Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    jbbearjbbear Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody have any advice on the best way to change the oilf filter on my '01 RX300? The oil is a piece of cake but it appears as if a contortionist is required for the filter!
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    Does the smell seem musty? My 2001 developed this smell much too soon and is one of the things I want them to check at my 5,000 oil change.

Sometimes, this can be corrected by spraying Lysol into the fresh air intake while the fan is on high.
    When the a/c is used frequently, especially in recirulation mode, a strong, musty odor can develop from the condensation that is collected in a/c mode. One way that's *supposed* to help (hasn't deterred the smell in mine, so far) is to turn the a/c off a minute or so before arriving at the destination. That way, fresh air has a chance to help dry the condensation. Even though there's a drain, some water will stay in the vent area, that's obvious from the bad odor that eminates. BTW, how much are we going to pay when that filter needs replacement?

Now, about that recir. mode....does anyone else get caught wondering why the air coming from the vents is warm, only to discover your temp. control feels it right to engage recirc.? This occurs on sunny, cool days. The interior of the car is telling the computer it needs to run the a/c in recirc. mode for quick cooling, when in reality, the driver chooses to open the windows.

It's one of the quirks of the car that I'm happy to live with because of the joy I gain from driving it.
    (whispering to WWest--I understand what you're saying about this not being a perfect car. But somehow, it just doesn't matter.) I equate it to the mate that is *pretty perfect*, very hot looking, but has a few quirks that make them who they are.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    First: The Lexus LS series is absolutely the best car on the world market today. If I could get a new LS430 in Black Cherry/ivory/light maple with air suspension I would buy it immediately, even be willing to pay a $5000 preminum.

But: A/C smell..

What you are experiencing is pretty standard for ALL Lexii, since day one of the Marque.

In order to achieve the utmost level of comfort and quietness they strive to run the system blower at the lowest possible speed, ALWAYS.

One of the many ways this is achieved is to restrict the amount of cabin airflow exhausted via the exit outlets to an absolute minimum. With no substantial outflow the cabin is much easier to heat or cool and remains relatively warn or cool with little or no "make-up". But the bad news is the cabin atmosphere becomes stale and humid.

The humid part is taken care of by the A/C system, all that humdidty is condensed onto the A/C evaporator vanes. The problem is that one whole hell of a lot of moisture is left on those vanes when you turn off the engine.

Guess what the plenum area of you Lexus is like during the night? Cool, HUMID, sometimes very HUMID, and DARK, an ideal climate for growing mold, mildew, and mushrooms.

Your best bet, if you park it indoors, is to open the sunroof or windows so at least some of the trapped moisture can escape the cabin during the night, every night. Worked for my 92 LS400.

With the A/C running the evaporator vanes are kept just above freezing, typically 34 or 35 degrees F. Once the A/C is shut down it might take up to an hour for the moisture trapped on the vanes to begin to evaporate as the temperature in the evaporator plenum area rises to ambient.

I have a friend who says his Saturn automatically turns on the A/C blower to exhaust the mositure trapped in this manner during the day about an hour after he parks it in his garage at night.

If your garage is unheated, cold at night, this might not happen at all and you will be in for a big "foggy" surprise the next morning when you start up the car.

A/C filters --- $50 !!!

Went to home depot and bought the very best furnce filter, 20x24, $15, then took it apart and made two filters, one for my GS300 and one for my RX300.
  • Options
    mickey7777mickey7777 Member Posts: 5
    I bought my RX at Lexus of Mission Viejo in So. California. I also found the same pricing at Lexus of Riverside. They only had a few 2001,s left in gold or black in AWD. or Nav. I used the internet dept.Which was turned out to be a wonderful experience.
  • Options
    fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    Willard:

Your post regarding humidity in the RX actually makes sense to me. What an odd feeling this is.

Anyway, I've also experienced a high level of humidity in my RX. When I turn on the heater, my windows fog up as if I'm driving on the coast of Maine. It is incredible. Turning off Recirculation is not an option because I live in NYC and the air quality stinks. All I can do is crack the window a slight bit and direct the air to the floor.

The mustiness is a problem, but I think airing out the car helps.

I have a question: How do people here feel about their RX's suspension? I drive in NYC, and the streets here are rougher than some off-road paths. The RX is luxurious over smoother streets, but over small potholes, cracks, construction plates and larger seams, I could feel a slight reverberation in the suspension. I haven't driven other Lexuses so I have nothing to compare to, but I would have thought the RX could take bad road conditions better than I thought (not that it's terrible, but I could see room for improvement).
  • Options
    mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Boys and girls, you may find the degree of detail in Willard's posts tiring and/or tedious, but I, for one, have always appreciated knowing how things work the way they work. Not "kinda" how. Exactly how. Since the systems involved in our cars aren't simple, neither are the answers.

Since Lexus Customer Service does NOT seem particularly tech-oriented or interested, investigation and experimentation are the tools that are left when trying to "reverse engineer" either an explanation or a solution.

So, consider this my (overdue) tribute to Mr. West, his curiousity and his expertise in things automotive. Willard, after you buy me that drink, the second round's mine.
  • Options
    grumbgrumb Member Posts: 21
    Having read some of the posts here I replaced the Integrity's on my 2K RX at 39000 miles ( Still can't believe they were worn by then) with Michelin LTX M/S. I am amazed at the difference. The rid is a little harsher on rough pavement but the traction and cornering; wet and dry is amazing-It's like a different vehicle.

Now I have a question to help bail me out from my stupidity. I was returning skis and didn't want to go to the trouble of putting my roof rack on, so I put them in the vehicle. Naturally I ended up scratching the center console cover ( over the cup holder) with the tips. Any suggestions on how to repair and rebuff that part?
  • Options
    I don't know if this will be of any help to anyone but on my 92 LS I added four 12 volt "muffin" fans, two in each rear quarter panel at each end of the exit airflow channel.

a Diode "OR" gate causes them to turn on anytime the rear window "defog" is on, or the front windshield defog function is activated, and I have a manual switch I can turn them on with.

I was thinking about doing the same thing to the RX300 except also adding timers so they would run automatically for about 15 minutes 60 minutes after the A/C compressor was last "cycled".

But instead I will first try to "sell" my wife on trading up to the ML320. Is it the ML320 or the X5 that has motorized rear side vent windows that can be remotely operated by the driver, just like those on the Chrysler T&C? I wonder if they might both be there for the very same reason?

Oh, I don't think 39000 miles is very bad tire mileage at all for an SUV.
  • Options
    rx2000rx2000 Member Posts: 11
    Anybody know what is the front and rear brake pads replacement kits part number for RX 2000. I try to see whether it is the same as the Highlander or not. We could safe a few buck buying a Toyota part instead of Lexus. Plus it will be available at Toyota Dealer which you can service the SUV there.
  • Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Try checking with www.irontoad.com, the internet sales dept. of Thompson Lexus, Doylestown, PA. Sometimes though, the same part will have different numbers; I believe we discovered this a while back where apparently identical Toyota and Lexus oil filters had different P/Ns!

Pete
  • Options
    rockyballrockyball Member Posts: 22
    For what it's worth, I just called the parts department where I have my RX serviced and was told the updated DVD would probably come in "the spring"
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    I was also told that an update would be out in the spring 02. (Dallas area dealer)
  • Options
    spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    i have heard there will be a new version of the rx300 sometime next year. Is that true -- does anybody have any info/timing on that??

thx.
  • Options
    boris1959boris1959 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, all -
    I have a 2000 Rx300 that was bought 2 years ago (Nov 1999). About 6 months ago the gas mileage dropped considerably from 350 miles to the tank full to 220 or so. Dealer checked it out and found no problem. They suggested possibly AC usage and nothing specific. The gas, driving patterns, and the driver have not changed. I contacted the corporate office and was told that there is nothing they can do for me. There is a lemon law in NJ, so they can have 3 chances to fix it and then I have a case. I would like to resolve it peacefully. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Send your statement to:

customer_satisfaction_enquires@lexus.com

Include your vin#

Putting something in writing cannot be ignored as easily as can a verbal communication.
  • Options
    gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
  • Options
    Certified? Return receipt?
  • Options
    No. Regular mail. But ia have recieved a reply from them - a letter saying that they have received my original letter, so there is proof.
  • Options
    gdanczykgdanczyk Member Posts: 26
    You can get the A/C Filter from irontoad.com for $21.15 plus shipping.
  • Options
    No. Regular mail. But ia have recieved a reply from them - a letter saying that they have received my original letter, so there is proof.
  • Options
    2001rx2001rx Member Posts: 8
    I live in Santa Barbara. The closest Lexus dealer is in Oxnard (where I purchased my 2001RX), some 45 miles distant. Even though the dealership will pickup my RX for service and leave a loaner, I prefer to not have someone putting 90 miles on my lease for an oil change. I have been having the RX serviced at the local Toyota dealer, and they are happy to do it. Today the oil and filter were changed for$23, and the undercarriage inspection and the re-torqueing of the drive train flange bolts was done for free. Since the Highlander is similar to the RX, the Toyota dealer has the knowledge and parts to do a good job.

I thought this might be of interest to others in similar situations.
  • Options
    rkgordonrkgordon Member Posts: 13
    We have decided to get the Lexus over the HL! I convinced my husband that if I got the HL then I would be wishing it was the Lexus. Thanks for the support. Now we're in the pricing stage. We've almost finalized our options but I have a few questions I'd rather ask you owners rather than the dealer. Also, I don't want the dealer to know yet we're 100% decided on this car. 1) Is it important from a safety standpoint to get/have the HID headlamps? Do they really help? 2) I skimmed the posts & recall reading something about a hidden hitch. What is this in a nutshell and should we go with that instead of ordering the tow hitch. (We will be occasionally pulling a small jon boat) 3)Do we need to order accessory cross bars for infrequent use of car top carrier? Do we need them for a bike rack? 4) Are there any statistics on gas mileage in the AWD vs. the FWD? I haven't gotten a chance to drive both models back to back to compare in the rain as we are in a drought. (we live in the south with little problem with snow) One post said there is a big difference in road feel and safety... do most concur? (Willard - I know how you feel about it) Thanks so much for your help everyone.
    kgordon
  • Options
    mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Congratulations!!! I agree; always better to spend a little more to get precisely what you want than save a thousand or so and be reminded EVERY TIME you drive of your compromise, wishing that you hadn't.

HIDs: obviously you can live w/o them. My wife's 99 RX lights up the night quite well with the standard quartz halogens. But the HIDs are indeed brighter and produce a light closer to that of sunlight. They REALLY light up reflective signs. I would recommend them.

Can't help with the hitch. Didn't get one altho I may regret it later since there are several bike racks that can attach to them, if I recall previous posts correctly.

Ditto cross bars: less wind noise was more important than the minimal cargo carrying capacity they add.

Mileage difference: ave 2 mpg. between the two. This works out to less than $100/yr at 12k m/yr and assuming $1.50 gal.

Even Willard will admit that the AWD version on wet pavement is much more capable and stable feeling than the FWD. I am one of the individuals who posted regarding same, as we live in Arkansas where snow is not much of a factor but rain is; her AWD felt like it was on rails compared to my 5 speed SC300. The difference is not as great when comparing to my current GS430 but still there. Again, I would highly recommend it for that reason. (Subaru and Audi have AWD for precisely that reason, not because they are only driven in the snow belt.) I might add that even on the much vilified Goodyears, we had no problems back in the two godawful icestorms back at Christmas and New Years last yr. Again, highly recommended.

Good luck on dealing!!
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    1) HIDs are well worth the $$. Serious improvement at nighttime.

2) 4WD vs FWD? 1mpg Hiway on 01+s...

Depends where you live though.. In some parts of the country FWDs can be near impossible to resell..

Bill
  • Options
    I am now 61 and a few years ago I started noticing how reluctant I was to travel at posted speeds on the interstate at night. I have since read that as we age we lose our color defining capability in our eyesight. HID gives a wider spectrum light source so I can tell you from my own personal experience that it helps. BUt try to avoid having the force a "package on you that includes GPS/Nav.

AWD....

Assuming a 2001 or 02 you will have VSC and Trac. and that will definitely be an advantage.

I feel obligated to say something about AWD (surprise!) but you seem to have read most of what I have written. I would normally suggest that you express reluctance to go with AWD "because" and use that to negotiate a better AWD deal. But the fact of the matter is dealers in the south are unlikely to have a stock surplus of AWD. We had to go all the way to the Chicago area to get our AWD T&C.
  • Options
    rxguyrxguy Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 RX300 and I want to add a trailer hitch. My local dealer said they could install one for about $800...irontoad is selling them for $380.

How difficult is it to install the Lexus hitch? Is this something that an average person could do, or does it require one to take a lot of the back of the car apart?

I know I read information on this years ago on Edmunds, but I cannot find the information anymore...

Thanks!
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I would highly recommend Hidden Hitch #70777 from bageco.com or 1800hitches.com. It is a high quality unit and IMHO is better and looks better than the Lexus unit. If you go back through some old posts on this forum and the HL forum, you will find many others who share this opinion. It is a very easy installation, just 4 bolts. Took me 20 minutes. An added plus is the price. It only costs about $110 plus s&h. I would have selected it over the Lexus unit even if it cost the same.
  • Options
    When ya leave the lot YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN!
  • Options
    Lexus will give you a lot of garbage for going 25K between oil changes...

Those Jerks.

Bill
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    so it appears the manufacturer is at fault, not the 25k oil changes.

Actually, pretty clever ploy if Lexus pops for the rebuild or new engine install plus the long-term RX loaner.

And, best of all, gimpy gets to write derogatory email posts on the Town Hall RX board every few days even though Lexus is taking care of the problem 100%.

Ah, nothing like gratitude for ya.
  • Options
    baataboombaataboom Member Posts: 23
    Assuming there are new 2001 RX300 vehicles available near Atlanta, does anyone know if they would be near invoice pricing at this time?

Thanks
    Mark
  • Options
    Taking care of the PROBLEM 100% ?
    No gratitude EVER from me to LEXus
  • Options
    In the past, you have posted that...

a. Lexus gave you a free loaner car.

b. Lexus agreed to fix your RX engine even though you disregarded the usual and customary RX Owner's Manual specs and only changed the RX' oil once in 20k or 25k miles.

Some would call this...oh, can it dare be whispered without a slew of irate responses?..."Owner Negligence."

c. I know, I know, you run Amsoil in all your other vehicles for that number of miles or longer and you've had no problems.

d. You also posted that you're an Amsoil dealer.

e. Yes, there should not be glycol in your oil as determined by analysis. This is a bad thing. I GET IT.

f. It would be interesting to find out from the repair technicians what exact problem they discover (warped or cracked head? Bad gasket?) that allowed the glycol to be in the engine oil.

g. This would actually be a beneficial post to this board so other RX owners could be better informed, rather than your standard "Beware of Lexus Non-Service!" flames.

h. Since Lexus agreed to fix or replace your RX' engine several weeks ago, has it been done yet?

i. Once again, Gimp - What is Lexus NOT doing to solve your problem?

Pending the final outcome, I think they have given you the benefit of the doubt beyond what most manufacturers would do, given your lack of oil changes (again, I understand your point, really I do, that glycol should not be in the oil; see item E above). Having dealt with Chevy, Ford, and Dodge service departments for many years, I can just imagine taking your case particulars to them for review; their hysterical laughter probably could be heard two zip codes away.

Other than Lexus' delay on making a decision (when did you tell them of your oil change non-history?), I think they have handled the problem better than most neglectful owners have a right to expect.

Your turn, gimp.
  • Options
    gimpyrx:

Have you even bothered to read the AMSOIL warranty?

It looks to me as if you should be extremely thankfull if Lexus is even willing to give you the time of day, it's pretty clear that AMSOIL wouldn't.

So you have no choice but to go after Lexus' excellent customer service reputation/relationship and their "deep pockets".

http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.htm

• Options
    wuxwux Member Posts: 18
    I find a dealer still has a left-over Silver Sport . I'm not sure if I should go for it or get a regular
    one as I only saw later ones in person. Do they really have a different look or handling?
    What about the resale-value of a SS vs the regular one? Will they make it for 2002?
    Any comment will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    rkgordon:

About the HIDs - I haven't tested the halogens, but am extremely happy with the HIDs. Like someone above said, they light up the night like nothing else, and give me a much better view of the environment around me and far down the road. They have a wide arc to them as well, so they help a lot when cornering. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    Silversport is really a matter of taste. It's mostly cosmetic differences and has a sportier suspension. I haven't test driven so I don't know the difference in ride, but I can attest to liking the regular suspension just fine since I live in NYC and the streets are terrible here. I also prefer the regular interior to the SS - I think the wood trim gives the car an ambience that's far and away better than the sporty brushed aluminum look in the SS. But of course, that's a subjective view.

I also don't think the SS is worth the price premium - since they're being phased out and not available for 02, you should be asking for a huge discount for the leftover, if you deceide to get it.
  • Options
    Probably no better than a regualr RX.

Coach ESs and LSs and "Platinum" 2000 GS, ES and LS models aint worth any more than regular ones..

Bill
  • Options
    grumbgrumb Member Posts: 21
    I posted this as part of another message last week but never got any responses, so I figured I would try again. I have a question to help bail me out from my stupidity. I was returning skis and didn't want to go to the trouble of putting my roof rack on, so I put them in the vehicle. Naturally I ended up scratching the center console cover ( over the cup holder) with the tips. Any suggestions on how to repair and rebuff that console part?
  • Options
    gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    While resale might be the same, I have a black SS and love the looks, especialy the brushed aluminium interiors. Ofcourse, its all subjective. Go andhave a look, see & drive them back to back and buy what you like. You cant go wrong either ways.

Senthil
  • Options
    pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    Enjoyed your post, and still chuckling about the comeuppance for "You know who".. It should have happened sooner!
    Well said, and thanks.
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I would recommend you go for the SilverSport. I was very pleased with my regular suspension as was the poster above. However, a test drive in a SS convinced me to trade in my 2000 regular RX with only 15k miles for a SS. Not the best financial move when you consider depreciation. Other options were pretty much the same except for trac, vsc, and hid. Perforated leather is a nice touch. Brushed aluminum and single tone paint are personal preferences.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Mark, if there are any left I'm sure you can find one close to invoice. I'm seeing several hundred over on 2002's in southern California, Georgia's on the same lattitude, right? :^)
  • Options
    Amsoil is NOT the cause for sludge.
    Glycol was not put in Amsoil lubricants from the factory,it was put in by the junky 3.0 v6 from my gimpyrx. And it looks like others have had the same EXACT problem. Even with 3,000 mile oil changes or NOT.
    With out the glycol,Amsoil would have covered it.
    Time will tell!
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I had a friend that used Amsoil, religiously touting its virtues etc (maybe because he sold the stuff?) until one day his engine literally froze up, at which time facing major repair bills for a new engine he suddenly changed his tune. At the time of his engine failure the car was just out of warranty, so he was stuck. I'd stay away from that stuff - Mobil 1 is a much safer bet IMO.
  • Options
    The way I read their warranty they will buy you a few new cans of oil and that's it!

Granted they may not have been the problem but you should be man enough to admit that you operated/maintained the vehicle improperly according to the Lexus recommendations.

If you operated one of Intel's processors at above rated speed, something lot's of people are doing, would you place blame on Intel if they first questioned, researched, as to whether or not your modifications had something to do with the failure?

Of couse not, so why are you so upset at Lexus?
  • Options
    avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    This plastic used in the RX is definitely a problem. I have scratches below the ignition switch and on the side panels where the seat belt buckle hits. I can't imagine that there is a solution but you never know.
  • Options
    JBaumgart....Mobil 1 does not even come close to AMSOIL in any way.
    I was a user before I was a seller. He must have had a bigger problem than oil.

wwest...Go back and READ item #2 of the AMSOIL warranty.(with glasses)
  • Options
    rmnixonrmnixon Member Posts: 21
    Guys:

What type of Oil Filter do you use on RX 300s? The lexus dealer told me to only use OEM Filters because aftermarket filters would leak. Seems funny to me. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Any good quality filter will be fine, especially if, unlike gimpy, you change the oil & filter in reasonable intervals as the manual recommends.

The V-6 3.0L in your RX is one of Toyota's most employed engines, being found in many Toyota and Lexus models. I was able to purchase Toyota filters for this V-6 from a dealer at less than $4.00 each. Mobil One filters are also excellent, but they can cost $8-10 ea depending on where you buy them. Some users see a drop in oil pressure with the Mobil One filter bec it has finer filter media typically used with Mobil One syn lubricants.

After reading the thousands of posts in the maintenance side of Town Hall about Oil & Filters, most people that write in stay away from Fram and any generic filters that always are on sale at Pep Boys, KMart, etc.

Just stick with Toyota, Mobile One, Pure One, etc.

As for non-Lexus filters "leaking", that's pure dealer BS. Gotta pump up the parts sales...