Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    I haven't had any experience with the Alenza's but the specs look real good. There was one poster over at CL that said he went from CT's to Alenza'a and the ride was harsher. I also think the wear rating of CT's is slightly better.
  • joanziejoanzie Posts: 51
    Anyone have an RX300 that has had to change their batteries in the remote? I have 45,000 miles on mine. Wondering if I should go ahead and change them since the car 2001 is 5 yrs.old! Thanks, Joanzie
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    I have 135,000 on my '99 and haven't changed a battery. I have alternated between the two keys.
  • pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    I just replaced both of mine (99 RX300) to be on the safe side. To change the battery, remove the tiny screw on the key bow using a #00 jewelers' Phillips screwdriver to access and remove the module. The replacement is a 3 v. lithium coin battery: Duracell DL1616, Eveready ECR1616, Panasonic CR1616 or equivalent. I suggest a drop of anaerobic threadlocker adhesive on the screw when re-installing. A tool-removable, blue-color, medium-strength formula such as Loctite "242" or Permatex "locks nuts™" is appropriate.

Pete :)
    I am going to need new tires in the near future. They are P225/70R16. I have been seen several different tires recommended over the last couple of years in this forum. (I know there is a tire forum.) Any thoughts on the pros and cons of the following: Michelin LTX, Michelin Cross Terrains, Bridgestone Dueler Alenza, and the Nokia WR or any other suggestions. I am in the SF Bay area and drive in 7 or 8 inches of snow five or six times a year down an unplowed, one mile long road with some icy spots. But other than that just 5 months of off and on rain. I am most interested in long wear, quiet, and good traction in snow and ice in that order. I see Costco has a sale on for another few days with $60 off some Michelins although not sure which ones. Thanks in advance for the help.
  • pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    Scroll up to Msg# 8963 above and see also 8964-8970.

Pete :)
  • jguojguo Posts: 49
    I just changed to Michelin LTX from the Goodyear integrity at Costco. In my opinion, the handling of the RX was much more responsive, slightly quieter, ride is about the same.

I was debating between LTX and Cross Terrains. Seems like both tires have good reviews. Cross Terrains had better wear rating, 700 vs. 500 of the LTX. In the end, I choose LTX because it's cheaper.
    Are you saying that the handling was better with the Goodyear tires? Or that the handling is better now?
  • Please explain use of nitrogen. Why is it better than plain air?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,004
    There's a recent thread about it over in Tires, Tires, Tires:

sandman46, "Tires, tires, tires" #5596, 21 Jun 2006 9:47 am

It's "dry" air and may leak less. I wouldn't drive out of my way or pay anything to put it in my tires based on what I've read about it to date. The green valve caps are sort of cool. :)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jguojguo Posts: 49
    Sorry, I meant the LTX make the RX handles much better. With the Goodyear, the RX handled like a bus.
  • The light that illuminates the gear selection on the shifter is out in my 01 RX. So, not only is my "D" light out on the dash, it's a double whammy! I bought a D light bulb a few months ago, and will install it someday soon.

But this other one...does anyone have a clue as to how I'd start to take the bottom part of the console apart to access the bulb? Thanks to all.
  • remove the wood bezel first by pulling it up and out from the bottom and work your way up to the hazard light area,it uses clips to hold it in place, the rest is easy once you reveal the area
    I assume you have checked the fuse. My shifter light/lights went out as did some of the lights on the stereo/climate control panel, although not all. Turned out to be a blown fuse in the fuse box behind the storage area on the lower dash to the left of the driver's knee. Mine is a 300 so I don't know if the fuses are in the same place on a 330. Fuse went out twice within a couple of weeks but the last fuse I put in has lasted 6 months.
  • kwhkwh Posts: 66
    My 2000 RX300 has a new problem. When you start it up it dies immediately. Engine turns over, cranks, RPM needle falls flat and instrument guage goes black - kind of what I always called choking down in the old days.

Solution for now - keep foot on gas after the engine turns over let the car warm up for 3-4 minutes. After a few tries the car moves but RPMs are very low. After running the car a few minutes on the road it is idleing perfect again. May go a week or so and run perfect - then crank it up one morning and engine dies.

The car is due for a 90,000 mile check. Any ideas of something I should get checked. Is everybody replacing timing belt at 90,000 or waiting until later?
    Thanks for any help.
  • joanziejoanzie Posts: 51
    Just got back driving from New jersey to Cheyenne Wyoming which is very wide open on Route #80 and we did 95 MPH and did not even feel like we were moving my husband says this car would probably go 120 MPH. How fast have you gone in your Rx 300? Thanks Joanzie
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • I hab\ve the same deal RX300 2000 86,000 miles, When you start it up it dies immediately. Engine turns over, cranks, RPM needle falls flat. Any ideas?
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    Maybe this will help some... I've seen multiple posts in the forums for some MAF (mass air flow sensor) failures some folks have had as the most common reason for driveability problems, although I've never experienced any myself. My Service Advisor also warned about a sticky idle solenoid when they get old as a possible potential wear item where carbon deposits can develop, but again mine has been fine.

You can use the "search" function and find a wealth of tips from prior posts about these. Maybe even check the (Highlander forums for info on the 3 liter V6, too?) If you are handy at all, you can pull the MAF and clean it (and the air cleaner, etc.) and I believe the same is true with the "idle solenoid", however I don't have a shop manual.

Either should be easy to clean or replace once diagnosed.

Can you get the car running to get it to an "AutoZone" auto parts store to get the Check Engine error codes read? Or, perhaps trust a Toyota dealer, where the repairs would be a bit less expensive?

Please report back and let us know what you found out, and how it was fixed. If this doesn't help, perhaps someone else could share?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Lexus RX 300/330/350