Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• cc2718cc2718 Posts: 18
    They moved the production location. I won't buy rx330 for the same reason I won't buy MDX.
  • xsfoxsfo Posts: 17
    cc2718:
    Just wondering what you had in mind since you wreen't considering the RX330 or MDX. An Aztek perhaps?
  • rparisrparis Posts: 368
    Everya few months I use Glass Wax and think the windows come out really clean. You have to be careful to wipe off all the residue. I have never noticed a problem with build up. I also take a little soap and water and wipe down the wiper blades every so often.

I dirve a 2001 and thinkl the standard radio that comes with the vehcile is great especially when listening to cds. Would an upgraded radio really be worth the extra money??
  • rparis, I wouldn't, at this point, change out your headunit, but upgrading speakers would yield a far more audible improvement, as well as be (generally) cheaper.

Try Polk Audio or MBQuart (sp?); might also check on the Audio forum at ClubLexus.com. Lots of very knowledgeable folks there. (Haven't looked to see what's here on Edmunds but I'm sure there's a ton of good info here, too.)

Bottom line is that distortion levels (you pick whatever measurement you want) in electronics are in the range of one or two ten-thousandths of a percent, whereas distortion levels for speakers are literally thousands of times greater (woofer, for instance, can easily produce THD levels of 10-15%), so changing the speakers is ALWAYS the more effective upgrade!!
  • cc2718, do you know the reason why X5, ML and MDX are all made in US or Canada? Let me share it with you assuming you don't know it. Trucks(or minivans like ML which claims it is actually an SUV(truck)) are tariffed at 25% when imported. While cars are only tariffed at less than 5%. That is one reason why bigger Sequoia is cheaper than smaller Land Cruiser. And that is the only reason why GM and Ford trucks are not crushed by Japanese imports like their cars are crushed right now. And that is the reason why someone could make such kind of claims like Japanses has better cars but American has better trucks.

Granted, American auto lost their credit among many informed customers. And after I read the California judge's comment on the Ford Bronco rollover lawsuit, I swear to myself that I will never buy a Ford in my life. (He said Ford's behavior is despicable as Ford knows the Bronco's high rollover risk in the beginning.)

But, I am sure that you are like me, who want to support common American workers whenever it is reasonable and possible. Actually there is a way when shopping for a car or SUV. That is buy non-domestic brand but manufactured in US. That way, a small percent of profit goes to Mr.Toyota instead of 50% goes to Mr. Ford(who is rich and despicable). But those non-unionized people outside Michigan get their hard earned money too.

I think RS330 would be made in US is a good thing. Granted this will be the first Lexus not made in Japan. But I don't think the quality would be any different. Remember, the supervisors would probably be all Japanese ;-) And the price would be dropped too, just like the new Acura TL vs. the old Janapese made TL. Unless of course, I too will be upsetted if the 20% saving is not reflected on the price but straight into Mr. Toyota's pocket.
  • May I say that Toyota's founder's last name is TOYODA?
    Also, look at the quality of MB ML, & BMW X5, I am really concerned about the quality of the future build in America RX330.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Both the X5 and the ML have had some quality problems, some serious and some just simply niggling. Unless I've missed a few it seems to me that most of the problems I have read about had to do with design aspects or manufacturing design choices.

Both functions that are performed on the manufacturers home turf.
  • tariktarik Posts: 344
    Another important factor in quality is the workforce's skill level. The person who is responsible for the assembly quality of a car has a great influence on how it turns out. Although designs, production methods, and procedures must always be considered, BMW's initial quality issues were mainly caused by their overrated but underqualified workforce.

Everybody here is certainly proud to work at "the factory", but BMW paid dearly for this gamble.

Not a "home based function" of the foreign manufacturer...
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    Quality in domestic manufacture also has a lot to do with the company's ability to manage domestic suppliers. That has been/is the Achilles heel of the MB M-class. Good design, lackluster execution. A new plant and new employees, subcontracted work to scores of domestic suppliers that made bad window switches and other sources of annoying quality issues. MB defenders have been quick to point out "supplier problems" but that doesn't help the buyer who a complete vehicle. There were also some "design choices" that victimized the M-class as well (e.g. the fuel pump design).

Meanwhile, Toyota appears to have performed an excellent job managing domestic suppliers. While I don't think that a Lexus made here will necessarily be at the level of a Japanese-made Lexus, I don't think it'll be that far behind either.
  • My Mom has an ES 300 in Florida. Since she bought it in MN it has brackets for a front plate even though Florida has none.

I saw a Mercedes with a fabulous silver plate with their logo on it. Lexus says they do not make a similar plate.

Any suggestions on where I can find a simple elegant front plate for a Lexus? I would love a silver plate with the Lexus logo on it. I am not interested in the plastic vanity plates that you see on some cars.

Thanks
  • fantomfantom Posts: 211
    For a better looking and less expensive solution to the holes in your Mom's front bumper check out:

bumperplugs.com

They sell painted plugs for many cars that look great. I've used them several times, with total satisfaction.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,956
    I love the "exact factory match" stuff on pages like the bumper plug guys. You can go to most any truck canopy store, and for the right price, have your bugshield, canopy, wheels, trailer, mother-in-law or whatever painted to match your car. The colors are all coded from the factory and all the paint reps fight to install their company's fancy "computer" gizmos that mix the paint per the factory code in the accessory stores. It's almost hard not to get an exact match these days if you have any painting experience at all.

For the best deal, drop off your roof racks or whatever with them and tell them to paint them when they do a canopy in the right color.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• kmhkmh Posts: 143
    I cannot say for a fact, but try checking out eBay with a search for plates. Somebody's bound to sell what you're looking for.

My dealership put on their own Lexus license plate holders that I find tastefully done.
  • Hi,

Can I still buy a new RX300 in April 2003 or Lexus will only make RX330 at that time?

Thanks
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    A Lexus dealer told me I have until the end of March to order a 2003 RX300. I have not seen that in writing anywhere like a Lexus website.
  • fantomfantom Posts: 211
    Anyone else notice nicks in the side pillar from the driver side seat buckle? My wife has a habit of unbuckling and just letting the belt fly back, rather than easing it back with her hand.

Guess this isn't covered under warranty ;-)
  • I am 6'2" and have the same issue. I have a 2002 and can't for the life of me figure out what it is for.It is above the emergency brake, and the pedal does not go down that far. Actually started to develop an aching knee until I did a lot of seat adjustments.

I have a friend who has a 2000 and there is a 3" difference between the models. Enough leg room without seat adjustments. If you find a solution let me know.
  • My 1999 Rx 300 (Lexus) with 40,000 doesn't seem to know
    what gear to go to when I first take off in the morning. It gets up
    to around 35 mph and hangs there. I keep looking down to see
    if I have it in drive instead of 1 or 2. I have taken to the dealer two
    times and both times they tell me thats the way the 99 Rx 300's
    are? They said it was set up that way for the engine to warm up?
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    My '99 has done this since day one. It was distracting at first but now I don't even notice it and it doesn't cause any problems.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    My 01 AWD RX300 doesn't lock up the torque converter for a period of time when I start it up "cold". I have heard that is so the tranx fluid will warm up quicker or it may even be to "fire off" the catalytic converter quicker.
  • pmhtvpmhtv Posts: 33
    It is normal operation for the RX transmission to hold onto gears longer when it is cold - although somewhat annoying, this allows the fluids to warm more quickly and also reduces emissions.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    My answer in post #6234 is wrong. I went back and looked at my notes, and the Lexus dealer told me that I could order a 2003 RX300 through the end of January for delivery prior to the introduction of the 2004 RX330 this spring. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Thanks for the info.
  • I have been searching for a 2003 FWD RX300 with Premium value package. Most dealers quote 36K+ Tax and tag
    I really appreciate for any info about the price and a dealer has a better deal. I live in Maryland and don't mind to pick up a car within 500 miles.

Thank you
  • clee4clee4 Posts: 103
    Tink Doyle with Lexus of Richmond was great to deal with when I bought my 01.
  • pdswaypdsway Posts: 14
    Hi...

I had good luck (and service) with Lexus of Rockville, on Rockville Pike just before you get to Gaithersburg. I used an internet service (carorder.com) for my 2k AWD RX300 they seemed happy to deal with internet services and pricing.

PDS
  • AAA buys a lot of cars every month. They have a lot of purchasing power. I told them exactly what I wanted (color, extras) and they saved me a lot of money. You can pick the car up at the local AAA office. You should check it out.
  • pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    The U.S. MSRP of the new GX 470 has been set at $45,500. Here is a link to the full article:

GX 470

Pete

• slow43slow43 Posts: 31
    I am thinking of bidding for a 1999 Rx300 on Ebay? Any pearls of wisdom, do(s) or don't(s) would be greatly appreciated.

How does the RX300 run with 87 octane vs. a higher octane?

Thanks in Advance, Slow43
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    I switched between 87 and 91 and couldn't find anything different myself, MPG, acceleration, smoothness, etc. The owner's manual says to use premium gas "for improved vehicle performance...".
    I've also been comparing 87 and 91 on 02 QX4, 96 Maxima and 94 Altima. To me no difference.