Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• I'm looking at buying the 2002 RX 300 with front wheel drive. Along with the Coach Edition package and delivery fee the bottom line price I got from the dealer is $35,750. Does this sound like a good price?
  • gibsgibs Posts: 4
    The price seems to be a good deal to me. This price is $75 less than
    carsdirect.com price for my area. The best quote I got today from local
    dealer for a four wheel drive without coach edition is 36761 which
    is $150 above carsdirect price. I am not really serious about RX300.
  • vishnu11vishnu11 Posts: 59
    I also have the 2000RX, but have not experienced the loud noise at the rpm range you mention.

I don't know what you were comparing the sound to, but if it was other Lexus sedans, then you should expect a higher sound. The RX is more "growly" and wind-noise is more apparent than other sedans from Lexus. But compared to other SUVs, the RX is very silent.

Also, have the dealer check the transmission fluid level. Lower levels can generate transmission noise and also a somewhat harsher and more jerky ride. They should top it off for free unless you've run out of the warranty.
  • stacystacy Posts: 91
    Heard 2 things from dealers. 1) hard to find AWD because they are shipping to east - easier to get a deal on 2wd and 2) Something wrong w/ AWD. 2) I find hard to believe since it is the same system I have on my '99. Anyway these dealers around here this weekend want $2000 below MSRP. One offer, 38950, another 40700 and she would charge me $699 trucking to get it to her dealership! I said invoice from carsdirect and dealer said she checked carsdirect for me (and called me back) and they were saying 39330 for a AWD w/Nav and heated seats (and the wheel locks,rr, spoil, cargo net,mat) - which is how the loaded vehicles come. Of course said she would meet that. Still like $2000 over invoice!I read on an earlier post that invoice was what you could get this car for. I dont mind paying a little more than that but seriously what is the deal? Anyone know? Are they changing this car for '03? If so, I should be able to get a great deal, right? Thanks for any response.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Posts: 154
    I have perforated leather on my Silversport RX. What do you guys use for leather care? I have heard a lot about Hide Food. Any other choices? Anything to keep in mind considering perforated leather? Also specify where you get your product from.

Thanks

Senthil
  • ravlravl Posts: 129
    Hey Senthil--
    Like you, I'm ready to clean and condition my seats. Lexol is a name I hear used quite a bit. It's supposed to be good quality. The one thing I would be careful about is the amount you use around the perforations. Go light on the application, perhaps going over it twice to ensure enough conditioner is used. I have a cleaner and conditioner that came with my leather couch and will be using that.

One thing I've noticed about the SS interior is it doesn't hold up well to scratches and such. I have a lot of marks on different parts of the vehicle and we're a clean family. I don't think there's one french fry in the whole car! ;)
    I'm getting the strut pop noise (happens a lot at slow speed parking lot driving) in the back and the bushing noise in the front too. I know this is a weak point for Toyota vehicles as all three of the ones I've owned have had noisy suspension.

I'm curious if those that have had the fix done hear the noises coming back. Are the parts used in repair of better quality than OEM? I hate to live with the noise, but don't want to go through the fix if it's just going to come back.
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Who were you talking to? Most of the dealers I know are close to invoice. Use carsdirect and Edmunds as benchmark prices to beat. The dealer you spoke with may be correct, the cars do come with more options than many people are looking for.
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    I had a front strut replaced about 5 months ago and the noise hasn't reappeared.
    Kearny-Mesa Lexus and Mission Viejo Lexus. Edmunds is also much higher than invoice - like $3000+. I need to check carsdirect for myself. Also heard from Riverside Lexus that the design for the RX will not change for another 2 years - FWIW.
    Anyone have the chrome wheels? Is it worth the price or should I go aftermarket - with what brand? I want them to be shiny. Anyone go with bigger tires? Do you get a smoother ride, better traction?
    AWD w/ Nav, heated seats, spoiler...$1200 over invoice.
  • bought this car $300 under invoice in socal.
    If only you had given a time longer than 5 months! I'm curious about say, 1-1/2-2 years. Thanks for the input, though. It's a frustrating problem as it's only an audible problem (like the popping sunroof), only happens at certain times, and it doesn't affect the ride of the car or the quality of the strut's usefulness.

I'm very surprised that Toyota carries this quality error over into the Lexus line. My '85 Camry made THE EXACT SAME NOISES as my '01 RX300, which makes THE EXACT SAME NOISES that my '99 RAV4L did.
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    I'm surprised. I know those dealers. You should be able to beat carsdirect and Edmunds prices. I can't speak for Calvin, but the market does vary and I don't see any recent sales below invoice.
  • Only 2wd w/o nav. sold at that price. carsdirect.com price was $100 over invoice.
    Where did you get your $400 under carsdirect price? Did you buy recently? I'm thinking of emailing the internet fleet mgrs of several socal dealers and asking for best price, or maybe its better to decide on a price and email then. Any thoughts? I need to make the deal before I go in. I will not haggle w/ salesman. Thanks.
  • calvin888calvin888 Posts: 4
    I got my car two weeks back from longo lexus
    Sorry to bug you again but did you deal with the fleet mgr or a salesman. Can I have the name? You can email me if you want to keep confid. I know longo is a huge dealer - did they have it on the lot or did you have it built for you? Thanks again.
  • craigcurrycraigcurry Posts: 14
    My wife has a 99 RX with 39K miles. The leather on the drivers seat has split in 2 places just below the seam or bead that separates the top and side of the seat. At first there was just 1 split, then another split occurred just below the first. Then the 2 splits joined to become one split about 3/4 of an inch long. And finally a third split occurred about 1/4 long. I contacted Lexus Customer Satisfaction by email and they told me that the leather would be covered under warranty if it was determined that the leather seat surface was defective. How does one determine if leather is defective? The leather seating surface looks very normal for a 3 year old vehicle. It shows no sign of abuse. Is the leather suppose to last only a few years and needs to be replace after a few years like tires? I treated the leather surfaces with a conditioner at least 3 times a year. The conditioner is a major brand name in the car care business. I am going to take the vehicle in next week to have Lexus look at the seat. Any advice would be helpful.