Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will estimate parts and labor costs for each service, localized to your area. Then you can take the print out to the dealer and see what they say :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Does anyone feel that for some reason the RX is especially hard on wiper blades?? My wife's RX (SHE WHO KNOWS AND MUST BE OBEYED) requires replacement (to prevent chattering) of the driver's side blade more often than any car I've ever owned. I can clean the blade when this starts and get a few minutes (per each cleaning) of silent operation and then, there it is, that sound as annoying as fingernails on a blackboard.

Not my vehicle most of the time, but my mood gets very nasty (and ya'll know ah'm one 'a them southerners, so we're talkin' wantin' to kick some *ss) indeed when I have to drive or ride in said circumstance. Any suggestions? (And, oh, doesn't that leave me wide open........)
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Well, not sure I can be of much help here, but...

I NEVER go to Lexus for replacement blades.

I just put the new PIAA wipers on both my 99 and 2001 911s but too early to give a report.

senior moment here.

Couldn't remember the exact name so I had to skip back over to the net and do a search.

Bosch micro edge excel wiper blades.

Used the plain micro edge until the advent of the excel but both of these have given me good service and served me WELL here in the Great (WET) Pacific Northwest. Arkansas should be a piece of cake.

Damn, Doctor, you can't come to my dinner in Memphis and I can't have dinner with Bill here in Seattle if I'm in Memphis..
    Anyone besides me ever notice that in rain with the wipers on high speed the RX "ROCKS"?
  • mvs1mvs1 Posts: 462
    Of this story that one of my old professors told me. He happens to be the one in charge of creating the pilot program for driver profiling, here in CT, don't know yet if it's nation wide.

Well, a senator in a state had her windshield cracked by a rock kicker up from an 18 wheeler. So she lobbied for the mud flaps on 18 wheelers in her state to be of a size larger than is currently used. Then the argument was brought up on how the truck drivers would have to enter her state only, pull into a stop, and change their flaps to meet state requirements. Needless to say she lost. SO, about the Nav Willy........
  • mvs1mvs1 Posts: 462
    No need for them on my RX, with the windshield removed.....

Ravl, if you sell any cars in the future please get the name of the cookie supplier Lexus uses. Oh, how I remember that July afternoon back in 99' yummmmmmm.
    US senator from Washington State.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Next time.. would you prefer the truth or what you want to hear?

Its a legit charge.. dealer makes not one red cent on it. Yell at Lexus, not the dealer..

Bill
    I assume you're responding to my statement about advertising fees.

Yes, if that's what you say I have no doubt that the Lexus dealers religiously, under pain of death, send off a check to Lexus Corporate each month accounting for each and every penny they collected as ad fees.

And I'll even take your word for it, in advance, that the dealer's don't profit from this in any way, not even as a portion of the rebate check they get each quarter for helping fill the corporate coffers with HUGE profits.
  • kmhkmh Posts: 143
    You could try but I don't your wiper blades will be covered under warranty. If you've had them for over a year, it's probably not a bad idea to change them out anyway, IMHO.

I made the mistake a while back when at a car wash, I sprayed the windshield during the "waxing" portion. The very next time I needed to wipe the windshield in the rain, the wipers bounced and skipped all over the window. So, I wiped down the windshield afterward with a good glass cleaner and replaced the blades and, viola, smooth wipes. :-)
    God made me do it!
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    Hope He/She's not a deer in Willard's neighborhood this month.
  • outrunoutrun Posts: 539
    I had a '98 Volvo S70 T5 and it's wiper blades went bad at about 5k miles. They changed them out free of charge with no questions asked.

Then a blinker bulb went out in the front at about 7k miles. I went into the dealership just to get to the service department. My salesman saw me and asked what was up. Told him the bulb went out. He himself went to the service department, grabbed a bulb, went out to my car, and changed it for me.

Nice service up until that point. About a year later, I started getting severe fogging of the windsheild and that nice maple syrup smell. Obvious heater coil problem. They tried to fix it 3 times without success, not once listening to my diagnosis. Ended up trading it in on a '99 Acura TL (actually more fun than the T5), which then got traded in for our '01 RX (now the wife's car).

-Craig
  • outrunoutrun Posts: 539
    Willy,

While you're kissing up to the senator, why don't you also recommend that the speedometer and tachometer be blacked out while accelerating, since those swinging needles, which are even in a more visible place than the DVD Nav screen, are much more of a distraction.

Better yet, just eliminate them entirely. If you actually NEED a speedometer to see how fast you're going, you're probably going too fast. And who needs a tach with an auto, anyways?

And a rear view mirror? Who the hell needs to see what they've just seen in front of them! Side mirrors? They only cause wind noise and lower MPG on the highway.

Go Willy Go!

But, you'd like a constantly updating screen with inside and outside temperature, MPG, miles left, current fan speed, how much weight is on the front seat, etc. on the DVD Nav screen in BIG BOLD TYPE (just like the non-Nav), but a map indication where you are is distracting.

Is anyone else confused by this?

-Craig
  • mvs1, I thought about that, but it's HER car and she says it messes up her hair, plus we have lots of bugs in Arkansas.

kmh, I know it's not a warranty issue and expect wear. Problem is, I can replace the blade and within an hour of total use, it's chattering again. Passenger side, you ask?? Nay, I say. No problems there. No RainX on front glass, no wax, nada. As I mentioned, I can clean the blade and it's ok for a few minutes. Just wondered if anyone else was experiencing this sort of situation.

Willard, thanks for the head up on Bosch and PIAA. One of those is my next step. Either that, or I'll just drive backwards everywhere, and use the rear wiper.
  • kmhkmh Posts: 143
    I was actually replying to gsenthil's posting and somehow missed your response... my bad.

As for your situation, I'm beleaguered. I wouldn't know why you get the chatter on the driver's side and not the passengers. hmmm.
  • 1. What are the accessory crossbars for? Are these the ones on the roof? I read in the brochure that Lexus recommends you not carry luggage on the roof - what are these bars for then (if they are indeed the ones on the roof).

2. Anyone driving theirs with 2 toddlers? Have enough room?

3. Not sold on the chrome wheels. (Already confused enough about all the tire talk here - so let's skip that.) What's so great about chrome wheels?

Thanks for helpful replies.

Dorothy
  • How much over invoice have you paid for your RX?

Wondering if we'll get laughed out of the joint if we suggest $500-$700 over invoice.
  • srr3306srr3306 Posts: 12
    The manual has two service schedules: Light duty and heavy duty. If you are not towing or doing many short trips in extreme weather, insist on the light duty schedule which is way less expensive. I believe the 30K service includes changing driveline fluids, if this was done at 15K, you may not have to do it now. This is about $150 alone.
    It's a guy thang.

Ever notice a male peacock vs a peahen?

Mooretorque,

My wife says as soon as I get off the plane in Memphis I start picking up a southern accent, just tuning up. Have you tried replacing the entire driver's side wiper arm?