Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    ws4funws4fun Member Posts: 4
    I'm in Chicago and got a deal during Lexus' "Golden Opportunity" end-of-year sale - a 2001 new RX300 4WD with every add-ons except Nav/HID. The price is $36600 plus tax/title. It is my favorite Indigo/Ivory color combination and the only one left in the lot.

Is this a good deal? Should I go for it or wait for a "better" opportunity? (Didn't see a lot of Chicagoan in this board but I'm sure seeing a lot of Rex around the town - what deal do you guys expect at this moment?).

Cardirect.com gives $36438 on the exact car but I think the service quality of my current dealership worth the $200 difference.
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    Don't order Hidden Hitch #90647 as indicated in post 2747. It is an older square tube class 2 hitch. The new hitch is #70777. It is a class 3 round tube hitch. It is the one I used along with some others about a month ago.
  • Options
    jtbethjtbeth Member Posts: 1
    You need a new oxygen sensor ... also, you may want to check for oil sludge ... remove the dipstick and look for a jello-like black sludge. If you see this sludge, you need to get your engine cleaned (i.e. desludged) ... not a cheap operations ... probable cost for RX300 is $1200 for parts and $2600 for labor ... $4000 total (incl. tax). You could get it cleaned for less money, but Lexus won't honor your engine warranty unless they perform this 'desludging' operation. Good luck!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Where is this crap coming from?

If you have properly maintained your RX and Lexus discovers that the engine is "sludged up" there is no way in hell that they can say it is your fault. If they do then my advice would be to get a good lawyer, one who knows an expert witness on auto mechanics.
  • Options
    Please take your concerns and questions to the Engine Sludge? discussion. Thanks!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    You're correct about the O2 sensor being the most likely cause of the "check engine" indicator staying on.
    The other alledged possibility re "sludge" is, by any stretch of the imagination, alarmist. You're talking about a condition which is being spammed all over the net by about a half dozen nut cases who get their jollies from playing mind games! It's a nasty little hoax.
  • Options
    knight11knight11 Member Posts: 2
    I have followed your group for about 6 months and enjoy what has almost become an extended family. Never had anything to bring to the table until now. New brochures for 2002 RX 300 are at some or maybe all dealers. I have been trying to decide as some of you whether to buy now or wait for 2002 model and now have my answer. Put my order in for a 2001 silver/black/nav today by phone to the salesman I have been "bugging" for last 6 months. Changes to 2002 are almost none. Brochures from 2001 & 2002 use most of the same pictures and after comparing them could only find the following:

No longer have the Nakamichi audio option.

Added a "Black Pearl Emblem Kit"

One other small difference but can't remember it now and too tired to look it up. (I'm sure the experts Tony, WWest, and you others will check it out very carefully and let us all know)

IMHO I would buy now to get the benefit of the advertised clearance sale. I have 8 Lexus dealers within an hours drive and have have leased 3 LS 400s for my wife from the same local dealer. When I called today they did not have what I wanted but did a search and found one 60 miles away. My salesman was going to have it delivered on an exchange tonight to the local dealer. Will go in this Sunday and talk numbers. (Don't know the asking price yet but will surely agree on one and will let you know.

Thanks for all the information in the past. It really has been educational and interesting.

Chet
  • Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I'm concerned about Mikey00's advise about the RX300 hitch. #70777 is indeed a Class III round tube receiver for the Toyota Highlander. I believe its use on the RX could cause some to seriously exceed the tow capacity of this vehicle. The recommened #90647 is Class II - 1-1/4" square receiver with 3,500# GTW equals the Lexus' maximum tow rating. The Class III with 2" square receiver is rated at 5,000# GTW on the Highlander. Hidden Hitch does not recommend the use of hitches which could exceed the maximum GTW rating of any vehicle. With reference to avery1's discussion of the Toyota wiring adapter, I don't believe this is applicable to the 1999 RX. The OEM trailer wiring harness for that year consisted of three cables and an isolator unit. The connectors plug in at points behind both taillights and are difficult to access. The isolator unit is needed since the brake light and turn signal functions work through seperate amber and red lights on the RX, it is needed to adapt trailer common lamp systems where brakes, turn signals and marker lights are in the same bulb. This may not be the case with later years but it is the way the 1999 model is set up. The Hoppy #46255 kit will solve this problem. It is my understanding that the OEM trailer wiring harness is (or at least was) not sold seperately, but only comes as part of the factory hitch package, thus any aftermarket hitch would need a generic taillight converter. I hope these comments are helpful!

Pete
  • Options
    If you go to the Hidden Hitch website you will see the #70777 is indeed recommended for the RX (99-2001). It is the one I used and posted about a month ago along with others on this forum. I have never heard any negative comments from any of those who installed it. It is also the most popular one over on the HL forum.
    As for the wiring I can only speak for 2000-2001. I suspect the 99 is the same but don't know for sure. Jfetter covered the wiring in post #2751.
  • Options
    The dealer made his 4th unsuccessful attempt at repair yesterday. A previous post on the HL forum referenced a older Lexus bulletin # which the dealer performed but does not apply to this "newer" popping sound.
    The only thing I know sure is that it is from the sunroof area and happens when the car is warm from sitting in sun and you get in and drive with the air on. Try this experiment: After car is warm, drive with air on and vents directed toward sunroof. Popping happens fairly quick. Try this again with vents directed away form sunroof. Popping still happens but takes much longer. Try it again with sunroof shade closed. No noise because cool air never reaches sunroof.
  • Options
    jmelsonjmelson Member Posts: 3
    I would like to get ski racks for our '01 RX300. Any suggestions on what brand and where to get the best price?

Jeff
  • Options
    robz3robz3 Member Posts: 28
    What does the RX300 take? Regular, Premium? 87 or 92 octane?
  • Options
    drummerboydrummerboy Member Posts: 30
    Any grade 87-92 will work... I use 87 cuz it's cheaper.
  • Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I stand corrected Mike, #70777 is indeed now listed as applicable to the RX300 as well as the #90647. I was referencing the "Hidden Hitch 2001 Fit Guide" which does not include this up-dated information. I still question the wisdom of using a Class III - 5,000# hitch on a vehicle with a 3,500# maximum tow rating. Perhaps some might make this selection solely to secure a 2" receiver for other than towing purposes, such as mounting bike racks etc. which utilize this size tow bar. Sorry for the confusion.

Pete
  • Options
    pliang93pliang93 Member Posts: 2
    I am not impress with lexus services at all. I had my rx300 serviced 4 times in different lexus dealer. My last service was nightmare. I came back after two hours of service thhey still made me wait in front door for 45mins(be exactly, service consulting ask me paid the bill and wait in front-door, the car will be there a minute. They didn't state the vehicle was not ready). Turn out they forget to service my vehicle and do it last minutes. Even worst they told me the vehicle in handwash(for 45mins..??). The oil-marks at over my door panel and steeling wheel. After I check my engine compartment. my coolant level in low and steeling oil in low. I paid $80 just simple oil change and handwash(???) my car. By the way, the dealer(NJ) was on the list of 2000 elite too.
  • Options
    Lexus may care, the dealers don't....
  • Options
    tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    ...there is Lexus of Greenville, SC, where "you will need to expect slight scratches on your car after Service"! I was told so by the SA in presence of the Service Manager!!! "What can we do against people walking through between the cars, scratching them with their cell phones" was one of the excuses. The only people walking inbetween the cars which are in for service, are Lexus people - teach THEM some common sense behavior!

I was rather speechless after this lesson of ignorance. After I had caught my breath and discussed the relentless pursuit of perfection (I wonder how many SA could spell this correctly...) at length, they kept the Rex for another day to give it a complete detail for free. The scratches, you guessed it, are still visible - but there is no option dealer-wise.

Tarik
  • Options
    Lexus of Bellevue, after I discovered a severe scratch, not enough to call it a gouge, in the right front of my bumper, explained it "away" by telling me that the area where the car got its free wash job after servicing was just a little "tight" and the gofers who washed the car often had trouble getting a car as big as an LS in and out without...
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I was hit by a 1984 Camry today while driving home from church. The driver was looking for her (a girl, what did u expect? heehee) cell phone, and so she ran a red light and hit my RX at approximately 35 mph.
    Our cars hit on the sides, and then her car spun in front of my car, and I hit her again on the side. Both of our cars spun and ended up on the center divider.
    Fortunately, no one is seriously hurt. I'm perfectly fine, and she only has a slight pain in her waist area.
    I already have several witnesses who saw her ran the red, so I won't be liable for the damages. My only concern is how well my RX can be repaired (it's pretty damaged in the front and the side), and how this will affect the resale value of the car. My estimate is that the repair cost might go beyond 10K, since just the HID lights will cost 1K. Luckily she has insurance!
    I'll keep you guys posted on how the repair goes. I'm definitely glad I purchased a safe and big car! Drive safely!
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    If at all possible have the car totaled. If your airbags deployed then the HID and SRS alone should exceed $3000. My 94 ES300 Anniversary Edition was hit by someone in maybe an 82' Mercury in the front end, never drove the same. If your concerned about trade in value it definitely does affect it, you or the dealer(you traded the car to) will have to disclose this info if asked by a prospective buyer.

Doesn't it always seem as if people driving cars that are older than 10yrs are aiming at you :(
  • Options
    jfetterjfetter Member Posts: 29
    Simply installing a class III hitch obviously doesn't mean you can tow more than the RX's recommended 3,500 lbs. Like anything else, you need to verify the weight of what you plan to tow and make sure it fits within the limits of the tow vehicle. Even class II loads could exceed 3,500 lbs or the tongue weight could be off, simply having faith that anything class II is OK is not really a good way to gauge the weight before you tow. I personally like the look of the round class III hitch along with the more common 2" receiver but of course I know enough to verify the weight of the load first...

Jfetter
  • Options
    joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    Tony, any problems with scratches, etc. at our dealer in N.J.? I'm assuming you take it there for your oil change since you work close by, Im getting ready to take mine in and thought I'd ask, Also do they really charge $80.00 for an oil change? I have a great mechanic in Red Bank, I can go to also that I have been dealing with for 30 years and a lot of cars, I can go there even with a lexus as long as I save my receipts,right? Thanks for all your input.
  • Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Yea, the oil changes are a rip-off. We actually paid about $90(?) last week for a oil change and tire rotation at a LI Lexus dealer. The only reason I did this was because my wife was taking the Rex on a trip upstate in the mountains to visit her parents, I didn't have time to shop around and the car needed some minor warranty work at the same time. So I let her take it local and told her to do the oil change.

With regards to Catena NJ (or any dealer), my one complaint with them is NEVER let them hand wash your car. I forgot to tell the SA at the 1000 mile service (which they gave me a loaner for a simple 1 hour inspection, cool!) to NOT wash the car. When I got it back it was washed, but you could see water marks and drips where the dirty wash water had dried. Because it's black and scratches easily, I always wash my Rex myself.

If you save the receipts, you can have your oil changed anywhere and still have the warranty honored. All parts and fluids must meet Lexus guidelines as indicated in the owner's manual. If I was you, I'd order the appropiate Toyota/Lexus oil filters from a discount place and then simply give them to your local mechanic at oil change time. I'm thinking about doing the same thing, I'll only bring the car to Lexus for major service intervals (15k, 30k, etc)in the future.

TC
  • Options
    malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    YOu can save significant amt of $$ if you get an oil change ($30-40) vs the 3500 or 5000 mile service ($80-100). The latter includes oil changes, and inspection of fluids. Having it done at a Toyota dealer is another option
  • Options
    mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    It always gets up my nose a bit when I read that line ("inspection of fluids") on the service order, for which we pay $65-$75/ hr. I used to do this when I worked at a service station (back in the pre-Cambrian era, etc etc) for every car that came through full-service side. I made the princely sum of $4.50/hr. The dealer made a couple of cents/gal.
  • Options
    It seems like these JD Power studies come out every month....

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    I always buy my oil filters at the Lexus dealer and that way I get that NICE receipt that they can't deny.

Cost a little extra but GOOD insurance.
  • Options
    hobbybaashobbybaas Member Posts: 11
    I've been reading the Oil Change postings, and I am in need of getting my 10,000 mile oil change. I am planning on going to a Toyota dealership to save a few $$$, but was wondering if other RX300 owners have had a good expierence in doing so. Also, is it advisable to purchase your oil filter at a Lexus dealership and bring it in to Toyota, or can a filter just be purchased at the Toyota dealership. Thanks everyone for your helpful postings!
  • Options
    jiffinjiffin Member Posts: 9
    While I have not had Lexus RX300 servicing done at my local Toyota dealer, I do plan to have him do the 10,000 miles service. I went by this dealership and reviewed the Lexus service book with the service manager. He has compatible filters and can do all of the servicing except for Lexus unique items such as changing the air conditioning filter which is a check item for the 10K service milestone. Otherwise service is similar to the Toyota Highlander. Should save money and saves me a 180 miles round trip back to my Lexus dealer.
  • Options
    I would actually have to go out to the RX and look at the owners manual to be sure of this but doesn't it call for service at 7500 mile intervals?

My dealer has continually tried to convince me that I should use the "severe service" schedule but IMO the only thing that accomplishes is to put more change in his pocket.
  • Options
    I have not taken it to a Toyota dealer, but my am planning on it for the next change. I did call Toyota up, they are able to it for about $20. BIG SAVINGS!!
  • Options
    carbon7carbon7 Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody successfully installed a hands free kit for a Nokia 6100 or similar? I'd like it to operate via the car speakers. I'm interested in what parts they used, wiring harnesses, brackets, antenna, and anything that worked or didn't work during the installation. Thanks for any information.
  • Options
    wwest: Yes you are correct about the 7,500 service intervals. However, severe service intervals are at 5K and hence the 10K service. I tend to agree with you that too many people are changing their oil far too often. I still stick with the 5000 mile Lexus recommended service schedule. I guess I didn't feel it was quite as bad as the 3000 mile interval some dealers try to talk you into.
    I had all work on my 2000 RX done at the dealer for his high prices. I have since traded in my 2000 for a 2001 and now have my oil changes done at Jiffy Lube.
  • Options
    Can anyone make sense out of the Toytota oil filter part numbers? The RX uses a 90915-YZZB9, yet the HL uses 90915-YZZB1. All aftermarket filters use the same number for both. Do you think if we cut open both Toyota part numbers there really is a difference?
  • Options
    Here is a response from www.toyotaguys.com on the above:

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the inquiry! The numbers are correct although I don't see
    that much difference between the 2 filters. The YZZB9 number is twice
    the price of the YZZB1. I would sell the YZZB9 at a toyotaguys price of
    $7.10 each if you are interested. Let me know and I'll build you a
    custom page to order from.

Thanks Mike,
    Larry@toyotaguys
  • Options
    Calls for mobil 1 and oil changes only every 15K miles. Of course an oil change is 12 quarts so maybe most of us six quart types should stick to 7500 miles.
  • Options
    rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    Some a--hole stole my Lexus hitch cover so I am in the market for a new one. Does anyone know where I can buy one that can be locked into the receiver opening using one of the locking hitch pins? I don't want any thing real gawdy but a nice cover with the Lexus name would be nice.

We are still waiting for the dealer to receive backordered parts so a clunking noise in the front end can be fixed. Not sure what the problem is. Finally got the driver's seat repaired due to multiple cracks in the leather seat cushion. Glove box door still rattles at times. Hope to get if fixed when the parts for the front end come in.

Still no resolution on the rumbling noise at idle although it is somewhat improved after the last service. Any ideas on what could be the problem would be appreciated. Rumbling is only present when transmission is in Drive or Reverse, vehicle is sitting still and idling. Noise stops when transmission is in Neutral or Park or when you start moving.
  • Options
    parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    I have my RX serviced at a Toyota dealership for routine maintenance. I've never had a problem. I keep all the receipts, of course, for warranty purposes. Since they've got the highlander now, they have most of the exact same parts.
  • Options
    senlamaisenlamai Member Posts: 2
    I've been comparing the invoice prices for the RX300 from carsdirect.com and edmunds.com and difference is approximately $424. does anybody know what the difference is? I believe it may be due to dealer advertising.. Is this a correct assumption? Also, is dealer advertising a cost I should be paying, I'm intended to purchase the vehicle from a dealer in south Florida. Thanks!
  • Options
    tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
  • Options
    tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    I believe you will find that Edmunds price does not include the dest. charge
    TRON
  • Options
    izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    What is the clunking noise (front band back) that you are referring to? In the last week or so I have been hearing a clunking noise from the back that seems to appear when I turn the car (esp. left) and also seems to have something to do with the breaks engaging and being released. Is that what you noticed? What did the dealer say the problem was with your car? I am supposed to go in this week to have a problem fixed that is causing my check engine light to come on (apparently some small part in the transmission - solenoid? - needs to be replaced. Anyone has any thoughts on that?) so I could have the dealer check on the clunk too.
    Anyone else experienced the type of sound I am describing? Could this be the strut mounts? I had my front ones replaced a few months ago but the sound I experienced then was more of a thump and manifested itself mostly when going through bumps and potholes in the road.
  • Options
    I have installed the Nokia 6190 myself to save some money. I used the "Navigator One Piece Plug in Hands Free Kit" (approx $30). This kit has a speaker that is built into the back of the unit with a volume dial located on the right hand side and sensitive microphone located right in front. I disassembled this kit and removed the lighter plug to get to the two wires. I then removed the wood panel from the RX and connected the 2 wires into the lighter sockets, so I don't have to mess around with the fuses. I then screwed the Navigator kit onto a custom metal plate "Pro-Fit". I also got a 6 ft extention ($5) to connect my microphone from phone to top of the wisor. All the wires are hidden behind the wood panel, and the trimming around the passenger door. All the work is very simple, clean, and non-visible. Now my phone is easily removable, if I needed to take it out, secured, charged, and looks professional. I saved about $250. The only thing I can't do is smoke, since I removed the connection from the lighter. But, I don't smoke to begin with.
  • Options
    mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    izabelajohn, the rear strut mounts (and the struts themselves) have been as problematic as the fronts, so it is indeed possible that your new noise originates there. get the service guy to ride with you so yoiu can be sure that they are aware of precisely what you hear, when you hear it.
    one of my pet peeves is to pick up the car and find "problem could not be duplicated" on the service ticket, then take 'em for a ride, point out what i wanted them to hear/see/fix/whatever, and have the service tech say something like: "Oh THAT!!! We wondered but weren't sure....."
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Nice to know that Consumer Reports still considers the "old" midsize RX the best pick among newer competitors:

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/home.jsp

Select "All Things Auto" at this site for their ratings.

• Options
    The other party's insurance company has agreed to allow me to rent any car comparable to my RX for the next 6 weeks. Today a nearby car rental gave me an Infiniti G20. They said they'll call me tomorrow when they get their QX4 back. I'll keep you guys posted on how the QX4 compare to the RX. Drive safely!
  • Options
    Don't put any tall people in the back seat they may sue for head injuries.
  • Options
    rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    My noise is definitely coming from the front. Not sure if it is the struts or something in the steering column. I will find out after the vehicle is returned to me tomorrow.
  • Options
    This is the info for the 2000 RX and oil filters.

RX uses Toyota oil filter. {Same company, but the filter Box reads Toyota as opposed to Lexus for the GS). Toyota Part number reads 08922-02011 interchangeable 90915-20001 So for folks who intend to get the oil change at Toyota dealership can get the filter from the parts store at Toyota.