Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• jimg11jimg11 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry, I pushed the wrong key and sent my previous message by mistake. Anyone have problem with fuel injector noise inside the cab? Car runs fine and engine sounds ok but the noise is loud inside the vehicle. Could be a sound proofing issue, but would like to know if anyone else has had this experience. A Lexus should be pretty quiet inside and this is a little troublesome. Any thoughts?
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    What dealership did you go to? I ordered 01 thru Richmond, W/NAV, hitch, mats, HID, AWD,..... for $39250 plus fees, last Jan. You should be able to get down in the range of $37500, if you push. The price here in VA is not as good as elsewhere, but as my pappy said, "a good deal is what you are happy with".
  • jmalik1jmalik1 Member Posts: 21
    To those who think that "Play(ing) with the Nav for 30 minutes" is NOT sufficient to atleast figure out whether its useful or not, I must say that either they haven't played with the nav for 30 minutes at a stretch or they have some intelligence issues. It reminds me of the TV Ad where the the computer says to the guy "this is the end of the internet you have seen everything there is to be seen", after 30 minutes RX300 nav will shout something similar.

To new RX300 shoppers, do your research, I was initially inclined not to get the nav. but then after reading some very exciting and useful comments about the nav here and at acuramdx.org I decided to check it out. I have KC (a disorder of the eyes) my nav makes my night time driving a walk in the park. It has a decent database of "points of interest" which I rely on quite a bit. Decide for yourself.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Nav moving map displays while vehicle is in motion should be!

Pardon me!

Your natural vision isn't good enough to make driving at night "like a walk in the park" and you use the Nav to take up the slack...

I'm not into bashing the handicapped but this is clearly not the purpose of the Nav system!

What bothers me about your statement is that almost everyone I demonstrate the system to ends up leaning forward toward the display in order to discern its "readings" as we travel. I suppose my own vision is such that I would need to do that too if I actually trusted it enought to rely on it.
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    I just wanted to offer my own experience about the AWD in my '99 RX. I've been getting a good dose of cold, rainy weather in San Antonio late last weekend and early this week. And I knew this was a good opportunity to get a "grip" on the RX's AWD system.

There's a Texaco near my home that has an incline to exit out of the gas station. Well, the rain was coming down and I was behind a couple of other vehicles: a FWD car and a RWD truck. Most of the time, one can hear and see vehicles slip and "burn rubber" to get out onto traffic because of the incline.

Drivers typically punch their accelerator to get into the 55 mph traffic. The FWD car did so and you could hear the wheels spin prior to it getting onto the road. Next, it was the trucks turn and this time I could hear and see the rear tires and end spin and slip its way onto the road. Then it was my turn. In the past, I would apply light acceleration to avoid a spin out from the incline (this was before I owned an AWD RX). This time I decided to try and see if I could cause any sort of slippage. I punched the gas very firmly and pointed the RX toward the road. Result? No spin, so slip, no nothing. The RX took off, pushed me back into the seat and away I went. No drama at all. I got up to speed in no time and had noticed a slight grin on my face. I went on to drive to several errands in most of the wet, rainy day and enjoyed the drive with the same assured results.

It's safe to say I don't intend to take my RX boulder-hopping but for rainy, inclement weather I'm very satisfied with the AWD system. I can only imagine that the newer RX's with VSC and TRAC coupled with the AWD should be extremely sure-footed.

Sorry for the long post - just my .02 cents.
    So just how do you know that a FWD RX300 wouldn't have handled the very same way in th esame circumstance?

Even your Lexus mechanic will advise you that it will take a few milliseconds to a few seconds of front wheelspin before any discernable level of engine torque is routed to the rear axle.

The silicon fluid in your viscous clutch must be "heated" in order to increase its viscosity and thus couple more torque to the rear. That heating occurs due to a disparate rotational rate between the two sets of clutch plates immersed in the silicon fluid, each turn coupled to the front driveline and the rear driveline.

Sorry if this comes off a little too arrogant, but it's early in the morning yet.
  • alsabahalsabah Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am looking to buy 2002 RX300 loaded but without Nav. Any recommendation on Price, Should it be Below/above Invoice ? and how much ? Prefere to buy in and around North East.
    thanks
    Al
    Pardon ME. IMHO you have to use the NAV to enjoy the benifits of the system. When driving at night or day, I find the system very useful. When I am driving into strange areas of town, and I hear the voice tell me my turn is in 1/2 mile on the left, well I can move over to the left lane instead of cutting someone off (like the butt heads on the road tend to do) when I find myself at my turn. The data base is great in cities and on the hyway, but if you get out in the "sticks", you may lose the road map, but you still have the turn list and the vector arrows. WWEST, you have seen the vector arrow and the turn list? A 30 minute demo will sell the NAV to TECHNOIDS, but to enjoy the beauty of the system, you just have to use it and discover all the features.
    AWD, well I have never had a problem with it, period. I have been in light mud and I plowed ruts getting out, but I GOT OUT. I would not have in the mini-van.
  • rex4johnrex4john Member Posts: 17
    Hey everybody. Been a "lurker" here for a month or so. Saturday will be my 1 month anniversary of my new 2001 RX AWD. It is a great SUV and looking forward to many years of motoring bliss. I owned an Xterra 4x4 SE before this, there is no comparison to the amenities, power/torque, and QUALITY! My X, while cool looking, was a rattle-box...and that's after 20K miles.

Anyway, did some surfing on the 'net and found this link (hope I don't get in trouble posting it) with a picture of the "2003 RX." Don't know much about the authenticity, take a look and see for yourself. Love to hear comments on it.

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com/lexus/lexus.html

Have a great T'giving. Keep on Rexing!

• jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    "Self-satisfied?"
    "Going to his warm and cosy bed at night"
    "Firmly and justifiably thrashed"
    "Stupendous welcome by the general public"
    "An instant multi-millionaire"
    "Stay on your side of the bed!"

Does your wife know that you write this stuff in public?

According to Section VIII (:>) of my "Wacko Humans That Post on Town Hall" Shop Manual, you only have 30 seconds left before your viscous fluid overheats and then - poof!
  • jmalik1jmalik1 Member Posts: 21
    RX300 nav is a piece of crap. Why?
    Because wwest says so.

RX300 AWD is a piece of crap too. Why?
    Because wwest says so.

Till this morning I was oblivious and thought I enjoyed my RX300 nav but wwest woke me up from my slumber and now I know how wrong I was. What was I thinking?

its unbelievable to notice wwest thinks others are either idiots or are liars when they say they like RX300 nav or AWD. unbelievable !!
  • sssstevessssteve Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for the fast response to my questions!

clee4: I'll probably just try to get used to switching off the electrochromic mirror when I start the car (or when it gets dark) I guess it really isn't that big of a deal but wondered if Lexus provided a way to reverse the auto operation. Thanks for the info.

Avery1: I'm going to buy the hitch sometime after the 1st and I'll let you know how it goes. I don't trailer too much at the moment and won't need to for a few months. Looking forward to seeing the hitch set up. It looks very nice on the web site. Thanks!
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    is a cobbled together phoney, and not a good one at that. Thanks for trying rex4john.
    I don't believe I have ever made any statement "judging" anyone other than Lexus or Denso, I sincerely wish I could say the reverse was true.

All I have ever done is provide information, some of you have made it quite clear that you would rather be kept in the dark on some of these subjects and that is your choice, it is a free country after all.

If you don't like what I have to say then would you please be so kind as to simply ignore it. Also, if you have any "foundation" for disputing anything I have said I would be the first to want to know, hear you out.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    C'mon gang, let's play nice!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Welcome aboard! We're glad you finally came out of the shadows and we look forward to seeing more of you here!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Tidester, here's our Turkey Day Riddle of the Year - and you only get one chance for the great prizes listed below:

What turkey is it that buys Lexus #1, an early LS400, and then goes to court in a losing battle with Lexus over the defrost system design?

What turkey is it that then buys Lexus #2, a RX300 AWD Nav, then constantly complains about the AWD (comparing it to a Jeep's AWD technology) and constantly complains about the NAV, even though the system itself states upon ignition turn-on, "Some map data may be incorrect"?

And, finally, what turkey is it that is currently shopping for yet another Lexus, #3, a LS430 with a non-available interior/exterior color combination - yet another reason to complain?

You have until midnight tonight, PST, to register your entry via email to this board.

Good luck.

* 3rd prize - Chrysler T&C AWD Shop Manual, only worn on the pages showing AWD schematics. Many pencil notes in margins, such as "Aha!" and "Of course!"

* 2nd prize - Odd resistors, capacitors, half roll of electrical tape, splice fittings. Manual entitled "101 Things to Do with Bell Wire."

* 1st prize - Bundle of a dozen letters from Lexus, all starting out with the same phrase, "Thank you for your letter complaining about ---------; be advised that while there is no project at this time to consider modifying that item, we will file your comments in a special place."
  • dennis_millerdennis_miller Member Posts: 2
    This is a known issue with the 2001+ RX300s. Nothing they can really they can do about it, I've inquired. I've talked to master Lexus mechanics and they claim you can hear the fuel-injector "clicking" on other models also.
  • dennis_millerdennis_miller Member Posts: 2
    I have a question, please send me an email to dennis_miller10024@yahoo.com

Thanks.
    jeff,

ROFL!! Very good!

I don't think it would be appropriate for me to name names and edmunds wouldn't allow me to accept the highly coveted and generous prizes anyway!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    Any pictures or sites regarding the '03 rx300? Will it be bigger, 3rd row seat?
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Thank you soooo much for your ability to take the issue from the humorous side - and getting the host involved without having your post or account deleted - simply splendid!

Tarik
    Just post question on this board. I will respond asap.
    Now you can send in the men in the white coats, but I get an early, running start!

Mold, mildew, musty smell.....TOXIC MOLD!

For months now I have responded to questions about moldy, musty, and mildewy smells emanating from the Lexus A/C vents, and at the same time responding to questions regarding fogging of the windshield and windows of various Lexus vehicles without even considering that the two might have some correlating factor.

My 92 LS400 came equipped with a pretty unique feature, an A/C evaporator that was coated with a porous nylon film into which was embedded an anti-microbe chemical, used to retard the growth of mold and mildew so said the factory rep of the time.

Just now, browsing on the internet, I came across a statement that this person didn't believe that complaints of mold and mildew smells from automotive A/C vents were as common back in the 70's as they are today. I think I know why.

When was it that automotive A/C design engineers first came up with the modern design that (attempts) to use the A/C system to dehumidify the incoming airflow, and thus prevent and remove windshield fogging, when the OAT drops below 50F?

My very first experience with this was with the 92 LS400, and clearly Lexus had already had some experience regarding the need to retard mold and mildew growth on the evaporator vanes and within the A/C system plenum.

When you use the A/C system to dehumidify the incoming airflow there will always be some level of moisture, likely a thin film, left on those surfaces when you park the car for the evening. With an even more complex and dense evaporator the more moisture left.

Back when we didn't use the A/C below 50F this moisture probably wouldn't hang around long enough for the mold and mildew to grow. The ambient temperatures were predominantly higher, and any moisture left overnight would be more likely to quickly evaporate into the ether.

But now the A/C evaporator continues to dehumidify the incoming airflow all the way down to the freezing level. The colder and colder it gets the higher and higher the viscosity of the condensate will be, greatly resistant to the evaporative process and becoming a perfect environment for the growth of mold and mildew spores.

There are now some supposed experts that are saying if you smell mold or mildew in your house, then get out immediately, until such time as you can ascertain if it is truly some form of toxic mold you smell.
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    Just wanted to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday - especially if you're traveling!

Have a lot of turkey and dressing and most of all - spend the day with loved ones.

kmh
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    I owned a RX300 99 FWD for over a year and starting off from a stop on a wet road had to done very gently to avoid spinning the tires so to to answer WW's question "How do we know the tires would not act the same on an FWD and provide traction on a wet road" I can answer that. Do what kmh did in a FWD RX300 on a wet road and the tires will spin and you will barely move. And probably get run over. I drove my wife's 2000 ES300 with Trac and the tires spin for a second on wet roads and then the car drives normally. This was a major factor in causing me to trade my MY99 FWD for a MY01 RX300 FWD which has Trac and VSC among other improvements. I live in Florida and have driven FWD vehicles for over 10 years and they are much better on wet roads than RWD. Did not believe the negatives of AWD outweighted the positives in Florida so I chose another FWD for the MY01. Also during many of my trips to Seattle I have seen many Hondas, Toyotas, etc. that were FWD vehicles so based on WW's comment that FWD vehicles are unsafe in the Pacific NW I must then assume that the Seattle area is a very dangerous area to drive.
  • mvinemvine Member Posts: 5
    rkgordon, thanks for the post. I'm glad to see Virginia is seeing builds for 2002 w/ AWD, w/Prem. Plus Value Pkg, HID, steer whl, htd seats, cargo mat, crossbar. I guess I need to fly out to Virginia to get one. I know you didn't want the AWD option, but did you at least get the color you wanted? By the way, most 2002 RX's w/o NAV are selling for 1,000 over invoice (add advertising fees into that).
    If you could have seen, counted, the number of FWD vehicles vs other types in our newly developed (overnight) state sponsred parking lot (SR520) during the last heavy snow....

What was really funny was the number of BMW's, MB,s and Porsches stuck on the very slight incline, entry, to microsoft headquarters.

But, the truth is Seattle is a lot like Memphis when it comes to snow and ice on the roadbeds, it doesn't happen often enough, nor last long enough (typically) to justify buying roadway clearing equipment. Most people just stay home, if they can get there to begin with, set by a warm fire, and enjoy the time off.
  • rex4johnrex4john Member Posts: 17
    Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry about the '03/'04 pic, didn't know if it was real or not (kinda glad it isn't).

Didn't know this until trying some research, but I guess that the next gen RX is going to be built in Canada! First Lexus made outside Japan.

Anyway, thanx again and have a great turkey day.
  • kuangtickuangtic Member Posts: 14
    I am a mechanical engineer and I always change oil every 3000 miles and filter every 6000 miles on my Buick LeSabre. After 10 years and 102K miles that 3.8L engine still running like new (with a water pump change and alternator change). I still own and love that car.

I bought the 2001 RX in April for my wife, after 1700 miles I change the oil, and after 5K mile, I let Lexus do the 5K service. With all the posting about the engine sludge and Lexus does not believe a person can change their own oil properly or they think all 3rd party service outlets only take your money and not changing your oil. I am a little bit worried since there is no any real data for different model years what is the % of 3.0V6 engine got this kind of problem. With the possible engine coolant leak and causing sludge, I do put a label on the coolant tank and mark the coolant level and monitor that. I do see the coolant is getting lower by 10mm and near empty mark between 5000 miles and 8000 miles.

Now the car is at 8K miles (mostly freeway miles) and at my normal 3000 mile change interval. I definitely not take it to Lexus dealer at Portland (cost $66, for that I got a single piece of See's candy after I pay the fill). I am wondering whether I should change the oil myself or take it to a Toyota dealer (so I got a receipt)? Even I know I would do better job than the Toyota dealer, at least I looked and checked the drained oil.

To: Wwest, I know you must change oil yourself, if you are unlucky (God forbids) and get an engine with coolant leak and later engine sludge, Lexus could say you did not do proper maintenance (I know and you know that you did!!), then you probably will be pretty mad, won't you?

PS. I do value your opinion a lot. Thanks.
    Mobil 1 oil & filter at least every 4 to 5000 miles, buy all my filters at Lexus dealer, not inexpensive, but I get to keep THEIR reciept.

Out of about 10 Lexus vehicles over that same number of years I have had no reason to rely on Lexus warranty service, nor any Lexus dealer service at all for that matter.

If that day should come I don't really expect any argument from Lexus corporate, dealer doesn't get to say one way or another anyway.

Oh, if gimpyrx had been changing his oil as often as Lexus recommends then it is likely someone would have noticed the oil and water mixture much earlier.
  • rkgordonrkgordon Member Posts: 13
    Yes, we were able to get the color we wanted. We would have gotten silver if they made it with a light interior, but we did not want a black interior (only choice) We chose white. We tried to push for less than 38K, but couldn't. Lexus of Richmond matched what we could get in Baltimore and Va. Beach. The consumer reports wholesale prices were very helpful. For $12.00 they faxed us a long printout of the car options and compared wholesale to MSRP, listed the dealer holdback, etc. We paid about 5% above invoice. (Different from wholesale) CR says that 4-8% above invoice is reasonable profit. I like what Pappy says!
    We pick up the car end of the week - can't wait!
  • gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
    I see you are STILL a yota rep (wanta be)
    Lexus & Toyota (customer NO service) just plain SUX, and they know they have a problem.
    TIME WILL TELL!!!
    Glycol victims......More of them than you know.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Assuming the glycol leak caused the sludge.

Wouldnt a 5k drain interval cause less damage than a 25K drain interval?

Or am I nuts?

Bill
    Now we are worried about "how much damage"....Who cares? AGAIN...It is a TOYOTA warranty problem.
    More than YOU know.
    TIME WILL TELL!
    Thank you LEXUS customer NO service!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Assuming the glycol leak caused the sludge.

Wouldnt a 5k drain interval cause less damage than a 25K drain interval?

Or am I nuts?

Seriously now.
    When I change oil in any vehicle, I take note of the oil being drained. Water (glycol) would produce a milky brown color in the oil. Even if you didn't change oil for 25,000 miles, do you ever check the oil level? You would see the same milky brown color of oil on the DIPSTICK. Wouldn't one notice a loss of coolant in the service tank anyway, wonder where it might go? Oh well, you should kiss Lexus for even putting up with the non-sense of not changing the oil on a regular basis.
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    To Kuangtic,

I rencently has the rx300 at the dealer for 5000 miles service. Drive home and check the engine oil level. It was over the H (high) mark. I then has to drain out about 1 qt. of oil.
    This is to tell me that I better change oil by myself than bring it to the dealer. Or if you prefer the dealer to change oil, ALWAYS check the oil stick, make sure it is correctly fill.
    Every 5000 miles with Mobil1 Synthetic oil, will make the car last long.
    www.irontoad.com sale all the OEM oil filter, spk plug, air filter etc... at a good price. See quote below:

HERE ARE THE PRICE QUOTES YOU HAVE REQUESTED FOR YOUR 2001 RX300...
    OIL FILTER------$5.99 EACH
    OIL DRAIN PLUG GASKET-----$0.72 EACH
    AIR FILTER-----$11.55 EACH
    IRIDIUM SPARK PLUG----$10.19 EACH
    6-DISC CD MAGAZINE----$24.00 EACH
    A/C FILTER------$21.15 EACH
    LEXUS ALL WEATHER RUBBER FLOOR MATS...
    FRONT SET----$36.00
    REAR SET----$28.00
    SHIPPING ESTIMATE-----$18.00
    **WILL NEED VIN NUMBER TO PROCESS THE ORDER WHEN YOU ORDER PARTS.
    THANKS
    RYAN
    **THERE IS NO DISCOUNT FOR QUANTITIES ORDERED.
    THANKS
    RYAN
    My oil change interval is none of there bizz!

And ...You know who you can kiss! BTW...go learn something at http://www.Amsoil.com
    OK, we know that everyone that disagrees with you "just doesn't get it."

You know, that takes me back to the first big feminist movement days of the 1960s when all guys "just don't get it."

Well, I wanted it so I pretended to get it but that's a different story for a different forum.

Months ago you posted that Lexus agreed to fix your RX problem one way or another.

So what's the update? I can't believe it has taken your dealer months to fix a single engine that you scr...ah...whoops...that is a showplace of factory defects.

And if you still have the dealer's loan vehicle, that puppy must be approaching 20k miles...time for an Amsoil oil change yet?

So what did the dealer find when they fixed your RX, Gimp? Warped head, faulty head gasket, glycol laced with acid, - what?

Inquiring minds want to know. Even if we don't get it.
  • trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    Hey guys there's something really simple about my 01 RX that I'm missing. The owners manual states that to change the AC filter you open the glove compartment door, remove filter and insert new one. Problem is that when I open the glove compartment door the only thing there is my CD changer. Can someone help me on this one. I could call the dealer but it's a long distance call and their lousy service department puts me on hold for 15 minutes before anyone talks to me. Thanks.
    Open the Glove box, now look just below the CD drive and at the very top/back of the glove "box" itsself. The top/back of the glove box is a "clip on" glove box extension which is easily removed. Now you should be able to see and remove the filter cover itsself.

New filters from Lexus are $50. You can make a new one, two actually, from a new furnace filter costing about $15.
    http://www.airsept.com/eed.html

For any of you suffering with mold or mildew smells from your A/C vents, or foggy windshields and windows, this product may be the answer.

• nchosnchos Member Posts: 1
    can anyone who purchased RX300 in NC, share the pricing information like how much over Invoice with Nav System. Thanks.
  • trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    Thanks Willard. Very helpful. Now the rest of you guys cut Willard some slack.
    Hey Trmga - if you have any filter material remaining after cutting that home furnace filter into parts to fit your $36-40k RX, let me know.

I'm tired of using toilet paper rolls as oil filters.

As for your request to "cut Willard some slack" - only after he publishes his schematics for turning coconut shells, papayas, and seaweed into a fuel cell for my RX.

Where is the Professor from Gilligan's Island when we need him?
    Just say NO! To a Lexus period.
    customer service su...!
    I've asked you repeatedly what happened to your RX after Lexus said they would cover the repairs two months ago.

Why no answer? You seem to have the time to post on several Town Hall boards about your hatred for Lexus and how you cleverly plaster signs all over your RX telling others not to buy one bec it's such a POS.

Did Lexus finally come to their senses and tell you to get an attorney or just get lost?

I would suggest to others reading this board that unless Mr. Gimp can answer this simple question (I'll repeat it below in caps just to help out) we just ignore his posts.

GIMP - D-I-D L-E-X-U-S R-E-P-A-I-R Y-O-U-R R-X O-R N-O-T?
    trmga:

As far as I'm concerned I'm getting lots of SLACK from these posters. I have yet to see a true rebuttal of my positions, just a lot of flack based on concerns that what I'm saying might just be true and that cuts to the bone for the blindly faithfull.
    Lexus (toyota) sucks as a company & at customer service.
    They are ALL talk! NO action!They have not fixed my RX. It was repaired at another shop. Valve covers were removed,cleaned all of the sludge out on the top side. Pan & pick up tube was removed,cleaned & bottom end was cleaned and put back together. Runs sweet,NO smoke! Oil is clean after 2,000 miles.(and lexus service mgr said I should replace the engine) No court date yet.Oil sample will be done at 3,000 miles to show glycol is still in the oil. Nov 2002 they get the leased junk back (with the decals & glycol)