Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    "Something else I have discovered is that the service department and the sales department can seem to be from different worlds, even though they are working in the same dealership, sometimes just feet away from each other."

This is little known by a lot of consumers, but many dealers actually produce more profit from their service/parts departments than their new car sales! Both departments are run as independant business units. Dealers can actually take a "loss" on a new car sale if they think they'll make it up long term from the service and maintenance revenues on that car. This is why you'll usually get great treatment from the service departments.

"Something else that I have found very curious is that I have been taken right in on three different occasions. I have never expected it and don't expect it to occur on a regular basis, but the service manager has asked me if I would like to have my problem taken care of at that moment."

Again, this is what I love about Lexus service, the consistency! We had a Saturday appointment to bring our car in, so that we could talk to the Service Advisor about a few things. After he looked at the car and resolved what was going on, he looked us straight in the eye and said, "Anytime you have a question, problem or issue just bring it in when it suits you, no appointment necessary." I mean these folks go out of their way to make your life easier!

"Oh yes, and when I was leaving, he said that they were happy to have customers like me or they might not have much to do. He said that they were the "Maytag Repair Man" of the automobile industry. Even the mechanics are jokesters. Well I guess at least they are happy and they certainly don't seem to be under much stress.

Yup, it amazes me that even the 18-year old kid at the parts counter says, "yes, sir... no, sir... thanks for coming in... have a great day" These must be great places to work, because you can't fake that smile all day unless you are being paid lotsa $$$ to do so!

Yup, a good Lexus dealer is definitely a case study in all around customer service.

TC
  • avays1121avays1121 Member Posts: 2
    Please let me know if anyone purchased huskie floor mats for the RX300 and do they have the same lip as the cargo liner. Thanks
    Yup! Got both the front pair the 2nd row liner. Custom fit like a glove and will literally save your carpets during everyday abuse and bad weather. Highly recommended.

Do you have the cargo liner?
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Actually the RX was designed as a women's SUV I remember the first article I read(I'd have to dig it up to give the exact date & pub.) specified that many of the RX's traits were made to cater to the female driver. Such as the low step in height and the design of the center console and transmission lever placement. The space between the two is perfect for a pocket book. This does not in my opinion take away from the fact that this is an exceptional automobile. I personally do not need to drive an Expedition (Phallic symbol) to justify my dudeness :)
  • slee7slee7 Member Posts: 8
    I live in Chicago and I just test drove the RX300. Although it wasn't as big as the MDX or as powerful, it had a better ride and there is room for negotiation. So, how much should I pay? Is the Edmunds' quote accurate? Looking for a RX with the Nakamichi Audio Package with heated front seats, spoiler, cargo mat and accessory crossbars. Edmunds quotes $38,033. Any help would be appreciated, as well as any positive and negative experiences with the vehicle.
    I hope you get this message. I also live in Chicago, let me know if you find any good Lexus dealers and what kind of a deal you got. I'll be looking for your message, thanks.
    When I test drove the RX today, I definitely noticed a vibration from the steering wheel and a rattling noise when the heater was on. I just assumed that the cold weather was causing it. Is anyone in a warmer climate experiencing the same problem. The noise, vibration goes away as soon as I give it some gas. Thanks.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    Can some folks out there give me the prices they paid for extended Lexus warranties? I looked at the retail prices on the Lexus website, but am curious if I can expect to negotiate with the dealer.

On the vibration, I can comment that our '00 RX also has a vibration, actually more of a rumbling noise at idle as well. It also go away as soon as the vehicle starts to move. Dealer says stiff motor mounts during cold weather may be to blame but they have found no fix. It is very irritating especially when the radio is off. Passengers have commented that they thought a Lexus was supposed to be quieter. I sure hope Lexus figures out a fix. We are quite disappointed with their reaction so far.
  • rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    It is my understanding there is about a $500 charge to the dealers for advertising for each RX sold and this does not show up under the Edmunds pricing. In any case, this is what I am told.
  • bcjacob1bcjacob1 Member Posts: 39
    I brought my '01 RX 300 to the dealer to have the tow hitch installed. While waiting, I was flipping through some of the service info and noticed their oil changes cost $54.99. (in Virginia Beach), Va. When I asked the svc writer if that price was correct, she said it was. What's up w/ this? An oil change from the dealer for my '00 Acura TL is only $19.95.
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    Were you the the one upset by the dealer's hassle of installing the tow hitch after purchase. If So, you were able to get the tow hitch installed by C. Barker. I didn't understand this when it was posted, because the dealer installed mine prior to me picking the vehicle up.
    As for the oil change, the labor rate is something like $65/hour plus $12 (something) filter plus $2/qt oil. Bingo, bango, all of a sudden you're taken for a $55 oil change. The service department at VA. Beach is why I went to Richmond. Although the prices are all the same at Lexus service. Some people have had good experiences with taking their Lexus vehicles to a Toyota dealer instead. Plus parts are cheaper there too.
  • oakster21oakster21 Member Posts: 3
    Yes my 2001 has a steering wheel vibration at about 750 RPM. Most noticable in Neutral and Park, really not a factor in drive. I don't think it's a cold weather issue. I've driven several GM cars over the years so I can't say that it bothers me very much. I'll bring it up to the dealer at my first service but I'm not expecting a miracle fix as I see that several others have this issue as well. Everything else about the car is flawless IMHO.

As for the advertising fee, it's actually $446. It appears right on the cars factory invoice.
  • avays1121avays1121 Member Posts: 2
    YES, I HAVE THE CARGO LINER, AND I REALLY LIKE IT. MY ONLY CONCERN IS THAT THE LINER HAS A LIP AROUND THE EDGES, IT'S FINE FOR THE CARG0, BUT DO THE FLOOR MATS ALSO HAVE A LIP OR ARE THEY FLAT. IF THEY DO HAVE A LIP IS IT EASY TO GET IN AND GET OUT OF THE CAR. THANKS.
    It is absolutley easy to get in and out! They do have a lip (to catch all the nasty stuff), but the whole mat is custome molded to fit the contours of the vehicle floor and structures. They fit absolutely perfectly once you tweak them into postion, and they stay put because of the custom design.

While they do not look "nice" like carpet, I really recommend you get them. You won't be dissapointed.
    "When I test drove the RX today, I definitely noticed a vibration from the steering wheel and a rattling noise when the heater was on. "

I've test driven enough RX300s to tell you this shouldn't happen. Period. The car you drove had something wrong. Try another. HVAC fans in all cars are notorious for rattling noises if they are loose or binding on something.

My vehicle is dead quiet at idle. Except for the fuel injectors clicking which my ears pick up. And when it drives there are no loose rattle sounds.
  • kingscreekkingscreek Member Posts: 37
    As I stated earlier, for me the differences in the services departments have been slight, so you really can't go wrong with any of them. I purchased my car at Hennessy of Gwinnett. I liked Michael Caldwell, and I believe he runs the internet department as well. He really knows a lot about cars and he used to be an engineer (like TC), which gives him an analytical approach to cars that I find refreshing. He can go into as much detail about any type of car that you might be interested in (even other than Lexus). He is just a really nice guy.
    The Hennessy service department is wonderful and everyone is very supportive, and I liked the one in Gwinnett and the one on Peachtree Industrial. The dealership I mentioned that is closer to me is Nalley on Mansell in Roswell. I know I am putting a sneer on GT's face right now, but they have this great cappaccino/espresso machine and a digital television with full cable and movie channels. They have great food and comfortable chairs. While my car was being repaired, the service advisor came to check on me and make certain I didn't need anything.

They are all so similar that it truly is a toss up and I would just go to the one that is closer. I have never had a bad experience.
    I have noticed more rattling and vibration comments lately, to the point that I wondered if I have overlooked some sounds. For the last few days I have turned off the music and tried to listen for any strange noises. I have not been able to notice anything. I don't think sounds are a common problem for the RX, and if the sound is loud enough for you to hear it, something must be wrong. The engine is so quiet when running, that you can hear every whisper of air. Once, I forgot that I even had the engine on - that is how quiet mine is.

I have a couple of other points I thought might be of interest to anyone considering the RX. I have not had any trouble with the turning radius. I think the 2001s may have improved from the previous years, for I certainly used to hear about this in the past. I also was afraid that it would be too small for my family when traveling and this has not been the case at all. You are going to be surprised at how much luggage will fit into the back. It is amazingly deceptive.

I also have to disagree with anyone who thinks the RX looks like a car for women, which of course is about the worst thing that anyone could say to any man. The major form of proof offered up is that the space between the front seats is meant for a purse. How ridiculous is that? You know, men not supposed to like things that are refined, for refined is not rugged enough for the critics. All I can say is that men certainly try to keep each other in check, and are almost mean with each other sometimes. I have looked at men driving the RX and it just doesn't look strange to me, but if you are going to fall for this form of male propaganda, then you are being just as silly as they are.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....and the long delay in having it established, but I am here to announce the new RX-300 Owners club on the Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. When you have an opportunity, please introduce yourself in the Meet the Members discussion and let me know how I can help your club grow.

I have linked this discussion to the RX-300 club folder, but it will always reside here in SUVs.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Turning radius: I'll be the first one to admit it's worse than other similar vehicles in its class. It doesn't mean it's bad, regular handling is fine, but I can't pull those one-point u-turns in the street anymore. It's still 41.3 feet, just like previous years. This probably won't change until the redesign (see my previous posts).

Yea, certain colors on this car make it look different ways. I got black, and it don't look girly, it looks sophisticated and cool. My wife wanted the white one which is very "pretty" and probably the most popular color with women from what I've seen. My second color choice was the gold, but we just got rid of a gold Pathfinder and our other car is gold. We wanted something different.

I'm also working on some practical "mods" for the spring (and no, I'm not going to slap fake fender flares on it to make it look like something it ain't), I'll try to post pics once everything is done. I think you'll like it, and it won't look girly.
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    I have a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab V-10(7-9 MPG)

It is a miserable beast.

I much prefer driving our WHITE PEARL Rx.

I'm a pretty secure guy but can't accept the minivan we should have.
    "I have a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab V-10(7-9 MPG) It is a miserable beast."

Yea, but I bet it squashes Hyundai Accents real nice .
    Mere speed bumps.
  • spakcharspakchar Member Posts: 37
    I'm a single guy and women love my RX. Definitely, not a bad thing. Francine, my current squeeze, would live in it if it had plumbing, she's nuts about the heated seats. BTW, mine is silver with black leather interior. I've been told it's an elegant combination, understated not flashy. Does anybody have any experience with the black interior and strong summer sunlight? I'm a little concerned about that, I live in az.
    I'm in AZ too. TINT!
    Window tint should be mandatory here. Besides the obvious front windows, have a light tint put on the factory tinted side and rear ones.
    The factory tint darkens the glass but still lets in the heat and UV rays which a film cut out.
    It will make a huge difference.
    Have the moonroof done too.
  • cattmanducattmandu Member Posts: 12
    ... guy at the local Lexus store told me the upcoming Silver Sport Edition is in response to just these allegations... an effort to 'butch-up' and attract more male sales...
    Yup, women do love the RX. When we brought it home, my next-door-single-female-neighbor says to me, "Wow, beautiful car. I mean REALLY nice car. Wow"

It's a good thing I love my wife. ;-)
    You're lucky it didn't have one of those camping package tents like on an Aztek.
    Imagine telling your kids one day, they were conceived in an Azzztek?

Talk about traumatizing the kid....
  • ahuiahui Member Posts: 15
    Sam, I am going to pick up a 2001 RX300 from McGrath Lexus in Westmont Saturday night for an extended test drive. This will allow me to make sure it fits in the garage and have some quality time with the car without being rushed. The salesman has been very helpful and went out of his way to set this up. The dealership is also pretty impressive looking. I am not sure if the quality of the experience goes beyond skin deep yet. I'll let you know. I don't have to return it until Sunday night.
    Hey, sorry about divulging what the space in the front is for. It was not a form of proof I was merely stating what was said in previous articles and how the RX was initially targeted for women. I've followed the RX since the concept car was introduced. You "guys" have forced me to look for the RX write up (It may take me some time though). And yes mine is golden pearl (white), my ES300 was also white. My girlfriend also loves it and my child was conceived in the back, those seats sure do fold flat :)
  • plumbstarplumbstar Member Posts: 12
    I have read in the owners manual that tinting the driver & passenger windows can affect the accuracy of the Nav. system. Does anyone have any info on this? How about a roof mounted GPS antenna.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    I received a call today from the General Manager of my Lexus dealer. He called in response to the letter I wrote concerning the noise in our RX at idle. Basically, he indicated they do not know what to do as they cannot find the cause. I told him I was trying to find another RX owner who might have experienced the same problem and was able to find a fix. If anyone can help, please post or email me at rmorin@erols.com. My noise is a reverberating rumble when the vehicle is idling but only when in drive or reverse. Noise stops when transmission is in Park or Neutral. Would really appreciate any help.
    "Hey, sorry about divulging what the space in the front is for. "

Actually, know what I find that space (right in front of the center console) is great for? Hot take out food, especially chinese food and soups. I'm usually able to wedge a tall bag there and it doesn't tip over while driving home.
  • rx2000rx2000 Member Posts: 11
    Rmorin2

I have the same problem that you have. The vibration is only happen when in D/L or R. No vibration/noise when it is P or N. My RX is 2000 AWD with LSD.

No dealer is able to fix it yet. I thought that I was alone on this problem.
  • gtmustanggtmustang Member Posts: 41
    I was in the area so I just dropped in to say hi to everyone. How has your RX300's been treating you? I hope everyone is happy with their vehicles. I know I am.
    Please know that I was not referring to your post when I mentioned the proof offered up that the RX is a "girlie mon" vehicle. I realize that you were not agreeing with that statement. I have read this purse opinion before, as have many others I would bet. I just think it is very strange that this is the defining characteristic that helps some make this assumption about the RX. Honestly, if you think about it, doesn't it sound crazy?

I have had one other thought about this characterization and the fact that many men have been cornered into having to defend their choice of the RX. What do you think a woman's response would be if you told her she was driving a masculine vehicle? I think she would feel a little proud. Women have a lot more leeway in our society to move outside of the box. You see it even in children. I have heard parents often speak with pride about their little "tomboy". I have seen girls that dress like boys constantly and no one thinks anything about it. I have seen wives that call or see their mother every day, but would not accept this behavior from their husbands. I know I am preaching here, but I think it is a shame that men are treated so unfairly in this regard.

On another subject, did any of you put the spoiler on your RX? I have really liked mine, however useless it might be. As I parked next to another RX today, I looked at them both and I think the spoiler gives the visual impression of more length and a smoother line.
  • rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    I owned an ES300 which was having an intermittent problem. My dealer repaired it numerous times, yet the problem returned. An out of state engineer from Lexus was called in and reviewed the situation. Although the problem returned again, the persistence of the dealer finally solved the problem. The dealer did everything possible.
  • dleungnycdleungnyc Member Posts: 41
    I don't own a Lexus, just a Toyota, same thing I guess. 8). But anyway, I also had the vibration at idle problem, the cause was a compression issue. In my case, a clogged PCV valve was the culpit. Hope this helps or at least give you guys some ideas on what to look for. Good luck.
    "On another subject, did any of you put the spoiler on your RX?"

I didn't think you could find one without it. Seriously. Almost every RX I've seen on a dealer lot in the NY/NJ area has the rear spoiler.

Now, you're not talking about the hatchback spoiler that can be specially ordered from Japan, are you?

• detectivedetective Member Posts: 10
    Hi guys. I have not posted anything on this site before but I have followed it for a long time now. I feel like I know TC, Kingscreek and many others who post here regularly. I have gotten a kick out of the ongoing battle with gtmustang.

Anyway, I own a 94 ES300 and have been pleased with it. I have decided to buy an RX w/Nav & rear spoiler. My question is, does anyone have an opinion of how the RX would look with chrome running boards/bars? Any pictures of them?
    I thought about chrome/black acessories (the two most available accesory colors) before I bought my RX, that's why I narrow my choices down to Gold (looks good with black stuff) or Black (looks good with both black AND chrome stuff).

I have yet to find running boards for the RX, if you know of a source I'd love to hear it. You can get side-step tubes. I'm trying not to divulge too much of my "RX Spring time project" but here is a photo of a possible choices for side-step tubes in chrome and black:

Because of the low step-in height, running boards aren't really necessary, but they can be a great help when loading and unloading stuff on the roof rack. I will probably put something on my vehicle for this reason and so that my 3 year old can get in and out on his own.

TC

• detectivedetective Member Posts: 10
    TC, thanks for the pictures. Where did you find them? (website?) I plan to buy a gold RX. Which color tubes do you think would look better with that color, Chrome or Black?
  • malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    Tony,

Lexus makes custom running boards for the RX 300 (they have them for the '00; they should fit the '01 as well) I've seen them at Chicago land dealerships (Bredeman's Lexus 847-729-6000). I have a black side bars by WAG, similar to the picture you posted. It really gives it a slick and a wider look. I also have the front brush guards, also by WAG, which gives a it a masculine look.
    detective Mar 2, 2001 8:27am

Manik makes those side-step tubes. These tubes are not my first choice though.
    www.manik.com

I like the WAAGs and those will be my choice.
    www.waag.com
    Nice link, thanks!
    I have yet to see RB photos, even from Lexus Corporate. I'll do some digging, thanks!

WRT brush guards, I'll offer my opinion but please don't take it personally. I think they are silly on any SUV unless you truly intend to take it into the brush. Also, if you look at the body lines of the RX300, a full brush guard doesn't really offer any additional protection around the headlamp area in case of a street incident. Plus the grille is in the headlamp path (does it cast shadows?).

I'm going for an A-bar to provide protection against slight vehicle bumps

I'll probably throw on the WAAG rear bumper guard also.
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    Hello all. I am in the process of pricing an RX300 and I wonder how price this looks to you folks:

Indigo/Ivory 4WD, Nav System Value Pkg with cargo mats, Accessory Crossbars, Wheel locks.
    MSRP (per Lexus web site) = 42601.00
    Dealer put in writing = 38300.00 +Tax, "fees" (I haven't asked what fees as yet)

I also understand that the Goodyears' are not the tire of choice, however this dealer will not change them over to the Michelin CT's, what is the general consensus on the OEM Bridgestones?

If I do not get the chrome Lexus wheels, can I have the OEM wheels chromed? if so, what should it cost?

Is the gold kit an aftermarket item or is it Lexus only?
  • lacarguylacarguy Member Posts: 9
    Hi everyone
    I have been enjoying this site since the first of the year. It's become one of the site I got to everyday. It is very informative and interesting. I have been a loyal Honda Accord owner. But when I went to the LA auto show I fell in love with the Lexus Rx300.
    I am very serious about buying a new rx. But I have no point of reference on the everyday costs of owning a luxury vehicle since both me and my wife both have Honda Accords. Can someone help advise me. I want to buy a '01 or '02 RX with 2wd. I was able to get the purchase costs via Edmunds. I was just wondering about regular maintenenace such as oil changes, tune-ups or even gas and insurance costs for a luxury suv. If all possiable I would like to fit it in the budget. I've been spoiled for so long with my Accord by just doing oil changes and annual minor stuff. Thanks for any of your input you can give me.
    Thanks
    lacarguy
    After some intensive research, about 5 minutes found some info so here goes:

"Though the console contains two clever slide-out drawers, it doesn't extend to meet the dash; instead there's a space on the floor, between the dash and console, perfectly made to hold m' lady's purse. It was a point appreciated by at least one woman who drove our test vehicle, and perhaps says something about who Lexus officals expect to favor the RX 300." Bohr, Peter. Open Road. Sept. 1998.

This site states info pertaining to demographics. 45% female, 55% male. The next page has more on "That Space"

http://www.womanmotorist.com/review/lexus/jb:lexus-rx300.shtml

Also Tony you might like this site, it shows the RX concept (SLV) and the rear wing, simular to your pic.

http://www.fadmag.com/autostyl/lexusnewsp2.html

Kingscreek sorry for being so anal, but I read alot and don't always have the source ready, and we know how RX owners need facts, documentation, etc. The purse statement is sort of crazy, I was merely stating what I read. I also agree with your opinion about the way society views males. Though I think its more of a generational thing. I've never had to defend my choice of vehicle.

That space is also good for a six pack :)

• salimshah2salimshah2 Member Posts: 2