Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    From 1999 Lexus Owner's Manual:
    The following information is shown with the ignition switched "ON":

Driving time
    Average vehicle speed
    Average fuel consumption
    Momentary fuel consumption

The displayed values in the cruise information display indicate the general driving condition, so those may not show precise and actual condition.

To change the mode, push the "INFO" button briefly on the audio control panel.

When the ignition switch is turned to "ON", the mode displayed just before the ignition switch is turned off will appear.

Pete :)
  • fwtfwt Posts: 1
    We just had to get a new transmission in our 2000 lexus RX 300 about a month ago. It is just over 100,000 miles. Few days later after the transmission was fixed the check engine light came on. took it back, they said it was the gas cap. They fixed it. Now about three weeks later the check engine light is on again. Unplugged the battery. Went of for a few days and now back on. We had our transmission checked just in case while under warranty, they ran an emissions test and three codes came up?

P0440 (EVAP Control System Malfunction)
    P0441 ( EVAP Control System Improper Purge Flow)
    P0446 ( EVAP Control System Vent Control Malfunction)

Are these still because of the gas cap? Or is this the O2 sensors that I have been reading about?
    Not sure whats going on or what I should do. Any suggestions?

Nadine
  • duane3duane3 Posts: 7
    Mike,

I just passed day 10 with the new MAF and NO Check Engine Light!!! I'm feeling like this has fixed the problem. newlexusparts.com is great - $118, no tax or shipping, it was here in 4 days (I opted for UPS ground shipping).

Thanks again for your help

Duane
  • pkanepkane Posts: 1
    We have a 1999 Lexus RX300 and the Check Engine Light just came on. Is there a way to read the codes or whatever or just replace the O2 Sensor. Where can I go to read upon how to do this myself.

Thanks

Pete
  • My '99 RX has about 135K on it, and I've been having vibration problems at freeway speeds (70+ MPH). Problem started at about 75K, had the Michelin XC's balanced a couple of times, to no avail. Replaced the Michelins with General Ameritrac SUV's about 10K ago (very poor decision to put these on: despite Consumer Reports recommendation, they are hard, and noisy. I wish I'd bought the more expensive Michelins), and have had the tires rotated/balanced three times since, with no significant change. I take the car to a Toyota dealer for service, since they're way cheaper than the Lexus folks, and they have been over the front end with a fine tooth comb (or so they tell me), and insist it's the tires. The last trick was to do a "road force balance," whatever that is, and it did seem to reduce the intensity somewhat. Have had the brakes checked, rotors turned, et. al. Anybody got any ideas? The car has been great for us, although the 19.8 MPG average is getting a little expensive these days.
  • Hi Gang I'm new in this town. I just traded a 04 Corolla for a 2000 RX300 with 90K on the clock. I've only driven Toyota products and I've had very good luck with no major problems. The lexus is mint inside and out (except for the pesky "D" indicator light). The only problem is I couldn't even get an extented service contract because of the high mileage, at least from Toyota. They do offer one but it was only for 1 year or 12000 miles and they wanted $1500 for that. So if I have as good as luck as I did with my other Toyota vehicles I should be OK. So if anybody knows of any service problems I should know about please let me know. Thanks and to all a good nite.http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emoto- rcons/emo_shades.gif
  • Welcome! The first and foremost thing to check: has the timing belt been replaced? If not, plan to do so within the next 10K miles. If you take it to a Lexus dealer, they'll probably also change out the water pump, and your total bill will exceed $1100. If you take it to a Toyota dealer, they'll do just the belt for about $500. My Toyota service guy told me that the water pumps were good for "at least 200,000 miles," so don't go for the Lexus dealer pitch that they'll do that "while we're in there."

Good luck!
  • Just do the regular fluid changes like oil (use sythetic oil) transmission oil, coolent...And if you have a problem or service, take it to a Toyota dealer instead of Lexus. RX300 is the only car that Toyota has a twin model for - Highlander. You will save at least 40% of any service cost. You already mentioned the D light which is a common failure, the other potential failure is the suspension strut mounts that will make a clunking noise. It is not serious if not fixed right away. There are other problems reported on this forum about engine gelling and transmission failure but they are hard to proof whether it's a product defect or owner's neglect. I have a 99 and still going strong. Good Luck.
  • The saleman who sold me the RX300 is going to contact the previous owner (only one) to get a low down on the service history hopefully the timing belt was changed. the person who had it before me took real good care of it all new toyota belts and hoses and even a new toyota battery. I will have all the maintenence done at the toyota dealership down the street mainly due to the because nearest lexus dealer is 60 miles away. It's quite a jump from a corolla to a lexus and I'm really going to enjoy it even though I can't afford the gas to drive it ($3.88 a gallon). Regards To All
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,983
    If the previous owner had it serviced at a Lexus (or Toyota) dealership, the service manager should have access to the service history on the computer system. Maybe you can get it via phone call so you don't have to drive that 60 miles to the Lexus dealer.

What part of the country are you in that you are having to pay $3.88 a gallon?

Steve, Host
  • Hi Steve, I'm about 80 miles north of NYC. FYI by some stroke of luck my "D" light came on????? I ordered a few parts from "toad", a rear bumper protector, cabin air filter and a bug guard for the front, which looks like it's had its share of bug hits. But so far it seems to be a real fun vehicle. Take Good Care.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,983
    I have cousins up near Newburgh; didn't realize gas was so nuts up there.

Here's hoping the D stays lit!

Steve, Host
  • I don't see any reply on your mail.

dmanif,

Have you resolved this issue?

I'm having this problem after long vacation. After the vacation, the battery was out of charge. It took several days to fully charge up with regular usage to commute.

From a few days ago the engine does not start at all for a few times - even no clicking.
    It takes a few seconds to a minute to make the engine start.

Has anyone see this problem and have resolution?
  • I guess my Silversport didnt come with HID. I thought it would be standard, anyways, how much would it cost to install the kit?
  • Keep trying with the dealer. My '99 did that up until recently. I put Michelin XC's on it a few years ago to replace the junk GY's (both had the vibration issue). I had it in a few times to the dealer and the Road force balance helped but did not fix it. The vehicle is fine till around 70 then it starts to vibrate, sometimes on smooth roads it was tolerable, but it got annoying on long trips. I had it in again recently, not sure if it was fixed when I picked up the vehicle, but it is fixed now. All the dealer said on the last visit was that I had "truck" tires on it and I should put more car like tires on it. I wish I knew exactly what fixed the issue, but it went away. Maybe the tires got rotated or something during the state inspection ? Now it rides at 80 with no vibration.

By the way there are other mentions of the road force balance in edmunds, you need some special machine (Hunter 9700). It just balances the tire with a load on it simulating what the weight of vehicle would do to the tire. Mine discovered that the tire place had put the tire on in a bad spot. The heavy point on the tire and the heavy point on the rim were lined up and this caused some of the issue. They remounted the bad tire 180 degrees from where it was and rebalanced.
  • Can somebody let me know how I change or clean the airflow sensor as well as how I change the light bulb for the D that has burned out?
    Thank you very much. This is a great site.
    George
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    Type in AIR FLOW and you will get some information from posts I my self have done it and if I can anyone can... Good Luck
  • I will be taking my 1999 RX300 FWD to a local Toyota dealer for the 90K service in the near future. I anticipate having the following work performed:

replace timing belt
    replace drive belt(s)
    replace engine oil & filter
    replace coolant
    replace brake fluid
    replace transmission fluid
    inspect A/C system, ball joints, chassis & body, brake system, fuel system, steering linkage
    check differential fluid
    road test

These items were taken from The Edmunds Maintenance Guide, my Owner's Manual and postings found on this forum. I have recently replaced the air and cabin filters and rotated the tires. Anything else I should consider? I believe someone here had suggested replacing the water pump at this interval, would this be advisable? Many thanks.

Pete
    :confuse:
  • mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    I will be having the same done at the Toyota dealer to my 01 RX in a few months when I reach 90K. I plan on skipping the water pump, as it is not a maintenance item and rarely fails on the Toyota V6. I also plan on having them use Toyota Ultra Long Life Pink to replace the Toyota Long Life Red coolant. It will be good for 100k instead of the usual 30K. Be sure and post when you get a quote for this work.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Keep in mind that many of these items are routine and do not require any level of skill to perform, McD flipper graduates are the typical help, meaning you should expect and be prepared to check over the vehicle VERY thoroughly, all the drain plugs re-installed, etc, before you drive it off the service lot.

I would NEVER allow my brake fluid be "touched" absent a repair requirment.