Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    You let Lexus of Bellevue TOUCH your brake system? Needlessly?

Be sure and drive carefully, very carefully, the next 50-100k miles.

Other than the needless change of brake fluid I see about $25 worth of work (gofer rates) in your list.
    I could "track" my 01 C4 under Porsche club rules were I willing to drain and replenish my brake fluid every two years. No thanks, I'll play it safe and then simply rent the damn track if I want some thrills.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    Willard,
    It appears that Nissan has been listening to your advice. My wife and I looked at a new Nissan Murano this weekend, and 18" wheels and tires are standard. They claim in the AWD version that 50% of the traction is directed towards the rear wheels in some situations. The V6 has 245 horsepower and highway mileage is 24 Vs 22 for the RX300. The car is still built in Kyushu, Japan, the same city where the RX300 is built. The 2004 RX330 is supposed to be built in Canada, so I feel the paint quality will be diminished as the environmental laws are stricter in Canada.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Posts: 154
    was recommended by Lexus not the dealer. I had to get it done and dont know how to do it myself and Toyota wanted more for it than Lexus- and hence Bellevue Lexus got the honors

I am pretty satisfied with their service so far and I think you should give them a fair chance too and not base your judgement based on your experience in 92. We all make mistakes.

I am pretty sure I have paid for the dealers kids education, but not as much as others or elsewhere and hence my satisfation.

Did some google search and some people seem to advice changing brake fluids every 2 yrs just like 5k oil changes. I havent formed an opinion on this yet.
    Lexus of Bellevue..

Added the Mobil 1 I supplied without first draining the old oil.

Service manager told me, argued with me, that the 00 GS300 I was complaining about the tip-in throttle surge had an e-throttle. This after I had just explained that I had already removed most of the backlash from the throttle cable from the footfeed to the intake.

Bought a new 00 AWD RX from them in early 00 and took it in for first oil change, service writer lefy me standing saying "wait here just a moment, I'll be right back". He wasn't really very long but when he came back he was carrying a rear bumper rubber step guard which he wanted to sell me. If I turn down this sale will I still get good service?

I opted "out".
  • Are the Murano and RX300 really built in the same city? Kyushu is the southernmost island of the "main" 4 islands of Japan, and the cities could be far apart culturally. The folks in Beppu (north part of the island) don't necessarily have the same attitude and work ethic as the folks in Kagoshima (south part of the island). I don't know which city either car is made in. Got more details? Is the Highlander built in the same factory as the RX300?
  • cdnrxcdnrx Posts: 4
    This is my first post to this site. Turned in our 99 MB ML 430 and purchased a 2002 RX 300. Love the RX but have experienced a strange wandering sensation when driving both city and highway. I read some postings that relate to pulling or alignment problems, however what we are sensing is a vague, numb or dead sensation on the steering wheel as if the car is floating. I know this sounds nuts, but I can not describe it any other way. Is it a characteristic of this vehicle. Does it require constant correction to keep it tracking. I can tell you that the steering is more sensitive than our ML, and maybe we need to adjust but something feels wrong. I also own a 2002 GMC Yukon Denali, and although it is a totally different vehicle than the RX, it tracks very strait with very little correction to keep it in line. Dealer as expected claims vehicle drives to Lexus specifications. Any comments ????
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I'm not sure how constructive it is to speculate on relative degrees of worth ethic in various regions.

tidester, host
  • rlui1rlui1 Posts: 93
    I feel that floating sensation when traveling on very smooth pavement. I attribute it to how smooth the RX rides. You can't feel the road as you can with a German vehicle.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    How about the area under the door handle scratched up by jewelry?
    The local Costco quotes $130 for the 235s, while TireRack has them for $85. Even with shipping the cost for 5 tires shipped is $480, and Costco would mount them for $9 each ie, $45 for all 5 wheels. I am looking at a total of $525 installed.

OnlineTires has them for $70 each so should be about $450 for 5 tires. Has anyone tried them yet?

According to their (Costco) compatibility guide (some Bridgestone software) they said I could also upsize to 235 or 255/65 but the guy said the 255 would rub while turning because of the width. I am gonna try another Costco to see if they will install the 255s for me. Unfortunately the 245 is not an option :(

It seems Costco is going to have a similar promotion like earlier in Jan again but TireRack's price is too tempting. I will go to the local Discount Tire and see if they will trade in my old tires AND pricematch.
  • cdnrx, what tires are on your RX?? OEM is from both Goodyear and Bridgestone. The Goodyear Integrity is a limp noodle of a tire that has two advantages: cheap and quiet. But it has very poor road feel and rolls over like an old dog thanks to flaccid sidewalls. There have been tracking/pulling issues in the past that ONLY corrected when the tires were replaced (and I am one of those owners). Almost ANYthing is better than those Goodyear rubber bands. The OEM Bridgestones are a great improvement, also.

As you may note from other posts, Michelin CrossTerrains are quite popular and deservedly so. I replaced wifey's Goodyears at 26k with the CTXs shortly after that worthy was introduced and her vehicle was transformed, even with stock size.

Have the alignment checked as well as tire pressure (regardless of what's on the car). If you do have the Goodyears, the only real "cure" is likely replacement. It is definitely worth it.
  • trmgatrmga Posts: 50
    Have 32K miles on '01 RX and have started to get brake squeal on left front wheel when easily applying the brakes. Took it to Lexus dealer yesterday and they had no problem hearing the squeal but could not figure out what was causing it. Disassembled the brake assembly and found nothing. I asked why they didn't try a new brake pad and the guy says brake pads are not a waranty item. I explained that they sure as hell are if they are defective and only have 32K miles on them. He agreed. The noise disappeared after they reassembled brake assembly but came back today althought not as bad. Only hear it when brakes applied very lightly. Anyone had this problem? Any idea what might be causing squeal? Thanks.
  • exc3exc3 Posts: 4
    Regarding your post, you stated that your dealer replaced your whole seat belt mechanism. Is the new seat belt tension less than before? Are you still getting nicks? Did they replaced your nicked pillar? Thanks for the info. I don't think they will covered the area under the door handle scratched by jewelry as posted by ruski.
  • kmhkmh Posts: 143
    Allow me to add clarification. The dealership, I believe, replaced the seatbelts in question. I'm not sure they replaced the entire assembly. I apologize if my post gave that impression.

But the belt actually has more tension or "spring" when retracting. I think that's where the nicks came from originally because the old belts didn't retract all the way and got caught in the door.

And, no, they didn't replace the pillar. I wish they would've though. As for the scratches under the door I've noticed them, too. But I only wear a wedding band so I can only conclude they come from my wife's jewelry. hmm. Maybe this means I can buy her less gems so as not to scratch the RX. :-)

• "Is the Highlander built in the same factory as the RX300?"

My understanding is that they're built in the same factory, "side by side." I think its supposed to be Toyota's best factory, or otherwise recognized for excellence.

• At 29k or so, took '01 RX to dealer to replace front brakes which were quite noisy.

Informed they replaced front pads and either resurfaced rotors or replaced them (forget which) at no charge whatsoever because of a TSB on this situation.

So go back to your dealer and ask him to check TSB log on this situation. If they refuse, give Lexus a call and ask them to intervene.
  • rlui1rlui1 Posts: 93
    All this talk about seat belts reminded me of something. What's that unlocking noise that the seat belt assembly makes when you turn off the ignition?
  • I've been following this board for some time. Thinking about an '01 used RX300. Currently have an '89 Acura Legend and used to own a Ford Explorer. Seems the RX combines the look and feel of both. I know it's not a 4WD vehicle but should be ok for mild off-road to the head of a bike trail, etc. Would you recommend such a purchase? Anything to look out for (besides engine sludge isssue).

Thanks,

Jim d.
    Jim- How much are you getting the 2001 for? From what I have seen there is not much of a differnce between 2001 and new 2002/3 purchase especially with the end of the model year.
  • cdnrxcdnrx Posts: 4
    I had BFG's but replaced them with 235 Michelin Cross Terrains today. I hope this solves the wandering problem. The BFG's sucked in snow so I was going to replace them anyway. I went for the slightly wider 235's over the stock 225 primarily because of posts on this site. I will comment once we have had an opportunity to drive with the new tires. Thanks.
  • Just starting to research prices. I would expect to get under $30k for a 2001 and have seen several "listed" around that price. What can I expect for a new vehicle?
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    should be had for around invoice because of the new model. Also there is 500 dealer cash right now. So a nicely loaded fwd 33k and a awd 34.5k
  • I've read a lot of posts regarding these two tires. They both have a lot of proponents. (Everyone agrees that the Goodyear Integrity is a low budget tire on a high budget vehicle.) But which tire is the best? Tire Rack has a wonderful website at www.tirerack.com that gives detailed specs and rates all the major brands and some that you never heard of before. Go to http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/highwayas.jsp for ratings of about 50 SUV tires. The MCT rated 2nd place, several notches above the BDHL. The top spot by a very thin margin went to Yokohama Geolandar H/T Y816, which costs less than MCT or BDHL. Still, I'm going with the MCT's. So many satisfied drivers and the Michelin reputation can't be wrong.
  • Thanks for the info fortek #6682 and #6686 and wwest #6664 and #6684. I guess I'm a little too conservative (or cheap) to make big changes in the suspension of the RX. I like the way it drives except for the excessive body roll when cornering. I think switching from Goodyear Integrity to Michelin CT will help with that. Also I'm going a size up to 235/70/16 instead of the original 225/70/16. Do you think I'll notice better stability with that, or is that not enough to make a difference? Also, if I use a 225 spare, which is 0.4 inches less radius than a 235, is that a big enough difference to cause damage to the suspension, say in a 100 mile trip?

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the factory offset on the RX is +38mm. That's the answer I got from Clint at Martin Tire Co in El Paso, and from a couple of local dealers in Kentucky and Tennessee.
    are for $70 at OnlineTires.com and $85 at TireRack.com
  • I went to Costco last weekend and they quoted me $140/tire which included value stems, and balancing. I called NTB (National Tire and Battery) and they wanted $160/tire and then another $14/tire for value stems and balancing. BOTH stated that there is a back order the Michelin CTs and it would be several weeks.

I saw that someone had a quote from tire rack of $85 but when I went that site I got a price of $138/tire and around another $10.50 for shipping. What is the size that you did to get the $85/tire? I found that the 225s are the size for the RX300, burt I see some 235s mention in previous postings. I would think the 235s would be the same or slightly higher $s since they are a slightly larger tire.

Can someone explain more about the $85/tire for the CTs, in that, I could only find a prices around the $138 - $160/tire.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    The seatbelts are designed to lock up in an accident. This would prevent you from hitting your head on the steering wheel, dashboard or windshield. When you turn the ignition off you release the locking mechanism and allow for slack in the belts.
    are for the 235/70/16 size not 225. Please read my post #6715 above yours
  • mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    See post#6441 fot a price comparison at that time. I always thought it was strange that tire rack charged more for 225s than 235s. I guess it's supply and demand.