Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,560
    This post may help:

pennymb, "Got a Quick, Technical Question?" #2426, 2 Feb 2006 12:38 pm

Curious what you wound up doing about it?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I don't know if this is going to be a trend, but we'll keep track of the recent transmission thread over in this discussion for a while:

Lexus RX 300 Transmission Problems

If you've had any tranny issues (Erik?) in the past or lately, please give us a report in there. Thanks.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• 2003 RX300 GPS displayed No Disc Detected. Dealer stated needs new Drive at $2250 :cry: . Any repair advise, repair place San Diego/LA or exchange of unit
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    is getting weak. I wonder if it's easy to replace by myself. Years ago I replaced my Maxima hood lift and it was easy. I am not sure if RX is a bit unique.
  • My 2002 RX did the same thing. Turns out that the gromit in the rear to channel the water from the roof popped out, flodded the compartment with the NAV and shorted the board out. My dealer quoted me almost $5K for a new unit. I bought one off of eBay for $750, installed it myself (very easy as I am not mechanically inclined) and it works perfectly. I did need a new disk as the software was updated. Hope this helps.
  • Is it weak or getting stuck. My 2002 hatch lift sometimes gets stuck when I unlock the car causeing me to "pop it out" and hit the fob again. Are you having a similar issue?

Thanks,
    It is weak but never got stuck. When I unlock the hatch with either fob or key, and open the hatch a little, it opens to about 70% of the full opening then stays there. I have to open the rest 30%.
  • gitmogitmo Posts: 23
    Hello, I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a 2000 RX 300. It has 81000 miles on it and I was wondering if I should change out the ATF and engine oil since I don't really know when they were changed last. Also, without looking under the car, how can I tell if it's 4wd or not? Probably a stupid question, but I don't know for sure, I just picked it up last night.
    Thanks for any help.
    hello again, I was wondering if anyone has noticed the dirty "fogging" of the headlight covers. I have a 2000 rx 300. Can the glass be removed and cleaned?
    Thanks for any help.
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    Yes, I would definitely have the transmission "serviced" (not "flushed") by a qualified mechanic who uses Type IV (Toyota) fluid (but definately not a corner lube stop!). This model has a history of early transmission failures, however maintainence seems to be a big preventative help. If the fluid has a dark or "burned" odor, or you do a lot of idling or low-speed driving you may consider changing at ultra-frequent intervals.

There is also a well-known oil-gelling history if the intervals are long or heat builds up as it can, so it's a good idea to have frequent engine oil change intervals to help avoid a problem.

For 4X4 you can look under the middle of the car for a drive shaft leading from the front (engine area) down the middle tunnel to the rear (differential) and then side driveshafts to drive the rear wheels. If it's front wheel (2X4) drive, that stuff won't be there, but there will be a "G" as the third character in the VIN.

If your headlights are getting cloudy (likely due to being left out in the sun/weather), don't use anything abrasive on them. I've seen products specifically to help with this, but never had to use them. Perhaps plastic polish might help if it's on the outside. If they are fogging on the inside, it's because they've gotten cracked by an impact or the seal was otherwise breached, perhaps where the bulb was replaced. :confuse:
    Thanks a lot for the tips, I'll take care of it right away. I checked the trans fluid and it seems to be fine, also engine oil looks very good.
    As far as I can tell, there's no rear differential. Did you mean "G" would be third character in VIN of two wheel drive?
    Thanks again for the help.
    Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone has had to replace a master key. y car came with only one key (master) I'm thinking I should probably get another one in case of loss, breakage, etc..
    I know the dealer charges big$$, also where are the key code #s? like I said, I only have the one key.
    Thanks a lot for the help.
  • pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    If you have one original master key, a locksmith who specializes in high security vehicles can add additional keys for considerably less than most dealers charge. If the one key you have is not an original master key, it is necessary to replace or reflash the ECM to add additional keys.

Pete :)
    Thanks for that! I have the original and will tap from that.
    Thanks
    Hello, I have two of the little side marker lights out. How the h*** do you get the things apart. Thanks, the owner's manual says: take it to the dealer. No way!
    Thanks for the help.
  • I ran into the same problem with changing out these bulbs...

I found this site that was very helpful:

http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net/side_markers.htm

hope this helps!
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    Thanks kmh for passing this on. He has some very useful tips for do-it-yourselfers. I was a member on Club Lexus, and this guy is, too. You can also link to them from his site.

It seems he's been compiling his DIY notes and took the time to post them on his website for others to see and benefit from. I added the link to my CarSpace favorites.
    Hello,
    I'm going to need front brakes soon. Does anyone know of a good online car parts store?
    Thanks for the heads-up.
  • mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    Irontoad.com is a good source for discount oem Lexus parts. Then there is always Rock Auto if you want aftermarket.
    Thanks Mikey00,
    I've ordered brakes. Also CEL just came on, the car gets inspected tomorrow so I'll ask the guys to pull some code. I cleaned the MAF although it didn't seem too bad,but I figured I'd wait before I re-set the CEL.
    Thanks again for the help.
  • mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    Something to know. If you ordered oem Lexus pads, the front pads come without a wear indicator on them. This is a small metal clip that contacts the rotor and squeels when pads are almost gone. Just use the wear indicator from the old pads. The rear ones have the wear indicator.
    Also regarding your CEL. Most common cause is the gas cap not on good. Second most common seems to be when someone opens the top on the air box to check the engine air filter they disconnect the hose located directly behind the air box and below the brake fluid resovoir. Other than those 2 and the MAF, you will need codes.
    Thanks for the brake tip mikey. I checked the fuel cap and it was tight and the tube from the air cleaner box is also connected. I'll see what the guys find in the way of code today. The car runs great though, oil is clear, atf is pink and clean. According to average MPG on the display I'm getting 11.5 around town. That's about the only difference but that thing doesn't seem to be accurate all the time.
    I'll let everyone know what turns up.
    Hello,
    When I got my car, it came with only one master key. I've read about how flimsy these keys are (and expensive) I came across a great site: sparekeys.com you can have a shell key made for $60.00. When your cheap original breaks, just slide out the "brain" from the broken key and drop it into the new shell key, now you have a new master key that they promised me is much stronger than the original. Also, I did not have my key-code available so I called them, nice people, and really helpful. All I had to do was give them my VIN#, address, credit card# and the key goes out today.
    Still waiting to hear about my CEL codes. I'll spill my guts when I find out.
    cheers
    Sorry I'm an idiot,
    The site is: sparecarkeys.com makes more sense now. Sorry for the goose chase boys and girls. :blush:
    Hello,
    I picked up my car from the mechanic today. (2000 FWD rx-300 81,000 mls.) Code shows: p1130
    p1150 two front Oxygen sensors: bank 1, sensor #1 bank 2, sensor #2
    He re-set the CEL and said everything is fine on the car. He will install sensors if I want them...do I? Is it a real need? I had a BMW and the mechanic used to just re-set all the time and I was fine.
    Also, I was wondering about the oil jelling complaints. If a lot of owners are taking their cars to the quick change places for oil changes, tranny, etc... I know the oil filter on this car is a B**** to get to. So, that said, I would bet a lot of these places are skipping the filter change and just replacing the oil...IMHO maybe I'm wrong but how many of us check to make sure? Hmmmmmmm :confuse:
  • pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    I've heard too many horror stories about the quick oil change places, always took my RX300 to Toyota dealers for oil changes; about $22.95 or so with genuine Toy parts. Will probably do the same with the RX350.

Pete :)
    Fyi, you may edit your post for 30 minutes after posting. And then few of us will ever know about the bad link. :-)

Thanks Steve for the heads-up.
    Graham
    I just had my 00 RX300 45K service done. I thought about skipping it however I had it done. Bdfore the service, when the car was cold or for the first 10 minutes or so, I always heard a very high pitch sound like metal pieces rubbing. It was not loud but I could heear it with windows open or closed. It does not change whether in "D" or in "N". After car completely warms up, it disappears.

Forgot to mention this to the service dept, but after the service, it is completely gone. I paid $458 for this service.

My RX300 has very low mileage, 43500 mile now. So far two failures. (1) the "D" bulb went out a few weeks ago and I replaced it; (2) the door lock/key fob control failure which costed my about $600 for the module replacement.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    That's a nice piece of change in the dealer's pocket for little or no services rendered. 45k service, by the book, is simply an oil and filter change, $50 at most.