Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Left out a word, meant to say compress th existing accordian folds even more, but not tightly, to create a freer flowing filter, in the car's smallish A/C filter "holder".

Fuses and CBs in you home are rated to limit the current flowing to a wall outlet for which there is, will be, an unknown load. In that case a major part of the equation is wire size.

Most fuses in an automobile have a known maximum load, in this case a completely stalled dc motor for which the stall current is quite definitive.
  • k2rmk2rm Posts: 205
    I live in Berkeley/Albany area and someone carved a swastica in the hood of my Axiom after it was only one month old. I feel your pain. I took it to cooks collision in Clairmont, they did a superb job, can't even tell the difference now. They were very professional and they detailed the car inside and out afterwards. I was impressed. They have several shops in the Bay Area, their website is:

http://www.cookscollision.com/cooks_home.html

My comprehensive deductible was $250 and the total came to $435 which seemed reasonable to me.

Good luck
  • someone carved a swastica in the hood of my Axiom after it was only one month old.

Grr.....

Now Im pissed off for the night >:(

That sucks.

Bill
    (who is Jewish)
  • ravlravl Posts: 129
    I've been wondering if this feature might have anything to do with this particular engine's troubles with sludge/oil gelling. I live in SoCal and am annoyed by this feature in our climate, so I can only imagine how annoying it becomes in much colder climates. IMO, having the engine rev at high RPMs waiting for the vehicle to shift out of 2nd is not good for the engine. I've never owned another vehicle with this feature (delayed shifting to allow for tranny fluid warmup is how I understand this function) and got to wondering if this is truly good or is it bad for the engine to rev high rpms when it's cold?
  • cew4cew4 Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase my first Lexus. Have the opportunity to purchase a 1999 in the CPO program that is fully loaded. I just wonder if the VSC, waterproof glass, and other 2001 changes are worth paying extra money for. Can someone help me?
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    My Maxima has the same delayed shifting, but it only delays to shift into overdrive (4th gear). I'm in North Cal and most of the time I don't see my 2000 RX delay for a long period, or rev at very high RPM.
    BTW, I received Lexus notice of proper maintenance to avoid engine sludge. That makes me concerned more than before. I don't know if some day I'd trade it for another car. My RX has been driven low mileage, about 16 miles everyday. 20 months now and it's got 11K miles. If I stick to time interval for oil change, I don't even see the oil gets old at all, absolutely no color darkened; if I stick to mileage interval, then it may take one year before next oil change...
  • ctk1ctk1 Posts: 79
    I don't have the 02 but I have the 01 RX/SE. This is my wife & the baby's suv. Here is my opinion:
    VSC: Did not have enough snow here in New England to test it, or I am chicken to push it when conering. I am sure it is a safety option for suv. I buy it because this option.
    Water proof front driver & pass glass: Help to increase the visibility when driving under the rain. It is a plus to me
    Xenon head light: Yes, this is a great when driving at night. It is a big help for those who wear glasses. Totally different night driving experience compare to regular halogen head light.I buy it because this option.
    Navigation: I do not have it. I rather stop at the rest area to read the map then look at the navigation while driving (not safe). Wife only drive locally.
    Sludge: Not happy to hear it. Decide to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic oil and change oil by myself. Just did it at 9000 miles.
    Sludge is an issue you may take into consideration. Make sure the dealer warranty on the engine or you may buy extend warranty since the car is 1999. Check record to see if the previous owner has all the record to show the car been service from the lexus dealer.
    Or you may wait for 2003. Rumor... the RX will have a new engine 3.3 liter for this model year. I am not sure abou that.

Good luck
    If you have ANY need of four wheel traction then check to see that the 99 has rear LSD. If you are older, like me, you are beginning to lose your night color vision and HID is a BIG help plus it actually does give more overall lightiing coverage.

If you do get a new 01 or later be sure and get the VSC, TRAC and HID.
  • I have a friend here at work that is interested in buying a 2002 AWD RX300. I don't know the options he's interested in, but I do want to be able to give him an idea of how much over invoice would be the best he can expect.

Also, I bought a GS430 from Magnussen Lexus and had a very good experience there, would someone agree or recommend my friend go elsewhere?
  • I had the same question, my results were:

Cost benefit of new 02 vs used 99 caused me to choose the 02. Excellent 99s were going for in excess of 29k. Beater 99s were going for 24k (outrageous)! New 02s going from 37k.

The Nav system is nice, and the state-of-the-art for built-in systems, but it needs alot of improvements before it is ready for prime time.

Sludge issue -- on the 99 have a valve cover pulled, and look inside, no sludge, no problem.
    Back in the late fifties and early sixties you couldn't open up an engine with any decent number of miles accrued within discovering sludge caked everywhere, regular oil changes included, less than 3000 miles back then.

As far as I know the sludge did no real harm to the engine, we would clean it up/off, do repairs as necessary, put the engine back together and drive another 50k.

So...

I suspect the Toyota/Lexus sludging problem is localized to some "hot spot" area where a build up of sludge can slightly restrict the further flow of oil and now the oil that does get to the hot spot gets heated to an even higher level. Soon the area is severely restricted and you have an engine failure.

Bottom line is I simply wouldn't trust a simple looksee under the valve covers, I would insist, adsolutely, on seeing solid maintenance records unless it were a dealer "Lexus certified"
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,683
    someone carved a swastica in the hood of my Axiom after it was only one month old.

Grr.....

Now Im pissed off for the night >:(

That sucks.

Another Bill
    (who is a thoughtful, intelligent human being who will never be able to understand the stupidity and ignorance of so many other human beings.)

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• I took my 01 RX to Toyota for the 25K oil change yesterday and while I was there asked them the cost of doing the 30K service at Toyota. He told me the price ($369) and they changed all fluids except brake fluid, which the RX manual recommends changing at 30K. He said Toyota did not recommend brake fluid changes ever and that Toyota did not recommend using synthetic oil (I brought my own Castrol Syntec rather than use their QS, the Lexus Dealer also uses Castrol Syntec). After they had finished he said he had talked to the service manager and they recommended I have the 30K service performed by Lexus since they did not have the proper fluids/tools to perform the service. Even wrote that on the receipt. He said the Highlander used different transmission fluids and other fluids from the RX. He seemed surprised that the SM did not recommend them doing the 30K service since they had done 30K’s on ES 300’s. Whether he was correct or not I do not know but the bottom line is that for major services I am stuck going to Lexus. Which is inconvenient and more expensive. It seemed strange since I have seem many posts where people were having their RX’s serviced by Toyota. This Toyota dealer is a fairly large dealership with a completely new building and service facility. The Lexus dealer is owned by different owners and is a joint Lexus/Toyota dealer.
  • ficklefickle Posts: 98
    Well, don't feel too badly, gambiaman. Here in Hawaii, one company owns all Toyota and Lexus dealerships. We've been told by the Toyota service department that they will not service my dad's '91 Lexus at their service department. Can't cut down on costs here in paradise!
  • mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    Although the RX and HL are the same in many respects I guess we are finding subtle differences when it comes to service. I also noticed the air filters from aftermarket sources have different part #'s for the two.
    Mike
    Lexus is a single marque shop with a relatively small and extremely reliable installed base so their service bays are undoubtedly HURTING for revenue. They need your money to survive!

Let the gouging begin, and continue.

Toyota doesn't recommend brake fluid change outs, ever, get the message?
  • Hi,

I have a 2002 RX300 4WD. Only get about 15MPG. Is this normal? I live in OR so it is not all that cold. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ray
  • mtm13mtm13 Posts: 9
    I've been looking at the RX300 as a possible replacement for my JGC ever since I got my wife a GS300 last fall. I am trying to figure out exactly what the SilverSport option is? It seems like it was only available on 2001 models, but I'm not for sure about that. Can anyone enlighten me, as I have not decided yet against a brand new '02, or possibly a low-mile 2001.

Thanks
    If, during the time you have had the Jeep, you oftentimes had to rely on its part-time mode (locked center differential) or needed the use of snowchains in any mode, be very careful about buying an RX or an HL.

These vehicles have a very poor AWD implementation, much less "robust" than the JGC's fulltime AWD, and due to poor suspension clearance snowchains cannot be used on the rear.

While the T/L owner's manual recommends the use of snow chains ONLY on the front, Toyota/Lexus is on record admitting that this can be, potentially, an extremely hazardous configuration.

It is NEVER a good idea to have more roadbed traction on the front vs the rear, and chains on the front with none on the rear takes this to extremes.

Take a long hard look at the ML320, the X5 or if you can do without HID, VSC and TRAC, even the MDX.

Other than a higher price and poor back seat leg space, the ML looks stellar.

If you should decide to go ahead with a used RX (or HL) the only way to protect yourself from the possibility of engine sludging is to see the previosu owners unimpeachable maintanance records or buy T/L certified.
  • ravlravl Posts: 129
    I have a black (only other color is silver) SS and love it. The package includes the Eurostyle grill, sport tuned suspension, smoked badging, color exact lower body cladding, black perforated leather seats, brushed chrome where there's wood, silver accessory racks on top. There's also special floor mats denoting the special edition.
    As far as I know, 2001 is the only year to have the SS made. It's a head turner, for sure.
  • Wifey's 99 RX AWD has averaged 17.2 mpg over approx 42k of mostly suburban miles. However, we are only 250 ft above sea level. What's your altitude? Also, how many miles on your 02? Finally, urban mileage, esp in the heavier AWD, is not tremendous. Mileage will be a little lower initially as the engine breaks in (and this process will extend well past your 1000 mile recommended break in).

And pls don't quote those EPA numbers. For a number of reasons, realistic mileage is usually around 10-12% lower. Remember that the EPA cycle is very well defined, and mfgrs actually can fine tune their engine ECUs to eke out that last 0.1 or .2 mpg ON THE CYCLE. Only use EPA numbers to compare vehicles, not gauge your real world mileage......

Give me (us) a little more data, pls, and we can make some better guesses.
  • Want the best 4WD SUV?

For off-road use?

Land Rover silly!

Bill
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    Willard needs a HUMMER:

1. The windshield folds down = No Defrost Problem!
    2. Off-road capability? None better.
    3. Nav? Nav? You don't need no stinkin' Nav when u drive a Hummer, dude!! Just latitude and longitude.
    4. Hit a deer? What deer? Won't even feel it.
    5. Home Depot Parts Kit? Probably could replace half of the Hummer's body trim parts with stuff from HD.

I rest my case.
    brentwoodvolvo/jeffmust2

I notice you do/say noting to refute/rebutt my statements, just off-subject snide remarks.

Clearly, you are both exceptionally bright folks, can't you better than that?

Don't you think the thread readers are more worthy of honest on-point opinions?

I have not, nor will I discuss off-road capabilities of any of these vehicles, I have no need.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    Lord knows someone has got to try it; I have to put up with your old, tired rants every time someone on this board mentions "AWD" in the same breath with "RX300."

Hey, you bought the wrong vehicle for your driving style and geography. Quit whining about it - either live with it or get rid of it. Better yet, swap it with the T&C AWD minivan you gave your daughter in So.CA - bet she'd be thrilled. You know the RX is a chick car anyway, right?

I do take exception about my off-subject snide remarks - they are NOT off the subject!

"I notice you do/say noting to refute/rebutt my statements, just off-subject snide remarks."

Noting but the tru (ok, ok, it's a typo, but I couldn't resist).

"Clearly, you are both exceptionally bright folks, can't you better than that?"

No. And I get a sick, strange feeling reading your words of praise - like the pilot in "Airport" asking the little boy - "Timmy, do you like to watch Gladiators?" Please restrain yourself in the future.

"Don't you think the thread readers are more worthy of honest on-point opinions?"

Yes - and I hope you get some soon.

"I have not, nor will I discuss off-road capabilities of any of these vehicles, I have no need."

Uh..earth-to-Willard..no..one..asked..you..to.
  • fasterthanufasterthanu Posts: 210
    Someone asks for information on the Silversport and Willard chimes in with yet another dissertation on AWD systems. Some things regretably never change. It is just too repetitious and banal. Edmunds or ClubLexus, I just can't escape this guy's broken record routine.

MTM13 - if you want an unbiased and reasonable opinion, take a look at the past posts in this forum. You'll find that the vast majority of RXers really do find the RX fully capable for its intended purpose. One of the car mags (R&T or MT) had run a comparo of the designer sport-utes, and they ranked the RX 3rd, behind only the MDX and X5, and ahead of the ML, Montero, and others. It wasn't the best performer off-road, but it made it through all the trails as the others did.

And keep in mind that the RX has AWD, Vehicle Skid Control, great braking performance - all contributing to a good performing vehicle.
    Have I ever said I didn't like the RX, and I must admit that my wife likes it one helluva lot more than I do. Call John Bode of Oxnard Lexus and ask him just how loyal I am to the marque. And by the way doing business with John is a really good idea if you happen to need a Lexus in that area.

Nothing is perfect, and Lexus cannot fulfill their motto, "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection", No no scatch that, now its "The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection" if someone isn't willing to step and tell them where they have gone wrong.

Behind the MDX, really?

What was the basis?

I hope that was pre-01, otherwise I'm going to be really embarassed.
  • subalsubal Posts: 9
    I am currently getting 15 mpg around town and at best 23 on the highway at 75mph.
    In comparison, my 2001 S type Jag gets 16 around town and 24 on the highway with a 275hp V8. I think the RX300 is slightly under powered and the over drive geared too low. I came to this conclusion after driving from Los Angeles to Oregon, which included a considerable of long up hill mountain driving.

Allan
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Let's not bicker over silly off topic matters!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    You doofus.

I am messing with you.

I think you're really overanalyzing this whole situation.

Lighten up already :)

Bill