Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Check and make sure your tires are all equally inflated/worn, especially the fronts.
    Done "by-the-book" the 30k service should be less than $100.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,607
    Check out the Edmunds Maintenance Guide too.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    Don't know how you can get "by the book" 30k done for less than $100 unless it's DIY or you leave out at least one of the by the book items like brake fluid change or coolant change.
  • I have a 2000 RX with about 86,000 miles. I've never had any problems with it, then today, I was running errands, started the car, and it died immediately. I tried about 5 times, and every time it started right up, then the engine immediately died unless I kept giving it gas. I finally got going by putting it in neutral and keeping my foot on the gas, then drove it to a mechanic (not the dealer, but a local independent who works on Lexus/Toyota's, very reliable), and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. Of course, by the time I got there it had stopped stalling, and was running fine. Has anyone else had this problem, and know what causes it? The mechanic told me to just wait and see if it happened again before he started charging me for fixing things that may or may not be causing the problem.
  • I solved this exact problem om my 2000 RX by cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve(IACV)with carburator cleaner. Not difficult to do yourself, or ask a knowledgeable mechanic to do it. I imagine the dealer would try to sell a new one, but I found that not necessary. Search IACV in the search box below and you may find more details on the procedure.
  • bwong06bwong06 Posts: 43
    My lexus is close to 50,000 miles now and am planning to replace the horrible GY.

That being said, I've been reading around and know the cross terrain is the best tire for the Lexus. But i live in Arizona were there is no rain, no snow, and just dry driving conditions. Is the Cross Terrain the best tire, or can i buy something cheaper with the same handling on roads and highways.
  • Thanks, mrbentwrench, I'll give that a try.
    Since I lean more toward a nice quiet and comfortable ride my 2001 AWD RX300 is shod with "summer" Bridgestone Turanzas.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Posts: 154
    I live in AZ (Phx) too and have the Cross Terrains. With Costco offering a discount on the Michellins (plus free tire rotations/nitrogen) it is a no brainer to go with it. Even though rain etc is not an issue in AZ, my friend's 2002 RX with Geolanders makes a funny howling noise on freeway cruising. The Michellins were smoother and quieter.
    I agree about the Costco deal. I bought my first set of Cross Terrains 65K ago with the $60 off sale and just ordered my second set today with the same sale. Many people mistakenly believe Cross Terrains are not as quiet or as smooth riding the summer tires. I think it may be due to the association with the meaning of the name "Cross Terrain". However, if you check out ratings on tire rack you will see Cross Terrains beat out the summer tires on ride and noise comfort and also deliver a much higher tread wear rating.
  • cara6cara6 Posts: 9
    Hi –
    I’ve been looking at used SUV’s and just started looking at the RX300.

I saw two today from private owners, one a 2002 2wd with 73k miles, asking price is $18.5k (but I think he’ll take $18) and the second is a 1999 2wd with 114k miles- asking price $13.5k. Both owners have taken excellent care and both SUV's are in great condition.

After reading through posts here last night one of my concerns is the transaxle thing that people talked about. I asked both owners and neither have had any unusual problems at all- only standard maintenance.

I’d love any feedback on the pricing- do you think these prices sound reasonable?? (both are in Kelly Blue Book range)

I’m just a little gun shy to jump in. Also another factor is that I may need to sell the car in two years so I’m also concerned about resale value at that point.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
    Appraise a used car before you buy.

And you may want to ask for advice in the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion too.

Steve, Host

• cara6cara6 Posts: 9
    Thanks!

It looks like the price on the 1999 is a little high.

Any other thoughts on buying with such high mileage??
  • Hi folks, I'm tempted to buy a 2000 RX300 from a local individual (trying to convince my husband who doesn't think we need 2 SUVs int he garage). This person is selling it with 55K miles for $20,000. I average 9500 miles per year on a car. Does anyone know at how many miles I'll start to have this RX300 (if I should buy it) in the shop for repairs? And are Lexus' service gees expensive? Thansk for any advice, thoughts or comments.
    It depends on who owns the dealerships in your area, but you may be able to get the Lexus fixed more cheaply at a Toyota dealer. If all nearby Lexus and Toyota dealers are owned by the same company, then they may charge you the Lexus rate at the Toyota shop.

You can estimate future scheduled service costs with the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Any owners with opinions about buying a high mileage RX 300 for Cara6?

Steve, Host

• my 99 lexus rx 300 ventilation fan control knob will not work. it only stay in one speed ( high speed) only. i have to turn off the ventilation and open the window most of the time because fan speed is too high. this is my first lexus, but it gives me a bad impression because i can not fix it even though i am an auto mechanic.
  • glenfordglenford Posts: 138
    Well, I bought a 2000 RX300 with 39000 miles on it for $26000 - 3 years ago this week! I think your seller is asking for too much money. I did a quick check using Edmund's appraisal, and assuming AWD and nearly every option, 55000 miles and condition clean, prices are:

2000 Lexus RX 300 4 Dr STD 4WD Wagon
    Trade-In/Private Party/Dealer Retail
    $15,560/$17,381/$19,350

Mine has been very reliable - replaced a light bulb - can't recall anything else unexpected. I also had some exhaust system repairs, but I cracked the system driving through a huge puddle (my bad).

I get all my service done at the local Toyota dealer - generally cheaper (and 45 minutes closer - in fact I bought it there), but since the Highlander is essentially the same vehicle, they know it.

I did upsize my wheels to 17s, and like the slightly firmer ride. Gas mileage is not so good - between 19 and 20 (with AWD, and on regular fuel), but up to you if that is OK, and not outside what it should get.

If you really want it, get the price down. In my case I was still within warranty for 11000 miles, but I think yours would be too old. That should affect the price, too.

Hope this is useful. Tim
    I know this has been a small problem with the Lexus. I am just wondering if the warranty covers it. I bought the platinum extended warranty and the ducditible is 50 dollars.
  • pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    Dealer might replace it as a courtesy even if out of warranty, mine did! Otherwise, it can be a DIY job, search here for the instructions.

Pete :)
    they charged me a hundred bucks which i am not too mad about but if i can get a few of those bucks back i will try. anyone know if light bulbs are covered under the bumper to bumper extended warranty?
  • Approaching the 30k point with my 2003 RX AWD. Some have suggested switching to synthetic oil. I know this has been kicked around before but not for some time. What do people think in general and if yes, what synth. oil would you recommend?

Thanks,

Jim d.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    You may be interested in this discussion: Synthetic motor oil

tidester, host
  • Recently, my RX300 experienced flooding in the spare tire wheel well and on the interior floor (floor mats were very wet). This has happened three times (after rain storms), and after the last time, my radio would light up but no sound would come out. Best guess is the flooding likely caused damage to the stereo amplifier. We took the car to the dealership who said they would have to charge and arm and a leg and rip out all the seats to diagnose the cause. So, we did a little investigating on our own spraying the car with water from a hose but could not find any leaks. We've left the car outside (but not driven it) a few times in the rain, and no flooding has occurred. Upon further inspection of the car, we suspect that the flooding may have been caused by some missing screws in both the right and left rear wheel wells. Our next action step is to take it back to the dealership to put these screws in, drive it in the rain, and see what happens, but I just wanted to check with folks to see if they've had similar experiences or might know of some other causes. Thanks in advance for your help!
    Check that the sunroof drains are clear (common RX problem). These are clear tubes running from the sunroof through the cargo area.
  • After 5 years and 93K miles, I finally got new brakes. The rears were down to 2/32, and the fronts were 4/32. The dealer suggested replacing the rears; I decided to do them both at the same time.

So...new pads front and rear, rotors turned, transmission drain and fill, and an oil change for $430 out the door.

Oh..and as always, the "dealer" was the local Toyota dealer. :blush:
  • I have a 2001 RX AWD. Changed to Mobil 1 synthetic at
    9859 miles. It has worked very well for the last 58000 miles. I use 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 the rest of the year. Engine runs smoother once I started using the synthetic oil. I live in Virginia with mild winters, but it still starts quicker with the synthetic.

I only drive about 11,000 miles a year and change the oil
    every 2500 miles. I am sure this is extremely conservative, but cheap insurance. I purchase the oil at
    BJ's Wholesale Club and it is not significantly more costly than standard petroleum oil.

I work for an equipment manufacturer and we sell a great deal of PAO synthetic oil as an after sale item. The
    benefits of a full synthetic are real in my opinion in
    industrial equipment in severe applications in addition to
    automotive applications.
  • I have a 1999 with 130,000 miles. Overall the car is great!
    I had one problem, the charchol canister. The check engine light came on and that is what is was. The total bill was $600.00 at the dealer. Service manual recommended cleaning this in the maintenance guide. I never had it done, but when I took it in at 100,000 miles for alot of general maintenance the service advisor told me they dont clean them? Oh well. I had my car checked over at 100,000 and they found a slight leak in the water pump. The rest was just preventative maintenance. Other than the normal things (just front brakes once,tires and oil changes)
    this car has been good to me. One strange thing I did encounter was the power window started working sporadically on the drivers side. It did it for one or two days and then the brake light burned out on the same side. I replaced the brake light and the power window worked fine. It was strange and I dont know why but somehow the two are related.
  • pmhtvpmhtv Posts: 33
    My 99 RX's panel lights went out the other day, and as I suspected, the fuse was blown. I promptly replaced that fuse with a new one, but as soon as I turned on my headlights, that same fuse blew again. Tried it one more time with another new fuse, but the results were the same - as soon as I turned on the headlights, the fuse blew.

I'm now thinking that there may be a short in the fuse box, but none of the other fuses are affected. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
    The short is most likely located between the headlight switch and lights that are not working when the fuse blows, not at the fuse box. I assume from your post that headlights/taillights are ok. Problem is just dash panel lights?