the lease you described seems a bit high ($) over the 48 month term, with the down payment you made. What lease company did you use, there is a huge difference LCF usually comes out $40-$60 a month higher than others Also if you were a returning Lexus customer the sec. dep. is waived.
  • Options
    cali5cali5 Member Posts: 15
    When I have either or both of the rear windows rolled down 50% or more there is a terrible flapping sound. It is not the cargo cover or the seat belts flapping around. The noise is extremely irritating. My son likes having the window down otherwise I probably would not have discovered this. It does not happen when the front windows are down. Any other RX300 owners experience this?
  • Options
    Actually, the N.American M-class is built in Alabama. Most of the European MLs are built in the Graz, Austria plant (next to the JGC, the MB E-class 4-matic, and the MB Gelandewagen), but some of the Euro-only ML270CDIs are still built in Alabama. I don't think that the problems WRT the Euro JGC and the M-class have any correlation.

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    pbk77pbk77 Member Posts: 23
    Quick question for all of you. Does anyone know of a good Lexus Accessories online shop? I'm looking to buy some license plate frames and was wondering if anyone found a nice set. I'd appreciate any help!
  • Options
    I told you the diagnostic page was cool. It is tricky to get into. I also discovered last night that the night mode on the screen does not work if you have the instrument light control switch for the dash lights turned all the way clockwise.The voice command is disabled in the RX, but I think it is on the LS430. There is no microphone in the RX, that I have found. I guess you might be able to intergrate one into the system.
    "Lexus accessories", try irontoad.com. They appear to be a lexus dealer in PA. with good prices.
  • Options
    trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    Just bought a new 2001, 4WD, RX300 with Navigation and everything you can get on it except gold kit, and tow hitch. I had shopped the RX 300 about a year ago and the dealers weren't willing to move off MSRP hardly at all. This past month I shopped for an Acura MDX also (GREAT SUB!) and then went to the Lexus dealer to see how it compared--both ride and price. I was quite surprised at how quickly the salesman moved off MSRP when I explained that I was also shopping the MDX and thought it was one great vehicle (wife prefers RX-300 due to smaller size so that eventually won out since it will be her car). I went away with his first offer then shopped a few other Lexus dealers and some on-line places. First Lexus guy calls me back a couple days later, I tell him about the prices I have gotten that beat his and he again comes down. Bought the car for $39,685 ($41,500 with taxes and tags) and felt I could have done better if I took more time to deal but wanted the car and he had it ready to go. Point is, if anyone is looking at the RX 300 let the salesman know that you are also very serious about the Acura MDX and watch him start dealing. By the way, the MDX doesn't have quite the quality that the Lexus has but it sure comes close and it is loaded with features--all the RX 300 has plus more for $39,400. That's a firm (MSRP) price for MDX with Nav system and touring package which is just about all you can get except for a few other small item like running boards and rear flaps. It's larger than the RX 300 but one of the best design engineering jobs I have seen. You'll have to get on a waiting list to get one though. Thanks to all of you who have participated in this forum. Your comments have been very helpful during my decision making process.
  • Options
    I drove both before I bought, here's an honest assesment:

MDX advanatges:
    * More Cargo area/wider/third seat if you want it for kids.
    * Steering wheel mounted radio controls
    * Seat and mirror(?) memory linked to remote key fobs.
    * So many cup holders it'll make your head spin. Really. It has cup holders coming out of it's cup holders.

RX advantages:
    * Smoother ride.
    * Quieter ride, especially at highway speeds.
    * Superior customer service/dealer facilities.
    * Proven reliabilty/build quality, vehicle is in it's third year.
    * AWD is full-time 50/50 split, better handling, rear end less likely to fishtail.
    * VSC, safer emergency handling, less likely to rollover.
    * Base radio is better, has RDS and Traffic reports feature.
    * Better child/dog safety, anti-pinch feature in power windows and moonroof.
    * Better navigation system.
    * One of top three SUVs on IIHS offset crash tests.

The MDX is a good piece of engineering but I couldn't wait to purchase and safety was one of my top criteria in this purchase. The only thing better in terms of safety would be a ML320 or X5, both which are more expensive for the same creature comforts as the RX. But I'd still take the ML320 rear side airbags anyday.
  • Options
    harryrogers1harryrogers1 Member Posts: 40
    I mentioned in an earlier post about a 'funny smell' when trying my new RX300 towing my caravan (trailer)when it had done 450 miles. I tried it out again today (its now done 700 miles) and no problems at all. Towed like a dream. My caravan is 1600Kg and the RX felt as if it had nothing behind it. I guess the smell the first time was some of the protective coatings on the underside near (probably) the exhaust system.

A couple of pics of the outfit.

http://www.btinternet.com/~harryrogers/300back1.jpg

and

http://www.btinternet.com/~harryrogers/300front1.jpg

Going to the south of France with it in June for 5 weeks. Will report back on how it behaved.

Harry Rogers

• Options
    That trailer is a pretty large size. What's it made of, fiberglass?

Looks like a lot of fun!
  • Options
    tclubtclub Member Posts: 22
    Does the RX300 Require Premium Fuel for only a V6?
  • Options
    The RX does not require premium grade fuel. The engine has a variable valve timing that adjust the timing to reduce spark knock. I use the premium grade just because it is only 2 cent higher than the 89 octane level fuel and when you only use 16 - 17 gals to fill up, well do the math and you see it does not matter a whole lot. I don't drive the RX everyday and so the cost is not that much. I did try 89 one time and no difference. NOTE: 22.8 MPG average combined 50/50 rural highway/city.
  • Options
    rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    As one who will probably be buying the RX in the near future, I thoroughly enjoy this discussion site and want to thank Edmonds for sponsoring it. I check it several times a day.
  • Options
    gtmustanggtmustang Member Posts: 41
    I agree with you that the RX300 will be lower quality when Lexus starts building it in Canada. The Mercedes Benz is a good example for this. It's built in the U.S. and it does not meet the Mercedes Benz Quality standards. The same thing will happen with the RX300 when they start building it in Canada.
    Like you said, "I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole." I would buy a Hyundai Santa Fe before I would buy the Lexus RX300 if it's built here in North America.
  • Options
    My views have been very liberal in the past about people posting their thoughts and ideas on this site. I even blasted someone about slamming the door in somebody's face, but your axe is getting real dull. How about grinding it on another site. We all know, that you were unhappy with your RX (if you ever owned one) and that you (sold it for what you paid for it). Says alot about the quality of the RX anyway. Now get over it, and I'm glad that you are happy with your Hyundai. Maybe Drew will let you have a Sante Fe Vs RX300 site, if there isn't one.
  • Options
    kingscreekkingscreek Member Posts: 37
    That was pretty funny Clee.
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Really...I did not want to bore everyone on this board by getting off topic with my man GT. I have been emailing him privately and I see from his post above that he's still at it...too bad.

Well, GT made me do this. Here's a summary report from my email correspondence:

a. Check George's Edmunds profile. Lists a Toyota as his present ride and his dream car is a 2000 Mustang GT. No mention of any RX in his past, present, or future.

b. Claims he got rid of the Toyota because it too was a "POS Rice Burner" like the RX. Guess GT doesn't know what the main diet in Korea consists of...

c. Has been in Town Hall for quite a while and supposedly had this terrible experience with an RX a year or two ago, including legal action, right? But never posted on Town Hall about it until now, when it's all over. Hmmm.

d. For someone so passionately anti-Lexus, a bit strange that he didn't post on this board WHILE he was having all these defective engine, transmission, and rejected warranty request problems.

e. Here's GT's Defining Moment: He cannot produce his RX300 VIN. Every time I ask for it to check his claims, he goes into a vulgar diatribe of one sort or another. My favorite response so far is: "I sent all the RX paperwork overseas with the new buyer." Right. And I guess that the lawyer you hired to write to Lexus never mentioned the VIN in his correspondence. Now that's one bad attorney.

So, bottomline, ol' GT never had an RX. He does claim to have a 1990 Mustang with nearly 260,000 miles on it. For some reason I believe that particular claim.

I'm a firm believer in free speech and I enjoy reading viewpoints different from mine in Town Hall - I can learn a lot that way. I don't believe, however, in fabricated misrepresentations and this is a prime example. Like the saying in the computer world, "Garbage In, Garbage Out."

Anybody that has a Lexus, especially one under factory warranty, knows there can be problems - like any complex vehicle. But we also know that Lexus' service support is second-to-none - and that's where George "Great Tales" GT slipped-up with his hostile diatribe.

There's a good reason his story didn't ring true -it wasn't.