Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,550
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide has this info for most cars.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• raddboy41raddboy41 Posts: 249
    Remember, if you're running AMSOIL you won't need to change that oil until 25K!! :^)
  • pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    If you have the luxery of being near more than one dealer, get a quote. I saved over a hundred dollars on the 30K service by not going to my friendly neighborhood Lexus dealer.

Pete
  • rlui1rlui1 Posts: 93
    Should I service my RX based on the number of miles and ignore the length of time between oil changes? I don't drive too many miles so I'll have the car for six months before I reach 7,500 miles.
  • sssstevessssteve Posts: 49
    I just rec'd my (dreaded) letter from T/L about the sludge issue on my CPO '00 RX-300. Comes with a service complaint form in case you need to make contact with them.

Sure wish they would find the problem (and admit to it) so that a solution can be found.
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    I am in the same situation. My 2000 RX has only 11K miles now. I bought it in June 2000. I think there used to be an old saying "3 months or 3000 miles, whichever comes first". I usually receive a reminder from the dealer, wait for a month or two then go in for oil change.
  • john339john339 Posts: 229
    An article from the 3/13/02 LA Times on the Toyota engine sludge failures. Article mentions an RX300 owner who had to buy a new engine for $8000.

http://cgi.latimes.com/class/highway1/yourwheels/20020313/t000018575.html

• grumbgrumb Posts: 21
    I have a 2K RX that is off lease towards the end of this year. My wife is interested in another one, but only if it has the third seat. Does anybody know if there are any plans for this? I do not want to get into a traditional SUV or the dreaded Minivan to get this and I love Lexus

Thanks
  • tgif888tgif888 Posts: 351
    is not good for Toyota...
  • gsenthilgsenthil Posts: 154
    Taking my RX to Toyota dealer for 15k service. I am taking my own Mobil 1 oil. Manual also specifies replacement of engine oil and filter. Should I let the dealer use his own or can I buy a better one on my own?

Thanks

Senthil
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    Pines Lexus in South Florida. Does it sound a bit steep?
    Reality check here:

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gsenthilgsenthil Posts: 154
    Sorry I meant transmission fluid & differential oil in post 4695 above.

Senthil
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Who said 15k service required tranx and diif'l fluid change-outs?
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    along with the engine oil and filter.

My Lexus Service Advisor told me that it's the only way to make sure that the Navigation, Defroster, and All-Wheel-Drive systems operate at their best.
  • tariktarik Posts: 344
    You got me once again with that headline, I actually thought you had finally surrendered to the "safe crowd", LOL!

There's been an M3 owner on this board who changed the oil every 500 miles, after he drove the car "hard" as he put it! He claimed that his German piece of engineering needed that - Darwin is calling...

On the RX, trans and diff fluid must only be changed in 30k intervals, IIRC, had mine done four weeks ago.

Tarik
  • mooretorquemooretorque Posts: 241
    grumb, you'll need to look at the GX470 then..... best speculation is that that role (ie, 3rd row seating) will be filled by the GX; the RX will remain with 2 rows.

excuse me, i've got to go change my windshield washer fluid on the advice of my service advisor......it's on "rough service" schedule....
    My fleet manager told I should use high-octane gas in my RX so it will run better and to get better gas mileage. Has anyone noticed a difference in vehicle performance (e.g., acceleration) or gas mileage when using 87 vs. 91 octane?
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Posts: 134
    Then.....why is the RX getting redesigned? I've sat in it more than once. It doesn't need head or legroom, (I'm well over six feet). It doesn't need more luxury. Power is very good (cold use a five spped auto plus 20 horses). Sales are strong as an Ox.....I don't know.....
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Posts: 134
    Then.....why is the RX getting redesigned? I've sat in it more than once. It doesn't need head or legroom, (I'm well over six feet). It doesn't need more luxury. Power is very good (could use a five speed auto plus 30 horses). Sales are strong as an Ox.....I don't know.....
  • john339john339 Posts: 229
    tgif888- I agree that part of the LA Times article, concerning the Better Business Bureau rating, was pretty enlightening.

"Toyota's reputation has taken some uncharacteristic knocks, including a negative rating by the Better Business Bureau of the Southland that covers Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties.

"Based on our standards, we rate this company as having an unsatisfactory business performance record. Complaints contain a pattern of allegations concerning warranty and repair issues. Some customers complained they experienced repeated problems with certain components, found zone office representatives unwilling to help with repair costs, or were dissatisfied with extended warranty claims procedures," the BBB report said. "

http://cgi.latimes.com/class/highway1/yourwheels/20020313/t000018575.html"
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    ...don't forget the ES300 board for the links to the LA Times and BBB articles.

Don't these folks have a right to be fully informed? Heavens to Betsy! How MANY times must I outline this?!

Toyota trucks with the 3.0 V-6 and I-4
    Toyota automobiles with the 3.0 V-6 and I-4
    Lexus RX and ES (all have the V-6)

Please don't make me remind you again.
    lol, ruski, you can't say that in here. Try again (btw, your email bounced).

Steve
    Host

• ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    those thieves!

next time I am doing the service in my own garage even though it is a huge no-no in my planned development.
    toyotas1, excellent question. T/L usually has a longer product life w/o major redesign. My presumption is increased competition in the segment forcing more rapid evolution, in the interest of not waiting for sales to begin to sag.

But that's just a guess........

rlui1, this has been debated before, but the short answer is that running octane higher than what your ECU/compression ratio is programmed for does NOT increase either mileage or horsepower since the ECU will not allow any more spark advance than what's already programmed.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    My Lexus salesman told me that the HL wheelbase was bigger to make the platform more stable over the RX which had a few customer complaints in that area.

The RX is being "redesigned" to gain that same advantage and obviously also for parts commonality with the HL. I expect that the RX and the HL will then have the very same base platform.

You do realize that the LX470 and the LC share the very same platform?? Likely the GX and the Sequoia too.
    mooretorque - Thanks for your response. I'm a new RX owner and haven't seen the octane discussions before. I'll try the 87 and save some money since gas prices have significantly increased recently.
    rlui1, my apologies. Didn't intend for my reply to sound condescending or mean, just info that there was a lot of discussion and posting of mileages numbers, etc, a few months back if you are interested.
    Also, Car & Driver did an article about 6 months ago in which they looked at performance (acceleration times as well as mileage) in several vehicles using both regular and premium juice. Some of the results were a bit surprising.
    Finally, I had been putting premium in my wife's RX (every other Lexus I've owned used premium, so dumb*ss me just assumed........) until I happened to read octane requirements in her manual. I've seen no perceptible difference in performance nor any change in mileage.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    I logged on to carsdirect.com today, and checked the price for a RX300 at zipcode 91311 which is Chatsworth, CA north of Los Angeles. The MSRP for a FWD base car is $34,530 including freight. Invoice is $30,878. The CarsDirect price is $30,978. That is as close to invoice as I have ever seen a RX300 priced.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Yeah that is cheap...

But, that's also an RX that probably doesnt exist... I almost NEVER see Cloth/No Sunroof RXs...

See what a premium Pack one is worth.

Bill