Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 3 Transmission Problems

Comments

• rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "it never showed any lights or anyhting on the instrument panel"

I think the lights that stallionre was referring to only apply if your car was equipped with an automatic transmission, which is why he asked if a "D" was lit up on the panel.

Since you have a manual transmission, no trans-related lights in your instruments.
  • stallionrestallionre Posts: 205
    OK, I hope that the dealer will fix it.
    I never see you on the other forum. Is your name hero1987 over there?
  • hero1987hero1987 Posts: 4
    i understood he was talking about an auto trans...

no its been awhile since ive been on it .. umm i believe my name is "menus1987" on it
  • stallionrestallionre Posts: 205
    Oh I see. These forums sure can take hours off of your life. Reading, posting, reading, posting all day and night. HMMM so fun stuff. ;)
  • hero1987hero1987 Posts: 4
    yeah .. i use to have the time but as of late its been hectic ..

but when in times of questions the forums are the best source of info.
  • I have an 04 Mazda 3 and for the last 2 1/2 months it has been acting up. When I start the car and go to put it in reverse, or any gear for that matter, it will not budge. I had to call the dealer when it first happened to me and he told me where the gear shift release was. So, I have needless to say had to do that every single day. I don't know what is causeing the problem but the dealer wanted to know if the brake lights were coming on when I pressed the brake to change gears. And yes they are. I really REALLY need help so I don't get taken when I take it to the dealer. Any clues??
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    What you're talking about is a safety feature so you can't accidently knock the car into gear when you're not ready for it to be in gear. It's not something that needs to be fixed, it's just the way the vehicle operates.

To get out of Park after you start the car, your foot MUST be on the brake, and while your foot is on the brake you press the gearshift release which allows you to put the car in gear.

To give you a scenario of why this is a safety feature, imagine you're parked in a parking lot at a Walmart or someplace like that, and the car did NOT have this safety feature. You've started the engine, but decide to adjust some packages you put in the backseat or deal with a child in the back seat,and when you turn and reach into the back, you accidently nudge the shifter and pop it into gear. Engine running, no foot on the brake... the car is going to move, and probably hit something or someone.

But since you have to have your foot on the brake pedal AND press a release to get out of Park, the assumption is that you are ready to drive and are putting the car into gear on purpose.

There's nothing to take it to the dealer for. If you take it to the dealer, he's just going to (or should) explain the operation to clear up the question you have. That's why he asked you if the brake lights were coming on to see if there might be a problem with the part of the safety feature that involves the brake pedal. When you step on the brake pedal, it closes a swich that lights the brake lights and allows the gear shift release to operate. Both things need to happen to put the car in gear.

There's nothing to diagnose or fix. A quick check of your owner's manual should verify this. :)

If you have a chance, join us for our weekly Mazda Club chat tonight and we can talk about it live!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

I don't think the host understood your post.

As I understand your problem, you ARE stepping on the brake pedal (and this is verified by the brake lights coming on) and yet the transmission STILL doesn't come out of 'Park'?

Also, is the 'gear shift release' located under a little cover next to the shifter?

If you ARE pressing the brake pedal, and you must STILL use the gear shift release, then YES, you need to take the car in. It may be a simple adjustment for the shifter.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
  • mjgeemjgee Posts: 2
    We are buying a 2007 Mazda3 4-door sedan (2.3L) this week. We've test driven several models, but have been hesitant to consider the manual transmission, although we love it! Can any one share their experiences with the Mazda3's manual shift (in the 2.3L) in winter driving/wet roads, ice & snow/ bumper to bumper traffic, etc. Satisfied? Unhappy? Neutral? I know the gas mileage is supposedly better with the manual. Is this true? Your feedback will be very helpful!
  • farnsworthfarnsworth Posts: 1
    So I'm not exactly a car expert, but I did a lot of research and just bought a Speed3.

I asked the folks at the dealership when should I be shifting gears? They told me 5500 RPMs, which leaves me around 4000 RPMs in whatever gear I'm driving around in.

That seems a little high to me, but I'm not sure if I just need to get use to it or if I'm on the road to doing serious damage to my new car.

What RPM range do you shift around, and what RPM range do you have your car at when you are going a constant speed?

-Thanks
  • smogdungsmogdung Posts: 349
    Just got a new Road & Track magazine....MS3 wins over 4 other cars....they say that although red line is 6750, & rev limiter at 7000, for best results (acceleration) shift at 6000.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Well, shifting past 5,500 is useless, for the turbo is no longer producing boost.

If you are driving around town from point A to point B, shifting around 3,000 to 3,500 will do just fine. If you want to drive for performance, shift at NO HIGHER then 5,500.

Don't worrie, you won't harm the engine doing either...
    "...and what RPM range do you have your car at when you are going a constant speed?"

Ummm, if you are DONE accelerating, put the car in the highest gear allowable for that speed. Your owner's manual should specify the mph ranges for each gear. Typically, I'd try to maintain at least 1200 rpm;

There's NO reason to simply be driving around at 4000 rpm. :surprise:
  • zzoomp09zzoomp09 Posts: 30
    I haven't driven the automatic enough to compare with the manual's fuel economy and I have a manual 2.3 hatch, but the manual is performing better than I expected. If there's snow, at first, if you're not used to or haven't driven a manual in a while, you'll have a hard time getting out of a few inches of snow. But as the winter progressed, I was able to get a handle of the car and got used to how it drives in the snow, and get out of snow piles.

It definitely has the zoom-zoom performance in bumper to bumper traffic. I've accelerated this car at more than 5500RPM's in the 1st and 2nd gears and it just zips through almost everything!
  • mjgeemjgee Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. We ended up getting an automatic S-GT sedan (2.3 L). We've only had it for 2 days, but really love it. It has the variable auto/manual transmission and that has been fun to experiment with so far. Sort of the best of both worlds. I can really make better use of the road with the manual aspect - it has amazing getup and go! :shades:
  • hi, i had my mazda2 since 8/04.... manual tranmision. my system bought the same car 4 months later, automatic trans... i got the oportunity to drive the two ( manual and automatic ) I rather to driver the Manual is much much fun, and in the road you can feel the performance of the car better.

the only thing that i don't like about the Manual trans is tha t in the highway the combination of the manual in 5 speed is not so good, at around 70mph to 80.. manual is at 3200 to 3500 rpm... AUTOMATIC TRANS is only 2800 to 3200rpm... so in highway Automatic is less money that Manual...

Now in the city... hooo is very different. My car ( MANUAL TRANS ) does between 380miles to 420 per tank. around 12 to 13.5 galons of gas.

In city Automatic trans does 320 - 380miles per tank

any buying a mazda is a great :) experience and is very driving and enjoying the car. i haven;t got any problems with the car.. mazda 3 2004 with 45k miles. so far i love the car... i'm thinking in rpl the car for another mazda, probably the RX8 or same mazda 3 but the sport...

conclusion for me.... both are great but i love manual...
    great in montains, down hill, turns... gettining in the highway specially when ever are turns...
  • kidoctorkidoctor Posts: 5
    Bought a brand new Speed 3 last Wednesday at Hayward Mazda (had 38 mi on it and had the No. 4 Engine Mount Bolt (Mazda recall) replaced before accepting it). I drove it back to SF (35 mi) without any problems and parked it for 20 min(good neighbourhood). Afterwards, got back into the car and drove it 1/2 mi and the clutch started sticking (I would press the clutch pedal the entire length of travel, shift, let up on the pedal, which would spring back about an inch only, but not the full distance - had to lift the pedal with the back of my foot). This happened twice (over about ~2 blocks) then the car stalled (some smoke was coming out of the hood and I smelled something- probably the clutch-burning). The engine would start but I could not engage the transmission with the engine on (could do it with it turned off). I had it towed back to the dealership and they said it was the PCV valve but I have doubts (since an earlier tech said that they were replacing the clutch master/slave cylinders). Things that didn't happen: never rode the clutch, never overrev'd the engine (I babied this thing for the 2 hrs I had it), temp never went past halfway, never ground the gears, no "safety" lights went on, and have been driving stick for 17 years (yeah, I'm old). It's a week later and it's still at the dealership. I want them to replace the clutch but they refuse to. Anyone have this happen to them or have any ideas? Thanks.
  • sssfegysssfegy Posts: 132
    Mazda recalled the all weather mats because they were too thick, and would make the clutch feel like its sticking, but I don't think its that, since you could not engage the tranny, just a thought.
  • I bought a 2004 Mazda 3 S, four door a few years back, brand new. It is a 5 speed. I too, had to replace the entire clutch after having the vehcile for 3 days. Luckily, it was under warrenty but the dealership tooks its sweet time replacing it. The guy whom replaced the clutch was a JERK! He was accusing me of not being able to drive clutch and that I had no idea what I was doing.

I mean, the ENTIRE clutch was shredded. He even saved my fly wheel and all the gears and showed them to me and my boyfriend at the time. I mean, he really went out of his way to make me feel like a piece of crap.

I KNOW how to drive manual. It was a bad clutch. I am relieved to see others here had the same issue and I was not the only one. The day my clutch died was one of the worst days of my life. I felt awlful. I only had that car for THREE DAYS!

Other than that, I have not had issues with the car or clutch. It is an absolute joy to have and drive.