Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Keeping your windows and windshield clear and clean of the out-gassing from plasticizers and other residues is a damn good idea, there is no question that a clean windshield surface is less likely to fog over.

But. In the wintertime the outside of the windshield is enduring continuous impingment of COLD airflow, which transfers directly into the inside surface. If the temperature at/on the interior surface of the windshield declines to the dewpoint of the cabin atmosphere, you have a problem.

I forgot to mention.

It is without a doubt a plain nuisance and can be extremely discomforting to have the system automatically switch to cooling mode in the wintertime. But what I forgot to mention is that when it does that NO SYSTEM AIRFLOW IS ROUTED TO THE WINDSHIELD. In footwell/floor, heating, mode a substantial level of the system airflow is automatically routed toward the interior surface of the windshield, helping to keep its surface above the dewpoint.

Very imporatnt point, sorry I forgot it.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,949
    Would someone like to recommend some glass cleaners for the inside of my windshield? A quick search here flops up surprisingly little. Thx!

Steve, Host
  • Carburator cleaner works well if you are ever so careful not to spill or drip on any other surface.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    www.griotsgarage.com has a very good window cleaner. I buy it by the gallon. His lint free paper towels help also
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    Willard,
    When you unplug your AC during the winter, do you think it is a good idea to hook it back up and run the AC for fiteen minutes per month to lubricate the compressor seals?
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Posts: 249
    Having sold my wonderful RX a few months ago, I still come back to visit my friends occasionally. When I saw the post from Willard, I just smiled. The more things change, the more they remain the same.....huh? :^) All kidding aside, I consider him to be an incredibly intelligent individual, despite our disagreements.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Posts: 249
    In a word, YES! If you choose to disable your compressor, once a month you should perform the following:
    1. Re-enable the compressor and turn on the system for 5 seconds, then off for 5 secs. On for 5, off for 5.
    2. Do this a few times (10) then let it run for a few minutes.
    3. This will circulate freon, which serves as a lubricant for the compressor.
    4. Or....do the right thing and don't disable it. Let it do it's job summer and winter. No problems!
  • For those of you that have looked at my profile, I am in cold and frigid Minnesota. I have not had any problems keeping my windshield clear in the winter. Maybe wwest is experiencing a loss of thermal transfer from his 10 year old anti-freeze?????
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,949
    No home remedies, like vinegar and water or toothpaste?

Steve, Host
    Obviously it wouldn't hurt to reconnect your compressor every so often to allow the lubricant mixed in with the refrigerant to re-coat the internal wear parts and re-wet the seals.

Personally I don't believe it's necessary but each to his own.

If the connector weren't so convenient to get to I would have probably installed a switch under the dash since the switch wiring to the A/C ecu is just behind the glove box.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    Oh yeah. Vinegar and water or toothpaste.
    You beat me to it.

Let me know how this works out for you...

Regards,
    -ss4
    (religiously opposed to smilies and smirkies)
  • Hi All

I bought a new RX300. It has now 800 miles on it. Now when I drive it at very low speeds (in parking lots etc..), I hear a very anoying noise coming from the back of the car. It sound like the wheels are rubbing against a solid metal. Of course when I drive it at high speeds, I do not hear it becasue of the other noises. Is this a normal noise coming from a new car until it wares out a bit?

Thanks a lot.
  • No noises other than engine hum are normal, not when the car has 800 miles, not when the car has 80000 miles.
    Make sure you have the spare secured tight and no other lose objects in the back and try again. If the noise persists, You should take it to the dealer immediately.
  • Nothing works as well to wake up a sleepy RX300 townhall community than a long wwest post!!

I am sure wwest has a very good point in doing what he does with his/her cars but most of us are too busy with enjoying the car and other lively chores to spend time on following wwest's recommendations.
  • clee4clee4 Posts: 103
    could be tag/frame on back hatch. More of a rattle then a rub, but I had the tag noise.
    "most of us".

Don't take the RX off-road so we don't really care if it doesn't have a locking center diff'l nor granny grunt low.

Many of us don't encounter wintertime on road conditions that require/demand a more capable AWD system.

Very few of us will ever encounter the specific climatic conditions that will lead to instances of instantaneous windshield fogging.

And ever fewer of us will ever need to land an airplane "dead-stick". But try getting your license without learning how to.
  • t0677gt0677g Posts: 7
    Check your tire!!!
    I had similar situation before and found a big nail on tire. The noise could only be heard at very low speed.
  • Thanks so much for the help on my question about new tires for our '99 RX 300. Sounds like the Michelin XTs and Bridgestone HLs would be a good choice. However, I found that both of these tires come with raised while lettering and I personally prefer blackwalls on this car. The tire dealer told me that they could simply turn the white lettering to the inside. Has anyone tried this? Seems like you could see the white lettering on the inside of the tires which might look kind of stupid.
    Thanks again for all the help.
  • pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    I had my new Michelin Cross Terrains mounted with the letters facing inward. Within a couple weeks, the white letters were sufficiently dirty that they do not show!

Pete
  • mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    Go back to post #6163 if your are interested in seeing prices on Michelin CTs. I think Costco sale ends this week.