Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• djasonwdjasonw Posts: 624
    First... let me answer Mr Sluggish. What you experiencing when the engine is cold is definitely normal. You should accelerate gently until the vehicle warms up. If I am not mistaken the transmission will not shift out of second or third until the engine has warmed to a certain level. That's why you feel the engine braking when you release the accelerator. Now.. regarding Lexus of Massapequa on Long Island. If you can swing it, shop at Ray Catena Lexus in Westchester. You'll get a better deal there and MUCH better customer service. Here's my story:

I went there last Saturday with a friend and since I have a 1999 RX, I wanted to trade and get a 2001. Trouble is, I have an existing lease which won't expire until the fall. I can end it early and lose a bit. Once the salesman found out what my intentions were he completely ignored me! He figured that there was no way I wanted to forfeit any money on the deal. I also mentioned the deals that Ray Catena was giving. This is the second sale they've lost because I went to them first when I originally leased my vehicle. They didn't have any in stock at the time but Ray Catena did. I strongly suggest you give Ray Catena a call as they deal in large volumes and will certainly negotiate.
  • tamim1tamim1 Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info about the cold engine. I've never had a car where it is so abrupt. Any thoughts about the high pitch sound when I accelerate or go at a constant speed..not present when I decelerate.
  • abbah1abbah1 Posts: 3
    I have a 01 RX300 with about a 1000 mi. on it, and less than a month old. Last Friday, the doors could not be unlocked with the remote part of the key. It was also noted that the daytime driving lights and side lights were not lit. Took it in to the dealer where purchased, and the said they have never seen this before. (of course we have all been told this) After 2 days in the shop, they said they took out the computer chips ( I do not know which ones) put them back in, and now everything works. HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM BEFORE? Other than this glitch, I (we) wife and I love the car.
  • tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    Had a similar experience! We test drove at Massapequa, but when it came down to the deal, they couldn't get the job done. I went through Priceline.com and Ray Catena Lexus met my price!
    Massapequa tried to undercut once push came to shove, but they didn't have the color I wanted. Not a single dealer has been willing to meet the price/color that I got from RC Lexus. I'm going to pick up the car Saturday. And RC in Larchmont is only 33 miles from Long Island, a pretty short ride to get a great deal.

And so far RC has offered to take care of everything, including interfacing with my insurance. I hope the service is just as good when I pick it up.

TC
  • djasonwdjasonw Posts: 624
    I did buy mine at RC Lexus in NJ but all their dealerships are top notch! You should have a GREAT experience in Westchester. Just to let you know, I have over 36k on mine and it has NEVER been to the dealer for service. I had routine maint performed at a reputable station I've been dealing with for years. Let me know how ya like it!
    Well get this... even though I'm buying from RC Westchester, I can throw a stone at RC Monmouth from my office window! It just kinda worked out that way... weird.

TC
  • mgdtymgdty Posts: 1
    had a similar problem on my 00. rear R door lost all power (doesn't lock/unlock door, roll up/down window). dealer took 3 days to diagnose the problem, even took apart the whole door (and put some scratches on the door which they later fixed). turned out it was one of the chips. don't remember which one it is now. but they replaced it and everything has been fine.
  • dniehusdniehus Posts: 83
    After considering the new small/mid-size SUV offerings, I am seriously considering buying a 1999 RX 300. A certified, pre-owned vehicle certainly is appealing. Of course, you appropriately pay for the peace of mind from the available warranty and the thorough going over by Lexus. But, is all that really necessary? Assuming the vehicle is as bullet proof as everyone says, should I be too worried about picking up an RX from a private sale or another dealer and save a couple thousand? In other words, any thoughts about the pro's and con's of the CPO program. Also, any reason to avoid buying a 1999 RX 300. Unfortunately my budget won't allow me to stretch to buy a 2001 RX 300. Had been comtemplating a Highlander. While I have not yet had a chance to see in person, the pricing is ridiculous and the styling seems questionable. Fully loaded you're talking almost $35,000! To keep it to $30,000 (expected price for a 1999 RX), I would have to make way too many compromises on the Highlander. Not sure why Toyota is so greedy. They're competing with Escapes and Tributes which fully loaded are listed out at $25,800.
  • I recently purchased a 2001 RX 300 AWD w/ the nav. value pkg & heated seats. When I spoke w/ the dealer (in Virginia Beach, Va), I stated that I also wanted the tow pkg. The dealer gave me a relatively good price on the vehicle he had on the lot (w/o the tow pkg) and stated that they would order the top pkg parts from Lexus and install them for me as part of my purchase price. When I called the dealer to check on the status of my parts, I was told by the service mgr that Lexus cannot install a tow pkg - it must be installed at the factory.

Has anyone else heard this? The dealer is quite nervous over a threatened fraud lawsuit at this point.
    Just my opinion:

What's great about companies like Lexus, MB, BMW, etc. is that they have a nationwide network that links all the service centers. What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's too much of a risk to buy private if you do two things:

1) Make sure that owner has documented that all scheduled maintenance has been performed. You need copies of all receipts.

2) Get the VIN number of the car you are interested in and take it to a Lexus service place. Ask the service manager to run it through the network to pull up any repairs or work orders that have been done.

Another upside is that I believe the warranty will transfer to a new owner.

TC
  • I have the same equip. on my 01
    Part of the transaction was the tow pkg. which the dealer instated that day at Lexus of Pleasanton in Calif.
    Very happy with the RX I have 2000 miles on in 3 weeks. Great in snow and ice I live at 6000 feet in the mountains and need awd to get home.
    The dealer is stroking you about the tow pkg
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Posts: 110
    My '00 RX has the tow hitch. It was installed by the dealer but is a genuine Lexus hitch. The cost is higher than an aftermarket hitch but if the dealer installs it, then the hitch and the wiring is covered by the new car warranty. I believe it was around $300.

Our car is still experiencing a resonating rumble at idle when in gear. If anyone has any ideas please post as the dealer has not been able to diagnose the problem. Thanks.
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    I was to get one on my "special order" RX. It didn't come with it and I was told they would get one at a good price since they often take them off of cars when people don't want a hitch. When I finally got them to quote me a price it was about $600 and they said that they never get all the parts from one they take off. Generally I have felt good about the dealer but this was not a good experience.
  • what mountains to you live in. If I had to guess by your elev it's in the sierras(or wasatch foothills). What kind of tires do you have and what have been your experiences at chain checkpoints? I live in AZ but plan on taking several road trips up to the sierras/wasatch later this winter, I've heard conflicting reports on what to expect at the checkpoints. I already took my rx up to SLC for a skiing but ran into no weather and the vehicle navigated the ski areas icy parking lots with no hint of a skid or even the tires spinning. So I'm not inclined at the moment to upgrade ny current Goodyear Integritys. I need your input, thanks.
  • I live in Modoc County N/E county in Calif. 20 miles s/w of Alturas, Calif. I put Pirelli Norseman snow tires on my 01 RX. I also have a suburban and a 97 ford f150 both 4X4s. The RX has the best traction on ice and snow then any 4X4 I have ever owned. I will mount my Bridgestones on mags and use them in the summer I have tried to break it lose on packed snow with little sucess.It is a great vehicle in snow and ice. The snow tires make the difference.
  • Does anyone know about any "hidden features" that the dealer can program on a '01 RX 300? My Audi was able to have the computer programmed to automatically lock the doors at 15 mph and unlock when turning off the engine. Any hidden features like this?
  • Found these pics on the internet...from what I've heard regarding the new grill and silver rather than wood interior accents, this sure does look like it might be the new special edition.

goto:

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2001/v2kmdl2273mult.html
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    What is the "thing" sitting on the left side of the top of the dash at the base of the A pillar?
    That "thing" is the left tweeter.

TC
  • mvs1mvs1 Posts: 462
    Usually at the end of a models' run before a redesign a manufactor puts out this "special edition" type of vehicles they offer no benefits over the existing model other than estetics. Although, this edition probably has the L-tuned suspension thats been talked about for awhile now. I beleave that the camry/es300 is due for a redesign in 2002. With the RX to follow shortly. Also to tonychrys Congrats on the new RX I know you'll like it I see that other RX owners have convinced you about this vehicle, sorry I didn't give you my +'s & -'s although I'm sure you'll have your own list very soon. Lastly you might want to change your user name to tonylexus!!