Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The only times either of my two Jeeps ever went off-road was to get around so many vehicles that were sideways and otherwise all over the normal ice and snow covered roadbed.

So I AM NOT TALKING OFF-ROAD HERE!

Some of us live in areas where AWD should truly MEAN AWD!

I'm am very glad some of you are perfectly pleased with what Lexus choses to market as AWD, but for some of us the RX just doesn't cut the mustard.

The RX should really be marketed as "partial", or "maybe" AWD.
    I wonder what would be Lexus/Toyota's position on lowering the thermostat temperature say 20F to help prevent coking the oil?

Lower gas mileage for sure and maybe too much polution?
  • outrunoutrun Posts: 539
    These two terms have been tossed around so many times that they're interchangable nowadays.

I thought 4WD used to mean a simple, mechanical, 4 wheel drive system that requires the pull of a lever and possibly manually locking the front hubs. While AWD was not mechanical per say, driven by fluid viscosity. One axel slips, heats the fluid, and the other axel would get more power.

Today, just toss those terms out the window. The Ford Explorer/Mountaineer offers full time AWD, but as far as I know, it's mechanical (along with electronics).

Now, Willy, have you ever gotten stuck on pavement with your RX? If so, what were the conditions? Did you call up Lexus to pull you out?

-Craig
  • This past Saturday I went to a Dallas Lexus dealership checking out RX's. I asked the salesman about any changes for the 2003 model. He did confirm that the RX will have a 3.3 liter engine. He was uninformed on any body changes.
    He further stated that Corporate Lexus doesn't reveal much new model info to them until about two months before it's debut.
  • Thanks to everyone that responded to my post about Sludge Worries in a '00 CPO RX-300

I suppose I'm just being nuts - so I'll just jump off that (sludge greased) bridge if I ever get to it. I'm going to have the oil changed some time this week (after 3k since last one) and I'm gonna be real intent on grilling them about the sludge problems. Hopefully they will give me enough info to calm my fears. I guess I am also very concerned about the potential "bad name" that could be associated with the RX and other Toyota vehicles now that this problem is out in the open.

If they offer anything interesting - I'll post it here. But, they probably won't tell me anything that hasn't already been discussed.

Just hope they find a solution to this sludge problem. They're hopefully working feverishly because of the damage this could do to it's core client base.

WWEST: Not too sure if lowering the temp is going to be a viable solution. There will most certainly be a pollution problem if they increase it. Sounds like the temp was raised in the first place to get the emmisions into compliance to start with!

Thanks Again!
    Not a viable solution as a "Corporation" but as a personal solution?
  • Aren't you concerned that a "personal solution" ends up equaling a "personal liabilty" in the eyes of Lexus?

After all, its seems like they tried to ignore a bunch of sludge effected owners already! I don't think I'll play that game with them right now!

But - might be a good choice if they don't come up with something.
    Anyone know of an aftermarket oil cooler that can be added to the RX?
    Why don't we get together and fund the developement of an aftermarket oil cooler that taps into the current oil filter mount "access" and includes a better place to mount the filter too?
  • That would probably be a good idea! Not just for Lexus but for the many cars out here that have incredibly bad placement of the oil filter. My '99 Toyota 4 Runner comes to mind right away (yeah - another Toyota product!) You need to be contortionist to get the filter changed out! How many more of these are there? And why doesn't Toyota ever follow the ideas of Honda who makes everything so simple!

How far do you think we would get before the idea is ripped off by one of the big players?
  • The fear of sludging is affecting all of us RX300 owners. The alt.autos.toyota newsgroup has a lot of info about this issue, with comments from several "Toyota" techs. They feel that the sludging problem can be caused by both over-heating, and under-heating. In fact short drives in cold climates cause a lot of the sludge issues.

Since none of this helps us owners, I have one suggestion that does not required pulling the heads. Just stick a long rod into the oil dipstick tube that will reach to the bottom of the oil pan. Touch the bottom of the pan, and pull it out. If there is sludge on the end of the stick, one would have a problem.

On my other cars I could just look into the oil filler cap to see the inside of the valve case, but the Lexus RX300 has some type of a device that blocks the view of the valve area by looking down the oil cap hole.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    I have an 01 ES300 and had an 01 Sienna (had.... I just couldn't do a minivan for more than 16 months) so I have followed this issue many months. Lexus (Toyota) has pushed this fairly small engine to the limit. Very smooth, plenty powerful, and amazingly quiet, this engine ought to be treated to an oil change every 3-4k miles or 3 times a year if you drive less. Best I can tell, the only people having problems are pushing the oil changes to the max in the book (they really ought to change that 7500 oil change). I can't imagine buying a car this fine and then trying to save money on oil changes. After all, if you make an appointment you get a car to drive while they change the oil. CHANGE YOUR OIL OFTEN AND LET THE DEALER DO IT.
  • So, since the only sure method of insuring the Lexus warranty is honored is to have the oil & filters changed by Lexus. What are the going rates for giving Lexus the honor of changing our oil?

Now, I know that Jiffy Lube does not include free cookies, but they do have free (but sometimes old) coffee. So let's give Lexus a $2 credit for the extra food. Since I have never had the honor of a Lexus oil change, I don't have the slightest idea what it may cost, but I have heard rumours of $30 to $60, which seems a little high even for us deep-pocketed folks.
  • danrxdanrx Posts: 13
    What the heck is going on here, I go away for 3 days, I come back and my wonderful truck is being dragged in the mud with all this negative talk. Sounds like my resale value has plumetted in 3 days. Back to nice RX talk, please.

"They feel that the sludging problem can be caused by both over-heating, and under-heating. In fact short drives in cold climates cause a lot of the sludge issues."

This brings the question of "Warm-up or no Warm" up to my mind.

Should we be warming up our cars in these cold mornings. I have heard negative things about "idleing" and warming up. Are those old wives tales or old evil wives tales for some on this forum ???.

With regards to Oil Changes, does anyone know if Lexus accepts Oil Changes @ Toyota service acceptable with regards to the Sludge Argument or will they only accept Lexus service for re-imbursement cases ? No Sludge problems here, yet, gulp !!!
    Since Lexus IS Toyota, I don't see how they could refuse service done at one of their company-owned facilities.

I will NOT be going to Lexus for service from now on. Lexus of Norwood (MA) charges, I believe, over $200 for the 10k service. Now, looking in the little Lexus service book, the only service that should be performed is an oil change, tire rotation, and test drive.

$200+ for THAT? Puleeze. I just called up Toyota and they want $23.95 for oil change, and $15 for tire rotation.

The answer is simple.

-Craig
  • mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    Did anyone see anything in print yet that says the dealer must perform oil changes for the warranty to be honered? I stopped using the dealer a while ago because the quality of the work did not justify the high price. In fact the dealer is the only place where I had a service problem, the quick lubes have been fine. I had to return twice after an oil change for a leak in the filter area. I also noticed last time they rotated the tires they only moved them front to back (no chris cross) as in the manual.
    I found a Mr. Good Lube where I pay less than $20. (after discounts} for oil and filter plus check and top off everything else. They use Castrol GTX 5W30 oil from the small plastic bottles, not bulk oil like the dealer and everyone else. Somehow I have trouble trusting bulk oil. I would switch to synthetic if Toyota would state that it was recommended due to recent sludge reports, but Toyota still recommends natural petroleum based oil with a warning not to switch back if you do use synthetic.
    Of course I always check the work at both the dealer and quick lubes by marking the filter and writing done the wheel weight values at each wheel to check if/how tires were rotated.
    Mikey,

That's a good idea about marking the oil filter and keeping track of which tires are where on the vehicle before bringing it in. These $2/hour techies show very little interest in doing things properly. I think I'll do the same before bringing in the RX tomorrow evening.

This is going to be my first trip to the local Toyota dealership (only 3 miles from my house). If their service is good (doesn't even have to be "great"), I'm going to bringing the RX there from now on.

-Craig
  • gsenthilgsenthil Posts: 154
    See if you have any Toyota Express service stations. I went to one near mine (less than a mile from my home) and labor for oil change was $10 and another $10 for tire rotation. I forgot to tell them the order of tire rotation and saw the service guy just swapping the front and rear tires (no criss cross nor using the spare). Make sure you tell them in advance the order you want your tires rotated. And instead of reading the magazines there, I watched them working on my RX through the glass window.

Senthil
  • ctk1ctk1 Posts: 79
    Oil change at 5000 miles at no cost, but when I bring the RX home and check the oil dip stick, it over fill. I drain it out about 1 Qt of oil in order to low the oil level at high mark (car is parking in leveling garage).
    I will not bring it in for 10,000 miles service.I will do it by myself with Mobil 1 synthetic oil 5w-30 and the Lexus OEM filter. Total cost 25 bucks without my 15 min labor.
    I didn't check the dipstick afterwards. Maybe we've been driving with an over-filled crankcase for 5000 miles. OOps. On the brighter side, maybe there wasn't any room for the sludge to build up. Hey, there's a solution!

Should I tell Toyota to include the spare tire in the rotation? I don't even know if Lexus did that at the 5000 checkup. We now have 9985 on odometer. Would it be "bad" to start including the spare in the rotation at this point? My wife primarily drives the car, so the tires are just about new in appearance.

ctk1, have you changed the oil yet on your RX? I've heard it's a pain to get to the oil filter. Mobil 1 at BJ's or Costo is pretty cheap, so if it's not too much of a pain, I could do it myself as well (except for maybe in the dead of winter).

Are jack stands necessary?

-Craig