Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• dsa420dsa420 Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Rx that I bought brand new in TX last year. At this dealership, all repairs and services were covered for 30k miles. Unfortunately, I moved to the SF bay area, where I found that I would basically have to pay for evey service that the car required. I am coming up on my 15k service, and I have been told that this service will cost around $500. When hearing the list of services that will be performed, this price seemed ridiculous. I called my Tx. dealership, and they only charge $285 for the same thing. Is this service really something that needs to be done at a Lexus dealership? Any advice would help, as getting the service done elsewhere would save of money!!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The 2001 AWD T&C MiniVan doesn't have VSC, Trac, nor HID, but it does have steering wheel mounted radio controls.

If the T&C added VSC, Trac, and HID, would you buy one?
  • dsa420dsa420 Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Rx that I bought brand new in TX last year. At this dealership, all repairs and services were covered for 30k miles. Unfortunately, I moved to the SF bay area, where I found that I would basically have to pay for evey service that the car required. I am coming up on my 15k service, and I have been told that this service will cost around $500. When hearing the list of services that will be performed, this price seemed ridiculous. I called my Tx. dealership, and they only charge $285 for the same thing. Is this service really something that needs to be done at a Lexus dealership? Any advice would help, as getting the service done elsewhere would save of money!!
  • tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    I had the same problem with my Pontiac recently. All that is stated in the owners manual is to "change the oil and rotate the tires" at 15K, should have cost $60 according to dealer's published prices ($30 oil change/$30 rotation). Well, guess what? Dealer service departments don't make much money just doing "what's in the manual", so they invent their own maintence procedures for higher revenues. They'll do things that aren't necessarily required by the manufacturer just to give you a higher bill. I sent my wife to do the 15K service on the Pontiac and she came home with a $230 bill... I nearly hit the roof! They changed all kinds of fluids that weren't required at that service interval.

The problem is that manufacturers are producing cars that can go longer with less intensive maintenance than in the past. You still have to change your oil and inspect the vehicle, but not much else until you rack up the miles. This is a disaster to the dealers who get a large part of their income from the service end of the business, NOT new car sales as most people think. In fact, I know dealers who will take a loss on a car sale if they think they can make it up on the service end.

Before you take it in for service, have the service advisor print you out a sheet of what's being done for the money at that service interval. If it doesn't match what's in your owners manual, then request it doesn't get done. Your warranty only obligates you to do what's in the manual.

It's your choice.
    Regardless of what any dealer says, DO NOT allow them to classify your vehicle as ROUGH service (unless you really do tow a trailer, etc, etc.) when it comes time to have any vehicle serviced.

I put over 250 thousand miles on two Ford Squire station wagons without ever changing out or refilling the rear differential. I did replace both automatic transmissions because the clutches were worn out, but I never drained and refilled any of the four transissions nor replaced their filters.

My 1992 Lexus LS400 has had the engine oil & filter changed out every 4,000 miles, only once by the Lexus dealer, and ONE oxygen sensor replaced since new.

Most of what they want to do other than oil change and filter(S) at any service less than 50-60K (rubber timing belt) is needless.

Engine lubricating oil is designed/formulated to maintain foreign materials in SUSPENSION, so they will be removed from circulation when the oil is drained.

Every automatic transmission I have ever over-hauled (3, maybe 4?) had a 1/4" or more of "sludge" (clutch facing material) in the pan. Transmission oil, hydraulic fluid, if not over-heated, will last forever.

I have heard that the Boeing 737 has no scheduled change-out of the fluid in its numerous hydraulically operated systems.
    The latest edition of "Inside Lexus" is online now.

The SilverSport is on the cover and there is a great letter to the editor about a RX300 owner that survived a collision and rollover.

• cas5cas5 Posts: 8
    #1267. Can you tell me which dealership you used and whether or not you had to haggle a lot?
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    SmallHat1 -

No, I'm NOT going to post my Lexus calendar photo and for a very good reason.

Don't you just hate when this happens to you?

My girlfriend was with me that particular weekend and had just finished her cover photo shoot for Sports Illustrated's swimsuit edition and...well, my wife is getting more and more touchy as she gets older. You know how there's just no reasoning with some people.

But you'll be pleased to hear that I did autograph several copies of the calendar photo for all the older salesman at the dealership; for some reason, I'm like a God to them now.

But thanks for asking.

Jeff
  • sybelesybele Posts: 42
    Does anybody know where can I get a set of rear seat covers at a decent price? My local dealer is trying to reap me off!
    Let's see, Lexus, DEALER, RIP-off, isn't there some sort of flow to this?

Don't buy accessories from ANY car dealer, including (especially) Lexus. Look around for what you want, with pricing, on the internet first.
  • parnolaparnola Posts: 140
    Interesting about the reported scarcity of black on black - when we got our '01 AWD RX in October our local dealer (Dayton, OH - not exactly a big market by any standards) had two B on B available. I've since seen several on the lot there.
  • adpcsadpcs Posts: 57
    I bought the car from Westside Lexus. I basically went in with a price, they came back with their's and the deal was done. They had to get the car from another dealership in town, but that was no problem. E-mail me if you have any more specific questions...
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    FYI, when MB was running the Powertrip, the '01 RX300s were not even out yet. In fact, it would've been a few months before the '01s were available, hence the reason why they didn't/couldn't use one for their demos. Although a vehicle may be equipped with stability control, its setup can be very different from another stability system equiped vehicle. For example, BMW's DSC allows for a bit more play than MB's system, presumably because BMW feels that their drivers may wish to have a bit more "fun". Other than these software tweaks, MB's and BMW's systems are the same physically.

I'm not sure which company manufacturers Toyota's VSC, but you can bet that it has different characteristics than either MB's or BMW's.

Good luck...

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • r22549r22549 Posts: 42
    MSRP 40601....Will lease for 524 , total payment 2933...3/36 lease....will sell for 38k....I live in CT....
    Honestly, I don't know because I've never driven one. But if it had all the safety advantages, luxury, reliability, customer service, power and handling as a RX300, sure I would definitely consider it. I'd be a fool not to.

But then again, it's made by Chrysler....
    MAY BE off subject, but then maybe NOT.

A fellow employee has a 99 Olds Alero that was bought second hand from a rental agency. Yesterday morning he noticed that one of the tires seemed somewhat low so he pumped it up slightly. Within a block or so a warning light came on on the dash indicating "low tire pressure". He went back to the station and inflated all three of the other tires equal to the other one.

An ALERO with tire pressure detection. Maybe, it was a rental car...

After some discussion around the water fountain and considering the circumsatnces under which this all happened we concluded that OLDs must be computing the possiblity of low tire pressure by checking the differential rotation rate using the ABS sensors. Clever, Huh? (if true)

But I am hesitant to believe that an alero came from the factory with actual tire pressure sensors!

Running the RX AWD with differential rotation rates front to rear for an extended period would damage the viscous clutch beyond repair, Do you suppose Lexus might use this technique somewhere down the road?
    "But I am hesitant to believe that an alero came from the factory with actual tire pressure sensors!"

Guess what? It does. I have a '99 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 sedan, which is the sister car to the Olds Alero. And yes, I have tire pressure detection.

I'm not really sure how it works, never looked into it. Just an FYI, they do make aftermarket units which mount in your wheels that run on small watch batteries. They then transmit a signal to a small reciever. These things actually messure true tire pressure.
  • kimwipeskimwipes Posts: 21
    I'd like to give my thanks to everyone who has posted here. Very useful information. Using this info I was able to get my RX300 Premium value package for 36300 (MSRP 40120, Invoice ~35800).
    This was lexus of portland (OR).
    Congrats on the new Rex, that's great price you got on a great vehicle!

Stick around and enjoy the ride.
    Quick follow up, then I'm done with this subject. I did a little checking (curiosity always gets the better of me) and there are no actual sensors on the tires. Since traction control is on this car it must use the same ABS sensors to monitor the wheel rotational differences. It has to take readings over a sufficient distance so as to not confuse traction loss on a wheel with tire diameter changes.