Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 3 Transmission Problems

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    The best way of dealing with a premature clutch failure (something I've been noticing more and more now that most cars with manual transmissions use hydraulic clutches), is to hire an independent "expert" after you get the bad news from your dealership (i.e. the cost of the new clutch on your nickel) and have him or her opine on why the clutch failed so soon. I've only heard from two folks that took this route, and both of them got their respective dealerships/manufacturers to pop for a new clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing (or whatever they call them these days). Everyone else had to pay for it themselves (although a few opted to have their car towed back from the dealer so they could do it themselves).

Let us know how you make out.
  • kiepkiep Posts: 1
    anyone have any ideas why i cannot shift gears. I went out to dinner and drove there just fine. When Leaving, it will not come out of park. Is there some kind of lock i do not know about on this car???? I have a Mazda 3 2007.
  • You are unlucky but still lucky: under warranty. I have a 2008 Mazda 3 hatchback but with 65K mi on it (used to drive 30mi to work - one way). I noticed the different on 2nd gear about 2 months ago. Told my boyfriend about it, but when he drove it was okay. Last Sat 11/13, the AT light was on and off a few time, but it was on all day on Sun, and he noticed the different on 2nd gear. At least you can took your car to dealer because it's under warranty. I brought it to a good transmission shop, recommended by a lot of people. "Nobody is home on 2nd gear." the guy said "Not working anymore" . On the way to the shop, the car skipped the 2nd gear so often, jumped from the 1st to the 3rd one. Two technicians even said they definitely don't expect transmission problem with that mileage
    I'll have to pay out of my pocket now: $3,300 :cry:
  • I had the same thing happen in Oct @ 33k on my 2010 Mazda3. I called BBB. They said call Mazda Mediation. Customer Service called back instead, saying they couldn't do anything because it's "wear & tear" and a recall hasn't been issued.

There are too many people with this problem for it NOT to be recalled! But the service rep said Highway Admin issues recalls not them. If enough people report it to Highway safety, hopefully this will get attention! I just filed a report this morning. I encourage you to do the same! They have an 888 number and a website:

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

or call Monday-Friday (8 am to 8 pm) (888) 327-4236 TTY: (800) 424-9153
  • I had the same thing happen in Oct 33k on my 2010 Mazda3. I called BBB. They said call Mazda Mediation. Customer Service called back instead, saying they couldn't do anything because it's "wear & tear" and a recall hasn't been issued.

There are too many people with this problem for it NOT to be recalled! But the service rep said Highway Admin issues recalls not them. If enough people report it to Highway safety, hopefully this will get attention! I just filed a report this morning. I encourage you to do the same! They have an 888 number and a website:

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

or call Monday-Friday (8 am to 8 pm) (888) 327-4236 TTY: (800) 424-9153
  • ejhayes1ejhayes1 Posts: 11
    edited December 2010
    courtneyray, How much did you pay to replace the clutch? I'm going to be replacing mine next week. I probably won't go to Mazda, even though the car is still under warranty. Oh, I submitted a complaint on that website, thanks.
  • Check the color of the transmission fluid. Pull out the dipstick from the transmission filler neck. If the transmission fluid is brown, it is likely burnt. If it smells burnt, then obviously it is. Have the fluid changed immediately to prevent serious damage.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Uhhh, you do know that you responded to a post that is almost four years old; don't you?
  • Same problem here and dealing with it right now. 2010 Mazda 3 2.5 with 33K miles on it. Driving on the highway, tried speeding up and noticed my engined just revved up and then back down and locked into gear again. I thought, that's really weird. About 15 miles later, tried shifting into gear, and boom! nothing, I could easily push my clutch in and put the shifter into position but it would not go into gear....any of them. Dealership said it would cost $800+ to "diagnose" the problem & I would pay for parts if it's a clutch issue. I was upset, cause I thought this car would last forever with very little problems except normal maintenance. So I called Mazda Corp. they said they don't pay for a diagnoses but will pay if it's a problem covered by warranty. Here's my problems, Why isn't anyone questioning the fact that someone at Mazda Corp. picked a supplier that is making a cheap part that is failing and should be recalled and replaced with a better quality part? If Mazda Corp does not cover this problem I will be contacting the News and my good friend is a news anchor for Channel 2 in Houston! I mean really, I'm having clutch or transmission issues in the first year with only 33K miles on it. I would have rather bought a used BMW or Lexus. I'm terribly disappointed right now!!!!
  • Whose had problems with their 2010 clutch or transmission like me!!! I have a 2010 Mazda 3 2.5 with 33K miles on it. Driving on the highway, tried speeding up and noticed my engined just revved up and then back down and locked into gear again. I thought, that's really weird. About 15 miles later, tried shifting into gear, and boom! nothing, I could easily push my clutch in and put the shifter into position but it would not go into gear....any of them. Dealership said it would cost $800+ to "diagnose" the problem & I would pay for parts if it's a clutch issue. I was upset, cause I thought this car would last forever with very little problems except normal maintenance. So I called Mazda Corp. they said they don't pay for a diagnoses but will pay if it's a problem covered by warranty. Here's my problems, Why isn't anyone questioning the fact that someone at Mazda Corp. picked a supplier that is making a cheap part that is failing and should be recalled and replaced with a better quality part? If Mazda Corp does not cover this problem I will be contacting the News and my good friend is a news anchor for Channel 2 in Houston! I mean really, I'm having clutch or transmission issues in the first year with only 33K miles on it. I would have rather bought a used BMW or Lexus. I'm terribly disappointed right now!!!!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    I have an alternative for anyone who needs to replace the clutch in their 2004-2009 Mazda and doesn't to pay the dealer's insane prices! I discovered that the OEM clutch manufacturer for the 1st generation Mazda3 is a company called Exedy. Exedy makes a "Mazda3 Clutch Kit" which includes everything needed for a standard clutch replacement-

Clutch Disk
    Pressure Plate
    Throw-out Bearing
    Alignment Tool
    Pilot Bushing
    Installation Guide

Some vendors show the price as low as $163, but the only one I can comment on from personal experience is 1A-Auto. 1A sells it for $193.85 plus free shipping. I ordered it on a Tuesday morning and it arrived on Thursday before noon...and that wasn't expedited shipping, just the free shipping they include. So they're on the ball when it comes to getting orders out the door!

My mechanic said the kit from Exedy and the OEM clutch he removed from my car were literally identical! He used the analogy of Advil vs. Store-brand Ibuprofen- same medicine, same quality, but one has a brand name and costs twice as much! =)

The best way to find the best pricing is by using Google, click on the Shopping link and search for "Mazda3 Exedy Clutch Kit". FYI- Exedy warranites the product for 12 monhts or 20,000 miles. I've put over 15k miles on mine and it still feels like brand new...I hope it remains that way for a long time! =)
  • Ulternatly, If you find you have a Transmission Fluid cap.... then you don't have a standard and shouldn't have the ability to burn your clutch :D
  • rdmkrdmk Posts: 2
    My Mazda 3 2006 W/ 70K miles apparently needs a new trasmission. I started out with a shaking under the hood. I replaced all of the tires W/ balancing and alignment. Still had the shaking found a broken engine mount and replaced that. The shaking still occurred so I took the car to a Mazda dealer. they replaced the trasmission fluid and sent me home. still had the probelm took it back to them and now they are telling me that it could be an tourq convertor ($2,200 or replace) or it may need the transmission replaced ($4,500). They are not willing to help out because I do my own normal service work. not sure I want to try to replace the trans on my own. Any suggestions? now that I think about it does anyone have experience replacing the trans? are there any specal tools needed?
  • rdmkrdmk Posts: 2
    My Mazda 3 2006 W/ 70K miles apparently needs a new trasmission. I started out with a shaking under the hood. I replaced all of the tires W/ balancing and alignment. Still had the shaking found a broken engine mount and replaced that. The shaking still occurred so I took the car to a Mazda dealer. they replaced the trasmission fluid and sent me home. still had the probelm took it back to them and now they are telling me that it could be an tourq convertor ($2,200 or replace) or it may need the transmission replaced ($4,500). They are not willing to help out because I do my own normal service work. not sure I want to try to replace the trans on my own. Any suggestions? now that I think about it does anyone have experience replacing the trans? are there any specal tools needed?
  • I replaced the clutch on my 2010 Mazda 3s. I had to remove the transmission. It is not necessarily hard but a lot of the car needs to be disassembled first to free the tranny. its probably a two day job if you know what to take off. In my situation Mazda finally stepped in and offered to buy the car back as is.
  • 2006 Mazda 2 now needs 2nd clutch! I've driven a clutch for over 35 years and this has never happened! Is there any way this could be under warranty? I only have 39000 miles.
  • The warranty from Mazda on clutches is 1 year or 12,000miles. DO NOT make the same mistake I did. The dealership will charge anywhere from $1400-$1900 to fix. Independent garage will be more around $700-$900
  • I paid $850 at an independent Japanese auto shop for a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel @ 33k miles.

I have since traded the car in for a non-mazda.
  • sasnitasasnita Posts: 1
    I have mazda 3 2004 automatic that changes the transmission filter to it and when it change of P to reverse gives a blow with a stone and leaves message transmission AT. They put the computer to verify code to him and it said solenoid A to me it changes to him both and it follows the problem. That it could be the problem
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Speaking of transmission problem! To diagnose this problem someone will have to diagnose the message transmitted.