Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 3 Transmission Problems

Comments

• Well my clutch is fixed. It turns out a ball joint that the clutch level rests on was never lubed in the factory. The joint was dry and rusty when the mechanic opened it up, hence my poor clutch motion.

Everything is sealed up again and I'm promised it will never be an issue.

When I had the tires replaced at 17k, I did an alignment. There was a lot out of whack with the alignment and I'm hoping that helps explain the poor tire life somewhat. However, 17k miles is still terrible for stock tires, no matter how you look at it.
  • I don't understand why your transmission and alternator weren't covered by warranty. Were you out of the time frame for the warranty? I thought 04's had a 4/50k warranty. Neither of these parts are wear items like a clutch friction plate or brake pads.
  • My car is 04, so it is considered 5 years old and thus out of warranty.
  • Oh then, that makes sense. You sure don't drive much :)
  • fkwufkwu Posts: 9
    How often do I need to change my 2008 Mazda3 transmission fluid? It does not say in the owner's manual.
  • My Mazda 3 hatchback makes a clunk that is audible on the drivers side after going in reverse, (consistently at 15 mph) before it shifts to second gear. The dealer says this is the ABS pump. I do not hear the noise when going from park to drive, only after reverse. Am I getting a valid diagnosis?
  • the powertrain warrenty is 5 years to the in service date and 60,000 miles(which means the date the car was picked up and thats when the warrenty begins so if your 3 was bought oct 04 your tranny should be covered. if not raise hell and call head office.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,692
    I think the warranty for 2004 Mazdas was four years, 50,000 miles.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    That is correct Mazda formerly had 4 year bumper to bumper and no special power train warranty, I believe this changed to 3 year 36 K mi (and 5 year power train) with the 2007 model year.
  • I have a manual 2006 Mazda3 Hatchback with 55,000 miles on it. My transmission stopped working while I was coming down a mountain yesterday. Just heard a "bam" and while down shifting, then it was pretty much like my car was in neutral no matter which gear I had it in.

Had a Mazda mechanic inspect the car today and he says that my clutch probably broke and that my engine mount is broken as well. Quote was $1100 for replacing clutch and $200 for engine mount USD.

Unfortunately, my 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty just expired. Really disappointed as I expected the transmission to be much stronger than this and I've been driving the car pretty conservatively because I want it to last.

I'm going to call Mazda customer support on Monday to see if I can get any deal worked out with them.I'm hoping for the best and I'll be sure give you guys updates.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    I'm going to call Mazda customer support on Monday to see if I can get any deal worked out with them

Things to consider:
    - Have you followed all the maintenance work recommended in the driver's manual?
    - Was the maintenance done by a Mazda dealership?
    - Do you have documentation for the above?
    - When exactly did your warranty expire?
    - Are you a first time buyer of Mazda or are you a repeat customer?

Your reasoning could be along the lines that:
    - your car was driven responsibly and serviced by a reputable garage and that its parts should therefore be sound after only 55K and (4?) years of driving.
    - A transmission failing at 55K is unacceptable.
    - If a full repair can not be warrantied, you would consider a compromise of 90% (or whatever you feel is correct).
    - If you are unsatisfied with the compromise, declare that you will never consider another vehicle in this brand and that you will warn family and friends of your case.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "- Have you followed all the maintenance work recommended in the driver's manual?"

What maintenance is called for on the manual transmission? :confuse: I checked the Owner's Manual of my 2009 Mazda3 and there is absolutely zero maintenance called for vis-a-vis the manual transmission in my car.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    There may not be any maintenance specified even for an automatic transmission these days. Neither my 2007 Mazda6 nor my wife's 2005 VW call for transmission fluid changes in the maintenance schedule.

Anyway, it appears that the failure is actually the clutch. Can probably replace that for somewhat less than the $1100 dealer price, by having it done elsewhere.
  • :lemon:

I will look at the "lemon law". Class action will do it for me. I'm having major problems with my transmission. Worst of all, I'm current unemployed.
  • Hi all. I'm new to the forum so bear with me. Last week my wife noticed a puddle of red fluid under my 04 mazda 3 as backed out of the garage. Knowing red meant transmission, I immediately took it in to have it checked out. I have 134K miles on this car but it drives like it did the first day I got it. Well wouldn't you know it, dealership says I need a new $3000 transmission. I was really hoping I could get at least 250k miles out of this car because I babied it to death. It was serviced everytime the sticker in window said to bring it in. I'm not paying $3000 for another transmission. Dealer says I could drive it indefinitely if I keep the trans fluid topped off. I guess another car is in my future. What do you guys think? Have I gotten my monies worth out of this car?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I put a brand new transmission in the family ride a couple of years ago that had well over 100,000 miles as well. Why? Because three grand is a heck of a lot cheaper than a new car and at the time I couldn't afford a new car. The good news was that the new tranny was still going strong another 100,000 miles down the road when I traded it in. I say put the new tranny in your Mazda3 and hang in there untill you get to your quarter of a million mile mark.

FWIW, this particular was the first vehicle my wife and I had ever bought with an automatic transmission (most minivans don't come with the option of a stick), and as if I didn't need another reason to get my Mazda3 with a manual transmission, the failed automatic added to that list. Personally I think it is the rare automatic that can go 250,000 miles and not fail, however, modern manual transmissions rarely even need a clutch by that point.
  • did anybody figure out what was causing this my 05 just started doing the same thing.
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Posts: 48
    I would take the car to a third party transmission shop, who may advise rebuilding your transmission instead or replacing it. This should be cheaper than installing a new one and should let your car make it through 200K mark no problem.
  • oh my god. did you feel your transmission slipping at some point? like maybe slow acceleration but with really high rpm?
    take the car to a third party transmission shop, who may advise rebuilding your transmission

Sounds like good advice to me.

134K miles for a transmission is not bad. And, as others have remarked, $3K for a new transmission to go another 100K miles seems like good value. A rebuilt should be less. On the other hand, a new car may be what you really want! ;) Keep us posted.
  • Car starts, sounds great. Engage clutch - moves as should, shifts as should...Car will not move? Scanned for codes, nothing coming up. Any suggestions?
  • rudyjackrudyjack Posts: 3
    edited February 2010
    My 2007 Mazda 3 Grand Touring 4 door 5 speed automatic hatchback has been exhibiting baffling, strange, and disconcerting acceleration. When braking while going downhill and then coming to a stop, I apply the gas pedal and there is a delay of 1 - 2 second delay. Then, the car takes off with the feeling like you've been flooring the accelerator even though I'm only feathering and lightly applying the gas pedal. The sound is like an old cow. The one dealer said that's "normal." I'm not sure and worried. Any ideas?
  • xosummerlynnoxxosummerlynnox Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Im having several problems with my 2005 automatic mazda 3 hatchback and I could really use some help seeing as I know very little about cars! That being said I used to own a 04 mazda 6 that I loved but unfortunately crashed. I've always preferred Mazdas over other cars and never had problems with my old one but this on isn't off to a good start.

I bought the car used and it had 62,000km. I've only driven it to 65,500km. Here are the problems Ive occured and Id appreciate any feedback as Im taking it in to be looked at, at my Mazda dealership in a few days and really don't want to be taken advantage of.

While accelerating there is a large, extremely noticeable jolting motion as the car switches between gears.

When making a right turn, with passengers or weight in the back, there is a loud squeak from the rear right side of car.

When holding the brake with the transmission in drive and in a stopped position i.e. red light, the car vibrates. This is most prominent and heard in the dashboard.

When driving the car after it has not been used for 2-3 hours, the brakes squeak loudly.

When not on automatic the wiper blades only go one speed, regardless if they are on speed one or two.

:confuse: :confuse: :cry: :cry:
    While accelerating there is a large, extremely noticeable jolting motion as the car switches between gears.
    What happens when decelerating?

When making a right turn, with passengers or weight in the back, there is a loud squeak from the rear right side of car.
    This issue sounds like a suspension problem. I wonder if it may be the stabilizer link.

When holding the brake with the transmission in drive and in a stopped position i.e. red light, the car vibrates. This is most prominent and heard in the dashboard. Some vibration is normal, but if it is prominent that sounds problematic. Does it sound the same when you switch it to Neutral?

When driving the car after it has not been used for 2-3 hours, the brakes squeak loudly.
    Your brakes may be rusty or you may need new brake pads. If the squeaking disappears after you drive a bit then it's only rust burning off, which is okay.

When not on automatic the wiper blades only go one speed, regardless if they are on speed one or two.
    This may be a nuisance that you can live with while having the other problems corrected.

It's curious that none of these problems were evident when you first bought the car.
  • sunset19sunset19 Posts: 4
    edited March 2010
    My 2004 automatic transmission just went also. No warning. It just wouldn't accelerate past 40mph one day while trying to merge onto the highway. It has 48,000 miles! I'm out of warranty. After reading everything here I'm quite concerned about even bothering to have it rebuilt or replaced. I don't want to have to replace it again!
    edited March 2010
    My 2004 automatic transmission just went ... It has 48,000 miles!

Sorry to hear that. What did your mechanic say was the cause of the failure?
    Is yours a 2.0 or the 2.3 L litre engine?

p.s. My 2002 automatic 2.0L Mazds Protege5 continues humming along at nearly 80K miles.
  • sstoutsstout Posts: 2
    2006 Mazda 3 - 5 speed 2.0. We just had to replace our clutch. Being front wheel drive, we took it in to a shop.
    It's the 2.0 L. They replaced a solenoid they thought was causing it. I drove it away, the AT light came on and the problem was not fixed. Went to transmission place to get another diagnostic - All that came up this time was the "Gear 3 incorrect ratio" warning. They said they'll need to open it up to figure it out. I've had 3 diagnostics now of different sorts to figure this out. Mazda wants to do their diagnostic. Though Mazda dealer said they would call the transmission place to talk to them directly because I told Mazda I was tired of paying for diagnostics.
    edited March 2010
    All that came up this time was the "Gear 3 incorrect ratio" warning. They said they'll need to open it up to figure it out
    This seems to be the P0733 fault in the OBD. Based on a cursory Google search, it sounds like your transmission may need to be opened up to determine the source of the problem. I'd contact your Mazda dealer and the manufacturer (MazdaUSA) and state that a transmission failure on a 6 year old car with only 48K is premature and that you want them to look into it in order to correct the situation.
    Well I've done what you suggested. Filed a request for after-warranty repair on my Mazda. Mazda says it's too long out of warranty and they will do nothing. So I'm getting it replaced with another rebuilt one for 1/2 the cost that the dealer would replace it. And I am getting a good warranty for the transmission this time. Better than the original warranty on the Mazda!!! Guess I'm gonna just have to check the trans fluid every time I get my oil changed to look out for potential problems. Never thought I would have had to do that on such a low mileage car! Oh well. Mazda will be hearing from me again.