Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX Navigation System Questions

Comments

• katewakatewa Posts: 23
    Hi - I'm wondering if you did the nav system upgrade to your '06? I want to buy it but I want to know if there are any bugs before I do. I live in a very rural area and really depend on my GPS (since I have to drive about 2 hours to do major shopping) and I don't want to have to worry about it not working when I need it.

Thanks.
  • brs829brs829 Posts: 1
    Hi all, does anyone know how to turn off the voice read back which reads the title of each song on your ipod or radio station in your program list as you scroll through it without turning off the voice commands for the navigation system? When listening to my iPod or radio, every song or station I scroll through without selecting gets read back to me which turns down the audio while it reads me the song or station name. Its extremely annoying.
  • Hi I have the same use with my 03 MDX. Did you find out any answers in regards to this matter.
  • blondfarfblondfarf Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    The 2009 MDX GPS is useless. We actually just purchased a Garmin and mounted it on the GPS screen. The MDX has us going down one way streets the wrong way, it could not find Montreal Quebec in Canada, and ACURA / Honda keeps telling us to contact the supplier who will do nothing about the unit.
    DO not touch the 2009 MDX GPS. The dealers tell you there is NOTHING they can do, and HONDA keeps saying "we didn't make it"
    NOT BAD FOR AN EXTRA $5,300 + TAX :cry:
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    I've only had my 2010 a couple of weeks but so far it seems spot on. I had gotten so used to Garmin portables that I was a little reluctant to to switch to the in-dash GPS, but so far it seems very accurate.

One thing that I do like about Garmin is being able to buy lifetime map updates for around $100 (which I did) as long as you own the unit. I don't like the prospect of forking over $150-$200 every time I want to update the maps. But the bigger built-in screen along with the other features you get with the Tech Package made it worth the extra money to me.

We'll see how happy I am in a year from now...
  • jack3636jack3636 Posts: 2
    Everyone I speak to who has an MDX (and they all love the cars) has horrible problems with the nav systems. For example, insert a store name (say "Target" or "Sears") and up pops a location from 2000 miles away!!! It is not that important where the Target in Seattle Washington is located whne you reside in Florida. I have the list of all Starbucks locations in Riverside, California, but since we live in Atlanta, that is pretty useless. Any word on when Acura is going to address this defect?
  • mohollandmoholland Posts: 6
    I have an '07 MDX and we've been pretty happy with the SUV. It is by no means perfect but it doesn't seem to have any glaring flaws. The NAV in my opinion is pretty good. I've used better but for the most part it is a good NAV system. If you start your search by using the categories, you can sort by distance... for instance if you want to find the nearest Starbucks, go to categories, restaurants and then keyword. Type in 'Starbu' and then on the next screen, select by distance. Granted, you should have to work around the system in this manner but it does work.
  • cloviskidcloviskid Posts: 23
    After reading a couple dozen comments on this blog, I have come to the conclusion that no one reads the navigation manual. Thus, all the problems and complaints.

My 2010 MDX is on order but I have already downloaded the manuals and know how to work most every feature on the vehicle.

It is so simple to find the nearest STARBUCKS by name, without going through the categories, etc. Just request STARBUCKS. Then, according to the simple instructions in the navigation manual,.....

"If you move the Interface Dial down while the list is displayed, the display will switch to SORT BY DISTANCE or SORT BY NAME.

During my test drive, I had no problem using voice commands for the air conditioner, stereo, and the navigation system. You have to know the proper commands to give and it worked for me the first time I tried it.

All these complaints from those who, apparently, haven't bothered to read the operating manual. The instructions are there, and I found the 2010 MDX navigation system to be one of the best. You can even enter map coordinates instead of an address! You have a choice to be routed only on VERIFIED roads, or you can select the system to also use UN-verified roads.

This system is far superior to the system in my Infiniti.
  • katewakatewa Posts: 23
    Well, good for you!

You know, there are some of us who learn better by being shown or told how to do something - especially when it comes to tech gadgets.
  • I finally got around to reading the posts in this forum. I wanted to chime in that we also lost the NAV in our 2004 MDX (since traded in). The NAV/screen would work on occasion, but we always had to input the code in order to get it to work. Sometimes, the GPS would find the satellites. Other times, it didn't but at least the A/C controls and backup camera worked!

We didn't care that much about the GPS since the unit was far inferior to a Garmin Nuvi. But the inability to control A/C was ridiculous.

On top of that, we had an issue with our TPMS sensors and the TPMS light would come on within a few miles of driving. This happened even after we replaced our tires. Both the tire dealer and an Acura dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong.

The car had just over $100K miles and was running quite well, but we had no confidence in the electronics and figure we may as well cut our losses. The cost of a major electronic repair could have approached 25% or more of the car's value.
  • With the Nav system, Collision Mitigation Braking System, Blind Spot Info System, Hard Drive Stereo System, etc. etc., there is a lot that can go wrong. That is why I purchased the genuine Acura 7-year extended warranty when I purchased my 2010 MDX. Any one of those items, after the regular 4-year warranty expires, could cost as much or more than the extended warranty to fix. Now I know I won't have any big expense for at least the first seven years.

I find the Nav system in the 2010 MDX to be superior to any other Nav system I have experienced. It is a hard drive system, lightning fast routing, and has more features than any I have seen. I can enter address, map coordinates, phone number, intersection, actual map spot, or use the address book to get directions. OR, use voice command and say FIND NEAREST GROCERY STORE (or about 75 other categories) and the list pops up within about two seconds. The map coordinate feature is great for areas not yet on the map. Just find the location on google world, get the map coordinates, and enter the numbers on the MDX Nav screen. Simple. And you have the choice of being routed on ONLY verified roads OR also on unverified roads. Either way, an arrow continually points to the direction of your final location.

I just sold my 2003 Infiniti I-35 which also had a Navigation system. I used the system on a regular basis for all seven plus years I had that car and never had a problem with it.
  • I have an 07 MDX and want to upgrade the GPS. Do I have to go to a site for vehicles in Canada or is it the same site as for the US as well?

I have been directed o many incorrect addresses so I hope the newer version is improved!
  • The 2011 map should be available by the end of this month.

I would call an Acura dealer in Canada to find out how to get the latest map software.
  • gsjr57gsjr57 Posts: 1
    I try voice activation to make a call and it turns on my defrosters,again I say PHONEBOOK and it turn on the radio ????? What gives ????
    Cannot program Phone numbers into the phone book since my Motorola Razor will not transfer my list. Salesman tells me they have to be entered manually, which I tried without success. HELP, my wife's car and she s driving me nuts.
  • You have to be on the PHONE MENU page on the navigation screen. Press the PHONE button on the steering wheel, then press the VOICE button and give the command. I use mine often. But if I forget to press the PHONE button first, I have the same problems you are experiencing.
  • I recently purchased the latest update disk for my MDX. I ordered it online through Navteq. Since the update, the voice commands for the climate control will only accept fahrenheit commands and not celsius (as it previously did). The display on the dash for the climate control shows Celsius. When looking at the "help" section for voice commands it shows the commands listed in Fahrenheit. Could there be a different disk for Canadian MDX's versus those in the US? Anyone else come across this problem?
  • cloviskidcloviskid Posts: 23
    edited December 2010
    Since I live in the US I didn't have that problem. However, any addresses in my address book that I had entered using a map location instead of an actual address had to be re-entered. Any intersection I had entered still works, but the first letter of both street names is missing. I have notified Navteq and Acura of the problems I found. Acura told me that hadn't received their test disc yet to test it.

WHY do they sell these discs before Acura tests them? PLEASE let Acura know of all the problems you come across so they can correct the disc and have one that works properly next year.
  • Did you receive 1 or 2 disks with your order? Do you see Canadian roads on your Nav. screen?

Thanks - James
  • One disc, and it includes US plus Canada. My understanding is that now there is only one disc.
  • Thanks. I had MDX to the dealership on Wednesday. They feel that there should be one disk for Canadian market MDX and one for USA market MDX. They think I was shipped the wrong one from Navteq. I contacted Navteq. by email yesterday. We will see what they come back with.

My thought is that the Acura engineers "forgot" about the differences between the vehicles in the US and Canadian markets and there isn't a different disk for Canadian customers. I went to the order site via both US Acura site and Canadian Acura site. Both showed the same version disk ( 2011 Green DVD Map Update v8.000.0). I am not holding out for much hope on this.

I'll keep everyone informed.
    - James