Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    No water pooled under the spare?
  • I knew someone would have this problem after me. I replaced my IAC. Post it if the problem returns, or persists; I am curious. The part is not cheap.
  • pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    The part I removed and cleaned was the Mass Air Flow (MAF) meter not the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve if this is what you are referring to!

Pete :)
  • My wife drives a '02 RX and it has been flawless until 89K. Recommended service has been performed religiously at all recommended intervals. However, the transmission began to shudder at low speeds and became quite concerning. I read on ClubLexus that this is a common issue with all the V6 3.0L models, i.e. - sc300, es300, rx300.

I took it to my local shop for a ATF drain and refill hoping that that might resolve the issue. My mechanic mentioned that the ATF was very grayish in color. I later found out that Lexus is now recommending ATF changes at 15K interval because of this problem.

Well, unfortunately, the drain and refill didn't work. So I took it to Lexus and had the problem diagnosed rather quickly. The tech that I took a test drive with immediately confirmed that I needed a new tranny.

Fortunately, I purchased a 5yr/100K extended 3rd party warranty just in case. The disadvantage with going with a third party though is they wanted to put "their" rebuilt transmission in. Which junk yard might they have found it was a concern to me. Lexus said they would put in a Lexus rebuilt one for the difference of $700. The warranty from Lexus was also much better than from the warranty company. Guess which I went with! I guess I'm still ahead since I'm also getting a new antenna motor and they are discounting the timing belt, water pump and spark plug change recommended for the 90K service. They said since they are already getting paid by my warranty company for the tranny labor they would give me a break on the other replacements.

The best part of this is they have given me a loaner no charge for the time it takes to get my car back. It looks like it might be ready by the end of next week, so that's a loaner for 1½ weeks no charge. You can't beat that.
    The bad news is that Toyota and Lexus are well aware of the problem of premature transaxle failures in these vehicles. Based on my reading of the various postings of the out-of-warranty accomodations dealers are making for owners I suspect a "secret" warranty program is in play.

The "wheel" must squeak loudly before it gets "greased".
  • mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    I agree with wwest about a secret warranty in play. I know others have called Lexus Customer Satisfaction about out of warranty trans failures and Lexus seems to pick up 50% of the tab in most cases. I wouldn't be surprised if something official comes out soon similar to the engine gelling warranty.
    Also you mentioned they are discounting the timing, water pump, and plugs at 90K. That's great but the only one of the three required at 90K is the timing belt. I just had mine done at a Toyota dealer for $339.
  • ski5erski5er Posts: 1
    Just yesterday I began having the same problem as #8768 with the console light. I look forward to hearing from someone. thanks
  • I have a 2003 RX300 that has been giving me a skid warning with relatively gentle turns. Started maybe a year ago and has been getting more frequent. Recently it came on even while I was going straight, and even adjusted the traction or something--made the car/steering wheel swerve a little bit. Anyone have a similar problem?
  • I have a 2003 RX 300. A Lexus dealer was going to charge me $700 for the 30,000 mile service (flush radiator, oil, fluids, check belts, whatever else). I found a local mechanic who did it for about $270. Haven't tried the local Toyota dealer.
    Check and make sure your tires are all equally inflated/worn, especially the fronts.
    Done "by-the-book" the 30k service should be less than $100.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    Check out the Edmunds Maintenance Guide too.

Steve, Host
  • mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    Don't know how you can get "by the book" 30k done for less than $100 unless it's DIY or you leave out at least one of the by the book items like brake fluid change or coolant change.
  • I have a 2000 RX with about 86,000 miles. I've never had any problems with it, then today, I was running errands, started the car, and it died immediately. I tried about 5 times, and every time it started right up, then the engine immediately died unless I kept giving it gas. I finally got going by putting it in neutral and keeping my foot on the gas, then drove it to a mechanic (not the dealer, but a local independent who works on Lexus/Toyota's, very reliable), and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. Of course, by the time I got there it had stopped stalling, and was running fine. Has anyone else had this problem, and know what causes it? The mechanic told me to just wait and see if it happened again before he started charging me for fixing things that may or may not be causing the problem.
  • I solved this exact problem om my 2000 RX by cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve(IACV)with carburator cleaner. Not difficult to do yourself, or ask a knowledgeable mechanic to do it. I imagine the dealer would try to sell a new one, but I found that not necessary. Search IACV in the search box below and you may find more details on the procedure.
  • bwong06bwong06 Posts: 43
    My lexus is close to 50,000 miles now and am planning to replace the horrible GY.

That being said, I've been reading around and know the cross terrain is the best tire for the Lexus. But i live in Arizona were there is no rain, no snow, and just dry driving conditions. Is the Cross Terrain the best tire, or can i buy something cheaper with the same handling on roads and highways.
  • Thanks, mrbentwrench, I'll give that a try.
    Since I lean more toward a nice quiet and comfortable ride my 2001 AWD RX300 is shod with "summer" Bridgestone Turanzas.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Posts: 154
    I live in AZ (Phx) too and have the Cross Terrains. With Costco offering a discount on the Michellins (plus free tire rotations/nitrogen) it is a no brainer to go with it. Even though rain etc is not an issue in AZ, my friend's 2002 RX with Geolanders makes a funny howling noise on freeway cruising. The Michellins were smoother and quieter.